PDA

View Full Version : Southern whites troubled by Romney's wealth, religion

stu2002
09-11-2012, 11:30 AM
LYNCHBURG, Virginia (Reuters) - Sheryl Harris, a voluble 52-year-old with a Virginia drawl, voted twice for George W. Bush. Raised Baptist, she is convinced -- despite all evidence to the contrary -- that President Barack Obama, a practicing Christian, is Muslim.

So in this year's presidential election, will she support Mitt Romney? Not a chance.

"Romney's going to help the upper class," said Harris, who earns $28,000 a year as activities director of a Lynchburg senior center. "He doesn't know everyday people, except maybe the person who cleans his house."
She'll vote for Obama, she said: "At least he wasn't brought up filthy rich."

http://news.yahoo.com/southern-whites-troubled-romneys-wealth-religion-050312040.html

dbill27
09-11-2012, 11:35 AM
She thinks obama is a secret muslim, won't vote for romney because he was brought up rich. voted for bush twice, all signs point to her being an idiot.

erowe1
09-11-2012, 11:36 AM
If I'm right about my hunch that southern blacks are also troubled by Romney's wealth and religion, then what is the point of saying "Southern Whites" in the headline, rather than just "Southerners"?

They're just pushing racial buttons.

dbill27
09-11-2012, 11:39 AM
If I'm right about my hunch that southern blacks are also troubled by Romney's wealth and religion, then what is the point of saying "Southern Whites" in the headline, rather than just "Southerners"?

They're just pushing racial buttons.

Maybe but I think it has to do with obama already having shored up 90% of the black vote and everyone already knowing that.

stu2002
09-11-2012, 11:39 AM
She thinks obama is a secret muslim, won't vote for romney because he was brought up rich. voted for bush twice, all signs point to her being an idiot.

Ha--hope she stays home on Nov. 6

AuH20
09-11-2012, 11:41 AM
LYNCHBURG, Virginia (Reuters) - Sheryl Harris, a voluble 52-year-old with a Virginia drawl, voted twice for George W. Bush. Raised Baptist, she is convinced -- despite all evidence to the contrary -- that President Barack Obama, a practicing Christian, is Muslim.

So in this year's presidential election, will she support Mitt Romney? Not a chance.

"Romney's going to help the upper class," said Harris, who earns $28,000 a year as activities director of a Lynchburg senior center. "He doesn't know everyday people, except maybe the person who cleans his house."
She'll vote for Obama, she said: "At least he wasn't brought up filthy rich."http://news.yahoo.com/southern-white...050312040.html

Obama wasn't brought up by the filthy rich??????????????????????????? Are there any people in this country with functioning brain cells?? Who was Obama's primary political bundler???? Who was Obama's director of the White House NEC???? Who is Obama's Treasury secretary???

QuickZ06
09-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Guess these people never use the.......innnnttttterrrrrnettttt *redneck voice*

QuickZ06
09-11-2012, 12:05 PM
NEW YORK CITY????

RickyJ
09-11-2012, 12:18 PM

Does it matter? Either way we are getting a puppet for a president that does not answer to us.

cajuncocoa
09-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Apparently there are people right here on RPF who are troubled by his wealth (Rmoney?)

I don't care how much money he has, that has nothing to do with why I won't vote for him.

nobody's_hero
09-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Nor does his religion matter.

I hear excuses people use for supporting/not-supporting candidates these days and I wonder if the American people are even ready to have a debate on issues related to their own freedoms.

seyferjm
09-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Apparently there are people right here on RPF who are troubled by his wealth (Rmoney?)

I don't care how much money he has, that has nothing to do with why I won't vote for him.

Same.

opal
09-11-2012, 02:18 PM
*lives in the south.. is white.. couldn't care less about his personal wealth or religion*
I won't be voting for Mr - I'm glad you asked that question, but I prefer to answer this one

unklejman
09-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Guess these people never use the.......innnnttttterrrrrnettttt *redneck voice*

Don't you mean "innernayet".

Internet is one of those words that I'd rather not ever hear a person with a southern accent say again in my life.

pcosmar
09-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Title of this thread.

Southern whites troubled by Romney's wealth, religion

I'm a Yank,,I guess,,? but I lived down south. I would say Southern Folk are troubled by Romney.
I'm guessing that folks all over the place are troubled about both of them. They just have to decide which one is less troubling.

I'm not sure they even get a choice.

tangent4ronpaul
09-11-2012, 04:15 PM
I'm not sure they even get a choice.

They don't!

-t

Sola_Fide
09-11-2012, 04:17 PM
"Mormons don't believe like we believe," said Dianna McCullough, a retired factory worker, as she tossed salad in a Tree of Life Ministries soup kitchen. "Like the wives -- Romney's probably got more than one."

Why does it seem like they interview the least informed people around?

Zippyjuan
09-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Obama wasn't brought up by the filthy rich??????????????????????????? Are there any people in this country with functioning brain cells?? Who was Obama's primary political bundler???? Who was Obama's director of the White House NEC???? Who is Obama's Treasury secretary???

Obama was brought up filthy rich? Doesn't seem he had much money until after Law school.

thelaibon
09-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Paraphrasing George Carlin: "311 million people in America... half of them are dumber than us. And they all vote."

pcosmar
09-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Title of this thread.

Oh, I'm sure I could come up with some colorful sterotypes,,
Given the thread title.

alucard13mmfmj
09-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Most voters blow.

People are voting based on religion, race, skin color, ethnic group, gender, age. We are talking about the majority of people that are doing this.

Not voting on substance or record.

UpperDecker
09-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Most voters blow.

People are voting based on religion, race, skin color, ethnic group, gender, age. We are talking about the majority of people that are doing this.

Not voting on substance or record.

My new favorite is "Well, Romney is richer than Obama, so I will not vote for him because we have nothing in common." even though Obama is worth millions himself.

stu2002
09-12-2012, 06:10 AM
My new favorite is "Well, Romney is richer than Obama, so I will not vote for him because we have nothing in common." even though Obama is worth millions himself.

Bingo--many of my co-workers are voting for Obama since he is "middle class." :confused:

belian78
09-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Why does it seem like they interview the least informed people around?
Because they usually do. It fits with the narrative they are creating.

fisharmor
09-12-2012, 09:12 AM
I just want to add, as a Virginian, that we are not all mouth-breathing morons.
Thank you for your consideration.