PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul: No more 'bomb everybody'

jct74
09-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Rand Paul: No more 'bomb everybody'

By KEVIN ROBILLARD
9/10/12 9:37 AM EDT

Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul said Monday that Republicans can win in New England and on the West Coast if they’re willing to drop a “we need to bomb everybody tomorrow” foreign policy.

“I think one of the problems we face, as a Republican party, is that we’re behind the eight-ball to begin with,” Paul said on CBS’ “This Morning.” “We’re not winning the West Coast. We’re not winning New England. Maybe we need to embrace more Ron Paul Republicans, more libertarian Republicans. … It means people who are little bit less aggressive on foreign policy. They believe in defending the country, but they don’t believe we need to be everywhere all the time.”

There are only four GOP senators from the six New England states, and none from the three states on the Pacific coast.

“We should have a more defensive foreign policy, a less aggressive foreign policy,” Paul said. “I think that would go over much better in New England than the typical ‘we need to bomb everybody tomorrow’ policy you hear from some Republicans.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0912/80980.html

jct74
09-10-2012, 11:53 AM
I think ThinkProgress twisted his words a little bit... oh well.

GOP Senator: ‘Bomb Everybody Tomorrow’ Is ‘Typical’ Republican Policy

By Zack Beauchamp on Sep 10, 2012 at 11:13 am

Between calls from leading Republicans to get ready for war with Iran, remain in Afghanistan and Iraq, and intervening militarily in Syria, it’s no surprise that some on the left might label the GOP’s approach to foreign policy “bomb everyone tomorrow.” But when a Republican Senator says the same thing, it’s worth sitting up and taking notice. On Monday, Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) did exactly that.

When asked about Republican political failures on CBS This Morning, Paul argued that the dominant GOP approach to foreign policy was turning off voters that might otherwise be inclined to support the party. His choice of language in describing this phenomenon was unusually harsh:

We shouldn’t be everywhere all the time. We should have a more defensive foreign policy, a less aggressive foreign policy. I think that would go over much better in New England than the typical ‘we need to bomb everybody tomorrow’ policy you hear from some Republicans…there were many Republicans that said let’s stay [in Afghanistan] forever, there are still some in the Senate who want to for 100 years in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Watch it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29uo_M6BoMM

The party’s general tenor appears to be well reflected in its presidential nominee. Mitt Romney is surrounded by a coterie of hyper-hawkish advisers who have pushed the candidate’s positions in a more aggressive direction with respect to the use of military force. Two prominent scholars of international relations referred to Romney’s “core world view” as “a global assessment distorted by ideological excess, pledged to wield power in a way that will leave the nation weakened and isolated, and demonstrated a failure to appreciate the key linkages between strength at home and influence abroad.”

http://thinkprogress.org/security/2012/09/10/819641/rand-paul-gop-bomb-everybody/

specsaregood
09-10-2012, 11:55 AM
I think ThinkProgress twisted his words a little bit... oh well.

They certainly did; but even then it is surprisingly accurate.

HigherVision
09-10-2012, 12:13 PM
To me it's nice to see that Rand can't help but tell the truth, despite the whole compromise a little for pragmatism strategy. It shows that he's still a Paul.

July
09-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Yeah, plus I noticed National Review and Hot Air were also perplexed yesterday about Rand saying the party could use candidates who are maybe a bit more socially tolerant too. He's pushing buttons this week.

Bottom line, I think he's trying to impress upon republicans that the constitutionalist and libertarian vote is critical for the future, and possibly this election. He is also advocating for us to stay in the party.

AuH20
09-11-2012, 11:14 AM
At the Freep, approximately 40% of the comments actually show support for Rand.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2929030/posts

Constitutional Paulicy
09-11-2012, 11:32 AM
At the Freep, approximately 40% of the comments actually show support for Rand.[/url]

this sure doesn't reflect the opinion of the first comment in the youtube reply thread......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=29uo_M6BoMM

Rand Paul can't claim to be anti-war, then endorse a chicken-hawk like Mitt Romney, who says it was “tragic” to “end the war in Iraq", wants to invade Iran on day one if elected and vowed to escalate troop numbers in Afghanistan. Rand Paul is a liar, Kook, bigot, anti-science whack-job and gop religious fraud... like his father.

supermario21
09-11-2012, 03:57 PM
I don't know about you, but other than the token endorsement for Romney, I feel that Rand has used his newly found position in the mainstream of the GOP to bash conventional neocon/establishment Republican ideals more than praise them. It's clear Rand used it as a political tool and is using it to strengthen the liberty movement.

Brett85
09-11-2012, 04:17 PM

This is my favorite comment:

"Sounds to me like he’s turning into a conservative. Just in time, as Americans are about to forget what conservatism ever was."

Sola_Fide
09-11-2012, 04:30 PM

To: Revolting cat!

All we are saying, is give [total] war a chance. It’s worked every time it’s been tried. No nibbling around the edges. The longer we wait the more costly it will be. See WWII in history books.

12 posted on Monday, September 10, 2012 2:16:35 PM by luvbach1

Hard to believe that there are serious people like this in the world...

Brett85
09-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Hard to believe that there are serious people like this in the world...

I actually thought that was satire at first.

FSP-Rebel
09-11-2012, 07:38 PM
I don't know about you, but other than the token endorsement for Romney, I feel that Rand has used his newly found position in the mainstream of the GOP to bash conventional neocon/establishment Republican ideals more than praise them. It's clear Rand used it as a political tool and is using it to strengthen the liberty movement.
This is what I hope some of the Rand worriers start to figure out.

anaconda
09-11-2012, 08:20 PM
What about the full interview?????????

farreri
09-11-2012, 10:41 PM
I'd rather him said no more 'bomb anybody'.

ClydeCoulter
09-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Is this what Rand said “I think that would go over much better in New England than the typical ‘we need to bomb everybody tomorrow’ policy you hear from some Republicans.”?
Then maybe ThinkProgress didn't have to twist too much, just drop 5 words.