PDA

View Full Version : 330,000 member police union refuses to endorse Obamney.

Anti Federalist
09-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Well, what do you know about that...?

First thought from me is, "Good, they are right, for all the wrong reasons".

National Police Union Turns Down Romney and Obama.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2012/09/07/national-police-union-turns-down-romney/

Mitt Romney has been turned away by a large union whose endorsement he hoped to win.

The 330,000-member Fraternal Order of Police, the country’s largest police union, announced that it would back no candidate for president this year, the first time the group had passed on an endorsement in its 98-year history. The union backed the Republican nominees in 2000, 2004 and 2008, and backed President Bill Clinton in 1996.

The rebuff came less than three months after Mr. Romney met with the order’s top brass in June seeking the group’s endorsement. “We had a lengthy and comprehensive meeting with Mr. Romney,” said Jim Pasco, the group’s executive director.

“The important challenges faced by our rank-and-file officers, the real issues in public safety, and the problems that our criminal justice system is facing are not the focus of either campaign,” Chuck Canterbury, the group’s president, said in a statement. “It would be irresponsible for us to support either candidate.”

People familiar with the group’s decision said leaders had been disturbed by Mr. Romney’s statements of strong support for several antiunion initiatives, particularly the move in Ohio to restrict the collective-bargaining rights of public-union employees, including police and firefighters. The measure was overturned by voters in Ohio last year.

In recent presidential elections, the group’s backing has been much sought after because of the heavy concentration of law enforcement officers in several of the key states. The group counts 39,225 members in Pennsylvania alone and another 24,181 in Ohio and 19,912 in Florida. In 2000 the union’s rank and file overrode the recommendation of its five-member presidential-endorsement panel at the time and backed George W. Bush, four years after supporting the Democratic ticket.

A candidate needs to win a two-third majority of the group’s national board to win an endorsement, but Mr. Pasco suggested the vote wasn’t close. “This vote was taken with no real debate,” he said. “There was real consensus that there was just no candidate for us to back.”

Mr. Canterbury bemoaned a lack of bipartisanship in Washington. “This national preoccupation with defeating or trumping political opponents has eroded confidence in our leaders and the entire political system,” he said. “In such an environment comity, compromise and cooperation have become virtually impossible,” Mr. Canterbury said. “We urge our members to exercise their right to vote in this election.”

Austrian Econ Disciple
09-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Shucks. I thought it was going to be LEAP.

I assume this group is not sufficiently happy with the militarization and would like even more broad authority to execute, condemn, and be lawless thugs?

Anti Federalist
09-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Shucks. I thought it was going to be LEAP.

I assume this group is not sufficiently happy with the militarization and would like even more broad authority to execute, condemn, and be lawless thugs?

I wish there were 330,000 LEAP members.

Or OathKeepers.

No, I think you're right:

“The important challenges faced by our rank-and-file officers, the real issues in public safety, and the problems that our criminal justice system is facing are not the focus of either campaign,” Chuck Canterbury, the group’s president, said in a statement. “It would be irresponsible for us to support either candidate.”

jkr
09-14-2012, 03:49 PM
mor MONEY for us! forever!

hahahahahaha

Occam's Banana
09-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Translation: "We need moar police powerz!!"

jkob
09-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Good. Police unions generally support Republicans so them sitting out means they won't be obligated to bow to their interests. In my home state Wisconsin, we might of had constitutional carry if it weren't for the police unions backing Scott Walker.