PDA

View Full Version : Does Explosion in Food Stamp Spending Contribute to Higher Food Prices?

John F Kennedy III
09-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Does Explosion in Food Stamp Spending Contribute to Higher Food Prices?

Eric Blair
Infowars.com
Sept 9, 2012

It seems whenever the government injects money into a specific industry, prices climb quickly and a bubble of some sort ensues.

We had the real estate bubble which was aided by government guaranteeing the risky loans that banks made to unqualified buyers. Likewise, we’re still in the midst of an unprecedented college bubble which is inflating costs far beyond the official rate of inflation due to the government’s monopoly and loose requirements on student loans. And, predictably, the mandates of the Affordable Care Act (sic) are already driving up healthcare costs even faster than quasi-monopolies were afforded before the law passed.

This government spending has, for all intents and purposes, created a false demand that would not have naturally existed in the marketplace. Could the same thing now be happening to food prices due to an infusion of government money?

As food prices are already skyrocketing from the pressures of record droughts, biofuel mandates, commodity speculation, and good old fashioned currency debasement, there is certainly enough blame to go around. But should government spending on food stamps be added to this list of culprits?

A new report from last week showed food stamps hit another record of 46.7 million recipients in June, an increase of 173,000 from the previous month. That’s nearly 1 in 7 Americans now dependent on government food aid.

At an average monthly cost of $134 per recipient, that’s $6.26 BILLION injected into retail food stores every month. Or roughly $75 billion per year.

Total supermarket sales in 2011 was $584.369 billion. Using this number as a gauge, current food stamp use represents nearly 13% of all retail food sales.

That’s not exactly a government monopoly like they have on student loans or mortgage guarantees, but it’s certainly enough to contribute to price increases. And if we were to add in other welfare programs and farm subsidies, the percentage of food sales with government handouts is likely much higher.

Additionally, since the U.S. government borrows 54 cents of every dollar it spends, every expense adds to the weakening purchasing power of the U.S. Dollar, putting further pressure on the cost of essentials like food and energy.

It is not a question of whether or not food stamps are the right thing to spend money on, especially during such tough financial times and rapidly rising food prices.

But it should be noted that food stamp costs now exceed what thePentagon spends each month on the war in Afghanistan.

Although government spending still represents a relatively small percentage of retail food sales, they appear to be striving for a monopoly in regards to food charity with the criminalizing of feeding the poor and homeless happening all around the nation.

This is how they trap Americans into dependence on their system. By eliminating alternatives to charity, much like they’ve eliminated alternatives to student loans or health care services, they can better dictate the rules to the slaves such as drug testing welfare recipients.

What’s more, by eliminating the competition, they’re able to funnel the proceeds into their crony corporations. By the way, JP Morgan runs and gets a cut of the food stamp program. But I digress.

Clearly, struggling Americans can hardly be blamed for their predicament since they had nothing to do with the offshoring of jobs, the reckless deeds of Wall Street, the unforgivable war costs, or high food prices that are devastating the U.S. economy.

But we would be remiss to not ask if government spending was ultimately doing more harm than good.

original article here:
http://www.infowars.com/does-explosion-in-food-stamp-spending-contribute-to-higher-food-prices/

acptulsa
09-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Of course. It creates a whole batch of 'food money' and makes the pool of 'food money' even bigger than the massive monetary base of the FRN. So, there may be QE 'inflation' rampant everywhere, but it's even more rampant at the grocery store because there are two massive pools of funny money you can use there, not just one.

tod evans
09-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Look at the whole picture..........Subsidies for farmers, all the government "jobs" managing farmers and consumers...

There's more to it than food-stamps.......

And every one of the people involved will vote to continue with their free money..

acptulsa
09-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Look at the whole picture..........Subsidies for farmers, all the government "jobs" managing farmers and consumers...

That's true. But you have to look at it all carefully to see what the effect is.

Pay not to grow--reduce supply--prices rise.

Federalized corporatism of the food processing industry through increased regulation--higher production costs across the board--prices rise.

They don't even accidentally do something that might net us a break, do they..?

Brian4Liberty
09-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Great article!

tod evans
09-09-2012, 02:43 PM
I'm not in touch with anybody who uses any of these programs so I have no first hand knowledge..

I do know given the year and crop some farmers are paid not to produce while others are given "incentives" to produce certain crops...

In the stock market I think such behavior is illegal.....something about gaming the system.

Cutting federal funding to everything not proscribed in the constitution would stop all the shenanigans...

Zippyjuan
09-09-2012, 05:26 PM
At an average monthly cost of $134 per recipient, that’s $6.26 BILLION injected into retail food stores every month. Or roughly $75 billion per year.

Total supermarket sales in 2011 was $584.369 billion. Using this number as a gauge, current food stamp use represents nearly 13% of all retail food sales.

Of course, not all supermarket sales are food- that includes things like paper towels, deoderant, razor blades, vitamines, etc.

Then you have non- grocery stores which sell food like Walmart or Target or the corner gas station.

As for it effecting the demand for food- that would be to assume that the people on food stamps would not be buying any food without the stamps. The real effect would be to free up money which would have gone to food purchases into other things. The demand for them would be higher than it would be in the absence of a food stamp program. The percent it actually increases total food sales will be small.

Working Poor
09-09-2012, 05:31 PM
The real bad part of this is big corpo lobbying the government to knock out Mom and Pop while supporting big agra

acptulsa
09-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Of course, not all supermarket sales are food- that includes things like paper towels, deoderant, razor blades, vitamines, etc.

Then you have non- grocery stores which sell food like Walmart or Target or the corner gas station.

Gotta love it. We'll quote this hard and fast stat to sound authoritative, and if someone poinrs out that not all grocery store orders are food, we'll point out that not all food comes from grocery stores and argue that it evens out. Fine, but what happened to hard and fast authority numbers?

Never had any in the first place, did they? But they sure made it sound like they did...

ShaneEnochs
09-09-2012, 05:39 PM
With three people in my family, we get something like $380 in food stamps each month. We only use something like $130 of it. We had been using the rest to buy food for homeless shelters and food banks, but the folks that we brought the food to seemed like they got irritated every time they saw us so we just let the money go back into the system.

Zippyjuan
09-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Thanks. I added more info while you were getting all excited by my astoundingly astute verbage I entertained you with. I started to say something else but changed my mind.

awake
09-09-2012, 05:46 PM
If its being funded by newly printed money.

acptulsa
09-09-2012, 05:56 PM
If its being funded by newly printed money.

Not only that, but the Fed Chairman isn't even limiting the quantities of it. Obama sez give food stamps to just about everyone. That and Monsanto CEOs make better Secretaries of Agriculture... :rolleyes:

oyarde
09-09-2012, 10:42 PM
There are significant numbers of people in the country who are buying more and more expensive items with the food stamps than would otherwise be purchased in total , and it is being added to the debt .

HOLLYWOOD
09-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Only leads to an explosion in Obesity, eating that shit processed food with Hydrogenated Everything.

Lookout... the American "Affordable Care Act" just doubled in cost.

Carehn
09-09-2012, 10:49 PM
fed or no fed. when funds are pumped into an industry that will drive up demand and thus cost. All other side effects are so hard to predict because of how fast the market moves. But one thing we do know is that costs of some food products will be higher then a free marked would have otherwise set.

John F Kennedy III
09-12-2012, 03:53 PM
With three people in my family, we get something like $380 in food stamps each month. We only use something like $130 of it. We had been using the rest to buy food for homeless shelters and food banks, but the folks that we brought the food to seemed like they got irritated every time they saw us so we just let the money go back into the system.

How do you manage that? If you don't mind me asking.

belian78
09-12-2012, 04:34 PM
My family is a family of 4, and I think (you'd have to ask my gf for a definitive number) we only spend around $150/mo on groceries. It's just that we buy veggies in bulk and then buy chicken/turkey/pork to freeze and then we cook whole meals everyday. Rarely do we eat anything out of a box, unless it's augratin potatoes or something of the like.

RonPaulFanInGA
09-12-2012, 08:42 PM
http://0.tqn.com/d/urbanlegends/1/0/2/6/1/angeli-foods-receipt.jpg

presence
09-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Handicapped sextuplets and a set of conjoined twins celebrating a common birthday sugar free?

"life is full of choices" is classic

Carson
09-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Any time the government spends money it doesn't have, the price on everything rises through the process of inflation.

rprprs
09-13-2012, 08:53 AM
Handicapped sextuplets and a set of conjoined twins celebrating a common birthday sugar free?

"life is full of choices" is classic

It took me a while but, boy, was that funny! Props.

ShaneEnochs
09-13-2012, 10:06 AM

We buy a lot of those SmartOnes meals and things like that. They run between $0.99 and $1.99, so they're not very expensive. We also eat a lot of cereal and waffles and things which are cheap, but can be eaten multiple times.

Zippyjuan
09-13-2012, 10:39 AM
but can be eaten multiple times.

Eew. Eating it and then eating it again? After you , um, you know.....

John F Kennedy III
09-13-2012, 12:40 PM
We buy a lot of those SmartOnes meals and things like that. They run between $0.99 and $1.99, so they're not very expensive. We also eat a lot of cereal and waffles and things which are cheap, but can be eaten multiple times.

Thanks. I might get around to trying this. I usually try to average $2.50 per meal, but this is even cheaper.

Zippyjuan
09-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Cheap but not that nutritious.