PDA

View Full Version : Another positive article Ben Swann and the Obama interview

shane77m
09-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Ben is really getting noticed now.

Swann’s report generated a storm of links on Twitter, along with praise from The Huffington Post and civil libertarian journalists like The Atlantic’s Conor Friedersdorf and the Guardian’s Glenn Greenwald.

He also earned high marks from a pair of experts I spoke with on Thursday. Gregory Johnsen, a Near East Studies scholar at Princeton University whose book The Last Refuge: Yemen, al-Qaeda, and America’s War in Arabia will be released soon, called Swann’s interview unusual.

“In an election year dominated by the economy and typical political rhetoric that you hear from both parties, I was surprised to see the issue of drones brought up, especially since it is very popular with the American public,” Johnsen said. “This is an important issue that is largely overlooked, with the exception of only a few national media outlets.”

And Joshua Foust, a fellow with the nonpartisan think tank American Security Project who is leading a new study on the use of drones, said Swann highlighted the subject very capably.

“He raised these issues directly with the president, which few national security reporters have done. He was definitely asking the right kinds of questions,” said Foust, who is also a correspondent at The Atlantic and a former CJR contributor. “In terms of national reporting, I’d like to see more of this in the national press. Actually getting officials on the record is becoming more and more rare.”

The direct questioning of Obama is what made this interview go viral, but this week’s segment was just the latest in a series of kill list-related stories Swann has covered for more than a year, including the first failed attempt by the U.S. to take out Awlaki; the subsequent killing of Awlaki and a companion, Samir Khan, who was also an American; an exploration of the constitutionality of the president ordering the killing of a U.S. citizen; a segment related to other national reports about the kill list, and comments made by former GOP presidential candidate Newt Gingrich during a debate. That history of reporting likely equipped him with the traits that Friedersdorf of The Atlantic observed in the Obama interview: “deep knowledge, reflection, logical analysis, and a willingness to challenge authority.”

http://www.cjr.org/swing_states_project/ohio_reporter_goes_on_attack_over_drones.php?page= all

georgiaboy
09-07-2012, 03:59 PM
link?

shane77m
09-07-2012, 04:02 PM
link?

oops. added link

sailingaway
09-07-2012, 04:02 PM
yeah, link? :p

--

edit-

You can retweet it here: https://twitter.com/usernamenuse/status/244194448978890752

jct74
09-07-2012, 11:48 PM
great article. Ben is badass.

specsaregood
09-07-2012, 11:51 PM
great article. Ben is badass.

yeah, obama certainly didn't win that exchange

jct74
09-08-2012, 12:12 AM
this story got picked up all over the place if you do a google search for 'Ben Swann drone Obama' - Hot Air, Daily Caller, Fox Nation, Politico were some other places to cover it. Article on HuffPo has over 1,400 comments.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/06/ben-swann-local-ohio-repo_n_1861943.html

Feeding the Abscess
09-08-2012, 12:55 AM
Starting to sound like a broken record, but we need more Ben Swanns, not more politicians.

frodus24
09-08-2012, 05:16 AM
The comment section on Huffington Post were just plain horrible. The idiots were calling Ben a traitor, a Republican and a FAUX News correspondent. Of course, "idiots" never really research anything before they post...they just make assumptions. Ben Swann has balls of steel and I am glad that he is gaining momentum and speaking truth!

shane77m
09-08-2012, 06:17 AM
The comment section on Huffington Post were just plain horrible. The idiots were calling Ben a traitor, a Republican and a FAUX News correspondent. Of course, "idiots" never really research anything before they post...they just make assumptions. Ben Swann has balls of steel and I am glad that he is gaining momentum and speaking truth!

The comments on Hufpo are another reason that I don't think there is much hope for this country. Hopefully if things go SHTF the liberty lovers can carve out a section of the country for themselves. I recommend along the gulf coast.

ghengis86
09-08-2012, 06:48 AM
Starting to sound like a broken record, but we need more Ben Swanns, not more politicians.

I completely agree. One real journalist at every NBC/ABC/CBS/FOX affiliate would do wonders. Unfortunately, Ben is extremely rare and I doubt we will be allowed to see such reporting continue, let alone expand, if the network bosses decide they've had enough truth and reality reach their sheeple.

Valli6
09-08-2012, 08:05 AM
The dailycaller even covered this, though it appeared only briefly on the front page, then disappeared in a hurry. Lot's of supportive comments, but no doubt many would hold opposite opinions if the story had been about a republican.
heep://dailycaller.xom/2012/09/05/local-reporter-takes-obama-to-the-woodshed-on-constitutionality-of-kill-list/

georgiaboy
09-08-2012, 08:39 AM
I completely agree. One real journalist at every NBC/ABC/CBS/FOX affiliate would do wonders. Unfortunately, Ben is extremely rare and I doubt we will be allowed to see such reporting continue, let alone expand, if the network bosses decide they've had enough truth and reality reach their sheeple.

Absolutely.

It's the same "get involved" approach to the GOP, but focused on media reporting.

specsaregood
09-08-2012, 09:34 AM

Absolutely.
It's the same "get involved" approach to the GOP, but focused on media reporting.

Dr. Paul suggested exactly this in response to a question in an interview just a year or so ago.

Cowlesy
09-08-2012, 09:46 AM
How do we get Swann considered for a Pulitzer. He *is* the Vanguard of an actual mainstream news reporter doing actual reporting, and trying to get the real story.

angelatc
09-08-2012, 10:10 AM
this story got picked up all over the place if you do a google search for 'Ben Swann drone Obama' - Hot Air, Daily Caller, Fox Nation, Politico were some other places to cover it. Article on HuffPo has over 1,400 comments.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/06/ben-swann-local-ohio-repo_n_1861943.html

Those comments are enough to make me cry.

angelatc
09-08-2012, 10:11 AM
How do we get Swann considered for a Pulitzer. He *is* the Vanguard of an actual mainstream news reporter doing actual reporting, and trying to get the real story.

You have to be nominated by someone on the committee, or a previous winner. Start networking!