PDA

View Full Version : Cop Hits Dog With Patrol Car, Beats It To Death With Baton & Stomps Its Brains Out

green73
09-09-2012, 09:51 AM
In November of last year, we covered a story where a Virginia police officer euthanized a cat which was hit by a car by beating it to death with a night stick. The officer was eventually charged with animal cruelty, though another judge reversed the decision on appeal. Well, another such case has just happened, this time in Arizona, and the details are absolutely horrific.

The Arizona Daily Sun reports:

A Flagstaff police officer repeatedly struck an injured Sunnyside dog with a baton and stomped its head with his boot, according to an eyewitness who watched the incident at about 2:30 a.m. on August 19.

cont.
http://informationliberation.com/?id=40865

phill4paul
09-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Sure, and he'd be just as euphoric to do the same to a human if he knew no one was watching.

Anti Federalist
09-09-2012, 10:00 AM
What. The. Actual. Fuck?

Eyewitness: Officer used baton, boot on injured dog

August 28, 2012 4:00 pm • By ERIC BETZ Sun staff reporter

http://azdailysun.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/section/eyewitness-officer-used-baton-boot-on-injured-dog/article_607b82ee-f160-11e1-9215-001a4bcf887a.html

A Flagstaff police officer repeatedly struck an injured Sunnyside dog with a baton and stomped its head with his boot, according to an eyewitness who watched the incident at about 2:30 a.m. on August 19.

Police officials say an officer hit the loose dog with his patrol car when the animal darted out from behind a parked vehicle. However, the methods that the officer’s supervisor used to euthanize the dog have since come under scrutiny, triggering parallel criminal and internal affairs investigations.

Police Chief Kevin Treadway confirmed that Corporal John Tewes had been placed on administrative leave the day after the incident after another police supervisor brought the incident to light.

The Sunnyside resident, who has been interviewed by police, asked to remain anonymous to avoid the public attention that would arise from being identified. She says she watched the entire incident from her window as the injured dog was spotlighted in the street.

The woman told the Daily Sun that she and her husband heard their own dogs howling at about 2:30 a.m. on Sunday, Aug. 19, and saw flashing lights outside.

Her husband went outside and saw their neighbor’s dog had been hit by a car and was sprawled out in the street. The witness said the dog couldn’t walk and was bleeding from its eyes and nose.

When the husband tried to tell the officer that the dog belonged to his neighbor and pointed to the home, he was told to go back inside.

“OK, sir. We’ll take care of it. Just go back to your house,” the police told her husband, according to the witness

(Get the fuck back inside Mundane, or do YOU want some of this too? - Officer Friendly.)

Police officials told the Daily Sun the following Friday, Aug. 24, that they were unaware who owned the dog.

The woman said that the officer who hit the dog waited in the street with the animal for about 10 minutes until the second officer, later confirmed as Cpl. Tewes, showed up on scene.

The pair waited for another 10 to 15 minutes before the officers apparently attempted to euthanize the dog without using a firearm.

Police officials have said the officers did not want to use their firearms for public safety reasons.

(OMFG - LOL - AF)

The woman said she watched the supervisor extend his baton and then strike the dog in the head. She says she had to turn her head and look away, but continued to hear the thumping as the metal club impacted its skull.

“I saw him extend the baton and he raised it up and he struck the dog in the forehead,” the witness said.

“You could just hear the dog and then the dog got quiet,” she added. The dog started yelping again when the officer returned several minutes later and poked at it with the baton, she says.

More time went by and the officer placed his boot on the dog’s head and stood on it, then stomped down, apparently attempting to crush its skull.

The officer waited several more moments and then hit it with a baton, according to the witness.

“I turned my head and said, ‘Oh my god, I can’t believe he just did that,” the witness said. “I don’t know what he was thinking.”

Eventually, the witness said she watched the officer grab the dog by a leg and drag it to the patrol car.

The couple assumed that the police department would have notified the dog owners and were nervous to talk to them about it all last week.

When the witness saw the story in the Daily Sun on Saturday, she approached police her neighbors.

The dog owner told the witness that she and her family spent all week trying to find their dog and eventually were asked to identify its body at the Coconino Humane Association. A police investigator came and told them what happened to their dog on Friday.

Police officials declined to confirm any details of the witness’ account, citing the ongoing investigation.

Soon after the investigations were launched, police officials learned that Tewes might have also separately made threats against his ex-wife. The Coconino County Sheriff’s Office is now investigating potential criminal charges for animal abuse and making threats.

Police officials told the Daily Sun last week that they would not elaborate on how the animal was killed, other than that a firearm was not used.

“This case is under both an administrative and criminal investigation,” Treadway said when asked today about the witness’ account. “A police officer or any other member of this community is entitled to due process and I’m prohibited by law from releasing information while this investigation is under way.”

However, Treadway says he’s personally been in contact with the dog owners and expressed the police department’s condolences.

“As the chief I want to assure the community that we are taking this situation very seriously and I will commit to … the community that once this investigation is complete we will share the entire investigation,” Treadway said.

tod evans
09-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Get a rope!:mad:

opal
09-09-2012, 10:58 AM
makes me sick inside knowing there are people that can do anything like this.

pcosmar
09-09-2012, 11:04 AM
makes me sick inside knowing there are people that can do anything like this.

That and worse.
Prepare yourself,, worse is coming.

:(

AGRP
09-09-2012, 11:55 AM
People who abuse animals usually go on to abuse people.

afmatt
09-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Okay - if the dog was critically injured I could understand putting it out of it's misery - but seriously? BEATING/STOMPING it to death?

And "public safety" as the reason for not shooting the dog? Please - I had to put down one of my dogs in a similar circumstance when my dad wasn't home back when I was a kid. If a 13 year old can load a pistol and shoot his best friend why in the flying fuck can't our "well trained" officers simply draw their service weapon and do the same?

Arghhhhhhhhhh... Idiots.

presence
09-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Since when did euthenizing injured dogs fall under the authority of the police?

Take the pet...
to a vet?

phill4paul
09-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Okay - if the dog was critically injured I could understand putting it out of it's misery - but seriously? BEATING/STOMPING it to death?

And "public safety" as the reason for not shooting the dog? Please - I had to put down one of my dogs in a similar circumstance when my dad wasn't home back when I was a kid. If a 13 year old can load a pistol and shoot his best friend why in the flying fuck can't our "well trained" officers simply draw their service weapon and do the same?

Arghhhhhhhhhh... Idiots.

Because that would have awoken the entire neighborhood. Then they would have had to explain what had happened and why they did what they did.

asurfaholic
09-09-2012, 12:16 PM

Arghhhhhhhhhh... Idiots.

Is it too hard to call animal control these days?

Lucille
09-09-2012, 12:27 PM
I live in FLG.

http://azdailysun.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/officer-in-dog-death-no-other-options/article_d8c11c78-28ad-557f-9047-4771f9ef8590.html

Therefore, contending he wasn't told during training of any alternatives, Flagstaff police officer bludgeoned, stomped and strangled a dog to death.

Now, it's up to the Navajo County Attorney to decide if any criminal charges apply in the matter involving Cpl. John Tewes.
[...]
Tewes did not follow Flagstaff Police Department policy, which allows for a dog to be killed with either a sidearm or a shotgun. All six of the other police officers and supervisors interviewed in the report indicated that Flagstaff Police Department policy is to kill a mortally-wounded animal with either a sidearm or a shotgun.

Five of the six mentioned that either the city's animal control officer or the Humane Association and Canyon Pet Hospital, both of which have 24-hour support, could be contacted to euthanize a dog.
[...]
Tewes regularly kills coyotes on hunting trips by clubbing them after they have been shot, and he expected it would be a quick death, he said in an interview with detectives. Both he and the officer who hit the dog were shocked when it didn't die.

"Tewes stated that he was thinking that he could not believe the dog wasn't dead yet and it was the most bizarre thing," the sheriff's office report stated.

He told investigators he didn't ask other officers for advice about other methods because he thought he knew how to do it.

The guy kills coyotes all the time by clubbing them to death! I guess that's what pigs get for thinking.

He also tried to strangle it to death. That poor dog suffered so much. I am just sick.

The supervisor struck Blue three or four times with the baton and knocked the dog unconscious. They then noticed Blue was still breathing, and Tewes again started hitting him with the baton until it looked like Blue was dead, the report stated.

The officers told investigators they put gloves on and moved the dog off the street next to a trash can before noticing its chest was still moving up and down. Tewes again hit the dog with the baton. It still would not die.

The first officer said that was when Tewes pulled out his hobble -- a steel-cable restraining device -- and tried to strangle the dog for several minutes. The dog was still alive, so the pair repositioned the hobble and again strangled the dog until it was dead.

Oh look. He has issues with the ex.

Tewes is also facing potential charges of making threats against his ex-wife.

The corporal's ex-wife had been awarded a restraining order against him last week after she told a Coconino County Superior Court judge he was driving by her house too often and was a threat to her children because of the way he treated animals, according to Tewes' attorney. She cited the animal cruelty allegation as her reasoning.

She also claimed that a Sheriff's office official told her they were investigating threatening comments he made about her.

presence
09-09-2012, 12:27 PM

Animal control is for mundanes. That would be a waste of officer time. Clearly bullets are becoming a waste of money.

youngbuck
09-09-2012, 12:37 PM
We've got some psychopathic swine on the loose...

presence
09-09-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm having trouble coming up with a good wiki on how to properly club a dog to death. Any links?

jonhowe
09-09-2012, 12:54 PM
I just don't get it.

CaptainAmerica
09-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Flagstaff has restaurants and shops that permit dogs to enter. Flagstaff is a very beautiful small town in Arizona and might very well be the most dog friendly town I've ever been to, and this is just out of the blue and strange for a dog to get beat to death like that....just proves that cops increase violence in any given region. Im sure that the town is going to be pissed off by this

Iptay
09-09-2012, 01:07 PM
People who abuse animals usually go on to abuse people.
This is very true.

mport1
09-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Why not just shoot it? I thought that was standard procedure when "police" encounter dogs.

Anti Federalist
09-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Why not just shoot it? I thought that was standard procedure when "police" encounter dogs.

Eh, not when you're bored and tired at 0300 and pissed off at the ol' lady.

Time for a little "rage work".

"Just blowing off some steam" in a high stress job.

Wasn't that the excuse used before...

Philhelm
09-09-2012, 03:05 PM
I bet the cops blew each other in the police locker room afterward.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
09-09-2012, 03:09 PM

Or a vet? Animal hospital? Whatever? This is just so sickening. Not to mention, wtf does a cop know regarding what is a fatal injury to a dog and what is not. It sounds like it took quite a bit of effort to kill it. :mad: :mad: :mad:

FSP-Rebel
09-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Where are all the animal rights activists when there is such a plethora of police abusing dogs stories epidemic?

presence
09-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Where are all the animal rights activists when there is such a plethora of police abusing dogs stories epidemic?

unaware

presence
09-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Still no good links on proper dog bludgeoning protocol?

Anti Federalist
09-09-2012, 03:45 PM

Like the MADD people, you'll find that many of the "animal rights" people are closet authoritarians.

Thus, cops are friends and not likely to be criticized.

alucard13mmfmj
09-09-2012, 06:22 PM
derp

daviddee
09-09-2012, 06:37 PM

daviddee
09-09-2012, 06:40 PM

daviddee
09-09-2012, 06:43 PM

daviddee
09-09-2012, 06:46 PM

DavidK
09-09-2012, 08:09 PM
There's a place for people like that in my religion. Sickening story.

MelissaCato
09-09-2012, 08:20 PM
//

MelissaCato
09-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Where are all the animal rights activists when there is such a plethora of police abusing dogs stories epidemic?They in Sudan saving Tigers from the people, because the Tigers keep eating the people's kids.

Bruno
09-09-2012, 08:35 PM
There's a place for people like that in my religion. Sickening story.

I would rather we don't rely on that. Justice on earth where we can be sure it has been done.

AGRP
09-10-2012, 01:09 AM
Im curious as to what kind of conversations these cops have with their wives/families.

What did you do at work today honey? Bashed a dogs skull with my nightstick and crushed it with my foot. Thats nice honey.

amadeus8888
09-10-2012, 01:18 AM
Definitely too many steroids. We need to start drug testing our servants to make sure one of these roid-rage-filled cops doesn't do this to another little kid.

KingNothing
09-10-2012, 06:31 AM
Like the MADD people, you'll find that many of the "animal rights" people are closet authoritarians.

Thus, cops are friends and not likely to be criticized.

Exactly right. You better believe that if these dogs were being shot and stomped by people not wearing Halloween costumes and carrying badges, groups would be demanding that government Do Something to curb the violence against defenseless animals.

KingNothing
09-10-2012, 06:33 AM
Im curious as to what kind of conversations these cops have with their wives/families.

What did you do at work today honey? Bashed a dogs skull with my nightstick and crushed it with my foot. Thats nice honey.

"I TOLD YOU THAT I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT MY DAY, HONEY! *PUNCH* DON'T *PUNCH* MAKE *PUNCH* ME *PUNCH* TELL *PUNCH* YOU *PUNCH* AGAIN! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE OUT THERE! THEY'RE ALL SAVAGES!"

KingNothing
09-10-2012, 06:34 AM
I would rather we don't rely on that. Justice on earth where we can be sure it has been done.

Imagine an America where the rule of law also applies to the people asked to enforce it. Wouldn't that be an amazing place?

pcosmar
09-10-2012, 07:20 AM
Imagine an America where the rule of law also applies to the people asked to enforce it. Wouldn't that be an amazing place?

I would rather imagine an America without Authoritarianism, and without Enforcers of Authoritarianism.

http://www.constitution.org/lrev/roots/cops.htm

daviddee
09-10-2012, 08:59 PM

GARNET
09-10-2012, 09:21 PM
I hope he loses his job over this and at the very least must apologize to the owners and the community for being so unfit for the job. John Tewes eh? and he was the other officer's supervisor???? well whatever the other officer's name is he is complicit in animal cruelty for not standing up to his supervisor. Standing up in the face of criminal action.. isn't that one of their responsibilities? Obviously he isn't officer material either because he's a coward. The owners should file a civil suit for damages and psychological stress.

Captain Shays
09-13-2012, 06:00 PM
And let that be a lesson to you dog. That will teach you to run out in front of my car.

Vessol
09-13-2012, 08:40 PM
I thought that there was a time that the police apologetics would fail and could not defends a cops actions. I thought that this might be one of those cases, I thought wrong.

From the comments:

""animal cruelty" is leaving your dog off leash or not caring enough to leave it locked up safely in your yard, "animal cruelty" is letting it run around at 2:30 am in a panicked state where it could attack anyone it encounters. Compassion was putting this animal out of its misery. Honor, for doing their job well and protecting the rest of us is what we should be giving to these officers
I have two dogs that I love and cherish with all my heart. I care enough about them that I take care of them"

Lucille
10-11-2012, 12:43 PM
I'm sure you're all as shocked as I am.

No charges for Flagstaff officer in hurt dog death
http://azdailysun.com/news/state-and-regional/no-charges-for-flagstaff-officer-in-hurt-dog-death/article_e4cf7efc-b4cf-5409-b146-fbff31e62b43.html

A Flagstaff police officer who used his baton, boot and a cable to kill an injured dog after a fellow officer accidentally hit the animal with his car in August will not face criminal charges, according to the Navajo County Attorney's Office.

Deputy Navajo County Attorney Michael Tunink said in a letter to police this week that there was insufficient evidence to pursue a case against Cpl. John Tewes. the Arizona Daily Sun reported (http://bit.ly/ULOit7).

"This includes, but is not limited to, the fact that there is insufficient evidence of a culpable mental state for prosecution," Michael Tunink wrote in a Tuesday letter. "If additional evidence is submitted, I will, of course, review my decision at that time."

Tewes was called after another officer hit a loose dog with his car Aug. 19. Tewes and the other officer decided the dog needed to be euthanized, but Tewes was concerned about using his gun in the neighborhood.

According to a Coconino County sheriff's investigative report, Tewes repeatedly tried to bludgeon the dog to death, but it didn't die. He then tried to jump on the dog's head and cave in its skull, but that also didn't kill the animal. Eventually, after some 20 to 30 minutes of trying to kill the dog, he used a hobble, which is like a metal cable, to try to strangle the dog. It took several tries before the dog died.

"Tewes stated that he was thinking that he could not believe the dog wasn't dead yet, and it was the most bizarre thing," the sheriff's office report stated.

Tewes told investigators he regularly clubbed animals to end their suffering while he was hunting, and he thought he would be able to kill the dog quickly with his baton. He told investigators he didn't ask other officers for advice about other methods because he thought he knew how to do it.

The dog's body was left between two vehicles behind the police station and later stored in a freezer at the Humane Association. The owners didn't find out what had happened until five days later, the newspaper reported.

Flagstaff police Chief Kevin Treadway said Tewes violated police policies, and an internal investigation is ongoing.

Treadway said it was already departmental protocol for officers to contact either the animal control officer or the Humane Association shelter's 24-hour animal ambulance to deal with injured animals. But that had not been formalized in policy.

The department did have a policy to euthanize with either a sidearm or shotgun, depending on the animal. Additionally, Treadway said officers are required to inform the animal owner.

Within a week of the incident, the department had implemented a policy specifically addressing domesticated animals, and every officer was trained on the proper way to deal with such a situation.

"I have personally apologized to the dog owner for what occurred in this particular case, and I want the community to know that I understand their concerns regarding Corporal Tewes' actions in this case and have taken measures to make sure this never happens again," Treadway said.

Why am I afraid that we'll be seeing an increase in puppycide here now due to the new "policy specifically addressing domesticated animals?"

Lucille
10-27-2012, 12:06 PM
http://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/ClaireWolfe/2012/10/25/thursday-links-10/

The Flagstaff, AZ, cop who committed one of the most prolonged and barbaric puppycides has resigned (http://www.examiner.com/article/arizona-officer-who-bludgeoned-dog-to-death-resigns-from-force).

On Monday, the Flagstaff Police announced that the officer, Cpl John Tewes, resigned on Friday following the August 18 incident. Tewes stated that he was "pursuing further opportunities."
[...]
Though Tewes was not found guilty of criminal misconduct, an internal investigation was underway through the Flagstaff Police Department.

According to the Department, the determination of final action was almost complete when Cpl. Tewes tendered his resignation.

I guess he'll have to settle for clubbing coyotes to death.