PDA

View Full Version : Hobby Lobby sues over birth control mandate

cajuncocoa
09-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Hobby Lobby has joined dozens of groups suing the Obama administration over its embattled contraception mandate, becoming the largest business yet to legally challenge the requirement that employers provide their workers with birth control coverage.

David Green, CEO of the chain of more than 500 arts and crafts stores, says he'll have to pay as much as $1.3 million in daily fines if he doesn't pay for types of contraception he and other evangelicals morally oppose, including the so-called "morning after" pill.

Mr. Green is the first non-Catholic business owner to sue over the requirement, which the administration spelled out earlier this year as part of President Obama's health care law. As of August, most large employers must provide health coverage that includes preventive services like cancer screenings, flu shots — and contraception — without charging a co-pay.

Major Catholic dioceses and a slew of other Catholic and evangelical-led businesses, colleges and universities have sued over the mandate, saying it violates their religious freedom, while the administration and most Democrats say it provides women with important health care services.

Hobby Lobby has filed suit in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma. None of its stores are open on Sundays and the business is founded on "honoring the Lord in a manner consistent with biblical principles," according to its website.

Read more: Hobby Lobby sues over birth control mandate - Washington Times (http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2012/sep/12/hobby-lobby-sues-over-birth-control-mandate/#ixzz26HBJos8W) http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2012/sep/12/hobby-lobby-sues-over-birth-control-mandate/#ixzz26HBJos8W

Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=ctd-fI3Dar4z1uacwqm_6r&u=washtimes)

dbill27
09-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Good for hobby lobby. More companies need to sue. Obamacare is as anti-liberty as you can get.

georgiaboy
09-12-2012, 11:23 AM
David Green, CEO of the chain of more than 500 arts and crafts stores, says he'll have to pay as much as $1.3 million in daily fines if he doesn't pay for types of contraception he and other evangelicals morally oppose, including the so-called "morning after" pill.

:eek:

Hopefully this move is the start of similar responses to these heinous overreaches by gov't.

Rand's "Government Bullies" book couldn't have come at a more opportune time.

georgiaboy
09-12-2012, 11:27 AM
It would be nice to see an aggregation across America of all the folks petitioning their fedgov for common causes such as these.

oyarde
09-12-2012, 11:35 AM
I support this. Fuck a birth control mandate .Want some ? , go buy it .

dbill27
09-12-2012, 11:53 AM
I support this. Fuck a birth control mandate .Want some ? , go buy it .

It's not just birth control but mandates in general. Birth control mandates are a great example of a much bigger issue in regards to the morality of gov't and taxation. What a disgrace that those against war are forced to pay for it, those against the war on drugs are forced to pay for it etc..

jbauer
09-12-2012, 12:49 PM
It's not just birth control but mandates in general. Birth control mandates are a great example of a much bigger issue in regards to the morality of gov't and taxation. What a disgrace that those against war are forced to pay for it, those against the war on drugs are forced to pay for it etc..

Tried having that conversation with my pro-Isreal office profesional the other day. I'm Christian if it matters.....but I told her that her church and those like it could set up a pro-Isreal fund and send their kids over to die but not to take my tax dollars and my children to fight a fight thats not ours to fight.