PDA

View Full Version : 8 Orgs to join before you run for office

cjm
09-17-2012, 06:42 PM
The idea here isn't to merely join these groups, but become one of their hardest workers and leaders. The recording quality isn't all that great but it's probably worth sitting through if you are considering running for office someday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvZ0vC4MiJQ&feature=BFa&list=SP83C8353A556C09EF

Here are my notes on the eight types of organizations:

Religious

Find a church that fits your theology but has great community outreach.
join interfaith groups

Neighborhood

Homeowner Association
Neighborhood Association
Tenant Associations
also look for area-wide coalitions

School

PTA/PTO
Booster clubs
Mentor groups

Community

Service clubs: Rotary, Lions, Kiwanis, Junior League, etc
Find out what clubs your mayor and city council are members of

Business

Chamber of Commerce
business/trade groups

Political Party

Political Campaign

Political Advocacy

Sierra Club, NRA, etc

kcchiefs6465
06-26-2014, 11:11 PM
Bump.

gnuschler
07-04-2014, 07:54 AM
These are groups we should probably join regardless of whether we are running for office or not.

cjm
07-11-2014, 12:22 AM
These are groups we should probably join regardless of whether we are running for office or not.

exactly. "opinion leaders" for communities play a big role in shaping those communities' views.

William Tell
09-22-2014, 04:52 PM
Also http://www.jbs.org/ Especially if you have a local chapter.

mosquitobite
09-22-2014, 05:49 PM
I concur with this thread!

You can sit on the computer and on facebook trying to "educate", donate a few dollars here and there and try to make change that way...
or...
You can get involved, allow people to get to KNOW you, build relationships/trust, and then MAKE CHANGE happen.

Quit waiting for someone else to make changes! Get in there and start the process NOW. We need change in every county, every city across this nation.

You don't have a "few more years" before deciding to get active. This movement needs you off your butt - NOW!

If we were in power, we'd hate for people to come along once every 4 years and demand their minority ideas to be heard. Why do we not expect others to do that? Get out there, find a good candidate to support (or become that candidate), and allow people to know your name, your face! Then in 2016 when you support Rand - you're not seen as some crybaby outsider. You're just "one of them" with a differing opinion!

Matt Collins
09-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Yes... but the trick is not to be divisive or take any leadership role other than as a figurehead.. you dont want to create enemies, you want to be liked by everyone.

Matt Collins
09-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Also http://www.jbs.org/ Especially if you have a local chapter.
Uh no... that's not a very good idea since the JBS has been painted as a racist organization.

William Tell
09-22-2014, 08:24 PM
Uh no... that's not a very good idea since the JBS has been painted as a racist organization.

Just like I should not have voted for Ron Paul since he was painted a racist:p
Get over it, Ron Paul and Paul Broun have both spoken at JBS events. Most of the serious Paul supporters I know are members.

mosquitobite
09-22-2014, 08:43 PM
Yes... but the trick is not to be divisive or take any leadership role other than as a figurehead.. you dont want to create enemies, you want to be liked by everyone.

I partially agree with you.

At first, yes. Just try with all your might to get along with people. Build relationships.

And then take power. ;)

But you better be PREPARED to take that power and do something with it. Taking power just to take power gets us nowhere if we can't maintain it!