PDA

View Full Version : Potential Speakers?

CaptLouAlbano
09-07-2012, 12:37 PM
With the next session of Congress there will be elections for Speaker once again. I am sure that Boehner is going to run for the seat, but of the sitting House members who would be a good challenger to Boehner? We have a lot of new Congressmen that have assumed office in the last few years, many of them "Tea Party" types along with the Liberty candidates that have been elected in 2010 and will be elected this year.

The Speaker generally has some seniority, so I would rule out Amash for that post. But I did come up with a list of potential candidates for the job and thought I could get some insight from all here. If we find someone (or a couple) that we like then we can urge them to run for Speaker and then email our representatives and ask them to support him/her.

Possibilities

Jimmy Duncan (TN)
Dana Rohrabacher (CA)
Walter Jones (NC)
Tim Johnson (IL)

Based on JBS's voting index, all of these guys vote with Paul about 85% of the time or more.

Any thoughts?

tsai3904
09-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Tim Johnson is retiring at the end of this term.

CaptLouAlbano
09-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Didn't catch that one. My mistake. What about the others? Rohrabacher seems like a decent candidate in my opinion, because he is more well known in the House than the others. Years ago Rohrabacher was a libertarian activist. Some of his more recent votes may have no towed the "libertarian line" but he is much better than Boehner for sure.

specsaregood
09-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Jones is a potential good pick. IIRC, Ron credited Walter Jones specifically with getting all the GOP co-sponsors for last years audit the fed bill.

georgiaboy
09-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Sure would be nice if Boehner were challenged, simply due to his role in steamrolling the delegates. Knowing GOP leadership, though, he'll get rewarded.

Keith and stuff
09-07-2012, 01:03 PM
I don't see Republicans wanting another Speaker of the House from the CA left coast. Good luck. Send me a PM or have C4L email me if there is going to be a fight for this and I need to call my Congresscritters.

CaptLouAlbano
09-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Jones is a potential good pick. IIRC, Ron credited Walter Jones specifically with getting all the GOP co-sponsors for last years audit the fed bill.

Sounds like he would make a good whip then too.

RonPaulMall
09-07-2012, 02:33 PM
If this is a fantasy world discussion, then sure Walter Jones is a good pick. But politically, he would have even less chance of being selected Speaker than Ron Paul (if RP weren't retiring). Jimmy Duncan would be an even better fantasy choice, but just as likely to be named speaker as Jones or Paul. As the only one who adheres to Neocon Foreign Policy on your list, Rohrabacher is the only one qualified to run for Speaker in a GOP House with an ideological make up similar to what we are stuck with now. But I don't think getting a slightly better neocon elected Speaker is something we should be spending our time or energy trying to bring about. We need to work on getting more than a handful of Liberty Republicans elected to the House first. Having one of our own elected Speaker is a pipe dream at this point.

CaptLouAlbano
09-07-2012, 02:49 PM
FYI, just because someone is more hawkish on defense than Paul is does not make them a neo-con. You might do well to educate yourself on the origins and ideology of neo-conservatism before you start labeling people as such. Granted there are some FP positions that Rohrabacher holds that do not line up with non-interventionism, but those views alone does not make him a neo-con.

Neo-cons are just one faction of many within the GOP. There seems to be a tendency here to blanket label everyone that isn't a libertarian as a neo-con when that just isn't the case.