PDA

View Full Version : Rogue police detective accused of arresting innocent people, still on the job

libertyjam
09-09-2012, 04:11 PM
http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/19464064/rogus-police-detective-accused-of-arresting-innocent-people-still-on-the-job

LAWRENCEVILLE, GA (CBS ATLANTA) -

Think you're innocent until proven guilty? You might not be in the eyes of Lawrenceville Police Detective Tim Ashley.

One of his botched investigations landed an innocent man behind bars for nearly three months. It didn't matter that the facts didn't fit, facts anyone could have could have seen with an untrained eye.

Chief Investigative Reporter Wendy Saltzman is asking the Tough Question: Why isn't anything being done to stop him?

On September 16, 2011, an armed robbery was committed at a local Lawrenceville apartment complex. The two victims said the gunman had tattoos on his face, across his eyes, and they said he was called by the nickname "C-lo."

Enter 27-year old Carlos Orlando Fairley, or C-lo for short.

"My brother actually gave me that name," Fairley said.

He applied for a job with the TSA to help support his family.

"I got a letter back three weeks later and it said I was wanted for two counts of armed robbery in Gwinnett County," Fairley said.

"Are you thinking it couldn't have been me?" Saltzman asked.

"I knew it wasn't me," Carlos Fairley replied.

Saltzman met Carlos in his hometown of Gulfport, Mississippi. He said he wasn't even in Georgia at the time of the crime.

"This is where I reside now, Gulfport, Mississippi. This is my home," Carlos Fairley said.

When Fairley got the letter notifying he was wanted, he did the opposite of what a criminal would do. He picked up the phone, called the police, and told them exactly where he was.

The victims said C-lo had tattoos on both eyes and across the bridge of his nose. And they said he went to Dacula High School.

"I never went to Dacula High School," Carlos Fairly said. "I couldn't tell you where is it at if my life depended on it."

"If the detective had done his job from the beginning, we would have never come to this point of my son going to jail," said Juanita Fairley.

But Ashley didn't check those details. He had Carlos Fairley extradited to Georgia, where he would spent nearly two more months behind bars.

"I can honestly say I have never seen a less competent job of police investigation as by this detective," said Mark Bullman, a former cop and Carlos Fairley's attorney.

"Detective Ashley, in spite being offered all of this evidence, arrogantly told Carlos I don't care what you have to say, I know you are guilty. He couldn't care less that an innocent man sat in jail for two months," Bullman continued.

And this isn't the only time Detective Ashley has been accused of wrongfully imprisoning an innocent person.

"Why did they arrest you?" Saltzman asked Ann Jaipersaud.
MORE AT LINK

tod evans
09-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Get a rope!:mad:

Weston White
09-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Geez, sort of rings of the Norfolk Four.

tod evans
09-09-2012, 04:42 PM
This would have been an issue his family would have been left to lament while he languished in some cell were it not for the internet.

It's unlikely that even with a reporter on his side that the "dick" will ever see sanctions let alone actually be held accountable.

Things aren't "worse" per-se, but the status-quo is being dragged into the light of day...