Lord Xar
11-19-2007, 02:07 AM
Listen.

This is a PRIME yield voting block.

END the war
END the federal income tax
END the war on Drugs
Equality and true liberty.

Ron Paul's message will resonate the most with this group than any other candidate. Dem or Repub.

We need to target the larget hiphop youtubes, small hiphop youtubes, forums and message boards, or more contemporary music forums.

I will tell you something, a HUGE swath of Black Americans are actually very open to communication and expression. They just want to be dealt with on an even level or real level.

A GREAT example is that youtube of the meetup member of that black female talking sense.

Think how much more economically vialble and real chance the black community would get with NO taxes and a end to the war on drugs that treats those with drug addictions as criminals rather than those needing medical help. Also, the concept of individuality.

Part of what I am saying is just to get the "word out" in that demograhpic.

Corydoras
11-19-2007, 02:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ji_Ft23BDw

I like this video.

Voice
11-19-2007, 02:10 AM
"Lets emphasize the anti-drug war message on hip-hop forums"

You, sir, are the picture of ignorance.

Eric23
11-19-2007, 02:12 AM
This may be a shocker to you, but not all blacks do drugs.

Lord Xar
11-19-2007, 02:15 AM
"Lets emphasize the anti-drug war message on hip-hop forums"

You, sir, are the picture of ignorance.

hahaha... well, my point is the demographic. Hop Hop forums though are predominantly "white", percentage wise they are predominently black. My point being, lets get the word out.

Also, I am more than qualified to make such statements. Though i do not listen to such music I don't think it is ignorant. There are a ton of underground hiphop movements that mostly visited by black americans.

I would be a little more careful on who is labled ignorant. Stop being so politically correct. And lighten up frances.

Lord Xar
11-19-2007, 02:19 AM

What the frig is wrong with you people? This is NOT ABOUT JUST THAT!!
stop being so Politically correct.. gotdayum.

This is NOT taboo to talk about. And I did not SAY ALL, did I? This is the same pandering political bullshit that everyone has to deal with - the forum police.

Go look up statistics okay. EVEN that woman on youtube mentions it. MANY INNERCITIES are plagued by it. It is not some UNKNOWN quantity ---

and it is a problem. IF YOU ARE ON BOARD that it is infact a 'sickness' then you would understand that it is a GOOD thing to talk about.

I also mentioned the WAR and INCOME TAX... <-- did you mention that?

Also, based on percentages - would you say more black men are behind bars? WHY???? DRUGS!!!!!!!!
Man, you people need to get over yourselves. My proposition is to HELP, not hinder.

INDIVIDUALISM, NOT COLLECTIVISM.. get on board.

BUT - just so the forum police think its wrong...

VIEW THIS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSh6kVT4UL0

I guess she is wrong too!

Man from La Mancha
11-19-2007, 02:24 AM
A great place would be setting up tables in flea markets in any minority neighborhoods and try talking to hair dressers and barber shops in black areas, a lot of net working goes on there.

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/3471/001bz2.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG2PUZoukfA)..http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9435/blackwsmallyh7.gif (teaparty07.com)..http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/8947/brighton7gs5.gif (teaparty07.com)..copy,paste,linked to teaparty07.com , last 2, only 1 million people at $100

Anti Federalist
11-19-2007, 02:26 AM
African American support for Paul is higher than all other GOP candidates already.

Take a look at this:

http://www.usaelectionpolls.com/2008/articles/ron-paul-polling-african-americans.html

Short story:

Candidate in General Election Black Voters
Ron Paul 33%
Hillary Clinton 60%

Ron Paul 31%
Barack Obama 61%

John McCain 16%
Barack Obama 75%

Mitt Romney 27%
Barack Obama 70%

Here are the results of a national survey of 800 likely voters conducted October 10-11, 2007 by Rasmussen Reports.

John McCain 24%
Hillary Clinton 63%

Mitt Romney 20%
Hillary Clinton 75%

Here are the results of a national survey of 800 likely voters conducted October 8-9, 2007 by Rasmussen Reports.

Rudy Giuliani 15%
Hillary Clinton 71%

dircha
11-19-2007, 02:28 AM
- Congressman Paul believes that the War on Drugs has ravaged our inner city communities by increasing crime, destroying families, robbing our young men and women of their futures, and must be stopped.

- Congressman Paul believes we should stop treating drug addiction as a criminal issue and start treating it as the public health issue it is.

- Congressman Paul believes that our nation's judicial system is biased against poor and minority defendants and has renounced his support for the death penalty because of the unfairness of the system.

- Congressman Paul believes we should end illegal immigration which is taking away the entry level job opportunities struggling families need to get ahead.

- Congressman Paul believes that we should create tax free zones to revitalize our inner city communities by stimulating growth and employment.

Voice
11-19-2007, 02:29 AM
Now how can we get that information disseminated?(SP?)

dircha
11-19-2007, 02:29 AM
I recommend watching the online video of the PBS minority issues GOP debate if you are looking for video clips.

Lord Xar
11-19-2007, 02:33 AM
yes, I am aware of the support in NH - but wasn't aware of it translated 'outside of that state'.

All I was actually considering is moving the concentration outwards a little online. I think the disillusionment we see is much more profound amongst certain groups. It is okay to try and capitilize on that, especially with Ron Paul's message.

Man from La Mancha
11-19-2007, 02:34 AM
- Congressman Paul believes that the War on Drugs has ravaged our inner city communities by increasing crime, destroying families, robbing our young men and women of their futures, and must be stopped.

- Congressman Paul believes that our nation's judicial system is biased against poor and minority defendants and has renounced his support for the death penalty because of the unfairness of the system.

- Congressman Paul believes we should end illegal immigration which is taking away the entry level job opportunities struggling families need to get ahead.

- Congressman Paul believes that we should create tax free zones to revitalize our inner city communities by stimulating growth and employment.Nice I'll try to remember this. Josh you have added a lot of good sub forum boards, but I would think having one that is dedicate to to each of Ron's issues such as this one. Each issue could have a separate board in the that main one. So many good points come up such as this that we need ready access for our rebuttals and converting

Lord Xar
11-19-2007, 02:35 AM

- Congressman Paul believes we should stop treating drug addiction as a criminal issue and start treating it as the public health issue it is.

- Congressman Paul believes that we should create tax free zones to revitalize our inner city communities by stimulating growth and employment.

yes. this is what I am talking about.

V-rod
11-19-2007, 03:59 AM
Hellooo.. the "war on drugs" have put so many urban youth in jail. That is one of the reasons why many African American neighborhoods are the poorest in the country, and their economic situation isn't changing.
With the stigma of 60%+ prison populations being "black", there is a lot of racial profiling that goes around.

SeanEdwards
11-19-2007, 04:13 AM

Black people are disproportionately victims of the drug war. White kids in the suburbs don't go to jail for getting caught with a little weed. Black kids in the city are likely to have the book thrown at them for the same offense.

Then you've got all those cases of outright police abuse, where drugs are planted, or false accusations from lying police informers are used to send people to prison. These events come up in the news all the time. Do a search on rampart division, or the oakland riders if you doubt me.

Ozwest
11-19-2007, 04:15 AM
Hellooo.. the "war on drugs" have put so many urban youth in jail. That is one of the reasons why many African American neighborhoods are the poorest in the country, and their economic situation isn't changing.
With the stigma of 60%+ prison populations being "black", there is a lot of racial profiling that goes around.

Exactly, stop being so P.C. and get on with it. This is panning out to be a Seinfeld episode.

KewlRonduderules
11-19-2007, 07:55 AM
You want to get black people to listen to Dr. Paul then talk about how NAFTA, CAFTA, WTO, and other trade treaties have actually harmed working class African Americans. They are proportionately more affected because lots of jobs are outsourced to different countries. Moreover, many unions jobs that Blacks belong to are having their jobs handed down to illegal immigrants especially construction.

Believe or not, Blacks are more resentful about this and believe this is mainly the result of racism and how "the Man" is cheating him out of the American Dream. Whether this is true or not, regardless this really hits home for them. I personally believe it has to do with economics- saving a buck or two for the big corporatocracy.

Moreover, there has been an increase in tensions between Blacks and Hispanics in inner cities. Some may argument because of cultural differences. This may be part of it but the bigger issue is that many Blacks do as many others due in this country- scapegoat Hispanics. An unfortunate consequence, due to the lack of job availability for many Blacks across the country.

LibertyEagle
11-19-2007, 08:20 AM
I recommend watching the online video of the PBS minority issues GOP debate if you are looking for video clips.

That' a good idea.

freelance
11-19-2007, 08:31 AM
Here's a little something that can help you. The Congressional Black Caucus has sold their constituency out for a quick buck:

'Cancer' in the Congressional Black Caucus as That Body Has Become Increasingly Pro-Corporate and Anti-Community

http://www.alternet.org/story/68191/

unklejman
11-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Then figure out a way to explain why business owners being able to refuse service to any one for any reason is a good thing. This is the biggest hurtle you will face. I have already faced it and I can't figure out a good way to address it. Mainly because I disagree to an extent.

CelestialRender
11-19-2007, 09:10 AM
As long as we have laws that punish victimless crimes, blacks will be disproportionately affected by the Justice Dept, so yeah while "all blacks don't do drugs" is obvious, that doesn't change the fact that you have some arguing room there that you don't with many whites.

In the end though: The message resonates with all voters, that's entirely the point. You can find some reason a person would support RP, and then show them how all the dots connect.

(Example: Are they already anti-war? Explain to them how credit-based currency allows gov to wage endless war, and how social programs are used for the justification. Explain that all power given to the gov becomes military power, no matter what it first appears to be.)

The real point of this thread should be to try pushing the message to everyone, even those you don't think will accept it. My whole family are card-carrying (literally) Democrats, and they're all going to vote for Ron Paul.

FSP-Rebel
11-19-2007, 11:03 AM
A great and popular place to advertise to African-Americans is the hip-hop mag 'The Source.' Key issues would be: privacy, anti-drug war, bring troops home to save/spend money for Americans (wink). The magazine has an especially high readership rate among black young people (18-34).

Nefertiti
12-01-2007, 08:09 PM
I was riding home on the bus from downtown Chicago this afternoon (I live in Obama's neighborhood) and I had a Ron Paul button attached to my purse. An African American guy standing behind me saw it and we started talking about Ron Paul. He said he liked Ron Paul the best of all the candidates and he felt he was the most honest and was truly different from the rest. He thought Obama was no different from a typical politician. He told me that the two big issues that attracted him to Ron Paul were his wanting to withdraw from international organizations and removing our military bases/reducing our overseas spending. But he also was worried that the powerful people who have the most to lose from a Paul presidency might have him assassinated. The long and the short of it is that one can't pigeonhole what issues are important to African Americans-his two big issues were not ones that would normally associate with African Americans. So I think probably the rule of find out what is important to the person before pitching Ron Paul to them is the best approach.

Nate
12-01-2007, 08:28 PM
I was riding home on the bus from downtown Chicago this afternoon (I live in Obama's neighborhood) and I had a Ron Paul button attached to my purse. An African American guy standing behind me saw it and we started talking about Ron Paul. He said he liked Ron Paul the best of all the candidates and he felt he was the most honest and was truly different from the rest. He thought Obama was no different from a typical politician. He told me that the two big issues that attracted him to Ron Paul were his wanting to withdraw from international organizations and removing our military bases/reducing our overseas spending. But he also was worried that the powerful people who have the most to lose from a Paul presidency might have him assassinated. The long and the short of it is that one can't pigeonhole what issues are important to African Americans-his two big issues were not ones that would normally associate with African Americans. So I think probably the rule of find out what is important to the person before pitching Ron Paul to them is the best approach.

Exactly, thank you. I've lived in a 90% black neiborhood all my life. They don't all think alike, just like the white population in this country. Approach them like anybody else, find out what their main issues are and then sell them on why Dr Paul is their man. I've turned on about 30 black people in my neiborhood to the Dr and they are telling everyone they know. I'm also in the heart of Obamaland. Most of the people in my neiborhood think no differently about Obama than any other politician.

Nefertiti
12-01-2007, 08:34 PM
And to be perfectly honest I think a lot of them don't think Obama has a chance. I overheard a couple guys one day talking and one of them was saying that he thought Obama was running for president just because he wanted to be appointed to be Secretary of State-they can imagine a black Secretary of State because Rice has reached that position but I'm not sure a lot of them have the confidence in the people in this country to elect Obama to the presidency.

AlexMerced
12-01-2007, 08:38 PM
The first rule of being a good sales men, figure out what your target needs

When I bring up ROn Paul, my first question ebfore I say anything is "what issues are important to you?"

I go on from there, no need to go into issues they don't care about

Nate
12-01-2007, 08:45 PM
If you're going to target the hip-hop community focus on the underground scene. It is generaly much more politically concious and very well informed. Hip-hop is how I got interested in politics.
Fans of artists such as Blue Scholars, Brother Ali, Atmosphere, KRS-One, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, The Roots, Common, Sage Francis, Exposition, Dose One, Non-Phixion, All Natural and Binary Star would be a good place to start. Most of these people are highly critical of government and already agree with the Dr on many things. Sage Francis showed me some love at a concert a couple of months ago because I was wearing a Ron Paul Revolution shirt. If you have never heard of him look up his song Makeshift Patriot, he made it right after 9/11 about the media coverage and how it was all war propaganda. Very prophetic.

michaelwise
12-01-2007, 08:46 PM
1st African-Am. Female Combat Pilot Applauds Ron Paul
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWQJf2chfKo#GU5U2spHI_4

Pete Kay
12-01-2007, 09:03 PM
:mad:This thread offends me. This whole idea of targeting a group because of their skin tone is racist to the bone. Black people hate this and you guys should be ashamed of yourself for even discussing this. I am a minority person and it pisses me off to no end when anybody makes assumptions about me because I have dark skin. This is something I live with daily. Everyday I have to put up with morons that asume that I speak spanish or that I'm an immigrant or that I think a certain way just because of the way I look. People have told me that they can't believe that I would support a conservative Republican because I'm a minority. This idea of targeting blacks to get their votes is sickening. Grow the hell up. This is not Ron Paul's way.

Adamsa
12-01-2007, 09:09 PM
African Americans are inidividuals, theres no magic option that makes the whole race vote for Ron.

AlexMerced
12-01-2007, 09:10 PM
If you're going to target the hip-hop community focus on the underground scene. It is generaly much more politically concious and very well informed. Hip-hop is how I got interested in politics.
Fans of artists such as Blue Scholars, Brother Ali, Atmosphere, KRS-One, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, The Roots, Common, Sage Francis, Exposition, Dose One, Non-Phixion, All Natural and Binary Star would be a good place to start. Most of these people are highly critical of government and already agree with the Dr on many things. Sage Francis showed me some love at a concert a couple of months ago because I was wearing a Ron Paul Revolution shirt. If you have never heard of him look up his song Makeshift Patriot, he made it right after 9/11 about the media coverage and how it was all war propaganda. Very prophetic.

we have the ame taste in hip hop, Sage Francis is my personal favorite, his lyrics just astonish me.

Hip Hop has already embraced Ron Paul, go to http://www.musicisnow.com and read the newest post about it.

We need punk to embrace Ron Paul, we almost sort of gone psuedo approval from the Sex Pistols. If we could get someone like Fat Mike on board who is fierecly anti-war, we'd be golden.

Hope
12-01-2007, 09:13 PM
:mad:This thread offends me. This whole idea of targeting a group because of their skin tone is racist to the bone. Black people hate this and you guys should be ashamed of yourself for even discussing this. I am a minority person and it pisses me off to no end when anybody makes assumptions about me because I have dark skin. This is something I live with daily. Everyday I have to put up with morons that asume that I speak spanish or that I'm an immigrant or that I think a certain way just because of the way I look. People have told me that they can't believe that I would support a conservative Republican because I'm a minority. This idea of targeting blacks to get their votes is sickening. Grow the hell up. This is not Ron Paul's way.

You should read the thread all the way through before getting upset. Demographics matter, not because of skin color but because of the issues that culturally significant to different groups. We absolutely need to be honest and objective about who Ron Paul's message is reaching and who it is not and why. It would be foolish to completely ignore age, race, religion, gender and orientation when trying to win a political campaign. You have to "target" your message, otherwise you're not going to be able to reach everybody about the candidate you support. If I target women who are over 35, it's not that I think less of women or people who are over the age of 35 -- it's that I know those are people who haven't heard about Ron Paul yet. And it isn't prejuidiced to point out that there are issues which affect or concern some demographics more than others. If blacks and Hispanics are being unfairly criminilized by our drug laws and the death penalty, that's really something we need to be aware of and talk with them about.

Pete Kay
12-01-2007, 09:24 PM
You should read the thread all the way through before getting upset. Demographics matter, not because of skin color but because of the issues that culturally significant to different groups. We absolutely need to be honest and objective about who Ron Paul's message is reaching and who it is not and why. It would be foolish to completely ignore age, race, religion, gender and orientation when trying to win a political campaign. You have to "target" your message, otherwise you're not going to be able to reach everybody about the candidate you support. If I target women who are over 35, it's not that I think less of women or people who are over the age of 35 -- it's that I know those are people who haven't heard about Ron Paul yet. And it isn't prejuidiced to point out that there are issues which affect or concern some demographics more than others. If blacks and Hispanics are being unfairly criminilized by our drug laws and the death penalty, that's really something we need to be aware of and talk with them about.

It upsets me becaue I have to live with this kind of mentality daily. I don't know what ethnic background you come from but imagine every day people looking at you and giving you dirty looks or not speaking to you because they assume that you don't know english. So when you say that you should try to target black people because they will probably like Ron Paul's message, well that's offensive to me. I can't stand when people make generalizatons about me. I want to be treated like an individual not a minority member. It's one of the things that drew me to Ron Paul. He's the only politician that doesn't pander and I love that. When his supporters start pandering, I hate that.

JaylieWoW
12-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Then figure out a way to explain why business owners being able to refuse service to any one for any reason is a good thing. This is the biggest hurtle you will face. I have already faced it and I can't figure out a good way to address it. Mainly because I disagree to an extent.

As do I. But my disagreement is on a moral level rather than a freedom level. One thing to remember is that it is always tempting to regulate things (especially the negative and the bad), however it is via such regulation that things tend... wait... no... they ALWAYS get distorted and result in something no one ever intended. I don't understand why it is that way, but that is the way it is. I believe utilizing "force" rather than "persuasion" has a great deal to do with it. I can think of several things in my life I probably should have resisted (like smoking) that I didn't just because it was MY choice not someone else's to make for me. Am I making any sense. The whole... back me in a corner and see what happens instinct.

Look, we are already very far past the point of "denying" entry based on race, gender and religious preferences. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I am saying that it isn't "mainstream" with us ordinary folks who live outside the political fantasy world.

It would be very VERY hard for any business that decided to enforce entry into their shops based upon the color of ones skin to survive for very long. That is definitely something to rejoice and embrace. I certainly have friends from all over the spectrum. I just like honest discussion.

I am sick to death of all the PC manners that are harped on these days. People should be able to talk openly, period, end of story.

CMoore
12-01-2007, 09:44 PM
If you were, say, an accountant, would it offend you if someone said that the Paul campaign should make an effort to get his message out to accountants because they may find the message appeals to them?

Or better yet, a lawyer. People say all kinds of awful things about lawyers and disparage them as a group. So would you be offended if someone said that we should make an effort to get the message out to lawyers?

That is all he is saying. We should make an effort to get the message out to African Americans (or blacks, if you prefer) because Dr. Paul's message may appeal to them and they may vote for him.

Mark Rushmore
12-01-2007, 09:50 PM

We are working towards an end, at which we haven't yet arrived. I'm 'a minority' and I've grown up primarily with 'minorities'... perhaps you've never had someone discussing an election tell you, "I'm a ____, of course I voted ____." But I have, and too often at that. There are molds that need to be broken which are being broken as we speak. If you want to see individualism thrive over collectivism, you should consider that collectivist thinking needs to be broken on both sides, "majority" and "minority" alike.

Kregener
12-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Afriwho-Ameriwhats?

"Gay"
"Democracy"
"Gun crime"
"Assault rifle"

The slide just keeps on rolling...

Hope
12-01-2007, 10:14 PM
It upsets me becaue I have to live with this kind of mentality daily. I don't know what ethnic background you come from but imagine every day people looking at you and giving you dirty looks or not speaking to you because they assume that you don't know english. So when you say that you should try to target black people because they will probably like Ron Paul's message, well that's offensive to me. I can't stand when people make generalizatons about me. I want to be treated like an individual not a minority member. It's one of the things that drew me to Ron Paul. He's the only politician that doesn't pander and I love that. When his supporters start pandering, I hate that.

No one here is being racist or attacking you. You're being overly sensitive because of completely unrelated events that have happened to you. No one here wants to pander to any group -- we're not talking about bribing people with tax dollars or passing special laws. We've given several examples of what it is we're talking about to make things clear to you. I don't know what more can be said.

Corydoras
12-01-2007, 10:14 PM
I want to be treated like an individual not a minority member. It's one of the things that drew me to Ron Paul. He's the only politician that doesn't pander and I love that. When his supporters start pandering, I hate that.

I very much understand what you are talking about. Let me give you an example I wrote in another thread-- and people no doubt will say that I'm ethnically generalizing, too, even though I'm taking aim at a way of ethnic stereotyping:

Most white and black Americans think that anybody beige doesn't look American. I mean people whose ancestors are from the Middle East, Asia, or the indigenous people of the Americas.

Furthermore, identity politics is pernicious. Who's to say what's most important about a person-- occupation, religion, race, a hobby like hunting, sexual orientation, living in a particular region like the Delta, physical handicap? Why do people have to choose? They shouldn't have to in order to be a politically involved citizen!

Nevertheless, where various elements of the grassroots are targeting truckers, heavy metal rockers, Mormons, Arabs, and breeders of Polish Lowland Sheep dogs, I don't believe that targeting African Americans is meant to be pandering. I think more it's meant to be about innovative ways to reach out to people by understanding their special concerns. I hope you might acknowledge that.

It is true that with race, it's incredibly easy to screw up. It's obvious that Americans of European ancestry do not all have the same concerns. Indeed, the two black Ron Paul supporters I know have never mentioned any of the topics in this thread; their big deal is fiscal prudence and RP being a forthright, no-BS kind of upright-character person.

My thought is that ethnic groups probably are OK to target insofar as they are more likely to have a particular shared interest due to knowing about the political situation in their country of ancestry. But racial grouping may not be effective and may be offensive, insofar as members of racial groups are probably too diverse to target easily.

Black people, for example, include immigrants from north Africa, immigrants from subsaharan Africa, immigrants from the Caribbean, native-born American descendents of pre-Civil War slaves, and others.

Americans of all colors are likely to screw up with race. I remember the irony of an immigrant from Ethiopia who attended a conference on "AIDS among African-Americans" and was told he could not participate because he wanted to talk about AIDS among immigrants to America from Africa. The conference organizers refused to acknowledge that immigrants from Africa are indeed African-Americans, and indeed in a more literal sense than descendants of antebellum slaves.

Lord Xar
12-01-2007, 10:46 PM
You all are being absolutely ridiculous.

We have been putting ads in Arab newspapers, Gun Magazines, posts on "we need more women in the movement", Postsmokers, anarchists, christians, latinos ..... and how to target these groups..

THEN

We get a thread, by me, suggesting we target a group that, as a whole - probably has NOT heard of Ron Paul and how we might change that..... That is IT!! It is simple.

.... and this is construed as racist! RIDICULOUS.

Marketing has been around forever and I am sorry, my good intentions and happy thoughts are NOT gonna all of sudden put Ron Paul in the minds of those who will most likely NOT get the freedom message.

How many threads have we seen that say "Mostly white men support Ron Paul"... WHY IS THAT???
Is there something white men are getting that others arent'? What? More access to internet? A greater critical eye for the media? WHATEVER IT IS - IT IS NOT seeping thru to others in mass --- SO, what is the alternative?

Worry how others will construe my suggestion that we get the message out to groups or "individuals" who might not otherwise have heard him?

We are getting WAY PC here. Targeting a specific individual OR a group is not a bad thing. In fact, if we want to win this thing we have to find ways to 'target' certain segments of the population... WHY? TO LET THEM KNOW THE MESSAGE EXISTS. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!

AND just so you know...

"IF" groups didn't want to be identified as groups then why do we have "latinos 4 Ron Paul", "Jews 4 Ron Paul", and he soon to be created "Minorities 4 Ron Paul".. and there are a few others too.

What is going on in this forum?? This is not some Political discussion forum to discuss history or interpretation, it is to find grassroots ways to get the message out!

And my question, in a nutshell was, HOW DO WE GET RON PAUL'S MESSAGE TO THE "AFRICAN/BLACK AMERICAN COMMUNITY"???? simple. no hidden agenda. no racist or bigot overtones....

Corydoras
12-01-2007, 10:59 PM
You all are being absolutely ridiculous.

ALL?
:confused:

Micahyah
12-02-2007, 12:31 AM
I think you stress the positions you talked about in the original post. Best way online is to go to forums I think.

Also, a lot of black churches are pro-life and anti-war, and reaching out to the church leaders much in the same way Bush in 2000 did could be real effective.

EDIT: and I didn't think your OP was racist as all. (I'm black)

hard@work
12-02-2007, 01:12 AM
I'm with you Xar. But we need activists that understand the message of personal accountability and can communicate such to the communities we wish to target. This is going to be difficult to find especially if we have to sort through a lot of fear.

davidhperry
12-02-2007, 01:55 AM
I don't think that targeting a specific minority is the best way to go about it. Take a look at the slim jims that HQ puts out - not one of them is aimed specifically towards a people group like that. For example, there is one for gun owners but *anyone* can be interested in guns. We can't all be hispanic, a woman, or homosexual, etc. See what I mean?

As it has been pointed out, it *is* a great idea to contextualize the message of to fit the person or audience that we're speaking with. As we talk with people, we first need to listen to what types of issues motivate them and then respond with relevant info. For example, when I'm talking with seniors I don't bring up the drug policy stuff since I don't think many of them would understand the issue in it's entirety. Instead, I focus on Dr. Paul's stellar conservative credentials (if, after talking with them, I can tell that they lean towards conservatism). If not, I bring up the issues that they would be attracted to.

In many ways, we have it easy because there are many aspects of Ron Paul's message that are inticing to everybody, and that's the way it should be. Freedom brings us together, etc.

I think this is the main thrust of what the OP was saying. In any campaigning that we do, we should listen first and then bring up issues that interest them individually. When I go out canvassing, I find it to be much more effective to do more listening than talking.

noztnac
12-02-2007, 02:15 AM
Jet Magazine
Ebony Magazine

Advertise the MLK money bomb.

hard@work
12-02-2007, 02:15 AM
I don't think that targeting a specific minority is the best way to go about it.

You know, I've read a lot of this sentiment. I could not disagree with you more. I do not have time nor do I have interest in the idea of "targeting a specific minority". These are Americans. They need this message as much as anyone. The propoganda machines are deeply embedded in these communities. The spirit of liberty is needed in all areas of our nation, not just those that it has already reached. So if you all don't mind, I'm going to reach out to people that you may not. And for some of you naysayers - whether you like it or not.

;-)

Micahyah
12-02-2007, 02:16 AM
Here's an idea, how about cutting together a youtube video or DVD of Paul's answers to the questions at that DC forum a couple months back?

Flirple
12-02-2007, 02:24 AM
Here's an idea, how about cutting together a youtube video or DVD of Paul's answers to the questions at that DC forum a couple months back?

That sounds like a good start.

I also really love the idea of a MLK themed money bomb, But it is too early to start to get distracted by promoting that yet. Wait until after we've had our tea.

davidhperry
12-02-2007, 02:39 AM
You know, I've read a lot of this sentiment. I could not disagree with you more. I do not have time nor do I have interest in the idea of "targeting a specific minority". These are Americans. They need this message as much as anyone. The propoganda machines are deeply embedded in these communities. The spirit of liberty is needed in all areas of our nation, not just those that it has already reached. So if you all don't mind, I'm going to reach out to people that you may not. And for some of you naysayers - whether you like it or not.

;-)

I think you misread my post because I didn't say not reach out to specific groups - just the opposite. I don't disagree with anything you said. Obviously, everyone needs this message, as you articulated.

What I'd like to underscore is that it isn't necessary for us to dice up the message and package it for a specific audience. The message is truly universal and that's why it's spreading like it is. Are we not talking about the same thing?

We need to talk with everyone we can and advertising the message in every venue and medium possible. And I don't think we need to create an ad for black people, hispanic people, gay people, or any other "group." If we do, we follow the same tactics of other campaigns, which encourages collectivism, not individualism.

I'm trying to pass along some observations that I've seen because I've done a lot of canvassing and have talked with several hundred people at this point.

People aren't drawn to Ron Paul because he "understands the black community" or "identifies with gay people." Black people and gay people are drawn to this campaign because Ron Paul understands and identifies with people and the rights they have as individuals. If you present it like that, it gets them every time.

TheNewYorker
12-02-2007, 02:42 AM
African American support for Paul is higher than all other GOP candidates already.

Yeah, and like 1% of blacks support a republican. 99% support Obama, just because he's black. That's how the black brain thinks. They are a minority - and minorities find strength in numbers, it's an instinct - so, they will always support the person that is "one of them".

So yeah, Ron Paul might be getting more support from africans than any other republican, at 30%, but it's still 30% of 1%.

And if you think I'm wrong, I already have conducted a Frank Luntz style poll. I actually asked 11 blacks at my college who they were voting for and all 11 of them said they liked Obama. So we can conclude nearly 100% of them will be voting Obama.

hasan
12-02-2007, 02:42 AM
how about adding malcolm x into the mix? he is idolized by african americans in much the same way MLK is.

hasan
12-02-2007, 02:47 AM
Yeah, and like 1% of blacks support a republican. 99% support Obama, just because he's black. That's how the black brain thinks. They are a minority - and minorities find strength in numbers, it's an instinct - so, they will always support the person that is "one of them".

So yeah, Ron Paul might be getting more support from africans than any other republican, at 30%, but it's still 30% of 1%.

i don't understand what you're trying to say in your comments. there is alot of controversy regarding obama amongst african american people. many of them say he does not comprehend the history of the african american people because his father wasn't american. thats why im pretty sure 99 % of the african american people don't necessarily support him. so it would be wrong to say that african american people support obama simply because his skin color is similar to theirs.

Train
12-02-2007, 02:55 AM
I definitely agree that we should be reaching out to these people, but I think that other african americans are the best asset we have in doing this. Most of the african americans that I know don't care about party, all they know is "a black man is running for president" and they think it is their duty to support him. We need african american supporters of Dr. Paul to help reach out to these people. Help them to understand that this election is *not* about race, it is about principle. In order to reach out to them you would have to delve into the issues that Obama is focused on and compare him to Paul. It's a tough sell and I think only another african american could convince them.

davidhperry
12-02-2007, 02:58 AM
And my question, in a nutshell was, HOW DO WE GET RON PAUL'S MESSAGE TO THE "AFRICAN/BLACK AMERICAN COMMUNITY"???? simple. no hidden agenda. no racist or bigot overtones....

As others have said, I think it's a great idea to advertise in magazines and on radio and tv stations that reach the black community.

Effective campaigning is very social and localized. I've noticed that when I canvass, people have to first identify with me before they decide to give their support. If we have some sort of common ground (age, interests, beliefs, etc) then they are a lot more likely to be interested in what I have to say.

There is a book called "The Tipping Point" and it talks about reaching the influences within specific communities because they, in turn, will spread the message to their sphere of influence. Within each of these communities, we should try to reach out to the influences so that they can do the same.

Corydoras
12-02-2007, 03:07 AM

Yeah, that was a Luntz style poll indeed. Very large numbers of black people support Hillary instead of Obama because they believe they know what she will do and are not sure about what he will do. Support of Hillary is particularly pronounced among black women.

Black support of Republicans IS low, but it is not 1%. And there ARE black Republicans whose families have been Republican since the Civil War, because they remember that it was the Democrats who supported slavery and unequal treatment under the law right into the 1960s-- people like Bull Connor, for example.

The phrase "black brain" is a very poor choice of words, by the way-- very mechanistic.

Nefertiti
12-02-2007, 04:06 AM
It upsets me becaue I have to live with this kind of mentality daily. I don't know what ethnic background you come from but imagine every day people looking at you and giving you dirty looks or not speaking to you because they assume that you don't know english.

Pete-You obviously have some personal issues that are unique to you. My husband is Egyptian-you would think he would have trouble being Arab-but when he walks around on the streets of Chicago people think he is Mexican. He gets talked to in Spanish, he even got punched in the face on the bus once (while sitting silently minding his own business) and we are certain it is because he looks Mexican. He laughs it all off and doesn't get upset about it. It sounds like you think you are better than Hispanics and better than immigrants. Obviously, the racism that has been directed at you is turning you into a racist yourself.

Nefertiti
12-02-2007, 04:10 AM
As others have said, I think it's a great idea to advertise in magazines and on radio and tv stations that reach the black community.

Effective campaigning is very social and localized. I've noticed that when I canvass, people have to first identify with me before they decide to give their support. If we have some sort of common ground (age, interests, beliefs, etc) then they are a lot more likely to be interested in what I have to say.

There is a book called "The Tipping Point" and it talks about reaching the influences within specific communities because they, in turn, will spread the message to their sphere of influence. Within each of these communities, we should try to reach out to the influences so that they can do the same.

Exactly! It's not about tailoring the message to a particular group but getting the message out through the media and networks that actually reach a particular group. Some people in my neighborhood wouldn't get the message if it was in the Arab American newspaper that Hamadeh placed some ads in but they would get it if it were in Louis Farrakhan's Final Call which is being hawked on my street corner here.

Corydoras
12-02-2007, 04:36 AM
Everyday I have to put up with morons that asume that I speak spanish or that I'm an immigrant or that I think a certain way just because of the way I look. People have told me that they can't believe that I would support a conservative Republican because I'm a minority.

It sounds like you think you are better than Hispanics and better than immigrants.

Nefertiti, I don't agree. I think you are over-reading what Pete said... it's got to be intensely frustrating to be taken for a foreigner in one's own country, and also not to be treated as an individual. And then to be told that one ought to vote a certain way because of one's skin tone, as if one ought to vote for Hillary because one has no Y chromosome... it's got to be grating to encounter day after day after day.

Most people like to be treated not only as individuals, but accurately.

It's not just a race matter. I know a Spanish-speaking Russian woman who speaks English as a third language, who was really pretty unhappy to find out that I had originally thought she was Romanian (because of the combination of Latin and Slavic sounds in her speech). So I think your husband has an exceptionally thick skin.

rpf2008
12-02-2007, 04:38 AM
From my experience black people tend to be more politically aware (since the system has always treated them so good). I don't think they need (or want?) anyone else's help figure it out.

Corydoras
12-02-2007, 04:43 AM
black people tend to be more politically aware (since the system has always treated them so good).

More politically aware than whom?

I hope you're being sarcastic about "the system." One reason for supporting small government is because of the undignified, patronizing, bullying way that government programs and bureaucrats treat beneficiaries.

rpf2008
12-02-2007, 05:06 AM
More politically aware than whom?

I hope you're being sarcastic about "the system." One reason for supporting small government is because of the undignified, patronizing, bullying way that government programs and bureaucrats treat beneficiaries.

More politically aware than most average Joe white people I've known. And ya, I was being sarcastic ;)

noztnac
12-02-2007, 05:30 AM

I respectfully disagree. In this particular situation there is nothing negative being said or done with regard to black people. If anything they are finally being respected as a group that deserves more influence than it has traditionally been afforded. First and foremost we are all individuals. But we also belong to groups that further define us. I, for example, am a white, Christian, American, Libertarian, male who happens to be a Ron Paul supporter. I am not insulted at being called any of these things together or separately. I think you are overreacting based on a reactionary and overly simplistic reading of what is trying to be done. But, having said that, you do make a valid point.
It is irritating to be specifically targeted because you happen to belong to a certain demographic. None of us likes to feel like we are a number or merely a member of a group. But this is politics. Some statistical analysis is required and a great deal of calculation must be invested in achieving a positive outcome for our candidate. It is the price we must pay to ultimately put the most colorblind, pro liberty candidate in office. So for now I'm going to suck it up and be a number. Count me as one vote for Ron Paul. It's dehumanizing to be just one vote among millions but it is necessary.

Pharoah
12-02-2007, 05:35 AM
I think this thread is wandering away from the OP's intention. It's easy to get caught up in racial politics, so let's keep it simple. The point this thread makes is that we have a problem in terms of getting Ron Paul's message out to African Americans. The evidence for this is said to be the low turnout of this demographic at Ron Paul events. We know that the message is powerful, so our best bet is to reach out to African Americans. The OP was suggesting this should be done through culturally popular/relevant media... which in marketing terms, is absolutely correct. The counter argument is that Ron Paul subverts conventional marketing techniques by simply being himself - not repackaging his message for different demographics.
However, if you listen closely to Ron Paul's speeches, you'll notice that while he doesn't change his positions, he sometimes emphasizes different issues depending on where he's speaking. Possibly the best course is to stick to RP's main themes - liberty, the war, the economy and taxes... and if these don't work, try the "What issues are important to you?" question.

a_european
12-02-2007, 06:35 AM
As do I. But my disagreement is on a moral level rather than a freedom level. One thing to remember is that it is always tempting to regulate things (especially the negative and the bad), however it is via such regulation that things tend... wait... no... they ALWAYS get distorted and result in something no one ever intended. [...]

I just wanted to agree with you in this point and add my personal view on this issue.
I'm going to defend the undefendable here:
Recently I read an article about a german hotel owner, who received a reservation from the german nazi party for a meeting in his hotel. As soon as he found out who they were (from the names he couldn't have known), he sent them a letter in which he basically told them, in a polite and level-headed way, to f**k off. I applaud him for it. Thats exactly what everyone should have done and I hope he increased his customer-base because of it. But why was he able to do that? Because of the freedom of association and of contracts. The opposite case would have been if he refused service because of the customers skin color. Thats not socially acceptable behavior (hopefully), and infinite stupid economically. That alone should be enough to punish entrepreneurs for racist behavior. Do you need laws against racism or discrimination?
I think Ron Paul knows that racism in its roots is a social problem, and the symptoms are political. Politics make it only worse and divide "groups".
A little metaphor: He is a doctor and knows, if a patient has cancer, just cut the damn thing out before it starts to metastasise. Other politicans love to give morphium, until the patient is dead. People take drugs? "There should be a law" People are racist? "law".
If you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

In the case of African-Americans: Just talk to them! Spread the message and emphasize certain points that appeal to them. Like with everyone else.
Income tax and War On Drugs (read: War On Minorities) for example.

Revolution9
12-02-2007, 07:57 AM
Listen.

This is a PRIME yield voting block.

END the war
END the federal income tax
END the war on Drugs
Equality and true liberty.

Ron Paul's message will resonate the most with this group than any other candidate. Dem or Repub.

We need to target the larget hiphop youtubes, small hiphop youtubes, forums and message boards, or more contemporary music forums.

I will tell you something, a HUGE swath of Black Americans are actually very open to communication and expression. They just want to be dealt with on an even level or real level.

A GREAT example is that youtube of the meetup member of that black female talking sense.

Think how much more economically vialble and real chance the black community would get with NO taxes and a end to the war on drugs that treats those with drug addictions as criminals rather than those needing medical help. Also, the concept of individuality.

Part of what I am saying is just to get the "word out" in that demograhpic.

Close to half the 1000+ literature packs we gave out yesterday at The Freedom Park sign waving here were to Black families and single black men. The single black women did not hardly accpet any, but the families did..almost in single file. There were about a thousand honks and some came in clusters of a dozen opr more vehicles sounding off at the same time. 80+ % of the cars were in definite recognition of the RP brand. We had four teoll cars.. Three with Obama and one Hillary.

The jewel package is One Slim Jim, one Founding Father ad reprints and a bumper sticker.. The bumper stickers were often looked at like prize =]jewels.. hand them out with the slim jims folks.

Folks.. I have near monolithic Ron Paul name recognition here in my area. I have a big mouth. Ron has a great platform. Hard pair to beat at the bar or coffee shop.

Best
randy

a_european
12-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Good work Randy! Thanks.
He's catching on...

constituent
12-02-2007, 08:56 AM
A great place would be setting up tables in flea markets in any minority neighborhoods and try talking to hair dressers and barber shops in black areas, a lot of net working goes on there.

and churches, you will find yourself welcomed w/ very open arms.

this is speaking from experience, and i'm a white-boy from the rural south.

rodent
12-02-2007, 09:05 AM

I'm also a minority, but I acknowledge that the "American experience" is different depending on your skin color. It does make sense to target specific minority groups because we have to show that the message of freedom will do more to help them than the message of big government stepping in on their behalf. Don't think of it as pandering, but more as setting groups of people free from the idea that they need big government to treat them differently. Eyes still need to be opened as to how freedom can solve problems.

The way I see it, a lot of people who're minorities think they deserve special protections -- as if we were on some sort of endangered species list. The thought that the government could somehow protect us better than we can with our own self-determination and rights the constitution grants us is totally ridiculous.

We want black votes because we want blacks to believe in the message of freedom and to stand by us when we usher in the best presidential candidate this country has seen in some time. This is the kind of inclusiveness we want to bring to minorities in politics. This has nothing to do with pandering. We have to overcome the distrust African Americans have for the political process and show them that we also are fighting the establishment.

It is absolutely ridiculous to think Xar had anything but good intentions.

AlexMerced
12-02-2007, 09:10 AM
I'm also a minority, but I acknowledge that the "American experience" is different depending on your skin color. It does make sense to target specific minority groups because we have to show that the message of freedom will do more to help them than the message of big government stepping in on their behalf. Don't think of it as pandering, but more as setting groups of people free from the idea that they need big government to treat them differently. Eyes still need to be opened as to how freedom can solve problems.

The way I see it, a lot of people who're minorities think they deserve special protections -- as if we were on some sort of endangered species list. The thought that the government could somehow protect us better than we can with our own self-determination and rights the constitution grants us is totally ridiculous.

We want black votes because we want blacks to believe in the message of freedom and to stand by us when we usher in the best presidential candidate this country has seen in some time. This is the kind of inclusiveness we want to bring to minorities in politics. This has nothing to do with pandering. We have to overcome the distrust African Americans have for the political process and show them that we also are fighting the establishment.

It is absolutely ridiculous to think Xar had anything but good intentions.

I agree with that sorta, I think everyone has a very unique american experience which is what we're fighting to protect. Everybody has their prejudices (it's function of human nature to categorize) which is perfectly ok. I just draw the line where every Liberty minded person draws the line, when somebody else begins to infringe on another liberty.

Direct Mail in Canvassing is what get poll numbers, no one remember all the press gave to grassroots direct mail during the last election.

Eleutheros
12-02-2007, 09:41 AM
I want to say to all of you that what you are currently doing to get black votes is good, and to continue the good work to get the good Dr. elected. But if you want a guaranteed surefire way to get black votes en masse? You need to get one person to support Dr. Paul:

TAVIS SMILEY!

I can guarantee you if you can win Tavis over to support Ron Paul, then it was definately create a ripple effect throughout the black community, because he will be talking about it on the Tom Joyner Morning Show from now till Election Day, guaranteed. And when Tavis talks, the black community definately listens. He has launched numerous boycotts which mobilized people and had garnered many positive (and desired) results.

Tavis was in Columbus a month ago to give a speech regarding black home-ownership and I tried to speak to him then, but he had a plane to catch, and snuck offstage via a side exit. He will be speaking at our fraternity's national Founders Day event (of which he is a member) in LA on January 5. I plan to fly out there, and if I get a chance, I'll try to speak to him then.

Bottom line: get Tavis and you'll get a flood of black votes. Guaranteed.

EvilNight
12-02-2007, 11:17 AM
The issue of DRUGS has become a weapon the police use at will any time they feel they need an excuse to do something. They use it far more ruthlessly against African Americans than they do against any other demographic (look up prison population percentages if you don't believe it - If memory serves Mississippi is 78% black).

Ending the war on drugs would take away this most common tool for racism and persecution.

No one is saying any people of color do more drugs. We all know however that people of color pay a higher price for every drug related offense and are far more likely to be abused by the law. That's a fact in every state in this nation and it is worse in the deep south and in poor inner cities.

THIS is why people of color will be happy to vote for Ron Paul.

Also it wouldn't hurt to mention that with the abolition of the IRS and SS, all workers would be getting a raise considerably larger than one which would come from a boost in the minimum wage.

The one-two punch of more money for poor Americans and removal of anti-drug laws commonly abused as tools of persecution and racism stands a very good chance at improving the lives of all people in this country. It's a powerful message.

Leroy_Jenkems
12-23-2007, 12:19 AM

Bingo.