PDA

View Full Version : Paul Ryan Slams Federal Reserve: Don't Print Money, No Sugar High Economics

FrankRep
09-15-2012, 03:08 PM
Paul Ryan Slams QE3 as ‘Sugar High Economics’ at Florida Rally (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/paul-ryan-slams-qe3-as-sugar-high-economics-at-florida-rally/)

The Blaze
Sept. 15, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iCVLa-y8gU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iCVLa-y8gU

Republican Vice Presidential candidate Paul Ryan thinks the Federal Reserve is making a big mistake in its new effort to prop up the economy.

Ryan spoke to a rally along Tampa Bay’s shore Saturday, saying the Federal Reserve’s plan to spend $40 billion a month to buy mortgage bonds in an effort to keep interest rates low will have a damaging impact on the country.

Labeling the action “insidious,” according to CNN, Ryan explained that the new round of quantitative easing will help banks and Wall Street– but not people.

“One of the most insidious things a government can do to its people is to debase its currency,” Ryan explained. “We want honest money; that means we want honest government. It’s one and the same…the secret to prosperity is not more money printing.”

Ryan continued to call the policy “sugar high economics” in a speech that, according to the Associated Press, was critical of President Obama’s policies.

“We don’t need sugar high economics; we don’t need synthetic money creation,” Ryan told the crowd of about 3,000 people. “We need economic growth. We want wealth creation. We don’t want to print money. We want opportunity and growth. And when they do this to our money, it undermines the credibility of our money.”

The Wisconsin congressman and top budget writer in the House said Obama did inherit bad situation, but made it worse.

The Obama campaign rejected Ryan’s criticisms, however, asserting that the Republican “has no credibility when it comes to helping the middle class.”

Bruehound
09-15-2012, 03:12 PM
Great job Mr. Ryan. Remind us again how you voted on TARP?

sailingaway
09-15-2012, 03:12 PM
Pander galore.

FrankRep
09-15-2012, 03:16 PM
At least he admits that the Federal Reserve just prints money and its just false growth.

acptulsa
09-15-2012, 03:20 PM
At least he admits that the Federal Reserve just prints money and its just false growth.

Not that I credit him for it. I credit us for forcing the issue out into the open.

Moments like this make it hard to stay discouraged and tell oneself we aren't making a difference.

enter`name`here
09-15-2012, 03:32 PM
This is rich..pure pandering. What it his ideal monetary policy? Given that he is such an expert. Yes it is nice to hear politicos talk about inflation, but with out some idea of how things could be handeled differently it doesnt inspire alot of confidence.

TheTexan
09-15-2012, 03:35 PM
He's just using the truth to spread lies... one of those lies, being, that we need the Fed for "price stability"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOMWXxz0LoU

Occam's Banana
09-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Not that I credit him for it. I credit us for forcing the issue out into the open.

Moments like this make it hard to stay discouraged and tell oneself we aren't making a difference.

Exactly. Useful idiots are useful.

Brett85
09-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Wow, Paul Ryan really can't win. When he comes out with a position that people here disagree with, he gets criticized. When he comes out with a position that people here agree with, he gets accused of "pandering." What exactly is the point of Paul Ryan or anyone else trying to reach out to us when we won't give him any credit at all for getting things right?

newbitech
09-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Wow, Paul Ryan really can't win. When he comes out with a position that people here disagree with, he gets criticized. When he comes out with a position that people here agree with, he gets accused of "pandering." What exactly is the point of Paul Ryan or anyone else trying to reach out to us when we won't give him any credit at all for getting things right?

actions

Occam's Banana
This is rich..pure pandering. What it his ideal monetary policy? Given that he is such an expert. Yes it is nice to hear politicos talk about inflation, but with out some idea of how things could be handeled differently it doesnt inspire alot of confidence.

Right. I don't think for a second that Ryan really understands (or even gives a damn about) "honest" money or sound monetary policy.

He's just playing the angle ... and thereby giving genuinely anti-Fed/anti-fiat critics of the status quo more "social credibility."

TheTexan

He gets accused of pandering because he is pandering. He's taking an idea that we threw out there, and using it just as a political tool of left vs right, to get elected for his own personal and economic gain.

He doesn't give a shit about it. TARP is proof.

acptulsa
09-15-2012, 03:53 PM

I'll give him all the credit in the world for 'getting things right'--as soon as he gets a real live vote right. Meanwhile we have every reason to feel about this the way Democrats feel about Obama talking peace.

You forget we've been fooled before...

Brett85
09-15-2012, 03:56 PM
I'll give him all the credit in the world for 'getting things right'--as soon as he gets a real live vote right. Meanwhile we have every reason to feel about this the way Democrats feel about Obama talking peace.

You forget we've been fooled before...

He voted to audit the Federal Reserve, right? I have criticized Ryan for his votes in favor of No Child Left Behind, Medicare Part D, TARP, the auto bailouts, etc. But I'm just not going to criticize someone for moving in our direction on the issues, regardless of what their motivation. Even if he is just pandering, it should make us feel good that he's actually pandering to us and paying attention to us. It's much better than being ignored.

LibertyEagle
09-15-2012, 03:57 PM
He's just using the truth to spread lies... one of those lies, being, that we need the Fed for "price stability"

Ha ha!!! How is that price stability working out, Congressman Ryan?

TheTexan
09-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Traditional Conservative, should we get on board with Romney too? He says he wants to cut spending by 20%! Isn't that great?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KHdd_O5lTU

LibertyEagle
09-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Traditional Conservative, should we get on board with Romney too? He says he wants to cut spending by 20%! Isn't that great?

He didn't say to get on board with anyone. Just that maybe we ought to praise them when they do right, in addition to castrating them when they do wrong.

Brett85
09-15-2012, 04:03 PM

I always tell people that they can vote for whoever they want to. I don't tell people how to vote. I tell them to just vote their conscience. Right now, my conscience is telling me that I don't want to vote for Romney, because it's quite likely that he may get us involved in another war. But I'm also not going to criticize those who feel like they should vote for Romney/Ryan in order to get rid of Obama. People should just do what they think is right and not listen to what others tell them to do.

Brett85
09-15-2012, 04:04 PM
He didn't say to get on board with anyone. Just that maybe we ought to praise them when they do right, in addition to castrating them when they do wrong.

Exactly. I've been extremely critical of Ryan. I still view him as a phony fiscal conservative. But I'll still give him credit when he gets something right.

pcosmar
09-15-2012, 04:05 PM
But I'm just not going to criticize someone for moving in our direction on the issues, regardless of what their motivation. Even if he is just pandering,

:confused:

WTF?
If mental gymnastics were an Olympic event,, you would win a gold.

Dr.3D
09-15-2012, 04:06 PM

Isn't he just saying he wants to cut any increase in spending by 20%? I doubt any of them actually want to cut any real spending.

pcosmar
09-15-2012, 04:06 PM
But I'll still give him credit when he gets something right.

He is not "getting something right".
He is lying to your face.

TheTexan
09-15-2012, 04:07 PM
He voted to audit the Federal Reserve, right? I have criticized Ryan for his votes in favor of No Child Left Behind, Medicare Part D, TARP, the auto bailouts, etc. But I'm just not going to criticize someone for moving in our direction on the issues, regardless of what their motivation. Even if he is just pandering, it should make us feel good that he's actually pandering to us and paying attention to us. It's much better than being ignored.

He's a liar, plain and simple. I do not want liars using our positions for their own political left vs right purposes. It gives them credibility when we don't call them on it, it makes us look bad when they vote for shit like TARP and auto bailouts (not to mention, Patriot Act, unconstitutional wars, etc).

You get Paul Ryan to go on television and tell the American people that printing money is theft, plain and simple, and I'll adjust my opinion of him accordingly. Until then, he's just another fake who misrepresents our positions and is not to be trusted

FrankRep
09-15-2012, 04:07 PM
:confused:

WTF?
If mental gymnastics were an Olympic event,, you would win a gold.

That's what Politicians do, they Pander. Welcome to Politics.

TheTexan
09-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Isn't he just saying he wants to cut any increase in spending by 20%? I doubt any of them actually want to cut any real spending.

His claim in the video was government spending is currently 25% of the economy and he wants to bring that down to 20%

Dr.3D
09-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Pander... emmm... isn't that what some people on the east coast call a Panda?

TheTexan
09-15-2012, 04:11 PM

Letting liars lie because their lie is in "agreement" with you is absolutely "getting on board," even if you don't see it in those terms. It's getting on board with lying.

Dr.3D
09-15-2012, 04:11 PM
His claim in the video was government spending is currently 25% of the economy and he wants to bring that down to 20%
There are those who would say the economy is doing poorly now and would ask, what would happen if the economy went down 20% more due to cuts in government spending?

:D

Brett85
09-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Letting liars lie because their lie is in "agreement" with you is absolutely "getting on board," even if you don't see it in those terms. It's getting on board with lying.

So you would like it better if Paul Ryan came out and said that he loved the Federal Reserve and supported QE3?

Dr.3D
09-15-2012, 04:13 PM
So you would like it better if Paul Ryan came out and said that he loved the Federal Reserve and supported QE3?
At least he wouldn't be lying. :D

LibertyEagle

It is more than likely a lie, I agree. But, if he actually follows through with actions, then that deserves praise, in my opinion. I will never trust him though. But, rarely is someone ALL bad or ALL good.

TheTexan
There are those who would say the economy is doing poorly now and would ask, what would happen if the economy went down 20% more due to cuts in government spending?

:D

And Romney would probably agree with those people, and Paul Ryan would say he'd be for increasing spending even though its against his principles, so that he can protect his principles

Dr.3D
09-15-2012, 04:14 PM
And Romney would probably agree with those people, and Paul Ryan would say he'd be for increasing spending even though its against his principles, so that he can protect his principles
Sounds like something he would say.

PaulConventionWV
09-15-2012, 04:17 PM

I don't scrounge for people to pay attention to me. I don't need Paul Ryan to pander to me in order to feel like I'm important. I know where he stands, and I don't like it. I'm not fooled by his facade. I'm going to criticize someone who's obviously a big government phony posing as "Tea Party" just to sway the sheeple. It's pretty obvious where his true loyalty lies, so why are you defending him? He doesn't offer any real solutions, just more "Hay guyz, I don't like what you don't like, yeah!"

As soon as I hear him talking about real solutions like Ron Paul instead of throwing out buzzwords like Rick Perry did, and like Huckabee did, and like a ton of others did just to appear to have tea party cred. Don't defend this evil bastard. Don't stoop to that level.

nano1895
09-15-2012, 04:19 PM
He's only doing this because it happened under the Obama administration.

PaulConventionWV
09-15-2012, 04:20 PM

I don't encourage pandering when I know it's pandering. If you think you can encourage good behavior from evil people, think again. You would be wasting your time.

Brett85
09-15-2012, 04:21 PM
I don't scrounge for people to pay attention to me. I don't need Paul Ryan to pander to me in order to feel like I'm important. I know where he stands, and I don't like it. I'm not fooled by his facade. I'm going to criticize someone who's obviously a big government phony posing as "Tea Party" just to sway the sheeple. It's pretty obvious where his true loyalty lies, so why are you defending him? He doesn't offer any real solutions, just more "Hay guyz, I don't like what you don't like, yeah!"

As soon as I hear him talking about real solutions like Ron Paul instead of throwing out buzzwords like Rick Perry did, and like Huckabee did, and like a ton of others did just to appear to have tea party cred. Don't defend this evil bastard. Don't stoop to that level.

How do you define "defending?" I've basically said that if Romney/Ryan get elected, I'll praise them when I think they do something right, and I'll harshly criticize them when I think they do something wrong. Nobody is 100% good or 100% bad. I just give Ryan credit for coming out with this position; I'm not saying that I agree with all his big government votes in Congress.

TheTexan
09-15-2012, 04:24 PM

Yes, actually. I would much rather that he honestly represented his own positions instead of misrepresenting ours.

PaulConventionWV
09-15-2012, 04:24 PM

Yes, I would. I would love it if he would be honest with us.

DavidK
09-15-2012, 04:26 PM
More pandering to Ron Paul supporters. You're not getting my vote Mr. Voted for TARP

FrankRep
09-15-2012, 04:26 PM
Yes, actually. I would much rather that he honestly represented his own positions instead of misrepresenting ours.
The Federal Reserve is getting blamed for the recent U.S. Credit downgrade. This may just be Paul Ryan's actual position.

Marc Faber: If I Were Bernanke, I Would Resign
http://www.cnbc.com/id/49029923

Egan-Jones Analyst Hints At US Rating Downgrade Post QE3
http://www.forexlive.com/blog/2012/09/13/egan-jones-analyst-hints-at-us-rating-downgrade-post-qe3/

PaulConventionWV
09-15-2012, 04:31 PM
How do you define "defending?" I've basically said that if Romney/Ryan get elected, I'll praise them when I think they do something right, and I'll harshly criticize them when I think they do something wrong. Nobody is 100% good or 100% bad. I just give Ryan credit for coming out with this position; I'm not saying that I agree with all his big government votes in Congress.

I'll praise them when they do something right, too, but I'm not going to praise him for pandering. Maybe nobody is 100% good or bad either way, but he is working against us, not for us. He is big government through and through. I don't care what good he has in his heart because I know there is also a lot of evil, and that evil involves coercing America into accepting the ever-increasing police state along with more inflation, war, and social warfare. That evil involves making laws that further restrict us in our freedom, and he knows damn well what he's doing. He's not some puppy that can be trained to think like us when we give him positive reinforcement. He knows exactly what he's doing and he will not be swayed by our smiles. We are in far more danger of being swayed ourselves when we treat these people like honest people who really want the people to be happy.

I should amend that sentiment to include that I don't praise someone if they vote right but for the wrong reasons. If I can see when someone doesn't truly support the vote in its full philosophical implications, I offer no praise for that person.

pcosmar
09-15-2012, 04:32 PM
This may just be Paul Ryan's actual position.

He does not have a position until it is given to him.
And it is given to him by those that OWN the federal Reserve.

This is theatrics.

TheTexan
09-15-2012, 04:34 PM
The Obama campaign rejected Ryan’s criticisms, however, asserting that the Republican “has no credibility when it comes to helping the middle class.”

Precisely correct Obama! I agree with you on this issue Obama. You have done this forum, this country, this world a service with your constructive, and true, comment.

Well done, Obama!

FrankRep
09-15-2012, 04:35 PM
He does not have a position until it is given to him.
And it is given to him by those that OWN the federal Reserve.

This is theatrics.
Do you have documented proof that Paul Ryan has connections to the Federal Reserve or are you just blowing off hot air?

pcosmar
09-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Do you have documented proof that Paul Ryan has connections to the Federal Reserve or are you just blowing off hot air?

I am saying that he is a bought and paid for puppet,, or he would not be Romney running partner.
He is in that position because he is in the pocket of the Federal Reserve and affiliates.

The election is theatrics. The illusion of choice.

WilliamShrugged
09-15-2012, 05:46 PM

Yeah! At least then he would be deemed less of a Ayn Rand supporting free marketer, and more of a progressive.

belian78
09-15-2012, 05:51 PM
And that's exactly why we are all here now, because one man dared not to.

FrankRep
09-15-2012, 05:53 PM
And that's exactly why we are all here now, because one man dared not to.
Okay. Now what?

belian78
09-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Okay. Now what?
Now we do exactly what we're doing in this thread. We call out lying panderers when they pander, and we promote those like Massie and others that truly deserve promoted. Was that supposed to be a hard question to answer?

pcosmar
09-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Okay. Now what?

Ya'all can do what you want.
I am preparing for and expecting the inevitable.

PaulConventionWV
09-15-2012, 06:24 PM
Okay. Now what?

Now we all collectively assert our individuality, duh.

And if you don't, you're a liberty-hating, fascist, freedomophobe.

Sola_Fide
09-15-2012, 06:34 PM

My own personal view is that I will only look favorably on Republicans who have never supported bailouts of any kind. This issue to me is a litmus test for fiscal conservatism. You are not a fiscal conservative if you have supported bailouts, and I will not believe anything you say to me regarding monetary policy.

AGRP
09-15-2012, 06:37 PM
Does Paul Ryan think we have short memories?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyJBZYz858M&feature=youtube_gdata

chudrockz
09-15-2012, 06:54 PM

Thus, as others have already plainly stated, you give him credit for LYING! It's asinine.

George W. campaigned a TON on having a "humble" foreign policy. Some people believed him.

pcosmar
09-15-2012, 07:03 PM
You can tell when they are lying.
Their lips move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP9_kkzfN-w

Brett85
09-15-2012, 07:06 PM
My own personal view is that I will only look favorably on Republicans who have never supported bailouts of any kind. This issue to me is a litmus test for fiscal conservatism. You are not a fiscal conservative if you have supported bailouts, and I will not believe anything you say to me regarding monetary policy.

Tom Coburn is a strong fiscal conservative who has been advocating big cuts in the defense budget, and he voted for the bailouts.

king_nothing_
09-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Tom Coburn is a strong fiscal conservative who has been advocating big cuts in the defense budget, and he voted for the bailouts.
The last part of that sentence falsifies the assertion made in the first part of it. Are you even listening to yourself? "He's a strong fiscal conservative, except for that time when he voted for $700 billion in bailouts for banks."

"G. W. was a strong anti-policeman-of-the-world guy, except for that time when he policed the world."

"Obama was a strong peace advocate, except for that time when he bombed those countries."

The Gold Standard
09-15-2012, 07:44 PM
What exactly is the point of Paul Ryan or anyone else trying to reach out to us when we won't give him any credit at all for getting things right?

Now you're getting somewhere. There is no point to Paul Ryan reaching out to us. He should be rotting in prison.

Sola_Fide
09-15-2012, 07:49 PM
The last part of that sentence falsifies the assertion made in the first part of it. Are you even listening to yourself? "He's a strong fiscal conservative, except for that time when he voted for $700 billion in bailouts for banks."

"G. W. was a strong anti-policeman-of-the-world guy, except for that time when he policed the world."

"Obama was a strong peace advocate, except for that time when he bombed those countries."

I'm pretty sure that Coburn only voted for the Bush stimulus, but still, that is a huge black mark for me. That will always be in the back of my mind when I hear him speak or read something from him.

The Gold Standard
09-15-2012, 07:50 PM

Yes, because if he and Mitt are elected we will have QE4 and QE5, and when he shit comes crashing down the ignorant masses will only remember Ryan and the Republicans trashing the Fed, and they will assume the central bank haters caused the collapse.

king_nothing_
09-15-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm pretty sure that Coburn only voted for the Bush stimulus, but still, that is a huge black mark for me. That will always be in the back of my mind when I hear him speak or read something from him.
http://www.thepoliticalguide.com/Profiles/Senate/Oklahoma/Tom_Coburn/Views/TARP/

The Gold Standard
09-15-2012, 07:54 PM

The last part of your statement invalidates the first part.

Brett85
09-15-2012, 07:59 PM

Have you actually looked at his overall record?

RickyJ
09-15-2012, 08:00 PM
Great job Mr. Ryan. Remind us again how you voted on TARP?

In order to preserve his principles he voted for the bill that offended his principles. That was his excuse for voting for TARP. The guy is every bit the serial liar Mitt Romney is.

RickyJ
09-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Yes, because if he and Mitt are elected we will have QE4 and QE5, and when he shit comes crashing down the ignorant masses will only remember Ryan and the Republicans trashing the Fed, and they will assume the central bank haters caused the collapse.

We are going to have that regardless who is elected. This election is over, America loses and Israel wins yet again. Democracy in America is an illusion, it doesn't exist at the national level.

The Gold Standard
09-15-2012, 08:05 PM
We are going to have that regardless who is elected. This election is over, America loses and Israel wins yet again. Democracy in America is an illusion, it doesn't exist at the national level.

Yes, but if Obama and his pro-central planning rhetoric are in there when it happens, it will be harder for the state propaganda machine to blame the "free market".

Working Poor
09-15-2012, 08:06 PM

Yea he needs to pander his ass off IMO

Sola_Fide
09-15-2012, 08:21 PM
http://www.thepoliticalguide.com/Profiles/Senate/Oklahoma/Tom_Coburn/Views/TARP/

Wow. Thanks. Forgot about that. Make that a HUGE black mark then.

king_nothing_
09-15-2012, 08:28 PM
That is your response?

Are you unwilling to acknowledge that voting for $700 billion in bailouts to banks is antithetical to the term "fiscal conservatism"? If you can't do that, then we're done here, because there is absolutely no use in further discussing anything pertaining to fiscal conservatism with you. I could not care less how fiscally conservative the rest of his record is once you put aside that little $700 billion bailout vote, the same way I wouldn't care less how many thieves someone caught in their life before they orchestrated a heist, or how many people's lives someone saved before they decided to start murdering people.

WilliamShrugged
09-15-2012, 08:33 PM

I guess 1 vote that goes against being a fiscal conservative is a better viewpoint than noticing that he voted once for a 700 billion dollar bailout:rolleyes:

AGRP
09-15-2012, 08:47 PM

Why are you here?

FrankRep
09-15-2012, 08:50 PM

Here's a pretty good list of Paul Ryan's voting record. It's not good.

The Paul Ryan Record – Not as Fiscally Conservative as You Think (http://www.rlc.org/2012/08/11/the-paul-ryan-record/)

Republican Liberty Caucus
August 11, 2012

Brett85
09-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Here's a pretty good list of Paul Ryan's voting record. It's not good.

The Paul Ryan Record – Not as Fiscally Conservative as You Think (http://www.rlc.org/2012/08/11/the-paul-ryan-record/)

Republican Liberty Caucus
August 11, 2012

I was talking about Tom Coburn.

Brett85
09-15-2012, 08:53 PM
I guess 1 vote that goes against being a fiscal conservative is a better viewpoint than noticing that he voted once for a 700 billion dollar bailout:rolleyes:

I don't demand perfection in politicians. No one is perfect. I'm not defending the bailouts, but some of the members of Congress who voted for TARP viewed it as more of a loan than a bailout. It was money that was supposed to be repaid to the government with interest.

FrankRep
09-15-2012, 08:54 PM
I was talking about Tom Coburn.

Sorry about that.

The Gold Standard
Why are you here?

There are many here about whom I ask that question, but he isn't one of them. I get the feeling he is still early in his liberty awakening and still trying to rationalize supporting his party. Give it a year or two and the name Paul Ryan will make him sick to his stomach.

Brett85
Why are you here?

Because I donated money to Ron's campaign, made phone calls for him, and gave a speech for him at my local caucus. Why are you here, other than try to inflame people?

AGRP
09-15-2012, 08:55 PM
There are many here about whom I ask that question, but he isn't one of them. I get the feeling he is still early in his liberty awakening and still trying to rationalize supporting his party. Give it a year or two and the name Paul Ryan will make him sick to his stomach.

He's been here for 2 years.

July
09-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Well, the good news is that the co-sponser list for the senate version of audit the fed is growing. If having Paul Ryan out there talking about the fed helps to encourage more to sign on, that's not a bad thing.

It's inevitable, when ideas go mainstream, anyone may start talking about it, including people who may misrepresent or pander, and there's not really anything we can do to control that. We simply have to be better at arguing the points and presenting the message. It's no longer good enough just to talk about it, but now it matters how we talk about it, and getting those who truly support and understand it into power. The upside is that it won't be an unheard of or fringe idea anymore, the downside is that now there is competition in owning the message.

The Gold Standard
09-15-2012, 08:57 PM
I don't demand perfection in politicians. No one is perfect. I'm not defending the bailouts, but some of the members of Congress who voted for TARP viewed it as more of a loan than a bailout. It was money that was supposed to be repaid to the government with interest.

That doesn't make it any less disgusting. First, the federal government isn't a bank. Second, there is nothing fiscally responsible about a plan to buy worthless, toxic debt instruments with taxpayer money and dump the risk on the heads of the people.

Brett85
09-15-2012, 08:58 PM
Give it a year or two and the name Paul Ryan will make him sick to his stomach.

I think there's some confusion, because I was talking about Tom Coburn, not Ryan.

Brett85
09-15-2012, 09:00 PM
That doesn't make it any less disgusting. First, the federal government isn't a bank. Second, there is nothing fiscally responsible about a plan to buy worthless, toxic debt instruments with taxpayer money and dump the risk on the heads of the people.

I agree. I was just trying to explain it from the perspective from some who voted for it.

The Gold Standard
09-15-2012, 09:02 PM
I think there's some confusion, because I was talking about Tom Coburn, not Ryan.

I know, but you were originally sticking up for Ryan. Coburn isn't as bad as many of them, but I could never support anyone who voted for TARP. TARP is what woke me up.

Brett85
09-15-2012, 09:05 PM
I know, but you were originally sticking up for Ryan. Coburn isn't as bad as many of them, but I could never support anyone who voted for TARP. TARP is what woke me up.

I praised Ryan for what he said about the Federal Reserve. I've said before that Ryan wasn't the fiscal conservative people made him out to be and had a bad voting record in Congress. After Ryan was announced as the VP pick I put up articles on my Facebook page exposing Ryan's poor voting record.

FrankRep
09-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Tom Coburn, Freedom Index Score:

July 2012: 80% (http://www.jbs.org/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=259&id=423%3Afreedom-index-july-2012)
January 2012: 75% (http://www.jbs.org/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=259&id=355%3Afreedom-index-january-2012)
August 2011: 70% (http://www.jbs.org/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=259&id=192%3Afreedom-index-august-2011)
October 2010: 100% (http://www.jbs.org/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=259&id=171%3Afreedom-index-october-2010)
July 2010: 89% (http://www.jbs.org/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=259&id=92%3Afreedom-index-july-2010)
December 2009: 100% (http://www.jbs.org/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=259&id=48%3Afreedom-index-december-2009)
July 2009: 100% (http://www.jbs.org/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=259&id=38%3Afreedom-index-july-2009)
October 2008: 70% (http://www.jbs.org/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=259&id=34%3Afreedom-index-october-2008)
July 2008: 70% (http://www.jbs.org/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=259&id=35%3Afreedom-index-july-2008)
December 2007: 80% (http://www.jbs.org/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=259&id=36%3Afreedom-index-december-2007)
July 2007: 100% (http://www.jbs.org/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=259&id=37%3Afreedom-index-july-2007)

Overall, I rate Tom Coburn a C+ Senator. Mediocre.

Brett85
09-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Tom Coburn, Freedom Index Score:

July 2012: 80% (http://www.jbs.org/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=259&id=423%3Afreedom-index-july-2012)
January 2012: 75% (http://www.jbs.org/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=259&id=355%3Afreedom-index-january-2012)
August 2011: 70% (http://www.jbs.org/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=259&id=192%3Afreedom-index-august-2011)
October 2010: 100% (http://www.jbs.org/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=259&id=171%3Afreedom-index-october-2010)
July 2010: 89% (http://www.jbs.org/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=259&id=92%3Afreedom-index-july-2010)
December 2009: 100% (http://www.jbs.org/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=259&id=48%3Afreedom-index-december-2009)
July 2009: 100% (http://www.jbs.org/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=259&id=38%3Afreedom-index-july-2009)
October 2008: 70% (http://www.jbs.org/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=259&id=34%3Afreedom-index-october-2008)
July 2008: 70% (http://www.jbs.org/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=259&id=35%3Afreedom-index-july-2008)
December 2007: 80% (http://www.jbs.org/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=259&id=36%3Afreedom-index-december-2007)
July 2007: 100% (http://www.jbs.org/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=259&id=37%3Afreedom-index-july-2007)

I still appreciate the fact that Coburn has called for reducing the Pentagon's budget, fairly substantially. He's one of the only Republicans in the Senate who's willing to propose cuts in defense spending and also auditing the Pentagon.

acptulsa
09-15-2012, 09:18 PM

Me, too. But C+ is no longer the stuff mediocrity is made of. These days, 97-98% of the Senate gets an F.

I still appreciate the fact that Coburn has called for reducing the Pentagon's budget, fairly substantially. He's one of the only Republicans in the Senate who's willing to propose cuts in defense spending and also auditing the Pentagon.

He's also about to retire. We need to find a replacement for him within the next year. Wish us luck.