PDA

View Full Version : Major error in USA Today ad!!! last minute adjustment needed

max
11-19-2007, 10:28 AM
I just caughts this...and no...this has nothing to do with my opposition to my original letter having been watered down...

But there is a line in there that is factually WRONG...

"all to often the trusted allies you support with generous foreign aid packages become enemies that kill your brave troops"...(paraphrasing)

What nation that receives "generous foreign aid packages" has "killed our troops in battle"? (other than Israel murdering 37 US sailors in 1967, Google: USS Liberty)...but I dont think thats what we're talking about.

"Al Qaeda" is not a nation that received "generous foreign aid packages"

Iraq and Iran didn't receive foreign aid packages either. Selling arms does not constitute "generous foreign aid:.

This line is a serious factual error. Not only am I not aware of us going to war against a recipient of "US foreign aid packages"...but worse yet..the term..."all to often"????...It hasnt even happened once!

This is a fictitious sentence...a gross misinterpretation of history that could give detractors a LEGITIMATE opening to say what fools we are......You cant go full page in Americas largest paper with such a baseless claim

....Larry...please call USA Today and correct this line...there's still time

kylejack
11-19-2007, 10:31 AM
I just caughts this...and no...this has nothing to do with my opposition to my original letter having been watered down...

"all to often the trusted allies you support with generous foreign aid packages become enemies that kill your brave troops"...(paraphrasing)

What nation that receives "generous foreign aid packages" has "killed our troops in battle"? (other than Israel murdering 37 US sailors in 1967, Google: USS Liberty)...but I dont think thats what we're talking about.

Iraq. Weapons we GIVE to Iraqi police are falling into the hands of insurgents who kill our troops. Money we GIVE to Iraq goes missing, billions of it.

aroberso
11-19-2007, 10:33 AM
I think this post is troll bait

Johnnybags
11-19-2007, 10:33 AM

"Al Qaeda" is not a nation that received "generous foreign aid packages"

Iraq and Iran didn't receive foreign aid packages either. Selling arms does not constitute "generous foreign aid:.

This line is a serious factual error. Not only am I not aware of us going to war against a recipient of "US foreign aid packages"...but worse yet..the term..."all to often"????...It hasnt even happened once!

This is a fictitious sentence...a gross misinterpretation of history that could give detractors a LEGITIMATE opening to say what fools we are......You cant go full page in Americas largest paper with such a baseless claim

....Larry...please call USA Today and correct this line...there's still time

Gee, ya think the Pakistanis in Waziristan have killed out troops? How about the Saudi Arabia, look the other way policy of Al Quaeda crossing into Iraq? The ad is fine. Of course no state is going to announce it as policy. They do it behind the scenes.

jb4ronpaul
11-19-2007, 10:36 AM
we did arm bin laden et al

Bradley in DC
11-19-2007, 10:36 AM

Max, relax, the ad is correct. We were funding the Taliban in their anti-narcotics operations, etc. There are LOTS of other examples: Noriega in Panama, Montesinos in Peru, ... Please, no one interfer with Larry's good work.

Mark Rushmore
11-19-2007, 10:37 AM
allies ... given generous foreign aid packages...

While foreign aid packages are most usually thought of as sent to nations, the line doesn't explicitly claim such, and the idea of:

foreign - external to our nation
aid - aid
package - various composite pieces of aid

would apply in numerous cases.

RP says as much with regards to Afghanistan. (http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2001/tst110501.htm)

If they really have "to often" instead of "too often", I might be worried about simpler mistakes throughout.

tremendoustie
11-19-2007, 10:42 AM
Um, assisting bin laden against the soviets? Assisting iraq in the invasion of iran? Assisting pakistan now, with the civil and political rights abuses occuring, and weapons going to terrorists? Assisting saudi arabia, who is has been reported to support terrorist operations?

JoshLowry
11-19-2007, 10:43 AM
Send a private message to llepard if you feel strongly enough about it.

Thanks.