PDA

View Full Version : Miami Cop Fired For Speeding Over 90 MPH More Than 80 Times

Professor8000
09-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Just saw this on Drudge

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/09/14/miami-police-fire-cop-pulled-over-for-speeding-by-fhp/

Miami Police Fire Cop Pulled Over For Speeding By FHP

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – A Miami police officer who made headlines after he was pulled over on the Florida Turnpike by a Florida Highway Patrol officer for speeding has been fired.

Fausto Lopez was fired by Miami Police on Thursday. This comes more than a month after an internal investigation into the matter determined that he should be terminated.

The internal probe found that Officer Lopez showed a “practice and pattern” of reckless speeding. Lopez routinely clocked speeds of more than 100 miles per hour while off duty between September and November 2011, according to the report.

Officially, Lopez has been clocked going more than 90 miles per hour more than 80 times.

Lopez was clocked by state trooper Donna Jane Watts doing 120 mph on October 11, 2011.

When he finally pulled over, she arrested the uniformed officer at gunpoint, although reports came out later that a supervisor had told her to “back off” and not pull Lopez over. Lopez later said he was on his way to an off-duty assignment.

Watts told state investigators that she continued to follow his squad car because she feared the vehicle was stolen since she believed no officer would drive so fast and so dangerously. Video of the 7-minute pursuit made national news and ignited a firestorm between his department and the Florida Highway Patrol.

Lopez pled no contest to a reckless driving charge; a misdemeanor which is punishable by up to 90 days in jail.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
09-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Officially, Lopez has been clocked going more than 90 miles per hour more than 80 times.

Wtf does that mean? "Officially?" So he has been clocked speeding more than 80 times and issued 1 ticket?

Bruno
09-15-2012, 03:41 PM
"Watts told state investigators that she continued to follow his squad car because she feared the vehicle was stolen since she believed no officer would drive so fast and so dangerously"

Welcome to your wake up call, Officer Watts.

I used to believe cops were here to protect and serve not shoot dogs and innocents during military-style night raids.

DamianTV
09-15-2012, 03:56 PM
"Watts told state investigators that she continued to follow his squad car because she feared the vehicle was stolen since she believed no officer would drive so fast and so dangerously"

Welcome to your wake up call, Officer Watts.

I used to believe cops were here to protect and serve not shoot dogs and innocents during military-style night raids.

And certainly not to arrest people for what they say on the interwebs, then not charge them with a crime.

specsaregood
09-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Wtf does that mean? "Officially?" So he has been clocked speeding more than 80 times and issued 1 ticket?

I believe it has to do with some investigations using the tollgates. Some enterprising people went through the public records and calculated how fast cops were driving between the tollbooths because the sunpass charges were timestamped.

Occam's Banana
09-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Fausto Lopez was fired by Miami Police on Thursday. This comes more than a month after an internal investigation into the matter determined that he should be terminated. [...] The internal probe found that Officer Lopez showed a “practice and pattern” of reckless speeding. [...] Video of the 7-minute pursuit made national news and ignited a firestorm between his department and the Florida Highway Patrol.

So ... that's what it takes ... "reckless speeding" ... *and* lots of negative publicity ...

jkr
09-15-2012, 04:37 PM
why do they make my car so fast and the speed limit so slow?

tod evans
09-15-2012, 05:29 PM
You or I get caught doing 90 8 times and it's off to the cross-bar hotel...

Seraphim
09-15-2012, 05:40 PM
These days? The 2nd time, you're getting your face shoved into the police cruisers window (and sent the bill for the damages) and then mocked because you bleed.

You or I get caught doing 90 8 times and it's off to the cross-bar hotel...

PaulConventionWV
09-15-2012, 06:01 PM

Good question.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
09-16-2012, 01:44 PM
I believe it has to do with some investigations using the tollgates. Some enterprising people went through the public records and calculated how fast cops were driving between the tollbooths because the sunpass charges were timestamped.

In that case, I wonder if calling it "official" means they're going to start issuing tickets (to non-cops) that way.

specsaregood
09-16-2012, 01:53 PM
In that case, I wonder if calling it "official" means they're going to start issuing tickets (to non-cops) that way.

geez man, I'm glad you are on our side. don't give those guys any ideas.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
09-16-2012, 03:05 PM
geez man, I'm glad you are on our side. don't give those guys any ideas.

lol. I wish. They're clearly 3 steps ahead of me.

Their current deal in FL is that they are doing away with toll booths. Instead, they photograph your license plate and send you a bill for $2.50 or whatever. Then they charge a $7.00 or whatever late fee if you don't mail them $2.50 within a short time window.

Here's an interesting (or uninteresting) thing about me. If my phone rings, I may not answer it. It might be because it's in the other room, on silent, or I just don't feel like it. Knock on my door? If I'm not expecting anyone, I may not even check the security camera to see who it is, and definitely don't feel obligated to go look. Check my mail in a timely manner? lol, fuck off.

They sent my last toll bill to my former address. So my "toll" was "late" before it even hit my mailbox, not to mention another 2-5 days before I looked. Of course, there is no one to talk to about that. You pay, or your license is suspended. I'm willing to pay what I can to keep the state off my back... I'm not flying a Gadsen flag. So, I paid, but I wrote "scam" all over the check. It is clearly a scam, because they rely on these late fees to increase revenue, and then try to bust your head with a hammer over the $10 they want.

asurfaholic
09-16-2012, 03:43 PM

Internal affairs probably pulled up his GPS record, which is standard in most departments, especially big ones like Miami. Checked his on duty / off duty hours and found that he was speeding off duty. I think he should get a ticket and points on his license for each offense. A police officer is not above the law and shouldn't be treated as such. He should have MORE respect for the laws.

I wonder how many other officers speed regularly while off duty. Maybe they should check on all the staff. Theres no excuses not too. If theres one, theres more.

My guesses anyways. I doubt anyone in government is smart enough to do the math in time/distance calculations.

acptulsa
09-16-2012, 04:11 PM

Did you buy your car on the free market? Did you select the road you travel on the free market?

Don't think they haven't thought of it. But there alre aleady enough people (like me) who hate (government) turnpikes enough to take the free road even if the trip takes an hour longer that way. Start issuing tickets based on time stamps and see what happens.

Besides, how do you face your accuser in court when the accuser is a couple of clocks on a couple of toll sensors?

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
09-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Did you buy your car on the free market? Did you select the road you travel on the free market?

Don't think they haven't thought of it. But there alre aleady enough people (like me) who hate (government) turnpikes enough to take the free road even if the trip takes an hour longer that way. Start issuing tickets based on time stamps and see what happens.

Besides, how do you face your accuser in court when the accuser is a couple of clocks on a couple of toll sensors?

You question their calibration and who calibrated them, I suppose. I'm not sure.

I am kinda looking to pick a fight with a radar detector, though. ;) Maybe even a red light camera. - Not that I would drive unsafely to do so.