PDA

View Full Version : Obama's speech - 8th grade reading level

smithtg
09-07-2012, 06:15 AM
So I was messing around with MS word this morning and ran readability statistics on Obama's speech:

the result:

Averages:

Sentences per paragraph: 2.9
Words per sentence:19.6
Characters per word:4.4

Readability:

Passive Sentences:7%
Flesch reading ease:68.1
Flesch-Kincade Grade level:7.9
so I checked the state of the union 2011 it was a 7.4

ghengis86
09-07-2012, 06:21 AM
I think I would agree that the majority of Americans possess an 8th grade reading level.

CaptUSA
09-07-2012, 06:22 AM
Uh oh, that means it probably went over the heads of 90% of his party.

smithtg
09-07-2012, 06:34 AM
Uh oh, that means it probably went over the heads of 90% of his party.

my thought EXACTLY. Compared to the psycho from MI, he was moderate

and how about Joe Biden's makeup?

staerker
09-07-2012, 07:18 AM
I was always confused by this. It's called good communication skills. Maybe we should try it.

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., ranked third in Congress with the lowest-grade speaking level, at 8.039832522 (hey, they really try to be accurate with these ratings).
http://blogs.courier-journal.com/politics/2012/05/21/sen-rand-paul-speaks-at-8th-grade-level-sen-richard-lugar-at-college-freshman-level-overall-congress-speaks-at-10-6-grade-level-over-the-heads-of-the-average-citizen/

brandon
09-07-2012, 07:23 AM
Flesch-Kinkaid is good for headlines and that's about it.

tod evans
09-07-2012, 07:28 AM
If a person can make their point clearly and succinctly with minimal words they're far more likely to be understood by the masses.

Philhelm
09-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Unfortunately, the target audience consists of morons.

specsaregood
09-07-2012, 07:46 AM
I was always confused by this. It's called good communication skills. Maybe we should try it.

I remember learning years ago that newspapers target an 8th grade reading level as well. Its all about reaching as big of an audience as possible.

July
09-07-2012, 07:50 AM
I remember learning years ago that newspapers target an 8th grade reading level as well. Its all about reaching as big of an audience as possible.

Yes, it's also easier for international audiences who might speak English as a second language, so I think it is probably also done with that in mind.

Philhelm
09-07-2012, 07:54 AM
Let's not try to justify it and give credit where it is not due. The real reason is that most people are fucking morons, so they have to keep it simple (while deceiving them with equivocation and lies, of course).

specsaregood
09-07-2012, 07:56 AM
Let's not try to justify it and give credit where it is not due. The real reason is that most people are fucking morons, so they have to keep it simple (while deceiving them with equivocation and lies, of course).

The funny thing is, it seems everybody thinks most people are morons. Which means we likely have a bunch of morons thinking others are morons; but if they are morons doing the thinking then how can you accurately weigh their opinion?

July
09-07-2012, 08:01 AM

Well it's a downward trend. I think a lot of people would struggle with a speech or newspaper from 100 years ago. Classic novels can take some getting used to too.

Also the English language itself is becoming simpler, and grammar less complex. That happens with other languages as well, over time. It's normal to a certain extent.

tod evans
09-07-2012, 08:03 AM
The funny thing is, it seems everybody thinks most people are morons. Which means we likely have a bunch of morons thinking others are morons; but if they are morons doing the thinking then how can you accurately weigh their opinion?

10pts!

angelatc
09-07-2012, 08:58 AM
If a person can make their point clearly and succinctly with minimal words they're far more likely to be understood by the masses.

I would think that most people speak at about an 8th grade reading level. I have never thought about it, so flame away, now that you have my attention I think I tend ot use words that are more precise in my written work than when I am speaking.

But now that I think about it more, I might use bigger words in a prepared speech.

So...yeah, it was probably dumbed down to give it that "every man, off-the-cuff" feel. He's not trying to legitimately convince us as he's trying to sell us something.

OP - did you run Romney through to see how it scored?

jmdrake
09-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Who here believes Obama actually wrote his own speech anyway?

green73
09-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Really? I thought it was written for fifth graders. Not kidding.

wgadget
09-07-2012, 09:36 AM
I thought it was common knowledge that newspapers (or what's left of them) are written at a fifth grade level. So his speech was really stretching.

Tod
09-07-2012, 10:50 AM

FWIW, the above post was at a 7.2 grade level. :p

brandon
09-07-2012, 10:57 AM
"The flesch-kincaid metric is completely fucking useless."

That sentence is 14th grade level. wtf is 14th grade? I don't remember 14th grade, but I guess I was pretty stoned back then.

NoOneButPaul
09-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Most of everything is written at a 5th-7th grade level.

It's been that way since I was a kid. 8th grade is actually pretty high...

dbill27
09-07-2012, 11:10 AM
I don't know about sentences per paragraph or word per sentance or anything in that regard. But the speech was certainly meant for people with about as much knowledge of economics and policy as the average grade schooler.

RickyJ
09-07-2012, 11:24 AM

I prefer the elite to be morons. With all the resources at their disposal how else are we going to defeat them if they don't make mistakes?

However I would not assume the elite are morons, that could be a deadly assumption.

tttppp
09-07-2012, 11:32 AM
So I was messing around with MS word this morning and ran readability statistics on Obama's speech:

the result:

Averages:

Sentences per paragraph: 2.9
Words per sentence:19.6
Characters per word:4.4

Readability:

Passive Sentences:7%
Flesch-Kincade Grade level:7.9
so I checked the state of the union 2011 it was a 7.4

Who cares? Simplicity is very important when making a speach or presentation. Saying a bunch of big, fancy words doesn't make a better speach.

What we should be evaluating is the substance of his speaches which are usually non existant.

tttppp
09-07-2012, 11:36 AM
I don't know about sentences per paragraph or word per sentance or anything in that regard. But the speech was certainly meant for people with about as much knowledge of economics and policy as the average grade schooler.

Actually his economic policies were more for people with college education. Where else to they teach communist economic principles? What his speaches aren't meant for is for people who can think for themselves.

smithtg
09-07-2012, 01:08 PM
I would think that most people speak at about an 8th grade reading level. I have never thought about it, so flame away, now that you have my attention I think I tend ot use words that are more precise in my written work than when I am speaking.

But now that I think about it more, I might use bigger words in a prepared speech.

So...yeah, it was probably dumbed down to give it that "every man, off-the-cuff" feel. He's not trying to legitimately convince us as he's trying to sell us something.

OP - did you run Romney through to see how it scored?

romneys score

Sentences per paragraph: 2.2
Words per sentence:15
Characters per word:4.3

Readability:

Passive Sentences:4%
Flesch-Kincade Grade level:7.4

nearly the same as obama; fewer passive sentences

Bruno
09-07-2012, 02:44 PM
All part of the plan. Speak above the comprehension level of the voters and they will buy your bullshit while they are enamored with your persona and focuses on the hope of change they cling to.