PDA

View Full Version : Mitch McConnell's email to welcome Jesse Benton aboard.

BamaFanNKy
09-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Friends,

As a member of Team Mitch, I want to make sure I personally introduce you to the person I’ve hired to be my campaign manager in 2014.

His name might sound familiar: Jesse Benton.

As you probably know, Jesse served as campaign manager for my good friend and colleague Senator Rand Paul in 2010. That campaign was so successful it was dubbed the “Randslide.”

Jesse is literally the best in the business at building and organizing conservative grassroots movements and I'm thrilled he's chosen to return to Kentucky to lead my campaign. When you become the number one adversary of Barack Obama’s agenda in Congress, you have an army of liberals who will do everything possible to take you out. That’s why we need a Presidential-level campaign to fight back in ’14 and that is exactly what Jesse adds to our team.

Don’t take my word for it, check out what others have been saying:

One strategist told the Washington Post, “This is like LeBron to the Heat…The best player is now on the best team, and there is no limit to how good the McConnell campaign can be.”

National Journal’s Hotline says of Benton’s hiring, “We've said it before, we'll say it again: There is no more deliberate political thinker than Mitch McConnell.” NRO’s John Fund calls it “McConnell’s ‘Brilliant Move.’”

Now that you know why we’ve chosen Jesse, check out Jesse’s op-ed today in the Daily Caller on why he’s decided to join our team.

For the next two months, Jesse and I will be totally focused on electing Mitt Romney, returning the U.S. Senate to Republican hands, sending Thomas Massie, Andy Barr, and Brooks Wicker to Congress, re-electing Hal Rogers, Ed Whitfield, and Brett Guthrie, and putting the state House in Republican hands for the first time in 90 years.

Let’s get to work!

Mitch McConnell

Austrian Econ Disciple
09-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Where art thou - Benton defenders. Have you slunk back from whence you came?

Anti Federalist
09-14-2012, 02:56 PM
I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

LibertyEagle
09-14-2012, 02:58 PM
I don't really care whether the red team or the blue team wins. What I care about is slashing government at all levels, putting a hammer down on the spending, the warmongering, the surveillance grid, etc., and getting government out of my life as much as possible.

BamaFanNKy
09-14-2012, 02:59 PM

I'll do it. Jesse is helping with the overall goal in Kentucky: "returning the U.S. Senate to Republican hands, sending Thomas Massie, Andy Barr, and Brooks Wicker to Congress, re-electing Hal Rogers, Ed Whitfield, and Brett Guthrie, and putting the state House in Republican hands for the first time in 90 years."

Those are all great things that need to be done.

LibertyEagle
09-14-2012, 02:59 PM

Are you wanting to hear again that I think he has been blamed for a lot of things that were not his fault? Ok. There. Happy now?

That doesn't mean I am not glad he is gone, because I am.

jllundqu
09-14-2012, 03:00 PM
I don't really care whether the red team or the blue team wins. What I care about is slashing government at all levels, putting a hammer down on the spending, the warmongering, the surveillance grid, etc., and getting government out of my life as much as possible.

+rep

This...

I am in the "leave me the hell alone" party. Benton will get his just deserts. Just look and see where he is in 18 months when McConnell throws him away like a cheap whore. Hope it was worth it Benton.... god damned viper.

Aratus
09-14-2012, 03:01 PM
http://libertychat.com/ if todays rumor is anyway correct
several big long donor lists walked with "you know who"
therefore if all of this is true, our rEVOLUTIOn donors are
now going to be hit by a ton of timely "mittster' missives

Austrian Econ Disciple
09-14-2012, 03:01 PM
I'll do it. Jesse is helping with the overall goal in Kentucky: "returning the U.S. Senate to Republican hands, sending Thomas Massie, Andy Barr, and Brooks Wicker to Congress, re-electing Hal Rogers, Ed Whitfield, and Brett Guthrie, and putting the state House in Republican hands for the first time in 90 years."

Those are all great things that need to be done.

Yes, and all those things will be accomplished by re-electing Mitch McConnell. Delusional folk sure abound. If you want to help elect Thomas Massie, you do it by contributing to him and volunteering in GoTV or other efforts - not by becoming the campaign manager of another rat-politician. That's about as twisted logic as it can get. I say - try again.

Bruno
09-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Odd omission that he worked for Ron Paul's presidential campaign, just mentioned his good friend Rand (who Mitch originally campaigned against).

BamaFanNKy
09-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Yes, and all those things will be accomplished by re-electing Mitch McConnell. Delusional folk sure abound. If you want to help elect Thomas Massie, you do it by contributing to him and volunteering in GoTV or other efforts - not by becoming the campaign manager of another rat-politician. That's about as twisted logic as it can get. I say - try again.

Yeah. You wouldn't want to broaden your base. That's never a good tactic.

Anti Federalist
09-14-2012, 03:05 PM

***/picking nits/***

Generally, "Putting the hammer down" means to rapidly accelerate.

***/done picking nits/***

I knew what you meant and agree, those are the most important issues for me as well.

Austrian Econ Disciple
09-14-2012, 03:06 PM

Instead of defeating people like Mitch McConnell, you've now taken the position that we should work for them to help re-elect them, for...broadening our base? Welcome to Hippie la-la land. If you enjoy becoming the establishment, you're with the wrong people. Might I recommend something like...PNAC, Freeps, etc.?

I will do everything in my power to defeat these tyrannical, lying, pieces of shit. You can go work for them if you like - I'll work just as tirelessly to defeat you in the process.

Anti Federalist
09-14-2012, 03:06 PM
Odd omission that he worked for Ron Paul's presidential campaign, just mentioned his good friend Rand (who Mitch originally campaigned against).

Not at all, I think.

Ron's name to a mainstream political hack is like garlic and crosses to a vampyre.

BamaFanNKy
09-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Instead of defeating people like Mitch McConnell, you've now taken the position that we should work for them to help re-elect them, for...broadening our base? Welcome to Hippie la-la land. If you enjoy becoming the establishment, you're with the wrong people. Might I recommend something like...PNAC, Freeps, etc.?

I will do everything in my power to defeat these tyrannical, lying, pieces of shit. You can go work for them if you like - I'll work just as tirelessly to defeat you in the process.

No, I learned from Tropic Thunder to never go "Full Retard." Mitch already has 6 million raised and will raise over 16 million by 2014. You tell me how to beat that and I'll listen. Sign waves, blimps, Super brochures?

Austrian Econ Disciple
09-14-2012, 03:11 PM
No, I learned from Tropic Thunder to never go "Full Retard." Mitch already has 6 million raised and will raise over 16 million by 2014. You tell me how to beat that and I'll listen. Sign waves, blimps, Super brochures?

It does not follow. Not every seat is 'winnable', but to just give up and go work for these tyrannical hacks....it simply is unacceptable and to me constitutes cowardice and treason just like Benedict Arnold. You can go Benedict Arnold and tell us how much it is to benefit our goals, but the simple fact is, it is worse than Benedict Arnold! It isn't like you're under penalty of death by opposing Mitch McConnell, unlike the revolutionaries during the war.

jmdrake
09-14-2012, 03:12 PM

Except if you're broadening your base by splitting it. The danger is that we become like the Christian conservatives only less powerful because we didn't build up the economic and media infrastructure to back it up. And by economic power I do not mean endless money bombs and by media infrastructure I do no mean RPF. The Christian conservatives built up economic power through things like multi-level marketing (i.e. Doug Wead and Amway) and they used that power to buy radio stations. But in the end, what have they accomplished with regards to their goals? Abortion is still just as illegal. And remember the "clean up TV" campaign of the 70s? The GOP throws the CCs a few bones here and there, but they lack real power and are just a GOP fundraising arm. The danger for the Liberty community is that the same thing could happen to us, only worse. Sure Mitch could "move toward Rand" on significant issues. Then again he could simply move on symbolic issues that "make us feel good" but don't really change anything.

BamaFanNKy
09-14-2012, 03:13 PM
It does not follow. Not every seat is 'winnable', but to just give up and go work for these tyrannical hacks....it simply is unacceptable and to me constitutes cowardice and treason just like Benedict Arnold. You can go Benedict Arnold and tell us how much it is to benefit our goals, but the simple fact is, it is worse than Benedict Arnold! It isn't like you're under penalty of death by opposing Mitch McConnell, unlike the revolutionaries during the war.

Cool theory bro. If you see opening ourselves up to meet their peeps and donors as a bad idea.... so be it.

BamaFanNKy
09-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Except if you're broadening your base by splitting it. The danger is that we become like the Christian conservatives only less powerful because we didn't build up the economic and media infrastructure to back it up. And by economic power I do not mean endless money bombs and by media infrastructure I do no mean RPF. The Christian conservatives built up economic power through things like multi-level marketing (i.e. Doug Wead and Amway) and they used that power to buy radio stations. But in the end, what have they accomplished with regards to their goals? Abortion is still just as illegal. And remember the "clean up TV" campaign of the 70s? The GOP throws the CCs a few bones here and there, but they lack real power and are just a GOP fundraising arm. The danger for the Liberty community is that the same thing could happen to us, only worse. Sure Mitch could "move toward Rand" on significant issues. Then again he could simply move on symbolic issues that "make us feel good" but don't really change anything.

Not going to pull a Collins but there is money swinging toward the liberty candidates in Kentucky a little more freely than when Rand started. That said, we can't raise 10k in one day for Hightower, what makes you think the strategy of fighting from the outside works?

Austrian Econ Disciple
09-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Cool theory bro. If you see opening ourselves up to meet their peeps and donors as a bad idea.... so be it.

Whatever you have to tell yourself to sleep at night. AF, where are our ruffian rag-tag no-compromise folks at. To the tavern! The best revolutionaries are the drunkards you find at your local tavern - no non-sense, true to principle, folk. That's who I'll be costing my lot with - not these lukewarm go along get along establishmentarians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOVaPb2nVys

LibertyEagle
09-14-2012, 03:18 PM

I think we need to do a lot of things. Benton is just one man. Let him go do what he thinks is best. It doesn't really effect us, does it? Why can't we move on?

I wish we would brainstorm how to get a friendly TV network, amongst other things.

LibertyEagle
09-14-2012, 03:19 PM
Whatever you have to tell yourself to sleep at night. AF, where are our ruffian rag-tag no-compromise folks at. To the tavern! The best revolutionaries are the drunkards you find at your local tavern - no non-sense, true to principle, folk. That's who I'll be costing my lot with - not these lukewarm go along get along establishmentarians.

All we are doing is blathering on an internet forum. It isn't really accomplishing a thing.

cajuncocoa
09-14-2012, 03:19 PM
I think we need to do a lot of things. Benton is just one man. Let him go do what he thinks is best. It doesn't really effect us, does it? Why can't we move on?

I wish we would brainstorm how to get a friendly TV network, amongst other things.Why don't you start a topic about this? I think this is a wonderful idea and would like to see what ideas others might have about it.

LibertyEagle
09-14-2012, 03:20 PM
I have tried before and it went nowhere. People would rather just bitch and moan.

BamaFanNKy
09-14-2012, 03:22 PM
I have tried before and it went nowhere. People would rather just bitch and moan.

As did I. I even bought "Liberty50.com" as it would be an easy name.

jmdrake
09-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Not going to pull a Collins but there is money swinging toward the liberty candidates in Kentucky a little more freely than when Rand started. That said, we can't raise 10k in one day for Hightower, what makes you think the strategy of fighting from the outside works?

Great. Wonderful. For the record I haven't said what will work or what won't. I'm saying that one has to be careful not to end up dependent on people who don't actually share your values. Sorry the Hightower money bomb didn't go better. But did you miss where I said:

And by economic power I do not mean endless money bombs and by media infrastructure I do no mean RPF. The Christian conservatives built up economic power through things like multi-level marketing (i.e. Doug Wead and Amway) and they used that power to buy radio stations.

My points are that if we don't do what the Christian conservatives did right (become economically powerful in their own right) and avoid what they did wrong (endless compromise that takes us away from our main goals) I don't see how we avoid basically becoming another irrelevant faction that the GOP throws bones to once every four years. Just because I'm able to see risks in the Rand strategy doesn't mean I don't think it has merit.

jmdrake
09-14-2012, 03:37 PM

Ummmmm....I didn't start the thread. Nobody attacking Jesse Benton started the thread. But since the thread is started I think it only fair to discuss the merits of the ideas the OP proposed. The OP said this is the way to "expand the base". I'm not disagreeing with that, but pointing out the risks.

I wish we would brainstorm how to get a friendly TV network, amongst other things.

We need money....lot's of money.... Seriously, the best thing Doug Wead could do for the liberty movement is to start teaching classes about building personal wealth. We keep draining ourselves every 2 to 4 years for the next "big campaign" or worse to multiple campaigns. We don't need a secret "Ron Paul millionaire". We need a million Ron Paul millionaires. I'm not mad at Ron's portfolio growing or JB's portfolio growing. I'm mad at myself for my own not growing. And I'm sad when I see people who have been here since 2008 reduced to begging on the forum for someone to send them some food. WTF? What good is Austrian economics if they don't improve our personal economics? Yeah...I'm all over the place. I'm ranting somewhat. This has nothing to do with the thread itself except that I feel like we're setting ourselves up to be used by the system and not setting ourselves up to use the system. And I'm not blaming anybody for this.

kathy88
09-14-2012, 03:42 PM
AF I owe you so much rep it ain't funny.

CaptainAmerica
09-14-2012, 03:52 PM

It does matter when he quite possibly attempted to destroy certain peoples reputations such as Tom Woods. Tom Woods is awesome, I have a lot of respect for that dude and I highly doubt that Tom Woods would make up the stuff he mentioned about Benton on his blog and why Benton needs to be kept far from the grassroots.

LibertyEagle
09-14-2012, 05:16 PM
It does matter when he quite possibly attempted to destroy certain peoples reputations such as Tom Woods. Tom Woods is awesome, I have a lot of respect for that dude and I highly doubt that Tom Woods would make up the stuff he mentioned about Benton on his blog and why Benton needs to be kept far from the grassroots.

You know, I don't really know what the truth is on that. Probably somewhere in between, would be my guess.

Benton is far from the grassroots right now. Are we going to focus on something constructive sometime to further our goals?

sailingaway
09-14-2012, 05:44 PM

That donor PAC to Massie's campaign was a RON Paul supporter electrified by Ron Paul. There are two methods here, and both have pros and cons. I am more on the idealist side, but can see each have their points. But hiding your light under a bushel doesn't get 21 year old millionaires to start super Pacs.

BamaFanNKy
09-14-2012, 06:05 PM
That donor PAC to Massie's campaign was a RON Paul supporter electrified by Ron Paul. There are two methods here, and both have pros and cons. I am more on the idealist side, but can see each have their points. But hiding your light under a bushel doesn't get 21 year old millionaires to start super Pacs.

Did Liberty for All's money help? Yes. Was it the reason Thomas won, no.

GeorgiaAvenger
09-14-2012, 06:14 PM
I guess if Massie wasn't going to challenge him, then it is best to cuddle up to him.

CaptainAmerica
09-15-2012, 12:30 AM
You know, I don't really know what the truth is on that. Probably somewhere in between, would be my guess.

Benton is far from the grassroots right now. Are we going to focus on something constructive sometime to further our goals?

I already am working on something constructive, I was just giving my input to the threads topic thats all.I know bentons choice doesnt effect the grassroots, but it is annoying if he sells my information or steals it and gives it to mcconell who can then sell it to someone in az

wrestlingwes_8
09-15-2012, 12:36 AM

You call it broadening the base...I call it supporting someone who loves war and hates the Constitution

sailingaway
09-15-2012, 12:38 AM
Did Liberty for All's money help? Yes. Was it the reason Thomas won, no.

Your comment was about funding, not winning.

AGRP
09-15-2012, 12:58 AM

Thanks for the reality check. I guess Im not the only one who is tired of this mob mantality especially when at least 90% of them aren't running for any office or believes complaining on an internet forum will change things.

LibertyEagle
09-15-2012, 01:08 AM
I already am working on something constructive, I was just giving my input to the threads topic thats all.I know bentons choice doesnt effect the grassroots, but it is annoying if he sells my information or steals it and gives it to mcconell who can then sell it to someone in az

Yes, it certainly would be, but at this point all that is just a rumor.

Matt Collins
09-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Has it ever crossed anyone's mind that perhaps Jesse is setting up a 2016 Presidential run for Rand and is using Mitch to do it? Having the Senate Majority Leader backing your candidate is very powerful... just a thought..

angelatc
09-15-2012, 10:31 AM
I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Benton's ego must be beyond massive right now. Has any campaign manager ever received such fanfare? Most of the time the position merits only a quick note on Politico. Quick - name Romney's campaign manager! (No, I can't either.)

Brian4Liberty
09-15-2012, 10:45 AM

Not really. Mitch is playing to the Teo-con section of the grass roots. He wants Rand's supporters, not necessarily Ron's supporters.

Has it ever crossed anyone's mind that perhaps Jesse is setting up a 2016 Presidential run for Rand and is using Mitch to do it? Having the Senate Majority Leader backing your candidate is very powerful... just a thought..

I posted that as the best case scenario in the original thread on his hiring.

TomtheTinker
09-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Run a third party ticket on a conservative line.

Feeding the Abscess
09-15-2012, 11:07 AM
You call it broadening the base...I call it supporting someone who loves war and hates the Constitution

What are you talking about? Mitch respects and defends the Constitution:

The job of leader by definition does not accommodate ideological purity, but Senator McConnell’s conservative record is very clear. When the history books are written, it will be said that few Americans have ever done more to protect the First Amendment than Mitch McConnell. He has stood up to presidents of both parties who have sought to curb free speech when it became politically inconvenient for them. Efforts to eliminate our freedoms like so-called “campaign finance reform” are never presented for what they are, and to defend our freedoms is seldom popular. But Mitch McConnell has shown that regardless of the political party or the public sentiment, he will be an unwavering defender of our constitutional rights.

Take that, haters, we're changing hearts and minds!

TomtheTinker
09-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Has it ever crossed anyone's mind that perhaps Jesse is setting up a 2016 Presidential run for Rand and is using Mitch to do it? Having the Senate Majority Leader backing your candidate is very powerful... just a thought.. nonsense....Mitch osnt going to support rand in any meaningful way...the grassroots put Rand in office not McConnell. If Randises Benton I will find somebody else to donate to.

Sola_Fide
09-15-2012, 11:25 AM

I understand all the criticism, I really do. But from another perspective, it is kind of exciting that these liberty people are getting involved in Kentucky politics. As a Kentuckian, I really welcome this (who wouldn't). It's great because it creates a snowball effect...it causes more liberty voices to come to be in positions to win. Also, I credit Rand for completely changing the conservative conversation in Kentucky. Unless you lived here, you probably wouldnt see it like we do. It's really profound.

EDIT: But I have listened to the entire debate and I agree with much of the criticisms.

Matt Collins
09-15-2012, 12:06 PM
nonsense....Mitch osnt going to support rand in any meaningful way...the grassroots put Rand in office not McConnell. Incorrect. in the general election the RPK and RNC/RSCC helped out quite a bit. Mitch has been coming around somewhat, because he sees which way the winds are blowing.

Anti Federalist
09-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Benton's ego must be beyond massive right now. Has any campaign manager ever received such fanfare? Most of the time the position merits only a quick note on Politico. Quick - name Romney's campaign manager! (No, I can't either.)

Neither can I without "googling".

Let alone a Senate race that hasn't even started yet.

So, why do you suppose that is, the media "hype" over this, as you accurately pointed out, minor news item?

My guess?

Rubbing our nose in it.

Throw him in the woods!

angelatc
09-15-2012, 12:33 PM

So, why do you suppose that is, the media "hype" over this, as you accurately pointed out, minor news item?

My guess?

Rubbing our nose in it.

Throw him in the woods!

Sure. Which is exactly what makes him a bad leader. Politics is about building coalitions, not burning bridges.

Anti Federalist
09-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Sure. Which is exactly what makes him a bad leader. Politics is about building coalitions, not burning bridges.

Well, not if it's burning a bridge to bunch of hacks, kooks, crazies and oddballs that you are so scared of of, you feel the need to wear body amour when you are around them.

;)

LibertyEagle
09-15-2012, 01:09 PM
Well, not if it's burning a bridge to bunch of hacks, kooks, crazies and oddballs that you are so scared of of, you feel the need to wear body amour when you are around them.

;)

I doubt he would have worn it, if he hadn't received death threats. I don't blame him at all for wearing it.

LibertyEagle
09-15-2012, 01:09 PM
Incorrect. in the general election the RPK and RNC/RSCC helped out quite a bit. Mitch has been coming around somewhat, because he sees which way the winds are blowing.

Perhaps, but I wouldn't trust him as far as I can spit. Which admittedly isn't very far.

Galileo Galilei
09-15-2012, 01:29 PM
As you probably know, Jesse served as campaign manager for my good friend and colleague Senator Rand Paul in 2010. That campaign was so successful it was dubbed the “Randslide.”

Awesome! Randslide has entered the vernacular!

wrestlingwes_8
09-15-2012, 02:30 PM

I really hope you're joking...

ninepointfive
09-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Boy are they in for a surprise. Maybe Mitch will hire collins too!

angelatc
09-16-2012, 09:01 AM

;)

The official dilution of the liberty movement has begun. Benton is a Tea Party trophy on Mitch's mantle.

Galileo Galilei
09-16-2012, 09:07 AM
The official dilution of the liberty movement has begun. Benton is a Tea Party trophy on Mitch's mantle.

And hence, Benton was a tea party trophy on Ron Paul's mantle for 5 1/2 years, and was on Rand Paul's mantle as well.

Just having Ron Paul in the republican party is a trophy on the GOP mantle since 1996.

angelatc
09-16-2012, 09:14 AM
And hence, Benton was a tea party trophy on Ron Paul's mantle for 5 1/2 years, and was on Rand Paul's mantle as well.

Just having Ron Paul in the republican party is a trophy on the GOP mantle since 1996.

No, they made at least one serious effort to get rid of him, and they failed. They would definitely prefer that we leave "their" party.

Galileo Galilei
09-16-2012, 09:20 AM
No, they made at least one serious effort to get rid of him, and they failed. They would definitely prefer that we leave "their" party.

And maybe the neocons will try to get rid of Benton. I did not see Benton or McConnell on Meet the Press this morning.

angelatc
09-16-2012, 10:22 AM
And maybe the neocons will try to get rid of Benton. I did not see Benton or McConnell on Meet the Press this morning.

Wait until 2016, when Mitch decides to run for President and see if it makes sense then.

Aratus
09-16-2012, 10:27 AM
Incorrect. in the general election the RPK and RNC/RSCC helped out quite a bit. Mitch has been
coming around somewhat, because he sees which way the winds are blowing.

Perhaps, but I wouldn't trust him as far as I can spit. Which admittedly isn't very far.

Awesome! Randslide has entered the vernacular!

Boy are they in for a surprise. Maybe Mitch will hire (THAH) collins too!

Wait until 2016, when Mitch decides to run for President and see if it makes sense then.

i had not tried to factor into this any POTUS ambitions by our future hypothetical magority leader of the senate...

specsaregood
09-16-2012, 10:31 AM
My guess?
Rubbing our nose in it.
Throw him in the woods!

It could be rubbing our nose in it (that thought occurred to me independently) or it could just be that Ron and Rand drive web hits and they like getting traffic. Also, Ron and Rands grassroots/movement is pretty legendary now and putting the credit on one person is just how they prefer to interpret things.

ctiger2
09-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Propaganda

AdamT
09-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Liberty movement want desperately to get rid of neocon McConnell? So Benton is working to get him re-elected?

Aratus
09-16-2012, 10:48 AM
you know the mittsters at MRC are estatic over mitt's big plate dinners and fundraising ability.
the lists jesse may have took are small donors and not people who pay $167,000 to be near a
candidate. karl rove has close connections to senator mitch and has tried to pre!empt the tea
party in the past. whether jesse could have take THE hard-drive with him or a tape or floppy
or cd-rom copy when walking, we know someone did some headhunting and picked up a trophy
at the moment when we can expect the tent to fold and all campaign people to be let go or be
phased back. i admit it's hard to find a job now and i wish jesse benton the best of luck in this.
matt, if you get a feelie or two of a likewise nature, don't burn all bridges with us in any hurry!

Galileo Galilei
09-16-2012, 11:01 AM

McConnell is not presidential material. Sorry.

Galileo Galilei
09-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Liberty movement want desperately to get rid of neocon McConnell? So Benton is working to get him re-elected?

The liberty movement believes in the power of ideas. McConnell is now being exposed to the irresistible ideas of liberty. The liberty movement wants power in the government.

angelatc
09-16-2012, 11:55 AM

Sure. There is a "Ditch Mitch" faction in Kentucky, and you can bet that Mitch knows about it. Keep your enemies closer - isn't that how the old saying goes?

angelatc
09-16-2012, 11:58 AM
McConnell is not presidential material. Sorry.

Not sure what you're basing that on, but apparently neither is Rick Santorum, or Herman Cain, or Michelle Bachman, or Rudy Guiliani, or Duncan Hunter, ..... all of whom ran anyway.

And Mitch can run without giving up his seat. Rand can't.

Those of you that think the campaign was run by geniuses see this differently than I do, admittedly.

Galileo Galilei
09-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Not sure what you're basing that on, but apparently neither is Rick Santorum, or Herman Cain, or Michelle Bachman, or Rudy Guiliani, or Duncan Hunter, ..... all of whom ran anyway.

And Mitch can run without giving up his seat. Rand can't.

Those of you that think the campaign was run by geniuses see this differently than I do, admittedly.

not true. Rand would run in 2015 and keep a senate run for 2016 on the table.

sailingaway
09-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Sure. There is a "Ditch Mitch" faction in Kentucky, and you can bet that Mitch knows about it. Keep your enemies closer - isn't that how the old saying goes?

I saw a website 'Ditch Mitch' yesterday quoting our reactions in various forums to Benton going to Mitch. It is clearly a Dem site but says they never knew they had such a key bond with libertarians. The last words were 'welcome to Kentucky, Jesse!'

Matt Collins
10-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Boy are they in for a surprise. Maybe Mitch will hire collins too!Nope, not now, not ever.

Matt Collins
10-02-2012, 11:13 PM
The official dilution of the liberty movement has begun. Benton is a Tea Party trophy on Mitch's mantle.Read between the lines a bit, and see who is really benefiting from this. Just sayin'....

Matt Collins
10-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Liberty movement want desperately to get rid of neocon McConnell? So Benton is working to get him re-elected?The liberty movement unfortunately is not powerful enough to take him out in all likliehood.

ClydeCoulter
10-02-2012, 11:22 PM
The liberty movement unfortunately is not powerful enough to take him out in all likliehood.

There should be ',''s (commas) around "unfortunately".
It got Rand elected, against that same persons wishes, right?

sailingaway
10-02-2012, 11:24 PM
It got Rand elected, right?

Rand will endorse, I think HAS said he'd support, Mitch in his reelection and Benton, Ron's Granddaughter's husband will be at least titularly running his campaign. I can't see our folks uniting against it at this point, unless some incredible candidate comes out of the woodwork to invigorate everyone.

And we'll be working to support Davis and others. I think if Rand had fought him and we had we might have done it, but fighting both Rand and Mitch, with Rand's supporters torn at best,.... I can't realistically see it happening at this point. With Rand and Benton both in it, I don't see Ron choosing to jump in against them.

Matt Collins
10-02-2012, 11:31 PM
It got Rand elected, against that same persons wishes, right?Getting someone elected in an open seat race is MUCH easier than getting a multi-decade incumbant in the top leadership position thrown out.

Anti Federalist
10-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Getting someone elected in an open seat race is MUCH easier than getting a multi-decade incumbant in the top leadership position thrown out.

But not impossible.

Just ask Dick Lugar.

Of course, it is impossible if people have convinced you to join the machine, rally around the flag, and take one for the team.

NewRightLibertarian
10-03-2012, 01:03 AM
But not impossible.

Just ask Dick Lugar.

Of course, it is impossible if people have convinced you to join the machine, rally around the flag, and take one for the team.

C'mon. Be reasonable, AF. We gotta cozy up to the likes of Jim DeMint and Mitch McConnell. Jack Hunter, Jesse Benton and Matt Collins' political careers depend on it.

Matt Collins
10-03-2012, 01:10 AM
C'mon. Be reasonable, AF. We gotta cozy up to the likes of Jim DeMint and Mitch McConnell. Jack Hunter, Jesse Benton and Matt Collins' political careers depend on it.ha ha ha, I don't have a political career.

NewRightLibertarian
10-03-2012, 01:16 AM
ha ha ha, I don't have a political career.

But I thought you were responsible for Rand Paul's senatorial success!

kathy88
10-03-2012, 03:17 AM
Getting someone elected in an open seat race is MUCH easier than getting a multi-decade incumbant in the top leadership position thrown out.

But not nearly as big a coup.

Matt Collins
10-03-2012, 09:46 AM
But I thought you were responsible for Rand Paul's senatorial success!I started him on his campaign, and then helped him along on his campaign.

ninepointfive
10-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Matt - we dropped this topic two weeks ago.

While you were gone we all became friends again and joined in a kumbayah drum circle!