PDA

View Full Version : SC-Cop shoots family dog, for, well, no reason, really.

Anti Federalist
09-06-2012, 02:28 PM
No reason I can see other than the dog walked through a hole in the fence.

Dog killed by police, owners outraged

by Brianna Smith
Posted: 39 mins ago

http://www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx?id=797763

A four year old pit bull was shot and killed by Horry County Police on Monday. The family says the dog wouldn't harm anyone, but police say they are responsible to protect the public if they're feeling threatened.

Monday morning, Horry County Police responded to an animal call in the Forestbrook neighborhood.

According to Horry County Police Interim Chief, Saundra Rhodes, "The neighbor was concerned about the safety of himself and his grandkids and because of a possible hole in the fence, the dog could get through, and so the officer wanted to go back and observe the threat itself."

While the officer was in the backyard checking on the hole, Shadow, the pit bull, came through the hole.

"Based on the officers instincts, and based on what the report says, the animal was coming to him in a manner that made him feel threatened," said Rhodes. "And so the officer unfortunately in a matter of seconds, you don't have time to determine whether or not this animal was coming to play with you, but it's my understanding that the animal was not coming up purring or that the animal was coming snarling towards them and the officer did not have an opportunity to gage the friendliness of the animal."

Shadow's owner Jason Carvalho says the dog was like a family member, "he was like one of my children."

Carvalho says he can't believe that his dog would go after anyone.

The police report says that 4 shots were fired, and Carvalho feels like that is too many, but Rhodes doesn't agree.

"I don't believe that 4 shots are excessive," said Rhodes. "I think that most of the time when people lose an animal one shot would be considered too many for them."

Shadow's owners plan to file a complaint with the Horry County Police Department.

Rhodes says she welcomes the chance to sit down with the owners and discuss the incident.

Shadow's owners have set up a facebook page about their pet's death.

Dr.3D
09-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Seems like the easiest way to find out of the dog wants to play is to do just that. Play with the dog, if it starts to bite, then it's time to do what you have to do to stop it from doing so.

jkr
09-06-2012, 02:41 PM
it
was
there

that a good enough reason?

Origanalist
09-06-2012, 02:42 PM
"Based on the officers instincts, and based on what the report says, the animal was coming to him in a manner that made him feel threatened," said Rhodes. "And so the officer unfortunately in a matter of seconds, you don't have time to determine whether or not this animal was coming to play with you, but it's my understanding that the animal was not coming up purring or that the animal was coming snarling towards them and the officer did not have an opportunity to gage the friendliness of the animal."

Every time I read one of these stories, I ask myself the same question. What kind of cowards are these subhumans in uniform that we unwillingly pay to "protect us". The first thought that enters your head when you see a dog is 'shoot it!'.

Really? I wonder how they survive the panic they must feel when they see a teenager?

Anti Federalist
09-06-2012, 03:38 PM
it
was
there

that a good enough reason?

Sorry officer.

Would you like to have a go with my woman before you leave, no "hard" feelings, right?

Philhelm
09-06-2012, 03:40 PM
I wonder how they survive the panic they must feel when they see a teenager?

Easy. Shoot the teenager.

By the way, if all dogs go to heaven, where do the pigs that kill them go?

Anti Federalist
09-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Easy. Shoot the teenager.

By the way, if all dogs go to heaven, where do the pigs that kill them go?

http://howtocookfantasticfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/how-to-cook-bacon1.jpg

bunklocoempire
09-06-2012, 04:19 PM
"The neighbor was concerned about the safety of himself and his grandkids and because of a possible hole in the fence, the dog could get through, and so the officer wanted to go back and observe the threat itself."

Well, from what I gather,

That neighbor has every right to shoot anything invading his property. Good doggy or otherwise.

That neighbor wanted someone else to do his thinking for him.

That neighbor apparently wasn't able to determine a threat to his own safety or those he claims he's responsible for.

That neighbor is nothing more than a non-thinking head of frightened livestock mooing for the rancher to come and bail his ass out.

Now the other neighbor -the owner of the dog apparently loved the dog so much that doggy gets a FB page,

but didn't love doggy so much as to actually act like a human responsible for a dog.

Fail all around.

There aren't any 'neighbors' there, only cattle, and a "reason" for the rancher to claim to exist. :(

EDIT:
The family says the dog wouldn't harm anyone, but police say they are responsible to protect the public if they're feeling threatened.

Ah yes, I wonder if the rancher would address my concerns with the Patriot Act, NDAA, etc. :rolleyes::mad:

enjerth
09-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Dig a hole.

Call the cops.

That'll teach them to let their guests park in front of my house.

Origanalist
09-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Well, from what I gather,

That neighbor has every right to shoot anything invading his property. Good doggy or otherwise.

That neighbor wanted someone else to do his thinking for him.

That neighbor apparently wasn't able to determine a threat to his own safety or those he claims he's responsible for.

That neighbor is nothing more than a non-thinking head of frightened livestock mooing for the rancher to come and bail his ass out.

Now the other neighbor -the owner of the dog apparently loved the dog so much that doggy gets a FB page,

]but didn't love doggy so much as to actually act like a human responsible for a dog.[B]

Fail all around.

There aren't any 'neighbors' there, only cattle, and a "reason" for the rancher to claim to exist. :(

EDIT:

Ah yes, I wonder if the rancher would address my concerns with the Patriot Act, NDAA, etc. :rolleyes::mad:

Oh hell, any animal is capable of escaping. Some are quite accomplished escape artists. You can't even be certain of keeping stupid cows from getting out.

Origanalist
09-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Did the neighbor think to bring this to the owners attention or just call the cops? Were the grandkids there to witness the killing of the dog, and I wonder how he feels about his decision to call them?

Anti Federalist
09-06-2012, 06:55 PM
Did the neighbor think to bring this to the owners attention or just call the cops? Were the grandkids there to witness the killing of the dog, and I wonder how he feels about his decision to call them?

I'd be curious about that as well.

If he knew what he was buying when he called the cops.

Or if he was a douche neighbor, who was happy to see his neighbor's dog shot to death for no good reason.

bunklocoempire
09-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Oh hell, any animal is capable of escaping. Some are quite accomplished escape artists. You can't even be certain of keeping stupid cows from getting out.

I am aware of that. That is the worst thing that can happen when you are responsible for your animals and you take your neighbors property rights seriously.

My worst fear keeping animals is that they get out and wreck my neighbors stuff. I could care less about our animals wrecking our own things.

Ultimately, the only guilt I could find with my neighbor for killing my animals on their property (whether damage caused or not) would be being guilty of being a bad neighbor.

Our five bordering neighbors owe us nothing. We've had animal issues with all five of them.

Yet two of those property owners believe we owe them something by the way they continue to allow their adult children, animals, and neglected forest destroy our property.

Among many other things, I spent a month dealing with one of their billy goats in our yard and our pasture tearing up the place.

After a month of being the best neighbor I could possibly could be, I had to do what I had to do. I didn't have the "rancher" come by and do it for me.

Quite an episode. It's the meth/cock-fighting neighbors if anyone remembers that post. Do what you want to do, just don't wreck my stuff or endanger my family on my property.

My wife and mother-in-law wanted the goat problem "solved" after one week. They're a bit less forgiving. :D

Other than my conscience, faith, and common sense, I didn't owe the 'goat people' a month or even a week of trying to solve their problem for them when it was destroying our property and wasting my time.

Again, I would just hope folks would realize how the 'public dog shooters' get their 'excuses' to show up in the first place.

I don't like it either. It all goes back to the what the state slings 24/7 and the non-thinking humans buy into, respecting some uniform/law 20 minutes away is more important than respecting your neighbor/their property right next door.

Built to fail. :(

Kylie
09-06-2012, 08:14 PM
It's very easy to have a rampant destructive animal find a home in a better neighborhood.

To call the cops on a fucking dog is just being a pussy ass bitch. And this is coming from a woman. Yes, I said it, and I didn't stutter.

This guy's neighbor is a punk ass bitch. I'm 105 lbs and have taken down(without a weapon) pit bulls, german shepards, and a mastiff. The mastiff actually had me scared, and thank god it was cold outside so I was wearing a coat, otherwise I would have damage to my forearm.

Didn't have to shoot anything, ever. A strong presence will usually get the most aggressive of dogs to back up. If not, then be ready to be bitten and wrangle that motherfucker to the ground. I've done it my whole life.

Origanalist
09-06-2012, 09:24 PM
I am aware of that. That is the worst thing that can happen when you are responsible for your animals and you take your neighbors property rights seriously.

My worst fear keeping animals is that they get out and wreck my neighbors stuff. I could care less about our animals wrecking our own things.

Ultimately, the only guilt I could find with my neighbor for killing my animals on their property (whether damage caused or not) would be being guilty of being a bad neighbor.

Our five bordering neighbors owe us nothing. We've had animal issues with all five of them.

Yet two of those property owners believe we owe them something by the way they continue to allow their adult children, animals, and neglected forest destroy our property.

Among many other things, I spent a month dealing with one of their billy goats in our yard and our pasture tearing up the place.

After a month of being the best neighbor I could possibly could be, I had to do what I had to do. I didn't have the "rancher" come by and do it for me.

Quite an episode. It's the meth/cock-fighting neighbors if anyone remembers that post. Do what you want to do, just don't wreck my stuff or endanger my family on my property.

My wife and mother-in-law wanted the goat problem "solved" after one week. They're a bit less forgiving. :D

Other than my conscience, faith, and common sense, I didn't owe the 'goat people' a month or even a week of trying to solve their problem for them when it was destroying our property and wasting my time.

Again, I would just hope folks would realize how the 'public dog shooters' get their 'excuses' to show up in the first place.

I don't like it either. It all goes back to the what the state slings 24/7 and the non-thinking humans buy into, respecting some uniform/law 20 minutes away is more important than respecting your neighbor/their property right next door.

Built to fail. :(

We used to have goats back in the day. They can do some serious damage, you handled it just right. Were they tasty?

heavenlyboy34
09-06-2012, 09:29 PM
I was almost afraid to enter the thread for dread of the horrors I would find...I was not disappointed. :( :mad: Why is it so hard for cops to understand animals?

Origanalist
09-06-2012, 09:33 PM
I was almost afraid to enter the thread for dread of the horrors I would find...I was not disappointed. :( :mad: Why is it so hard for cops to understand animals?

No kidding huh? I dread clicking on some of these, and some of them I just don't.

daviddee
09-06-2012, 09:52 PM

Anti Federalist
09-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Yes, this.

Call it "anguish compliance".

Mr Carvalho, I could not have explained the situation any better than you have.

Law enforcement fully understands that a dog "is like a family member" and "like one of your children".

They also realize that if they kill one of your human family members or children they will have to fill out a whole lot of meaningless paperwork.

Killing your dog accomplishes the same level of anguish as killing a human, but without the paperwork.

Worse yet, the terrorism is institutionalized. No matter where you live, it is SOP to kill your pets.

----
Dear Mr Carvalho, go fuck yourself, we killed your dog
- Local Law Enforcement

Kylie
09-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Yes, this.

Call it "anguish compliance".

I am hoping to see hatred, not compliance, from the people whose dogs have been killed. A deep seated distrust for law enforcement is the lesson these people show take away from a situation like this. Not to coasts and lick the boots of the thugs that killed your pet. I want to see disgust in their eyes, and distrust for anyone wearing that stupidass uniform and badge. Even my children know that they are not to be trusted, so why can't the people who have lost their pets see this?

Anti Federalist
09-07-2012, 11:17 AM
I am hoping to see hatred, not compliance, from the people whose dogs have been killed. A deep seated distrust for law enforcement is the lesson these people show take away from a situation like this. Not to coasts and lick the boots of the thugs that killed your pet. I want to see disgust in their eyes, and distrust for anyone wearing that stupidass uniform and badge. Even my children know that they are not to be trusted, so why can't the people who have lost their pets see this?

Stockholm syndrome.

bunklocoempire
09-07-2012, 02:46 PM
We used to have goats back in the day. They can do some serious damage, you handled it just right. Were they tasty?

Didn't have time/equipment to deal with the goat except for a hole in the ground.

It was a beautiful animal.:(

That's what disgusted me most about that whole situation, or any situation that ends up wasting a good animal.

As for this latest dog shooting, the cop didn't even have to be there. The two neighbors could've should have worked it out reasonably.

Too much to expect I guess when we're living in a time of 'barking dog ordinances'.:rolleyes:

If I've got animals, or if I'm concerned about my neighbors animals, it's my job to simply communicate with my neighbor and address both of our concerns.

Keep those fences mended and keep the cops out of it.

pcosmar
09-07-2012, 03:03 PM
If I've got animals, or if I'm concerned about my neighbors animals, it's my job to simply communicate with my neighbor and address both of our concerns.

Keep those fences mended and keep the cops out of it.

I have dogs, (and cats,bunnies and birds) My neighbor has cows.

My dogs go over and bark at his cows. His cows chase my dogs back.
We talk and laugh about it.

I have had really sucky asshole neighbors.. This is why I avoid cities.

heavenlyboy34
09-07-2012, 03:13 PM
According to Horry County Police Interim Chief, Saundra Rhodes, "The neighbor was concerned about the safety of himself and his grandkids and because of a possible hole in the fence, the dog could get through, and so the officer wanted to go back and observe the threat itself."

Another thing, if the neighbor is that "concerned", why not just block the hole or go next door and talk to the folks on the other side? Seems like the neighbor is more of a nosy asshole than a concerned citizen. In my neighborhood, when something happens like that, you just go ring the neighbor's doorbell and talk about it.

Kylie
09-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Another thing, if the neighbor is that "concerned", why not just block the hole or go next door and talk to the folks on the other side? Seems like the neighbor is more of a nosy asshole than a concerned citizen. In my neighborhood, when something happens like that, you just go ring the neighbor's doorbell and talk about it.

Yes, but you're not a pussy. You not only have the balls to knock on your neighbors door and tell them there's a problem, you would have the balls to deal with the problem if the neighbors will not. So many these days don't even know their neighbors' names, let alone have a confrontation with them over a pet.

Origanalist
09-07-2012, 03:50 PM

Bingo, so simple even a caveman can do it.

Pericles
09-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Occam's Banana
09-07-2012, 04:43 PM

So, let me see if I've got this straight ...
... the cop *did* have enough time to determine that "the animal was coming to him in a manner that made him feel threatened" ...
... and did *not* have enough time "to determine whether or not this animal was coming to play" ...
... and *did* have enough time to determine "that the animal was not coming up purring" (purring - WTF??) ...
... and did *not* have enough time "to gauge the friendliness of the animal" ...
... and *might* or might *not* have had time to determine "that the animal was coming snarling" (because this jackass can't speak English competently) ...

OK. Got it. It all makes sense now. :rolleyes:

The police report says that 4 shots were fired, and Carvalho feels like that is too many, but Rhodes doesn't agree.

"I don't believe that 4 shots are excessive," said Rhodes. "I think that most of the time when people lose an animal one shot would be considered too many for them."

Yeah, nice way to dodge the issue, there - foist the responsibility for your excessiveness on the victim's grief. Asshole.