PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Fails to Secure Democratic Party Presidential Nomination

sailingaway
09-07-2012, 05:21 PM
http://c481901.r1.cf2.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Getty_120511_RonPaul-300x168.jpg

With the close of the Democratic convention it is now clear that Ron Paul will not be the Democratic Party’s candidate for President in 2012. While Ron Paul did run second to Obama in New Hampshire, picking up almost 4 percent of the vote, unlike John Wolfe, Jim Rogers and Randal Terry, he did not even get close to potentially having any pledged delegates to support him on the floor. Though thanks to the open process of the DNC, much like Hillary Clinton, neither did they.

Pundits have speculated that not actually being on the Democratic Party ballot may have hurt Ron Paul’s chances. Nevertheless Ron Paul did come in second in the New Hampshire Democratic primary, as he did in the Republican primary, giving him two options if he chooses to run again.

more at link: http://frontpagemag.com/2012/dgreenfield/ron-paul-fails-to-secure-democratic-party-presidential-nomination/

Dublin4Paul
09-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Damn, I really had my fingers crossed for this one! :(

Ivash
09-07-2012, 07:48 PM
But he was so close!

asurfaholic
09-07-2012, 08:15 PM
its not over yet. He can still win.

NinjaPirate
09-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Huh? How can Ron Paul be on the Democratic Party ballot??

FriedChicken
09-07-2012, 08:53 PM
He was a write in in NH - who won second to Obama (and beat Hillary, which is actually the real story since there was a group trying to make a point by urging people to vote for her and put some money in the campaign to write in hillary.)

Keith and stuff
09-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Huh? How can Ron Paul be on the Democratic Party ballot??

New Hampshire is a crazy place. Even if write-ins aren't officially counted for Presidential Primary ballots, which they aren't, they are officially counted for Presidential Primary ballots. BTW, write-ins are officially counted for the NH State House and NH State Senate Republican Primary and Democratic Primary ballots. I hope that made sense because my head hurts and I don't feel like explaining it again ;)

TheTexan
09-07-2012, 09:04 PM
I know we didn't get the Democratic nomination this time, but we made much better progress this year than last time. Just stick with it, don't give up now!

WhistlinDave
09-07-2012, 09:42 PM
This is hilarious!! Anybody know, is it an open primary in NH? Or was this strictly registered Dems voting for RP?

sailingaway
09-07-2012, 09:45 PM
This is hilarious!! Anybody know, is it an open primary in NH? Or was this strictly registered Dems voting for RP?

It was Dems. It is a sort of open primary in that independents can vote for either party but if you hadn't changed to independent or R by a certain date, you couldn't.

ClydeCoulter
09-07-2012, 10:05 PM
This is eff'ing great, 4 percent as a write in on the Dem ticket :D

Fricking Amazing

thatpeculiarcat
09-08-2012, 09:20 AM
I feel like I'm on r/circlejerk

FindLiberty
09-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Maybe Ron Paul can extract Vermin Supreme from the democatic slate if Obama gets impeached before the election.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d_FvgQ1csE

sailingaway
09-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Ron beat Vermin. Even Romney beat Vermin.

are you suggesting Vermin has 50 state ballot access or enough to support Ron getting into the debates with Ron's polling?

If so, I might decide The Boot would make a great vice president.... :p

belian78
09-08-2012, 12:02 PM
What would happen if those people were to have voted for Ron in the Republican primary, you know, where he was actually running? I'm assuming they would have been able to vote in the R primary of course. Would it have helped us at all?

Keith and stuff
09-08-2012, 12:21 PM
What would happen if those people were to have voted for Ron in the Republican primary, you know, where he was actually running? I'm assuming they would have been able to vote in the R primary of course. Would it have helped us at all?

A lot of Democrats wanted to vote for Ron Paul. I was a poll watcher and saw many disappointed Democrats. My guess is a lot more than just these Democrats would have voted for Ron Paul in the Republican Primary in NH had an open primary system. While I didn't hear any disappointed Democrats say they wish they could have voted for Romney, there might have been a few.

Ron Paul won 1 county but was close in 3 others. If Democrats would have been able to vote for Ron Paul in the New Hampshire Republican Primary, my guess is Ron Paul would have won 4 of the counties but still lost the other 6 counties to Mitt Romney. Romney would have still won the state. However, instead of Ron Paul's strong NH Republican Primary performance giving Ron Paul a 70% boost in the South Carolina Republican Primary polls (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/entry.php?530-Paul%E2%80%99s-New-Hampshire-Bump), it would have given Paul an 85%-100% boost in SC.

However, I don't think it would have changed the election more than a few points in SC, FL or NV.

belian78
09-08-2012, 12:38 PM
A lot of Democrats wanted to vote for Ron Paul. I was a poll watcher and saw many disappointed Democrats. My guess is a lot more than just these Democrats would have voted for Ron Paul in the Republican Primary in NH had an open primary system. While I didn't hear any disappointed Democrats say they wish they could have voted for Romney, there might have been a few.

Ron Paul won 1 county but was close in 3 others. If Democrats would have been able to vote for Ron Paul in the New Hampshire Republican Primary, my guess is Ron Paul would have won 4 of the counties but still lost the other 6 counties to Mitt Romney. Romney would have still won the state. However, instead of Ron Paul's strong NH Republican Primary performance giving Ron Paul a 70% boost in the South Carolina Republican Primary polls (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/entry.php?530-Paul%E2%80%99s-New-Hampshire-Bump), it would have given Paul an 85%-100% boost in SC.

However, I don't think it would have changed the election more than a few points in SC, FL or NV.
Thanks for that, I honestly didn't know whether you guys had an open primary or not.

Rebelrouser
09-08-2012, 12:42 PM
When I read the headline I thought it was a link to an onion article. Just shows how insane these primary contests are. Nothing beats the news out of West Virginia, though.

More than 40 percent of Democrats voting chose to cast their ballot for Keith Russell Judd, an inmate at the Beaumont Federal Correctional Institution in Beaumont, Texas, where he’s doing time for extortion and threats made at the University of New Mexico in 1999.

Judd scored 42.28 percent of the vote — or 49,490 votes — compared with President Obama with 57.72 percent, or 67,562, according to unofficial state results.

Neither Mr. Obama nor Mr. Judd – who is in prison – physically campaigned in the state.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/05/prison-inmate-wins-more-than-40-of-democratic-vote-over-president-obama-in-wv-primary/