PDA

View Full Version : USA Today Ad: "Buy the stack...and leave a note: 'free USA today from RP supporter'"

TechnoGuyRob
11-19-2007, 03:59 AM
Just saw this post on the DailyPaul forums:

[Go to a place that sells USA Todays, ] buy the stack, leave them in the rack, tell the store clerk and leave a note that says "Free papers, courtesy of a dedicated Ron Paul supporter!

jake
11-19-2007, 04:01 AM
really nice idea. the store will love it too :)

happyphilter
11-19-2007, 04:02 AM
Good idea!
How much would a stack cost, this would be great.

Man from La Mancha
11-19-2007, 04:05 AM
That idea would work with any paper with Ron info stuck in each paper any day of the week.

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/3471/001bz2.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG2PUZoukfA)..http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9435/blackwsmallyh7.gif (teaparty07.com)..http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/8947/brighton7gs5.gif (teaparty07.com)..copy,paste,linked to teaparty07.com, last 2, only 1 million people at $100

jake
11-19-2007, 04:05 AM
slip a slimjim inside each you buy too

TechnoGuyRob
11-19-2007, 04:06 AM
Good idea!
How much would a stack cost, this would be great.

They're $0.75, so say a stack of 40 would be $30. Not that bad.

Man from La Mancha
11-19-2007, 04:08 AM
For that matter, when no one is looking put Ron info in each paper. Or slip the owner, paper boy or delivery driver $bucks to let you insert some info.

Ozwest
11-19-2007, 04:22 AM
Lateral thinking personified!

rfbz
11-19-2007, 05:32 AM
Yeah, and when you leave, they'll start selling them :P

syborius
11-19-2007, 05:51 AM
Yeah, and when you leave, they'll start selling them :P

haha, exactly, bad idea in my humble opinion.

Ron LOL
11-19-2007, 06:29 AM
Leaving them with a note is maybe not the best idea, but if you live in a pretty busy area, downtown or something, it would be pretty cool to buy up the stack and just hand them out for free. I'm sure people would take a copy of USA Today.

ladyliberty
11-19-2007, 06:57 AM
EXTRA EXTRA! Read all about it!!!

My first job was delivering papers and selling off my extras! :D

MozoVote
11-19-2007, 07:02 AM
Leaving them with a note is maybe not the best idea, but if you live in a pretty busy area, downtown or something, it would be pretty cool to buy up the stack and just hand them out for free. I'm sure people would take a copy of USA Today.

In a Ron Paul shirt, of course! Heck, just buy the papers and hand them out, anywhere.

Second_Tier_My_Ass
11-19-2007, 07:04 AM
or you could buy the stack and leave them sitting on top, free for anyone to come along and pick one up. or buy the stack and leave them lying around in busy, public places. leave them on seats in the subway systems, coffee shops, etc. there's no reason why a person couldn't save that ad to their computer, print off a couple dozen copies, and repeat this process on a daily basis.

Libertarian
11-19-2007, 07:05 AM
slip a slimjim inside each you buy too

ABSOLUTELY! Get yer slim jims with express shipping folks! ;)

http://www.ronpaul2008store.com/servlet/Categories?category=Slim+Jims

VoteRonPaul2008
11-19-2007, 07:05 AM
but isn't the point of the add, for other people to see it? we are already Paul supporters, i think we should leave it for a week then go buy them?

JMO
11-19-2007, 09:11 AM
I think it's a bad idea.

people that buy the paper want to read the paper. People that get it for free are less likely to read the whole paper and might even just take it because its free. you might see bums taking the paper to use as a bench warmer.

At the end of the day if there is papers still left then I agree buy all the papers and give them away free.

matthylland
11-19-2007, 09:16 AM
In my opinion, the best thing to do it to "buy" one paper, so you can open the door and put a slimjim in each paper. Then close it up, without taking a paper.
I want a paper to look at the ad, but it is more important for others to get it.

come back at 3pm and if there are papers left i will buy them and then promote it more.

TechnoGuyRob
11-19-2007, 09:25 AM
I think it's a bad idea.

people that buy the paper want to read the paper. People that get it for free are less likely to read the whole paper and might even just take it because its free. you might see bums taking the paper to use as a bench warmer.

At the end of the day if there is papers still left then I agree buy all the papers and give them away free.

Yeah, I thought of that later on...

PeacePlan
11-19-2007, 09:48 AM
Can we pre order this so USA Today will know of the increased demand? I know I want at least 2 copies and maybe up to 5 and if we all go out and buy the copies off the news stands there will not be many for the public to read and see.

Is there a pre - order phone number to call?

JMann
11-19-2007, 09:54 AM
What a great day for an ad when people will be stuck in airports for hours. In hindsight it may of been a good idea for a bullet point on Paul's on airport security.

MsDoodahs
11-19-2007, 09:55 AM
That idea would work with any paper with Ron info stuck in each paper any day of the week.

Hey, that's a really good idea!

:D

tonyr1988
11-19-2007, 09:58 AM
In my opinion, the best thing to do it to "buy" one paper, so you can open the door and put a slimjim in each paper. Then close it up, without taking a paper.
I want a paper to look at the ad, but it is more important for others to get it.

come back at 3pm and if there are papers left i will buy them and then promote it more.

That's an awesome idea, assuming that it doesn't break any laws (I'm sure USA Today owns those, so it's up to them, but they couldn't catch you even if they tried).

Most people would assume that it was just an insert in the paper. That would bring amazing publicity for Paul.

Original_Intent
11-19-2007, 10:03 AM

I think the suggestion of essentially inserting our own advertising in papers like this is nto a tactic that reflects well on the campaign. My opinion.

I think buying an extra copy and putting it in your breakroom at work or in other busy places like fast food joints that sometimes have a free newspaper for customers to look at would be effective

tremendoustie
11-19-2007, 10:17 AM
I think the suggestion of essentially inserting our own advertising in papers like this is nto a tactic that reflects well on the campaign. My opinion.

I think buying an extra copy and putting it in your breakroom at work or in other busy places like fast food joints that sometimes have a free newspaper for customers to look at would be effective

I say buy a bunch, insert slim jims, and hand them out for free personally with a Ron Paul T-shirt on, saying "check out the ad on page X". I'd say that would be extremely effective -- a higher percentage of people would actually see the ad, they'd have the positive association of a free newspaper with it, and they'd get personal contact which is always key. Just my 2c.

jpinkerton
11-19-2007, 10:22 AM
I think it's a bad idea.

I like this idea. I will check a few local stores at the end of the day (11PM or so I get off work) and see if there are any left, if there are I will buy them.

We should all consider this as a way to thank USA Today for the cooperation with us!

Godbag
11-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Excuse me for being ignorant but i never got how the coin-fed paper dispenser on the sidewalk works... what stops somebody from taking the entire stack by paying for one? (we dont have them in Australia)

ps. instead of saying "check out the ad on page x", just say "check out page X"(or even writing "PgX" on the front page of each paper before handing them out), their curiosity might actually make them read the whole ad, whereas saying its an ad will put people off... i cant speak for everyone, but i never look the ads in a newspaper(unless its for lingerie)...

RevolutionSD
11-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Good idea. Make sure to also put a Ron Paul 2008 lapel sticker on all the newspaper dispensers you see!

RevolutionSD
11-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Excuse me for being ignorant but i never got how the coin-fed paper dispenser on the sidewalk works... what stops somebody from taking the entire stack by paying for one? (we dont have them in Australia)

ps. instead of saying "check out the ad on page x", just say "check out page X", their curiosity might actually make them read the whole ad, whereas saying its an ad will put people off... i cant speak for everybody, but i never look the ads in a newspaper(unless its for lingerie)...

It's an honor policy. Most people don't want more than 1 newspaper. 99.9% of the time it works and people just take 1. It's sort of a libertarian thing if you think about it!