PDA

View Full Version : Twisted manipulation of "The-News"

tod evans
09-16-2012, 07:34 AM
I know better than to read syndicated columns but out of sheer boredom this morning I indulged only to find;

Florida teen's hair ripped out by machine in wood shop class
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/15/florida-teen-hair-ripped-out-by-machine-in-wood-shop-class/#ixzz26deSrbWK

The "story" goes on to attack the teacher as well as the evil machine pulling on the reader/viewers heart-strings about the poor girl who has a bald spot for prom.

As the owner of a shop and a person who has operated various forms of equipment for over 40 years I'm comfortable making the statement that the evil drill-press didn't turn itself on, nor did the spinning bit jump out of it's orbit and grab the girls hair. The "teacher" certainly informed his students about the dangers of spinning cutters, (just in case they were too stupid to deduce that sharp metal spinning at high RPM's can damage flesh)..

So here's "The-News" pushing readers to at least pity the girl who was involved in an accident and leading the reader to hold somebody else responsible for her actions.

It's this find-fault attitude that has caused two generations of kids to miss out on shop classes in school, many of whom might have found gainful employment doing rewarding work with their hands.

I don't know this girl and it's a shame her hair got caught in a drill-press but for heavens sake it's her hair and she needs to be responsible for it....

FrankRep
09-16-2012, 07:37 AM
MyFoxOrlando isn't attacking the teacher, the Florida school district is.

A Florida school district is investigating whether a teacher violated safety procedures after a student's hair was ripped out by a wood shop machine, MyFoxOrlando.com reported.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/15/florida-teen-hair-ripped-out-by-machine-in-wood-shop-class/#ixzz26deSrbWK

kathy88
09-16-2012, 07:38 AM
On pain medication for hair ripped out? Nice plug for big pharma thrown in there too :)

tod evans
09-16-2012, 07:43 AM
Yup, I got a splinter yesterday.....It's big timbers fault for not growing splinter free walnut, where's my attorney?:rolleyes:

acptulsa
09-16-2012, 07:45 AM
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but why doesn't this country have any manufacturing jobs to speak of any more? Just can't figure that puzzle out.

tod evans
09-16-2012, 07:52 AM
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but why doesn't this country have any manufacturing jobs to speak of any more? Just can't figure that puzzle out.

Several reasons...

Welfare
More profit from using off shore mfg.
Teaching kids it's beneath them to work with their hands

I've been saying for decades that not being self sufficient will be the downfall of our nation, as the global economy bucks and squirms it takes more and more military and fake money to continue as we are...

It'll come to a head.

acptulsa
09-16-2012, 07:55 AM
Several reasons...

You don't think the fact that every drill press in the nation has three ambulance-chasing lawyers hovering around it waiting for an idiot to hurt themselves might have something to do with it?

pcosmar
09-16-2012, 08:00 AM

Because Mitt Romney (and others like him) Bought out the manufacturers (who had profits cut by Regulations and taxes),, and sold off the equipment, for a quick buck.

tod evans
09-16-2012, 08:14 AM
You don't think the fact that every drill press in the nation has three ambulance-chasing lawyers hovering around it waiting for an idiot to hurt themselves might have something to do with it?
http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/news/woodworking-industry-news/Marlite-Wood-Factory-Cited-for-Amputation-Hazards-162609316.html
DOVER, OH – Marlite Inc., a manufacturer of wood veneer and decorative laminate panels, windows and doors, has been cited for amputation and 11 other safety hazards by the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration. Proposed fines total $56,000.
OSHA said it inspected Marlite's Dover manufacturing plant in February as part of its National Emphasis Program on Amputations. OSHA inspectors issued a repeat violation for failing to provide machine guarding on drill presses. Marlite had been cited for a similar violation following a 2008 OSHA inspection.

Occam's Banana
09-16-2012, 08:17 AM

MIC procurement practices essentially destroyed the American machine-tool industry.

The Federal Reserve's discombobulation of the structure of production did for the rest.

These aren't the only factors, of course, but they are the biggies.

acptulsa
09-16-2012, 08:18 AM
Obama is selling 'initiatives' to bring manufacturing back to the U.S. Dumping OSHA in the ash can as the failed experiment it is would be one hell of a daring and effective 'initiative', would it not?

tod evans
09-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Obama is selling 'initiatives' to bring manufacturing back to the U.S. Dumping OSHA in the ash can as the failed experiment it is would be one hell of a daring and effective 'initiative', would it not?

Absolutely!

[edit]
Let's add the EPA & Forestry Dept. too.

HUD, Dept of Education, Federally funded social services,DEA, ATF, FBI, IRS could all go if he's serious about getting people back to work...

People will work if they can, companies will show profits if they can, I don't see citizens as the problem....

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
09-16-2012, 12:44 PM
I know better than to read syndicated columns but out of sheer boredom this morning I indulged only to find;

Florida teen's hair ripped out by machine in wood shop class
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/15/florida-teen-hair-ripped-out-by-machine-in-wood-shop-class/#ixzz26deSrbWK

The "story" goes on to attack the teacher as well as the evil machine pulling on the reader/viewers heart-strings about the poor girl who has a bald spot for prom.

As the owner of a shop and a person who has operated various forms of equipment for over 40 years I'm comfortable making the statement that the evil drill-press didn't turn itself on, nor did the spinning bit jump out of it's orbit and grab the girls hair. The "teacher" certainly informed his students about the dangers of spinning cutters, (just in case they were too stupid to deduce that sharp metal spinning at high RPM's can damage flesh)..

So here's "The-News" pushing readers to at least pity the girl who was involved in an accident and leading the reader to hold somebody else responsible for her actions.

It's this find-fault attitude that has caused two generations of kids to miss out on shop classes in school, many of whom might have found gainful employment doing rewarding work with their hands.

I don't know this girl and it's a shame her hair got caught in a drill-press but for heavens sake it's her hair and she needs to be responsible for it....

I don't completely disagree, but a lot of people just don't belong around machines like that. This teacher could have told people to wear safety glasses and keep their hair back 3 times per day for all we know. Some people will simply not wear safety glasses, and I'd much rather lose hair than and eye. She's lucky she didn't lose part of her face.

MyFoxOrlando isn't attacking the teacher, the Florida school district is.

A Florida school district is investigating whether a teacher violated safety procedures after a student's hair was ripped out by a wood shop machine, MyFoxOrlando.com reported.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/15/florida-teen-hair-ripped-out-by-machine-in-wood-shop-class/#ixzz26deSrbWK

The school district is attacking the teacher to cover their own asses.

tod evans
09-16-2012, 01:12 PM
I don't completely disagree, but a lot of people just don't belong around machines like that. This teacher could have told people to wear safety glasses and keep their hair back 3 times per day for all we know. Some people will simply not wear safety glasses, and I'd much rather lose hair than and eye. She's lucky she didn't lose part of her face.

Last I knew shop class was an elective and nobody is ever forced to operate machinery that they're not comfortable running...

The video was obviously shot with the intention of instilling both fear and sympathy in the viewer, with undercurrents of litigation..All it did was piss me off, no different than blaming guns for murder in my opinion.

There's a company pushing legislation for blade stopping technology on tablesaws under the guise of safety...although being as sawstop holds the patent on the technology their portfolio just grew exponentially..OSHA and the legislators are all over this while consumers and manufacturers are offering a luke-warm response to the technology.

Tools are dangerous, if it'll cut wood it'll cut flesh and bone easier....common sense goes a long way toward preventing accidents..
Shop safety is the operators responsibility whether or not it's an industrial setting or in high-school.

Wonder if it would have made "The News" if she'd stuck her hand in a garbage disposal in home ec. class?

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
09-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Last I knew shop class was an elective and nobody is ever forced to operate machinery that they're not comfortable running...

Sure, but people do stupid shit. In fact, they do a lot of it even when properly supervised.

The video was obviously shot with the intention of instilling both fear and sympathy in the viewer, with undercurrents of litigation..All it did was piss me off, no different than blaming guns for murder in my opinion.

I think it pissed you off because you're so close to it. I'm not sure they were blaming the machine. And yeah... stupid people shouldn't have guns without proper training either, but they will. Just not MY guns. Nor will anyone I care about be in that position. And if someone is in YOUR shop, it's really your responsibility to make sure they aren't being stupid. It's not like the 17 year old girl went out and bought her own drill press. (which must be one of the least threatening machines I've been around.) In that case, you fully blame the girl.

There's a company pushing legislation for blade stopping technology on tablesaws under the guise of safety...although being as sawstop holds the patent on the technology their portfolio just grew exponentially..OSHA and the legislators are all over this while consumers and manufacturers are offering a luke-warm response to the technology.

Tools are dangerous, if it'll cut wood it'll cut flesh and bone easier....common sense goes a long way toward preventing accidents..
Shop safety is the operators responsibility whether or not it's an industrial setting or in high-school.

Wonder if it would have made "The News" if she'd stuck her hand in a garbage disposal in home ec. class?

Possibly. In fact, a garbage disposal is more mysterious than a drill press if you ask me. As for that bullshit company trying to get themselves some crony money, fuck them, and I can imagine the 20 page tirade you'd write regarding OSHA and a machine shop because I've heard it for years. I'm with you 99% here. I could give a shit about the girl's prom. That must have been one sissy drill press if all she lost was hair.

However, here is where we split. If you let someone operate machines in your shop, you have a MORAL responsibility to provide proper safety training. I understand you can't make stupid people smart, but you just have to keep stupid people out if you can. Let them screw themselves up with their own machines.

Bossobass
09-16-2012, 01:46 PM

The US is currently approximately 50,000 machine tool operators short.

Every year, about 2,000 machine tool operators complete proper training.

The current average age of a machine tool operator in the US is 55 years old. The current crop is largely comprised of tail-end Boomers who are rapidly retiring.

The kids all wanna work for Goldman Sachs or win American Idol.

The current top career pursuit in America is inheritance or government cheese.

tod evans
09-16-2012, 02:12 PM
However, here is where we split. If you let someone operate machines in your shop, you have a MORAL responsibility to provide proper safety training. I understand you can't make stupid people smart, but you just have to keep stupid people out if you can. Let them screw themselves up with their own machines.

I don't think we're on different pages here either...I understand and accept the responsibility for my equipment and my shop and I hope we can agree that after 20+ years teaching it's a safe bet the teacher did too. Schools have really high hurdles they have to jump with insurance carriers just to teach basic woodworking .....I hope this accident doesn't torpedo the program, woodworking has been an honest and oft-times therapeutic occupation for many of our forefathers myself included. It would really be a shame if this girls carelessness effects the program.