PDA

View Full Version : Conservatives threaten to "shut down" GOP if Romney loses

Badger Paul
09-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Here's the link to the story (http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2012/09/rightwing-radio-romney-loses-gop-dies-135205.html) in Politico.

LibertyEagle
09-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Page not found.

Badger Paul
09-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Try this link: (http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/political-animal-a/2012_09/win_or_disband039836.php)

LibertyEagle
09-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Nope. Doesn't work.

Badger Paul
09-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Here's some of the content:

"Leading conservative talk show hosts Rush Limbaugh and Laura Ingraham are both arguing that the Republican party will or should be shut down if Mitt Romney loses in November — an idea that, however hard to believe, gives you an indication of the right wing’s dissatisfaction with the Republican party.

“If you can’t beat Barack Obama with this record, then shut down the party. Shut it down, start new, with new people. Because this is a gimme election, or at least it should be,” Ingraham said on her radio program yesterday. “Election after election, we hire people who have lost previous campaigns, who have run campaigns that have failed, who have messaged campaigns where the message fell flat, and they keep getting re-hired.”

Where Ingraham made an argument, Limbaugh made a prediction: The Republicans would fall, but not before blaming the conservative base for their woes and opening a window for a third, more conservative party to take their place.

“If Obama wins, let me tell you what it’s the end of: The Republican Party. There’s gonna be a third party that’s gonna be oriented toward conservatism. I know Rand Paul thinks libertarianism. And I know if Obama wins, the Republican Party is gonna try to maneuver things so conservatives get blamed,” he said.

“The only problem is, right now Romney’s not running a conservative campaign. But they’re gonna set it up to say, ‘Well, the right sat home,’ or, ‘The right made Romney be other than who he is.’ They’ll try to deflect the blame, but they got who they want.”

Badger Paul
09-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Try again, different website.

LibertyEagle
09-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Here is the link from Politico:
http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2012/09/rightwing-radio-romney-loses-gop-dies-135205.html

kathy88
09-12-2012, 11:39 AM
I thought you said conservatives. That piece is talking about Rush Limbaugh and Laura Ingram. Geesh.

KMX
09-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Romney is a joke!

mczerone
09-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Is that a threat, or a promise?

Anti Federalist
09-12-2012, 11:45 AM
You will not win, without us.

Period.

Accommodate us and hold your noses for a while, like we have had to do with all your failure candidates for the last, shit, over 20 years now.

LibertyEagle
09-12-2012, 11:47 AM

Period.

Accommodate us and hold your noses for a while, like we have had to do with all your failure candidates for the last, shit, over 20 years now.

What's this "us" stuff? I thought you dropped out.

LibertyEagle
09-12-2012, 11:47 AM

Period.

cjm
09-12-2012, 11:49 AM

In that context, I'm pretty sure he means the Ron Paul coalition of Democrats, Republicans, LP, and independents that would have won Ron a general election.

Anti Federalist
09-12-2012, 11:49 AM
RightHaven has been put in prison, no need for all this pussy footing around.

Right-wing radio: Romney loses, GOP dies

By DYLAN BYERS | 9/11/12 4:19 PM EDT

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2012/09/rightwing-radio-romney-loses-gop-dies-135205.html

Leading conservative talk show hosts Rush Limbaugh and Laura Ingraham are both arguing that the Republican party will or should be shut down if Mitt Romney loses in November -- an idea that, however hard to believe, gives you an indication of the right wing's dissatisfaction with the Republican party.

"If you can't beat Barack Obama with this record, then shut down the party. Shut it down, start new, with new people. Because this is a gimme election, or at least it should be," Ingraham said on her radio program yesterday. "Election after election, we hire people who have lost previous campaigns, who have run campaigns that have failed, who have messaged campaigns where the message fell flat, and they keep getting re-hired."

Where Ingraham made an argument, Limbaugh made a prediction: The Republicans would fall, but not before blaming the conservative base for their woes and opening a window for a third, more conservative party to take their place.

"If Obama wins, let me tell you what it's the end of: The Republican Party. There's gonna be a third party that's gonna be oriented toward conservatism. I know Rand Paul thinks libertarianism. And I know if Obama wins, the Republican Party is gonna try to maneuver things so conservatives get blamed," he said.

"The only problem is, right now Romney's not running a conservative campaign. But they're gonna set it up to say, 'Well, the right sat home,' or, 'The right made Romney be other than who he is.' They'll try to deflect the blame, but they got who they want."

Dr.3D
09-12-2012, 11:50 AM

Period.

Yeah, more than 40 years from what I've seen. Even Reagan was a joke. He sounded good while running and then did a 180 after elected.

CableNewsJunkie
09-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Boehner, Priebus and his new lapdog Villere - didn't do their jobs right.

"And when somebody does not do the job, we got to let them go.” - Clint Eastwood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yoqKdWY692k#t=590s

Anti Federalist
09-12-2012, 11:52 AM

You just trying to pick a fight today?

Not obliging.

I have one foot in both camps.

Call me a hypocrite, I don't really care.

ETA - And of course I "dropped out".

Are you voting Romney in November?

Anti Federalist
09-12-2012, 11:53 AM
In that context, I'm pretty sure he means the Ron Paul coalition of Democrats, Republicans, LP, and independents that would have won Ron a general election.

Thank you, that is precisley what I meant, but LE couldn't see that today, since she is just out looking for fight now.

dannno
09-12-2012, 11:54 AM
"If Obama wins, let me tell you what it's the end of: The Republican Party. There's gonna be a third party that's gonna be oriented toward conservatism. I know Rand Paul thinks libertarianism. And I know if Obama wins, the Republican Party is gonna try to maneuver things so conservatives get blamed ," he said.

"The only problem is, right now Romney's not running a conservative campaign. But they're gonna set it up to say, 'Well, the right sat home,' or, 'The right made Romney be other than who he is.' They'll try to deflect the blame, but they got who they want."

Rush makes some good points.

Anti Federalist
09-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Yeah, more than 40 years from what I've seen. Even Reagan was a joke. He sounded good while running and then did a 180 after elected.

I self censored myself from saying that, since so many people are on edge, I didn't want to come off as attacking an iconic GOP godhead figure, but you are, of course, absolutely right.

LibertyEagle
You just trying to pick a fight today?

Not obliging.

I have one foot on both camps.

Call me a hypocrite, I don't really care.

Oh, come on. I was just ribbing you. Because, don't I remember you encouraging people to leave the Republican Party and just yesterday say that nothing can be done politically? :p

I was just wondering if you had changed your mind.

georgiaboy
I'm afraid this may be creating a familiar "crisis" narrative so the Romney campaign can promote a fake shift in a "conservative" direction, giving everyone the rhetorical ammo they need to "Support Romney!!"

blech.

Anti Federalist
09-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Oh, come on. I was just ribbing you. Because, don't I remember you encouraging people to leave the Republican Party and just yesterday say that nothing can be done politically? :p

Well dammit, give me /s/ or something. I've been up half the night traveling...:toady:

Yes, I have said that, and like I said, I have one foot in both camps.

ETA - Actually, this is a good opportunity to make my position clear.

1 - I do think it is too late to achieve anything politically at a federal level.

2 - I do not stop trying myself or actively discourage others from trying, even though calling out obvious failures, corruption, "dirty tricks" and pandering may appear to be discouragement.

3 - I do this so that, just like the founders, when the time comes for other actions, by natural causes or man made action, revolt, secession, financial dissolution, invasion, at that point at least there will be some moral high ground to be had, in that it could be said that "everything was tried before it got to this".

4 - I am suspicious of using the GOP (or any established political party) as means with which to continue to try in these efforts.

July
09-12-2012, 12:10 PM
I'm afraid this may be creating a familiar "crisis" narrative so the Romney campaign can promote a fake shift in a "conservative" direction, giving everyone the rhetorical ammo they need to "Support Romney!!"

blech.

I kinda feel that way too, like it is reverse psychology, or a warning, maybe. If Romney loses, the party dies, conservatives get blamed, and then Rand Paul and his libertarians take over. So vote Mitt, or else.... lol.

HOLLYWOOD
09-12-2012, 12:11 PM
It's a party of ONE... ONE big government criminal party.

the article... the author

Ed Kilgore (EKilgore@WashingtonMonthly.com) is a contributing writer to the Washington Monthly. He is is managing editor for The Democratic Strategist, a senior fellow at the Progressive Policy Institute, and a Special Correspondent for The New Republic.

sailingaway
09-12-2012, 12:27 PM
I thought you said conservatives. That piece is talking about Rush Limbaugh and Laura Ingram. Geesh.

i was confused as well. Ingram is better than Rush, though.

georgiaboy
09-12-2012, 12:31 PM
The conservative base should applaud a Mitt loss, because we know he's a liberal and therefore should lose as the GOP candidate.

A Mitt loss gives hope to us conservatives who want to see the GOP realize that it needs to nominate actual conservatives or continue losing.

No reason for conservatives to leave the GOP. We want the liberals to leave.

puppetmaster
09-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Boehner, Priebus and his new lapdog Villere - didn't do their jobs right.

"And when somebody does not do the job, we got to let them go.” - Clint Eastwood

oh they did their jobs right I am sure they will be rewarded.....

Anti Federalist
09-12-2012, 12:38 PM
The comments are a hoot.

alucard13mmfmj
09-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Oh I get it... Some of our people is getting into the GOP party positions and are there to stay. Now they are trying to set the narrative to get the party shut down lol.

Romney will most likely lose (unless there is more arab blowback that makes Obama looks weak).

Romney has no grassroot supporters. Obama has an army of grassroot fanatics. The best tactic would have been Ron Paul grassroot fanatics. Fanatics to fight fanatics.

cajuncocoa
09-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Oh I get it... Some of our people is getting into the GOP party positions and are there to stay. Now they are trying to set the narrative to get the party shut down lol.

That's what I was thinking, too. I'm sure they have people here, reading what the Liberty movement's plans are.

Lucille
09-12-2012, 12:57 PM
The comments are a hoot.

I especially liked the first one, about how the party needs to be more moderate. As if it isn't now. (Unless that person's talking about social issues.)

Honestly, I don't know why the left complains. It's the only direction this country has ever moved, no matter which team has the majority.

GunnyFreedom
09-12-2012, 01:04 PM
I especially liked the first one, about how the party needs to be more moderate. As if it isn't now. (Unless that person's talking about social issues.)

Honestly, I don't know why the left complains.

Because that's how they have accomplished this:

It's the only direction this country has ever moved, no matter which team has the majority.

cajuncocoa
09-12-2012, 01:05 PM

Honestly, I don't know why the left complains. It's the only direction this country has ever moved, no matter which team has the majority.They complain because, no matter how many gains they make, it won't be enough until everyone is equal in every way....no one person should ever have more than another. Oh, and government rules, baby.

VBRonPaulFan
09-12-2012, 01:24 PM
The conservative base should applaud a Mitt loss, because we know he's a liberal and therefore should lose as the GOP candidate.

A Mitt loss gives hope to us conservatives who want to see the GOP realize that it needs to nominate actual conservatives or continue losing.

No reason for conservatives to leave the GOP. We want the liberals to leave.

+1, conservatives voting for Romney is like a dog owner rewarding a dog that just shit on their carpet.

it actually gives me some hope to think that after Romney loses, some of the fake conservatives may hopefully be pushed out of the party.

AuH20
09-12-2012, 01:39 PM

Honestly, I don't know why the left complains. It's the only direction this country has ever moved, no matter which team has the majority.

True. In the last 100 years, how many real conservatives did we really have as president??? 2? Harding & Coolidge?? In the 1960s, Goldwater fought his way to the republican nomination and was obliterated by the "objective" press. The game is so rigged that's its glaringly obvious what Quigley was talking about. Offer the illusion of choice while gradually moving towards the stated goals of the Fabian Society.

NoOneButPaul
09-12-2012, 01:45 PM
When it comes time to restart the party... I hope you all know what to do.

Our time is coming.

orenbus
09-12-2012, 02:26 PM
When it comes time to restart the party... I hope you all know what to do.

Hmm vote libertarian?

Tinnuhana
09-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Nominate libertarian in the GOP primary
Then vote republican
I don't see a problem. There are even liberty people (in NH at least) running in the democrat primaries.

Isn't threatening to close down the same thing that went on before the Iowa straw poll? "If Ron Paul wins, blah, blah, blah).

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
09-12-2012, 03:02 PM

Good. Let them leave and let's see how they do with ballot access.

GunnyFreedom
09-12-2012, 03:33 PM
They are welcome to join my own proposed "Party of the Constitutional Republic" the platform for which consists of one categorically re-ordered policy statement drawn expositionally* from the text of the US Constitution (national party) and the same for the State Constitution (state parties), and one professional definition of a "Republic" per the Founders writings, and accounting from Ancient Rome to now.

* Exposition, or expository preaching is a technical method of biblical interpretation where only the text may be directly and logically expounded to produce the message or the explanation. The same technique may be applied to crafting a platform, given a list of questions people might ask (a FAQ) respond with Constitutional exposition on that topic, and then elaborate with a quote from the Federalist and/or the Antifederalist Papers and other contemporary writings of the framers at the time of this debate.

PS - on the subject of platforms for new Conservative parties, you usually need a draft platform for delegates to amend. Anyone interested in helping draft a platform around the following basic proposed structure?

Platform of the Party of the Constitutional Republic

Preamble defines the purpose of the PotCR "to restore government compliance with the United States and the several State Constitution at all levels."

Introduction to the Platform being the entire elaborated exchange that led to Ben Franklin's famous "A Republic, Ma'am, if you can keep it."

Then the Platform Policy (Constitutional Exposition)

Then the Extended definition of a Republic (Rome to now)

Then a short essay on USC Article 4 Section 4 "...guarantee to all states a republican form of government."

Then a short essay on the balance of powers focusing on Checks and Balances, Article 6, 9th and 10th Amendment, and the effect of the 14th Amendment.

Finally a pledge to do all things in politics in a sincere effort to restore the Constitutional order for our State and for the United States of America.

I also propose that the name for members of the Party of the Constitutional Republic be "Constitutional Republicans," and listed on ballots that require initials as "CR"

:p

jmdrake
09-12-2012, 03:45 PM

Well, technically it sounds like Rush Limp-paw and Laura Ingrate are saying if Romney loses there will be no GOP to leave. I dunno, but that kinda sounds like AF's wildest dream.

Philhelm
09-12-2012, 03:59 PM
I just don't understand how gun-grabbing, healthcare hurling, Mitt Romney is viewed as being even remotely conservative.

devil21
09-12-2012, 04:01 PM
I just don't understand how gun-grabbing, healthcare hurling, Mitt Romney is viewed as being even remotely conservative.

He's not. He's viewed as not being the muslim black guy and that's enough to a lot of people.

anaconda
09-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Don't forget the Ingraham and Limbaugh are statist operatives. They only want a republican candidate with different talking points..i.e a better and bigger liar. These two shitheads are no friends of liberty.

AuH20
09-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Don't forget the Ingraham and Limbaugh are statist operatives. They only want a republican candidate with different talking points..i.e a better and bigger liar. These two shitheads are no friends of liberty.

Ingraham is a Dartmouth law product. Limbaugh took the money and never looked back.

anaconda
09-12-2012, 05:36 PM
Ingraham is a Dartmouth law product. Limbaugh took the money and never looked back.

My favorite Ron Paul interview ever is one he gave with Laura Ingraham. He was on a total roll...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNHYhTySro4

trey4sports
09-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Bring that corrupt fucking establishment to it's knees!!!!

georgiaboy
09-12-2012, 05:48 PM
My version of the article's title:

Conservatives look forward to leading GOP after Romney loses

DamianTV
09-13-2012, 02:43 AM
The GOP shut down the GOP not not endorsing Ron Paul as their Presidential Nominee. Not many really support Romney, and those that are willing to vote for him are stuck in the illusion that he is somehow going to be different than Obama, or it will somehow give us an advantage next election, if there even is one.

Chrysamere
09-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Almost makes me want to see Obama win.

The gop is a cancer that should be destroyed and erased from history.