PDA

View Full Version : We Are Now One Year Away From Global Riots, Complex Systems Theorists Say

Carson
09-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Someone over at Fark posted a link to a story about an index that tracks a Food Price Index.

I thought some of you would like to check it out also. The article is working for me. It has pictures AND a chart.

We Are Now One Year Away From Global Riots, Complex Systems Theorists Say

Posted by Brian_Merchant on Monday, Sep 10, 2012

What’s the number one reason we riot? The plausible, justifiable motivations of trampled-upon humanfolk to fight back are many—poverty, oppression, disenfranchisement, etc—but the big one is more primal than any of the above. It’s hunger, plain and simple. If there’s a single factor that reliably sparks social unrest, it’s food becoming too scarce or too expensive. So argues a group of complex systems theorists in Cambridge, and it makes sense.

In a 2011 paper, researchers at the Complex Systems Institute unveiled a model that accurately explained why the waves of unrest that swept the world in 2008 and 2011 crashed when they did. The number one determinant was soaring food prices. Their model identified a precise threshold for global food prices that, if breached, would lead to worldwide unrest.

The MIT Technology Review explains how CSI’s model works: “The evidence comes from two sources. The first is data gathered by the United Nations that plots the price of food against time, the so-called food price index of the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the UN. The second is the date of riots around the world, whatever their cause.” Plot the data, and it looks like this:

I sniped the article short here right at the chart. (The chart looks like a keeper.)...

http://motherboard.vice.com/2012/9/10/we-are-now-one-year-and-counting-from-global-riots-complex-systems-theorists-say--2