PDA

View Full Version : SD-Animal control cop shoots family cat.

Anti Federalist
09-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Spearfish PD admits mistake in killed cat incident

http://www.bhpioneer.com/local_news/article_e4e272a2-fe82-11e1-8eec-0019bb2963f4.html

SPEARFISH — A provision in a city ordinance has one pet owner struggling to come to terms with what happened to his beloved 4-year-old cat.

Cavan Jurgens, of Spearfish, would oftentimes allow his cat, “Poobs,” to be outside at night. An issue arose when his neighbor called the police to report the cat as a nuisance, because it would leave remnants of dead animals in his yard. In response, a trap was set up in the neighbors yard. Jurgens admitted that his cat did not have a collar on when it was trapped by an animal control officer with the Spearfish Police Department.

There are certain guidelines that the Spearfish Police Department follows when dealing with stray animals that appear to be sick, injured or vicious. In most cases, an animal at large is impounded and brought to the Western Hills Humane Society, where it is cared for until its owner retrieves them.

But, according to city ordinance, if the officer dealing with the animal considers it to be feral, the animal can be destroyed without notification.

Because of the cat's erratic behavior while in the trap, the animal control officer told Jurgens that he determined the cat to be feral, and shot the animal.

Jurgens said in his mind there was no way his cat was feral. She was up to date on her shots, healthy and loved.

“When I asked the animal control officer why my cat was shot, he said she was acting violent and that he felt she was dangerous,” he said. “I know her, and she wouldn't hurt someone unless they hurt her. Sure, she may have been erratic because she was scared, but there was no reason to bring her out to a field and shoot her.”

Since the incident occurred, Jurgens has met with several city officials, including Mayor Jerry Krambeck.

“Our mayor has been so supportive, and I really feel like he cares about what happened to me, and wants to make sure this doesn't happen to someone else,” Jurgens said. “That's why I'm doing all of this … if it saves one animal from an untimely death then I will know I'm making a difference.”

Krambeck, who met with Jurgens immediately after the incident, which occurred on Aug. 22, said this shouldn't have happened and everyone involved hopefully learned a valuable lesson.

“I feel horrible for Cavan … I really do. This is one of those things that you can't take back,” he said. “This has definitely raised some concerns, especially when it comes to how an officer determines whether a cat is feral or not. In this case, the cat was probably scared and acted out, but the officer should have taken a different course of action.”

Spearfish Police Chief Pat Rotert admitted that in this particular case, Tate Hayford, the animal control officer on duty, should have impounded the animal, rather than destroy it.

“I have no problem acknowledging the fact that if the officer had brought the cat to the humane society this would have never happened,” Rotert said.

If the cat would have been impounded, Jurgens would have had five days to retrieve her. But, because the humane society is a no kill shelter, the cat would have lived even if someone didn't show.

“If a cat comes in, it stays here with us and we just hope that someone who needs cats will come in and adopt them,” said Shar Bergum, director of the Western Hills Humane Society. Today, they have more than 70 cats, half of which have been brought in as strays. As for feral cats, they too are kept alive and oftentimes adopted as barn cats.

“Our hope is to send the ones that are difficult to deal with and make sure they are given to good homes. Otherwise we just deal with the wild cats,” she said.

If the animal isn't impounded and shows signs of being feral, Rotert said they deal with whether or not to euthanize an animal on a case-by-case basis and added that this particular incident sparked a conversation regarding policy within the department.

“Our hope is that something like this doesn't happen again,” Rotert said.

Stray cats, he said, can become a problem for a community if an animal control officer doesn't address the situation. To assist in those efforts, he said, pet owners must license their cat or dog with the city and do what they can to prevent them from running at large.

“I think we are fairly proactive in dealing with stray animals and that's why it's not really a problem,” Rotert said.

When asked about how an animal is destroyed, Rotert said it depends on the situation. The most common methods are pharmaceutical euthanasia and use of firearms.

As for what is humane and what isn't — that is left up to the individual to decide.

“This term has different meaning to different people,” he said.

Rotert added that since Hayford was hired a few months ago, he's done a good job. On a daily basis, he deals with everything from barking dogs and wildlife complaints to abuse and neglect cases.

“He's handled hundreds and hundreds of calls and to this day we have not received any negative feedback other than in this case,” Rotert said.

According to city ordinance, an animal control officer is provided with the option to destroy any sick or injured animal without holding it for the stipulated 72 hours, if its condition is such that immediate destruction is necessary or desirable. It further states that all animals should be destroyed in a humane manner. If the animal control officer considers a dog or cat to be vicious, they are also allowed to destroy the animal without having to impound it.

If the dog or cat is impounded, the owner shall be notified within 24 hours if their identity and location are provided. The owner then has five days after the animal is impounded to provide a certificate of vaccination, a city license and pay for all of the fees incurred. If after five days the owner does not come to pick up their animal, city ordinance states that the city's liability shall cease and it will be put up for adoption or disposed of in a humane manner by any police officer, animal control officer or veterinarian.

Spearfish's ordinances mirror those of Lead, Deadwood and Belle Fourche. In both Lead and Deadwood, any dog or cat having dangerous propensities or considered dangerous or vicious — meaning they attack or chase a person — may be killed by any police officer without impounding the animal.

In Belle Fourche, if an officer makes the determination that a dog is vicious or dangerous the officer can impound the animal for up to 72 hours while an investigation occurs into the incident. From there, an officer can choose to humanely destroy the animal or impound the animal for an additional 48 hours, or until the owner retrieves it.

The laws are similar in Lawrence County as well. An animal found running at large is impounded for not more than three days, and if it is not claimed by the owner during that time period, the animal can be disposed of at the discretion of the animal control officer or put up for adoption. If the animal is sick or injured, the animal control officer can choose to dispose of the animal in a humane manner, rather than impounding the animal.

Dr.3D
09-14-2012, 03:43 PM
What in the world is a feral cat? When I saw the plant I was working in was being torn down, I brought home one of those wild cats and it turned out to be the best cat I have ever had. He grew to be about 25 pounds and was so fat, he had a hard time cleaning himself. He was a darned happy cat.

Yes, he was wild as can be when I brought him home, but after around a month, he started coming around and I could actually get him to sit in my lap. Yes, he lived in the heating ducts for a couple of weeks, but he finally got tired of that and decided to come out and be one of the family.

I don't think there is such a thing as a feral cat. What they are calling feral cats are only cats that haven't known friendly people.

James Madison
09-14-2012, 03:43 PM
In Belle Fourche, if an officer makes the determination that a dog is vicious or dangerous the officer can impound the animal for up to 72 hours while an investigation occurs into the incident. From there, an officer can choose to humanely destroy the animal or impound the animal for an additional 48 hours, or until the owner retrieves it.

I wonder if us mundanes have the same powers?

jkr
09-14-2012, 03:47 PM
and they want to take guns away from "potheads" and drunks?!?!?

how many people do "potheads" kill versus the thug-samurai "brotherhood" (of evil)?

ridiculous

jkr
09-14-2012, 03:47 PM
and they want to take guns away from "potheads" and drunks?!?!?

how many people do "potheads" kill versus the thug-samurai "brotherhood" (of evil)?

ridiculous

worth saying twice

aGameOfThrones
09-14-2012, 03:48 PM
About time cats got their turn.

Brian4Liberty
09-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Most shelters won't allow you to adopt cats if you are going to let them outside. This wouldn't have happened if the owners didn't let the cat roam the neighborhood (not that it excuses the judge/jury/executioner).

pcosmar
09-14-2012, 04:06 PM
About time cats got their turn.

it was only a matter of time.

alucard13mmfmj
09-14-2012, 04:12 PM
How is a cat that is trapped in a cage... a threat? lol.

Any animal that is caught in a cage would probably be either be pissed off or tired from trying to get out.

acptulsa
09-14-2012, 04:18 PM
I don't think there is such a thing as a feral cat. What they are calling feral cats are only cats that haven't known friendly people.

I tried to warn the vet my cats were very skittish. Idiot woman let one loose anyway, and the entire staff had to help corral him. Then she claimed the cats were feral, simply because they were skittish! I asked another employee how a cat who had never been outside, and never had wanted to go outside, until he was taken to the vet for neutering at eight months could possibly be feral. She just smiled.

Feral is idiotspeak for 'kitty cat scared me'.

Tod
09-14-2012, 04:20 PM
What in the world is a feral cat? When I saw the plant I was working in was being torn down, I brought home one of those wild cats and it turned out to be the best cat I have ever had. He grew to be about 25 pounds and was so fat, he had a hard time cleaning himself. He was a darned happy cat.

Yes, he was wild as can be when I brought him home, but after around a month, he started coming around and I could actually get him to sit in my lap. Yes, he lived in the heating ducts for a couple of weeks, but he finally got tired of that and decided to come out and be one of the family.

Isn't what you describe basically just the definition of a feral cat?

http://feralcatproject.org/aboutthecats_whatis.aspx
The official definition of feral is, “living in a wild state after domestication”.

Occam's Banana
09-14-2012, 04:20 PM
WTH?! What's next - guinea pigs & goldfish?

jmdrake
09-14-2012, 04:39 PM

My thoughts exactly.

kathy88
09-14-2012, 04:40 PM
I fear for the gerbils.

Dr.3D
09-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Isn't what you describe basically just the definition of a feral cat?

http://feralcatproject.org/aboutthecats_whatis.aspx
So what's the matter with a cat that is afraid of people? Absolutely nothing! Given a little time, attention and love, I believe any cat will become friendly. That is of course if it hasn't been abused.

Dr.3D
09-14-2012, 04:45 PM
I fear for the gerbils.
See, even gerbils can be friendly.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3V_tlkndNM

jbauer
09-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Shoot, I thought you were gonna say the cat threatened the cops and they shot it!!!!

acptulsa
09-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Shoot, I thought you were gonna say the cat threatened the cops and they shot it!!!!

Came at him armed with twenty switchblades!

Philhelm
09-14-2012, 05:57 PM

Stop it!!! I believe it was earlier this week, in a cop shoots dog thread, that someone asked if cats would be next. Now look!

On the other hand, feral goldfish are quite dreadful...

Dr.3D
09-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Stop it!!! I believe it was earlier this week, in a cop shoots dog thread, that someone asked if cats would be next. Now look!

On the other hand, feral goldfish are quite dreadful...
Makes me want to dig a moat around my yard and stock it with piranhas. Bet they would run out of ammo before the moat ran out of fish.

Edit: Then again, I would probably find a lot of the local cats in the moat.

opal
09-14-2012, 07:10 PM
We have three cats. One that just wandered into our lives and two that we got from a no kill shelter. One of those two was born there.. friendliest guy you'd ever want to meet AT THE SHELTER. We got him home and he flipped out. Two weeks behind and under the bed (he did manage to find the litter box when we slept)
Eventually he came out and made friends with our first cat (who's nose was a bit out of joint finding two new cats in the house) - thank gawd he knew the other shelter cat. He never did get past being jumpy though.. still barely goes near hubby and it's been 5 years. When we have other people here.. he's the amazing invisible cat.
Our three boys are mostly outside cats.. keeping the vermin down.. this thread makes me want to drag them all in the house forever. They'd hate it.

IronPatriot
09-14-2012, 07:42 PM
I knew it. I fucking knew it was only a matter of time before they started shooting cats. I remember a story posted on here about a cop who shot a lap dog while it was hiding in its kennel, so why not cats, right? The question I pose to the unenlightened percentage of the population who still believes police and various forms of law enforcement exist to protect the public is, how can you trust somebody with your life when they're so cowardly as to shoot a dog or cat? Unbelievable.

Origanalist
09-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Most shelters won't allow you to adopt cats if you are going to let them outside. This wouldn't have happened if the owners didn't let the cat roam the neighborhood (not that it excuses the judge/jury/executioner).

My cat roams the neighborhood nightly, and will continue to do so.

tttppp
09-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Most animals are scared to death when they are caught in a trap. You can't just determine in one moment whether the animal is wild or not. Even if the animal was wild, what business of theirs is it to kill the animal.

Origanalist
09-14-2012, 09:40 PM
Most animals are scared to death when they are caught in a trap. You can't just determine in one moment whether the animal is wild or not. Even if the animal was wild, what business of theirs is it to kill the animal.

I tried driving with my cat in the car when we were moving, little shit went ape shit crazy. He was bouncing off the windows so hard I thought he was going to break his neck. Gave up on that idea right away.

Icymudpuppy
09-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Please keep your cats contained inside. The Average indoor cat (or completely fenced in play area) lives 17 years. The average outdoor cat lives 4 years. Why? It is dangerous outside. Coyotes, Raccoons, Cars, and many other hazards can spell instant death for a cat. Also, a cat running loose without obvious identification such as a collar is considered at best a stray, and at worst a non-native songbird killing nuisance animal on par with Asian Carp or Ivy. Most shelters will not accept any cats which display erratic behavior because of the high prevalence of Distemper, Feline Leukemia, and a slew of more minor diseases among feral cat populations. Thus, as a nuisance wildlife operator, even if I take cats without identification and exhibiting any hissing or spitting to the shelter they turn me away and tell me to just euthanize them myself because they don't have room to house and quarantine them so they'll just get immediately euthanized anyway. Also, any neighbor who doesn't like having cat shit in his garden, dead songbirds below his bird bath, or as in this case dead mice on his doorstep is perfectly within their rights as a property owner to eliminate a vandal on their property. Some do it themselves, some call a professional trapper like me, and some have a government office that does it. You let your cat leave your property, you have to accept the consequences of the trespassing, vandalism, etc that your cat is doing while away. Keep your cat at home! The dogs we post here are in their own homes. This cat was vandalizing someone else's property.

Origanalist
09-14-2012, 10:26 PM
Please keep your cats contained inside. The Average indoor cat (or completely fenced in play area) lives 17 years. The average outdoor cat lives 4 years. Why? It is dangerous outside. Coyotes, Raccoons, Cars, and many other hazards can spell instant death for a cat. Also, a cat running loose without obvious identification such as a collar is considered at best a stray, and at worst a non-native songbird killing nuisance animal on par with Asian Carp or Ivy. Most shelters will not accept any cats which display erratic behavior because of the high prevalence of Distemper, Feline Leukemia, and a slew of more minor diseases among feral cat populations. Thus, as a nuisance wildlife operator, even if I take cats without identification and exhibiting any hissing or spitting to the shelter they turn me away and tell me to just euthanize them myself because they don't have room to house and quarantine them so they'll just get immediately euthanized anyway. Also, any neighbor who doesn't like having cat shit in his garden, dead songbirds below his bird bath, or as in this case dead mice on his doorstep is perfectly within their rights as a property owner to eliminate a vandal on their property. Some do it themselves, some call a professional trapper like me, and some have a government office that does it. You let your cat leave your property, you have to accept the consequences of the trespassing, vandalism, etc that your cat is doing while away. Keep your cat at home! The dogs we post here are in their own homes. This cat was vandalizing someone else's property.

Half the cats in this town roam free, I'm not shutting mine in now after 9 years of being out.

Icymudpuppy
09-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Half the cats in this town roam free, I'm not shutting mine in now after 9 years of being out.

At the very least, make sure he has a collar with a tag that has your name and contact information on it that he can't slip off. RFID chips are not sufficient identification as not very many people have RFID readers. When someone calls you to complain about the trouble your cat may be causing, treat your cat like the vandal he is, imprison him, and stop making excuses for his criminal activity.

Brian4Liberty
09-14-2012, 10:32 PM
My cat roams the neighborhood nightly, and will continue to do so.

Depends upon where you live. A family I know had a really cool cat, that wandered at will. As friendly a cat as there ever has been. I had to pick up his body from the middle of the street one morning after he had been hit by a car.

Origanalist
09-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Criminal activity,oooookay. This here towns just burstin' with them there criminals. :eek:

Brian4Liberty
09-14-2012, 10:40 PM
... Also, any neighbor who doesn't like having cat shit in his garden, dead songbirds below his bird bath, or as in this case dead mice on his doorstep is perfectly within their rights as a property owner to eliminate a vandal on their property. ...

My dear departed Grandmother used to shoot cats that came on to her property. They came to defecate, not to cuddle, and where she grew up, pests were eliminated.

HOLLYWOOD
09-14-2012, 11:35 PM
So, Cops with guns are now fully certified Veterinary Experts to determine the state of all domestic animals? It's more like a fuckin Wild West movie where the outlaw says, "I'm right, cuz I'm holding the guns and backed by the badge-state.

John Stossel cover of "Everything Is Illegal" in other words, We're the government and we can do any malace without repercussions.

Where's those hypocrites @ PETA?

Origanalist
09-15-2012, 08:54 AM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=223188332135812470

Dr.3D
09-15-2012, 09:09 AM
My dear departed Grandmother used to shoot cats that came on to her property. They came to defecate, not to cuddle, and where she grew up, pests were eliminated.
Yes, my Grandma used to do the same thing. Those cats were getting into the chicken coop and eating the little chicks. When a cat becomes a varmint, it is open season on them.

Most states have varmint laws.