PDA

View Full Version : Former Reporter Amber Lyon Exposes Massive Censorship At CNN

John F Kennedy III
09-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Former Reporter Amber Lyon Exposes Massive Censorship At CNN

Michael Krieger
Liberty Blitzkrieg.com
Sept 10, 2012

I saw first-hand that these regime claims were lies, and I couldn’t believe CNN was making me put what I knew to be government lies into my reporting.

- Amber Lyon

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/434/amberlyon.jpg

The Amber Lyon story is just the latest in a series of articles that expose the total Joseph Goebbels like censorship rampant in mainstream media today. The first one I posted several weeks ago exposed how the NY Times basically just regurgitates whatever government officials tell them, while the other showcased how an NPR reporter covering D.C. had to leave and do her own thing out of frustration. This is precisely why alternative media sites are taking off. They provide the only outlets left for genuine journalism.

So back to Amber. Back in March 2011, CNN sent a four person team to Bahrain to cover the Arab Spring. Once there, the crew was the subject of extreme intimidation amongst other things, but they were able to record some fantastic footage. As Glenn Greenwald of the UK’s Guardian writes in his blockbuster article from today:

“In the segment, Lyon interviewed activists as they explicitly described their torture at the hands of government forces, while family members recounted their relatives’ abrupt disappearances. She spoke with government officials justifying the imprisonment of activists. And the segment featured harrowing video footage of regime forces shooting unarmed demonstrators, along with the mass arrests of peaceful protesters. In sum, the early 2011 CNN segment on Bahrain presented one of the starkest reports to date of the brutal repression embraced by the US-backed regime.

Despite these accolades, and despite the dangers their own journalists and their sources endured to produce it, CNN International (CNNi) never broadcast the documentary. Even in the face of numerous inquiries and complaints from their own employees inside CNN, it continued to refuse to broadcast the program or even provide any explanation for the decision. To date, this documentary has never aired on CNNi.

Having just returned from Bahrain, Lyon says she “saw first-hand that these regime claims were lies, and I couldn’t believe CNN was making me put what I knew to be government lies into my reporting.”

After Lyon’s crew returned from Bahrain, CNN had no correspondents regularly reporting on the escalating violence. In emails to her producers and executives, Lyon repeatedly asked to return to Bahrain. Her requests were denied, and she was never sent back. She thus resorted to improvising coverage by interviewing activists via Skype in an attempt, she said, “to keep Bahrain in the news”.

In March 2012, Lyon was laid off from CNN as part of an unrelated move by the network to outsource its investigative documentaries.

“At this point,” Lyon said, “I look at those payments as dirty money to stay silent. I got into journalism to expose, not help conceal, wrongdoing, and I’m not willing to keep quiet about this any longer, even if it means I’ll lose those payments.”

Amber Lyon, I salute you.

Please forward this post to everyone you know. I for one want to live in a country with some real and free press. Not some CIA propaganda arm that pretends to be a reliable source of news.

Original article here:
http://libertyblitzkrieg.com/2012/09/04/meet-amber-lyon-former-reporter-exposes-massive-censorship-at-cnn/

TheGrinch
09-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Perhaps the least shocking article ever in a Ron Paul forum :p

HOLLYWOOD
09-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Old News to the Investigative and well Informed membership of RPF! Too bad the clueless majority of American public, still believe the fascist propaganda horseshit corporate Main Stream Media dishes out on the airwaves 24/7

VoluntaryAmerican
09-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Google the Guardian article its much more detailed about the full story.

edit:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/04/cnn-international-documentary-bahrain-arab-spring-repression

dbill27
09-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Couldn't it be as simple as cnn didn't feel a documentary about bahrain would get the ratings justified to put it on the air? CNN made her report what the regime was saying even though it was a lie. Isn't the point of journalism to report what every side is saying and let the viewer decide? This doesn't sound very shocking.

Bruno
09-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Couldn't it be as simple as cnn didn't feel a documentary about bahrain would get the ratings justified to put it on the air? CNN made her report what the regime was saying even though it was a lie. Isn't the point of journalism to report what every side is saying and let the viewer decide? This doesn't sound very shocking.

On iphone, harder to insert needed facepalm pic

dbill27
09-11-2012, 08:22 PM
On iphone, harder to insert needed facepalm pic

Yeah, we know how the media always schills for the middle eastern governments. I remember them very clearly defending saddam, ghaddafi, and now they're always trying so hard to get iran's version of the story out.

Bruno
09-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Yeah, we know how the media always schills for the middle eastern governments. I remember them very clearly defending saddam, ghaddafi, and now they're always trying so hard to get iran's version of the story out.

The media shills for the government. They did shill for Saddam. That murderer was once our ally if you remember. Current Afghan rebels were freedom fighters.

dbill27
09-11-2012, 08:36 PM
The media shills for the government. They did shill for Saddam. That murderer was once our ally if you remember. Current Afghan rebels were freedom fighters.

Not a very good response. The journalist is mad because cnn made her report the gov't's statement although in her opinion it was obviously a lie (and it certainly was). This is somehow bad on cnn's part? What if she was covering the situation between iran and israel. Iran's gov't releases a statement that they don't have nukes or the intention to. Said reporter thinks this is obviously a lie. She shouldn't report it because she thinks it's a lie?

VoluntaryAmerican
09-11-2012, 09:04 PM

Very unlikely.

The function of Journalism is to be a watchdog against government and to tell the truth about current events.

VoluntaryAmerican
09-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Not a very good response. The journalist is mad because cnn made her report the gov't's statement although in her opinion it was obviously a lie (and it certainly was). This is somehow bad on cnn's part? What if she was covering the situation between iran and israel. Iran's gov't releases a statement that they don't have nukes or the intention to. Said reporter thinks this is obviously a lie. She shouldn't report it because she thinks it's a lie?

She had first hand knowledge that the government was committing crimes against the people.

CNN chose to run he quotes that gave the Bahrain government's take instead when they knew it wasn't truthful.

Yes, this is very shitty journalism on CNN's part.

Then they fire this journalist who apparently had too much sense for CNN,

RonRules
09-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Soon one of these reporter will tell about how the Liberty movement was snubbed from TV news.

dbill27
09-11-2012, 09:21 PM
She had first hand knowledge that the government was committing crimes against the people.

CNN chose to run he quotes that gave the Bahrain government's take instead when they knew it wasn't truthful.

Yes, this is very shitty journalism on CNN's part.

Then they fire this journalist who apparently had too much sense for CNN,

From what this article says the entire segment or documentary wasn't even aired. It didn't say anything regarding cnn making her only report on the gov't's version or telling her to make the gov't's version look true. That would have indeed been a shocking story. But this just seems like an idealistic reporter is butthurt because she just found out at the age of 25 that most americans would rather watch piers morgan interview kim kardashian than watch an hour long documentary about something important. Boring story, but it doesn't say anywhere that cnn chose to run quotes the bahrain gov't gave instead of her story. Her only quote about involving cnn and the bahrain gov't was that they made her report what the bahrain gov't said even though she knew it was a lie. I can't imagine how you could even do a story without reporting the gov't's version. That would be like watching a 911 conspiracy documentary without mentioning what the american gov'ts version of the story said.