PDA

View Full Version : IA-Cop shoots family dog in backyard from 30 feet away.

Anti Federalist
09-15-2012, 11:24 PM
At thirty feet?

Lucky half the neighborhood didn't get shot.

Police shoot, kill family’s dog

http://www.kcci.com/news/central-iowa/Police-shoot-kill-family-s-dog/-/9357080/16620586/-/lb5c96z/-/index.html#ixzz26bjvBzry

Sept. 15 2012

NEWTON, Iowa — A Newton woman is speaking out after she said police shot her dog Saturday morning.

A puddle of blood is visible not far from Jeri Fahrenkrug’s back yard. It is the spot where she said police shot and killed her pit bull from 30 feet away.

“I feel like I lost a child pretty much. I have been crying all day,” Fahrenkrug said. “I felt like the police officer shot my dog because he wanted to, because my dog was a pit bull. I don’t think that it was right.”

Fahrenkrug said killing her dog was unnecessary and cruel because it wasn’t hurting anyone.

Newton police said the dog got loose from its leash and tried to bite a man passing by. When an officer arrived, police said the dog lunged at him, too.

“At that point, obviously, he felt there was a threat to him or to other people’s safety, so he made a decision to shoot the dog,” said Lt. Wayne Winchell, of the Newton Police Department.

Neighbors, who said they saw the shooting from their front porches, disagreed.

“That dog did not charge at that officer at all. It was like being shot in the back,” said witness Cindi Crady.

Fahrenkrug said her dog, Griz, who was named by her 4-year-old daughter, was gentle and more like a member of the family than a pet.

“He is not vicious. He cuddles at me. He cuddles with my daughter. He is very friendly toward everyone,” Fahrenkrug said. “I don’t think that he is replaceable.”

tod evans
09-16-2012, 05:14 AM
I could see citizen review boards comprised of the dogs nearest neighbors...

Empower the board with the ability to defrock the cop and testify at civil trials.

That'd bring many of these shootings to a halt, bring neighbors closer together and hold cops accountable to the taxpayers.....

Anti Federalist
09-16-2012, 01:18 PM
////

libertyjam
09-16-2012, 02:36 PM
SO when can citizens start applying this circular force continuum I hear about for the safety of the community?

jclay2
09-16-2012, 07:03 PM
oh my gosh, if you click on the link that dog looks like the cutest most playful little furry thing imaginable. completely harmless.

Edit: Reading the comments is uplifting and depressing at the same time:

No, people need to learn how to keep their dogs under control. Police never roll up and start shooting my dog, because he's either on his leash, or in the fenced in back yard that he can't get out of.

KCIndy
09-16-2012, 08:24 PM
A puddle of blood is visible not far from Jeri Fahrenkrug’s back yard. It is the spot where she said police shot and killed her pit bull from 30 feet away....

....Newton police said the dog got loose from its leash and tried to bite a man passing by. When an officer arrived, police said the dog lunged at him, too.

A thirty foot "lunge" by the dog??? :confused:

Thirty feet....

:mad:

Maybe the cop was worried the dog was carrying a concealed weapon.

Jeez. :(

Anti Federalist
09-16-2012, 09:06 PM
oh my gosh, if you click on the link that dog looks like the cutest most playful little furry thing imaginable. completely harmless.

Edit: Reading the comments is uplifting and depressing at the same time:

No, people need to learn how to keep their dogs under control. Police never roll up and start shooting my dog, because he's either on his leash, or in the fenced in back yard that he can't get out of.

Anybody who has been following this knows that is in no way at all a safeguard against having you dog shot by cops.

bunklocoempire
09-16-2012, 09:35 PM
“At that point, obviously, he felt there was a threat to him or to other people’s safety, so he made a decision to shoot the dog,” said Lt. Wayne Winchell, of the Newton Police Department.

More of that one-way "felt" shit. :mad:

Brian4Liberty
09-16-2012, 09:52 PM
Not to say that dogs are human, but from a certain standpoint, this is an issue of due process. Why are these people given the power to be judge, jury and executioner on the streets? Established "due process" would consist of taking the animal to the pound and holding it long enough to rule out rabies. There would also be some sort of review and process before putting a pet down.

coastie
09-16-2012, 10:30 PM
SO when can citizens start applying this circular force continuum I hear about for the safety of the community?

At any point in time you can, most states have laws on the books that allow you to use up to and including deadly force to stop an unwarranted arrest, threats to your safety, etc-even against a law enforcement officer. It's the fact "we the people" have not defended ourselves enough times to get the point across.

It's too late now, and the police state would have never gotten this big and corrupt if "we the people" nipped this shit in the bud a long time ago, and not merely cowered when these thugs kicked in the door, shot their dog or kidnapped a loved one. I'm talking about the UNWARRANTED cases here, and there are far many more of those than not, I'm afraid.

It is without doubt I'd fire on ANYONE shooting my dog-she's 8 fucking pounds, and my best friend in the world.