PDA

View Full Version : The Most Corrupt Members Of Congress, Report Smear

tangent4ronpaul
09-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Please don't give this dingbat clicks unlest you are going to roast her in the comments. She only has 16 so far, so could really use some more of our wrath. Her e-mail address is at the bottom of the article too.

hxxp://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2012/09/12/ron-paul-one-of-the-most-corrupt-members-of-congress-report-finds

Texas Republican Rep. Ron Paul has been named one of the most corrupt members of Congress in a new report from the watchdog group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics.

The report says Paul "double-billed" his travel expenses a number of times over the last decade, meaning he may have been reimbursed for the same flights both under his official allowance as congressman, and by either non-profit groups under his control or his campaign committee.

The revelation would be ironic in part because Paul made fiscal responsibility a central tenet of his 2012 presidential campaign. The congressman celebrated a major victory in July when his bill to audit the Federal Reserve for greater transparency passed the House.

Paul's possible double-billing has been in the public eye since Roll Call first reported it in February, but CREW says there is no evidence Paul has repaid the money since.

A request for comment from Paul's office was not immediately returned.

One of the most troubling cases of the congressman's possible double-billing revolves around reimbursements he received for flights from both his official allowance and the libertarian group the Liberty Committee. At that time, the Liberty Committee's finances were overseen by a relative of the Paul family.

"It's extremely disappointing," Liberty Committee President David James told Whispers of the double-billing.

James says he first noticed a red flag in 2004, after the committee asked Paul for copies of his travel tickets, and the congressman did not provide them. Paul stopped billing the committee shortly after they asked for the tickets, according to James. By 2005, James says he was aware of possible double-billing. But it wasn't until the Roll Call story that he saw how far the problem extended.

The committee conducted its own audit of Paul's finances shortly after the story, and found that 60 percent of the travel Paul had billed to the committee had been doubled-billed.

"We have contacted Congressman Paul to look at the records and repay the amount," James told Whispers. "But our last communication was not even responded to."

James said the committee parted ways with the congressman in 2006 for "a number of reasons."

The committee has not, however, stopped vocally supporting Paul.

James called his policies "just what this country needs." "The message is great," said James. "It's the messenger that is the problem."

Elizabeth Flock is a staff writer for U.S. News & World Report. You can contact her at eflock@usnews.com or follow her on Twitter and Facebook.

https://twitter.com/#%21/lizflock
http://www.facebook.com/elizabeth.flock

-t

ninepointfive
09-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Must be opposites day again?

h xxp://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2012/09/12/ron-paul-one-of-the-most-corrupt-members-of-congress-report-finds

Found this part interesting:

One of the most troubling cases of the congressman's possible double-billing revolves around reimbursements he received for flights from both his official allowance and the libertarian group the Liberty Committee. At that time, the Liberty Committee's finances were overseen by a relative of the Paul family.

ninepointfive
09-12-2012, 12:41 PM
ohh, didn't see you posted this 4 minutes ago.

Check this out:

ninepointfive
09-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Some poeple are posting on the facebook comments that this story is old and has been debunked. But this article is from today

sailingaway
09-12-2012, 12:53 PM
That is insane and they should sue. There was an explanation given when that showed up but the campaign was on and our guys were never given the actual data in question to double check. They suggested someone else might have traveled with him, for example if they really mean Campaign for Liberty, (an example of their accuracy), Ron going to dc or Texas might be covered, but the reason the other person needed to go was funded by C4L. The documents were never turned over for any ability to rebut them more specifically as I understand it. What I hate is them trying to taint his legacy, because this sort of 'most corrupt' language shows up in google searches.

sailingaway
09-12-2012, 12:54 PM
some comments:

Elizabeth Flock Read slightly further than the actual report title - the table of contents will do - or better yet, read the actual section on Ron Paul. He is (1) NOT included in The Crew's list of most corrupt politicians, (2) but rather included in a list of politicians who are "dishonorably mentioned" due to the fact that even they know their (3) evidence that is shaky, unconfirmed and in many cases (4) has since been proven to be inaccurate.

So, the report did NOT find Ron Paul to be one of the most corrupt members of congress. If it did, I am certain they would have included him in their list of "Most Corrupt Members in Congress" wouldn't they?
Reply 1 12 minutes ago

Zachariah Wiedeman Top Commenter Creative Consultant at B to Z Creative
If you can trace the sources back far enough, you can see that this blog post is yet another example of a media echo chamber taking poorly sourced and weakly implied stories and then turning them into a big deal "fact" by re-reporting and exagerating every time. The Roll Call struck first. Then The Crew took it to the next level. Finally, Elizabeth Flock ratchets it up a notch herself. But the ORIGINAL sources come no where close to supporting to the conclusion that is stated in this headline and are themselves very sketchy and not reliable enough to be reported as dead to rights fact.

WEAK journalism, Elizabeth. Very weak.

Ron should demand retraction. Few have a reputation like his and we want to keep it as clean as it is. Others, obviously, want to make him less looked to.

ninepointfive
09-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Sounds reasonable to have a person accompany him on a flight.

Here's the reddit link where I found this for anyone who has an account to go over and correct the misleading post. It's made it to the main page:
h xxp://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/zrzlj/ron_paul_one_of_the_most_corrupt_members_of/

dannno
09-12-2012, 01:13 PM
I emailed usnews and said the author should be fired, this is ridiculous.

ninepointfive
09-12-2012, 01:43 PM
found this - same writer of the article in the op

Washington Post Writer Elizabeth Flock Resigns After Editor's Note Claims 'Significant Ethical Lapse'
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/17/washington-post-elizabeth-flock-resigns_n_1431005.html

sailingaway
09-12-2012, 01:44 PM
It is already in media spin. The article is from today but it is picking up something that came up during the campaign where they couldn't even show the charges, and the campaign said without being able to look them up it couldn't say, but possibly Dr Paul was traveling with someone whose travel was not coverable under Congressional pay (or which Ron wouldn't charge to taxpayers) and it was covered by C4L (or whichever entity that was, Ron's PAC or whatever)

Also, the headline is what I call 'headline libel' since the story doesn't even support it. Ron is NOT on that 'most corrupt' list, he is on an 'also of note' kind of list for this.

They don't want people to look up to him when he leaves congress. I hope he demands a retraction.

donnay
09-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Must be opposites day again?

h xxp://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2012/09/12/ron-paul-one-of-the-most-corrupt-members-of-congress-report-finds

Found this part interesting:

A Huffington Post article in January they try to do the same thing:

Ron Paul Defends First Class Flights

h xxp://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/16/ron-paul-defends-first-cl_n_1208495.html

sailingaway
09-12-2012, 01:56 PM
I just went online to google Ron and it is spreading. It reminds me of the campaign smears, including this one. I was momentarily baffled, then the thought occurred to me that, Mitt's team blames Ron's not endorsing, rather than their own corruption, for people not falling in line behind Romney, so they are trying to make Ron look like just another politician. And they are smearing him as if he were still campaigning against Romney.

I could be wrong, but it is a lie, even just the title to the actual evidence cited, and what other reason would they have, with Ron leaving congress in a few months?

Dr.3D
09-12-2012, 01:59 PM
I just went online to google Ron and it is spreading. It reminds me of the campaign smears, including this one. I was momentarily baffled, then the thought occurred to me that, Mitt's team blames Ron's not endorsing, rather than their own corruption, for people not falling in line behind Romney, so they are trying to make Ron look like just another politician. And they are smearing him as if he were still campaigning against Romney.

I could be wrong, but it is a lie, even just the title to the actual evidence cited, and what other reason would they have, with Ron leaving congress in a few months?
Yeah, seems they decided to drop their "A-bomb" after all. I hope it costs them dearly.

sailingaway
09-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Yeah, seems they decided to drop their "A-bomb" after all. I hope it costs them dearly.

but with the end of the campaign the fundraising machine isn't up to counter it. I hope our guys will do their/our best. The comments I saw on the one article were pretty good, and informative.

As a group I think WE have a big stake in Ron's good name, because it keeps people looking into his principles.

orenbus
09-12-2012, 02:17 PM
I can't really see this as a Romney strategy, I mean I understand the logic, but I don't see how it would be worth while to pursue in terms of effectiveness. Only way would be if Romney campaign is so desperate that they will try anything cause they see Obama as a losing fight with dissension in the base and have run out of ideas, but I'd think the more level headed advisors would rule against it since it could cause more backlash to the party, if Romney's finger prints are ever on it.

Dr.3D
09-12-2012, 02:20 PM
I can't really see this as a Romney strategy, I mean I understand the logic, but I don't see how it would be worth while to pursue in terms of effectiveness. Only way would be if Romney campaign is so desperate that they will try anything cause they see Obama as a losing fight with dissension in the base and have run out of ideas, but I'd think the more level headed advisors would rule against it since it could cause more backlash to the party, if Romney's finger prints are ever on it.
They know they can't win this election without the Paul supporters. They incorrectly believe they can get the Paul supporters to defect if they present them with a crock of shit made to look like Ron Paul is a bad guy.

sailingaway
09-12-2012, 02:26 PM
ninepointfive posted this about the article writer:

found this - same writer of the article in the op

Washington Post Writer Elizabeth Flock Resigns After Editor's Note Claims 'Significant Ethical Lapse'
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/17/washington-post-elizabeth-flock-resigns_n_1431005.html

sailingaway
09-12-2012, 02:26 PM

the advisors will never admit they completely blew how they handled the RNC and conventions leading to that.

Brian4Liberty
09-12-2012, 02:28 PM

Interesting hypothesis. Who knows, wouldn't put it past the Romney machine.

There are two different organizations involved here. One is the Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics (CREW), a left-wing group. The other is US News and the author, Elizabeth Flocks. Why did the later decide to do this piece right now? Maybe related to Romney. CREW has probably had Ron in it's sights for a long time.

More on CREW:

Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics, created and backed by associates of Hillary Clinton, Chuck Schumer, and George Soros. This so-called watchdog group certainly has an agenda.

Two of the founders:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Eisen
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melanie_Sloan

---

"U. S. Senator Hillary Clinton and her associates played a role in the early stages of CREW's history. A key staffer to Clinton, Jodi Sakol, attended brainstorming sessions that established CREW. Sakol made Clinton aware of CREW's need for "Democratic progressive money." Mark Penn, Clinton's pollster and chief strategist, became a director and vice president at CREW."

kylejack
09-12-2012, 02:36 PM
CREW is usually pretty good. I honestly think Dr. Paul's office should respond to this. If they've nothing to hide then come out and talk about it.

sailingaway
09-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Response on policymic

http://www.policymic.com/articles/14629/new-report-smears-ron-paul-wrongfully-calls-him-one-of-most-corrupt-members-of-congress/216958

sailingaway
09-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Response on policymic http://www.policymic.com/articles/14629/new-report-smears-ron-paul-wrongfully-calls-him-one-of-most-corrupt-members-of-congress/216958

sailingaway
09-12-2012, 03:54 PM
CREW is usually pretty good. I honestly think Dr. Paul's office should respond to this. If they've nothing to hide then come out and talk about it.

They did respond, a YEAR ago. The handful of charges are from so many years ago there is no back up data, and they can't be checked to prove another person did or did not travel.

This was a campaign era smear that someone is retreading for their own peculiar reasons. Also he was NOT on the list, he was just mentioned in the report.

kylejack
09-12-2012, 03:55 PM
They did respond, a YEAR ago. The charges are from so long ago there is no back up data, and they can't be checked to prove another person did or did not travel.

This was a campaign era smear that someone is retreading for their own peculiar reasons. Also he was NOT on the list, he was just mentioned in the report.
Yes, and the response acknowledged that it may have happened in some cases. So...? Since it was done in error, has it now been corrected? Who was reimbursed, the PAC or the taxpayers?

sailingaway
09-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Yes, and the response acknowledged that it may have happened in some cases. So...? Since it was done in error, has it now been corrected? Who was reimbursed, the PAC or the taxpayers?

Note the part about how they couldn't tell because the chargers had to go back so far in history there were no longer back up records retained to see what happened.

donnay
09-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Consider the source:

Washington Post journalist resigns after ‘significant ethical lapse’ reported in her work
By Agence France-Presse (http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/04/16/washington-post-journalist-resigns-amid-cloud-of-plagiarism-report/)
Monday, April 16, 2012 19:32 EDT

WASHINGTON — A Washington Post writer whose blog posts triggered editor’s notes for “serious factual errors” and what was described as a “significant ethical lapse” has resigned from the newspaper.

Elizabeth Flock, 26, told AFP that she resigned on Friday before the Post published a second editor’s note about her work and that she was not pressured to quit.

In December, an editor’s note was posted above a blog post by Flock titled “Mitt Romney is using a KKK (Ku Klux Klan) slogan in his speeches.”

“This posting contains multiple, serious factual errors that undermine its premise,” the editor’s note read.

“Mitt Romney is not using ‘Keep America American,’ which was once a KKK slogan, as a catchphrase in stump speeches, as the posting and headline stated,” it said. “Romney actually used a different phrase, ‘Keep America America.’”

The most recent editor’s note stated that a Flock blog post had made “inappropriate, extensive use of an original report by Discovery News and also failed to credit that news organization as the primary source for the blog post.

“This was a significant ethical lapse and not in keeping with our journalistic standards,” the editor’s note said. “We apologize to Discovery News.”

Flock worked at blogPost, which describes itself as the newspaper’s online “home for breaking news and conversation.”

Contacted by AFP, Post spokeswoman Kris Coratti said: “We do not comment on personnel issues.”

sailingaway
09-12-2012, 04:22 PM
that CREW being leftist is a big point because Obama loses in comparison to Ron and the could be trying to make Ron look worse to make OBAMA look better. But wasn't the report a year ago?

sailingaway
09-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Here is a very thorough debunking: http://optimiskeptic.com/2012/09/12/u-s-news-world-report-crew-blow-it-big-time/

CableNewsJunkie
09-12-2012, 05:51 PM
http://optimiskeptic.com/2012/09/12/u-s-news-world-report-crew-blow-it-big-time/

Todd
09-12-2012, 05:54 PM
lol at this stupidity

Dianne
09-12-2012, 07:44 PM
That's hysterical ... almost passed out laughing. So the GOP thinks we're going to read this, forgive them of their sins and vote for Rummey, since Paul is sooooooooooo corrupt.... That was even worse than FAUX News, lmao ... too funny!!!

Constitutional Paulicy
09-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Watchdog Group Gives Ron Paul 'Dishonorable Mention' in Corruption Report
By Mark Whittington
5 hrs ago

Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Congress (CREW) has issued a report on whom they regard to be the most corrupt members of Congress, Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, receives what the group refers to a "dishonorable mention."

CREW report claims double billing of travel expenses

The report claims that Paul paid for travel expenses using his congressional allowance while at the same time also receiving funds for the same expenses from political and non-profit supporters. The report quotes a Paul representative as claiming that any instances of double billing were "inadvertent" and that no taxpayer funds were misused. Nevertheless, the report suggests that Paul may be guilty of conversion of federal property for private use, making false statements, making false claims, and conduct not reflecting credibility on the House.

Paul accused of paying family members for political work

According to a story in US News, CREW has previously accused Paul of paying family members to work for him either in his political campaign or various organizations that he has run. This amounted to $304,599 for six family members. According to NBC News, Ron Paul's 2012 campaign chairman and grandson-in-law Jesse Benton hit back, suggesting that payments to Paul relatives accounted for only a fraction of 1 percent of money spent by Paul's political campaigns over the past five years. CREW admitted that Paul employing relatives was perfectly legal and in adherence to congressional rules, but implied that many campaign donors were not aware that Paul relatives were working for Paul and suggesting that constituted an appearance of impropriety.

Ron Paul in opposition to government "corruption"

Despite the accusation of corruption, Paul has painted himself as a champion against government corruption. For example, according to his campaign website, he is an advocate of auditing the Federal Reserve under the theory that it operates "in the shadows" and has thus contributed a great deal to the debasing of the American dollar. Paul has also inveighed against American foreign and defense policy, which he holds is being run solely by an unaccountable executive branch against the interests of the American people.

CREW's mission

The Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Congress, which has leveled accusations of corruption against Paul, states that its mission is to, "ensure government officials -- regardless of party affiliation -- act with honesty and integrity and merit the public trust." It does this by "marrying in-depth research and investigation with hard-charging legal action and an aggressive communications strategy." Its goal is to develop coalitions to enact policies that promote transparency and accountability.

Texas resident Mark Whittington writes about state issues for the Yahoo! Contributor Network.

source here........ hxxp://news.yahoo.com/watchdog-group-gives-ron-paul-dishonorable-mention-corruption-203000185.html

dbill27
09-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Isn't this an old story that turned out to be completely bullshit?

Brian4Liberty
09-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Consider the source:

Washington Post journalist resigns after ‘significant ethical lapse’ reported in her work

It sounds like she is a shoe-in for a future job at the SPLC.

acptulsa
09-13-2012, 05:29 AM
The more the world changes, the more U.S. Views and World Distort remains the same.

Travel vouchers count but lobbyists don't. Taking money from lobbyists or corporations isn't corruption, you see. Hasn't been since they legalized this bribery and turned it into campaign contributions back in the Reagan days.

Of course, they could compare Ron Paul's total receipts from the Treasury with those of other 24 year representatives. But that's yet another view they'd rather distort than report.

presence
09-13-2012, 06:15 AM
Texas Republican Rep. Ron Paul has been named one of the most corrupt members of Congress in a new report from the watchdog group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics.

I started to read the story to my wife...

"Are you reading the Onion?"

------------------

You've got to be kidding me:

Where the list of Ron's pay-to-play cronies with no bid government contracts, influence over legislation, political appointments, or nominations?
Where's the running total of the $100k office budget Ron returns to the Treasury each year?
Where are the self serving friendships and family ties between businessmen and the government which influence the economy and society to the extent that it corrupts public serving economic and political ideals? Was Solyndra Ron's deal?
Where are Ron's mil-industrial-complex connections and campaign contributions?
Where are his connections to the banking cartel? The oil and pharm cartel?

Amid the the storm of plutocratic kleptocracy I'm failing to see the faintest hint of Ron Paul's "political entrepreneurship".

http://billstclair.com/blog/images/dont-steal.jpg

Fr3shjive
09-14-2012, 07:41 AM
http://www.crewsmostcorrupt.org/page/-/PDFs/Reports/Most%20Corrupt%20Reports/CREW-Most-Corrupt-Members-of-Congress-Report-2012.pdf

Has this already been discussed?

acptulsa
09-14-2012, 07:43 AM
Sort of. These people are parroting U.S. Views and World Distort.

Gravik
09-14-2012, 02:30 PM
LOL what???

eleganz
09-14-2012, 02:32 PM
is this another case of 'getting the facts wrong' like the MSNBC guy did by accusing Ron Paul for flying first class on government dime?

acptulsa
09-14-2012, 02:34 PM
LOL what???

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2012/09/12/ron-paul-one-of-the-most-corrupt-members-of-congress-report-finds

A shocked and surprised reaction and a link to U.S. Views and World Distort. Seems pretty self-explanitory to me

TheGrinch
09-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Yes, I'm sure the same guy who refuses to take a congressional pension and has never accepted lobbyist money is the guy we need to worry about :rolleyes:

Gee, I have no idea why I have a hard time believing and getting outraged by this.

sailingaway
09-14-2012, 02:40 PM
You have repeatedly posted really bad headlines and I have asked you to modify them several times, noting that they come up in google searches and are tweeted out.

this has already been posted and debunked and is in media spin, where it belongs.

jcarcinogen
09-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Update, 3:13 p.m.:

Paul’s office says it declines to comment on the CREW report, and referred Whispers back to the comment given to Roll Call in February.

At the time, Paul’s spokesman Jesse Benton denied the congressman was reimbursed multiple times for the same trips, saying "absolutely zero taxpayer funds were ever misused." Benton also said it was "possible that wholly inadvertent errors were made in a handful of instances.”

abruzz0
09-15-2012, 02:15 AM
lol

Okie RP fan
09-15-2012, 08:33 AM
Is this that group that Santorum was touting during the debates? You know, the one that labeled him "most conservative" and Ron Paul "most liberal" or something like that?

thoughtomator
09-15-2012, 08:35 AM
LOL well that pretty much puts the nail in any credibility that CREW may have had.

AdamT
09-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Breaking: C.R.E.W. listed as most likely considered to be a joke.

Brian4Liberty
09-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Has this already been discussed?

Yes.

sailingaway
09-15-2012, 11:17 AM
many times, and debunked, in media spin. This was from a campaign smear and has just been picked up by CREW. It was actively pushed by one particular person apparently. look at the posts on this in 'media spin'.

But your title is false, even CREW didn't put him in the top 20 list, he was an 'also mentioned' for this nonsense.