PDA

View Full Version : Springfield, Massachusetts to pay $575,000 to victim of police brutality

donnay
09-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Springfield, Massachusetts to pay $575,000 to victim of police brutality

See VIDEO (http://www.necn.com/09/06/12/Springfield-Mass-to-pay-575000-to-victim/landing.html?blockID=768875&feedID=11106):

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (AP) - The city of Springfield has reached a $575,000 settlement with a man who was severely beaten by a police officer during a traffic stop.

City attorney John Liebel made the settlement public yesterday following a two-day mediation in U.S. District Court.

Melvin Jones III sued the city and police for civil rights violations, negligence and assault in connection with the beating in November 2009 by Officer Jeffrey Asher. Asher was subsequently fired and sent to jail for 18 months on an assault and battery conviction.

Jones was beaten unconscious with a flashlight, blinded in one eye and had broken bones and teeth. The beating was caught on video.

Asher has said he thought Jones was reaching for another officer's gun.

aGameOfThrones
09-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Asher has said he thought Jones was reaching for another officer's gun.

Of course he did. I mean, the cop has to justify his tyranny somehow.

Origanalist
09-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Did you see the pic of that cop? I know you don't judge by looks but holy shit!

cindy25
09-06-2012, 11:04 PM
surprised it wasn't more

Anti Federalist
09-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Deserves a picture

http://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/415a136cc2_abron_03252008.jpg

DamianTV
09-07-2012, 02:08 AM
The problem with this is that the residents of Springfield, Massachusetts are the ones that pay this fine, not the cops. The cops just take more from its citizens to pay for its wrongdoing, which I think actually encourages even more bad behavior from police. This isnt to say that I dont have a certain ammt of sympathy for the victim. I do believe the victim should be compensated for the wrong doings they received, but it should have come from the cop personally, and not victimize the whole town.

When the Cops are held directly responsible for their own actions without the intervention of their Legal Department's Legal Department, they will start being less brutal towards the rest of us. They need to be made Personally Liable for their actions.

donnay
09-07-2012, 07:36 AM
The problem with this is that the residents of Springfield, Massachusetts are the ones that pay this fine, not the cops. The cops just take more from its citizens to pay for its wrongdoing, which I think actually encourages even more bad behavior from police. This isnt to say that I dont have a certain ammt of sympathy for the victim. I do believe the victim should be compensated for the wrong doings they received, but it should have come from the cop personally, and not victimize the whole town.

When the Cops are held directly responsible for their own actions without the intervention of their Legal Department's Legal Department, they will start being less brutal towards the rest of us. They need to be made Personally Liable for their actions.

I agree. +rep

They have a union and they should have a fund set aside for compensation, when one of their union members goes rogue like this. It would be in their best interest to make sure their union members don't do such heinous acts.

Origanalist
09-07-2012, 07:41 AM

This is never going to happen IMO. It's going to take the citizens waking up to the fact that the police mafia really isn't there to protect them, despite all the propaganda fed to them by the schools and the media.

JK/SEA
09-07-2012, 10:11 AM
screw that....10 million would probably wake the idiot citizens up to clean up the nazi stormtroopers.