PDA

View Full Version : Wayne Root to run for Senate as a Republican

erowe1
09-06-2012, 01:16 PM
http://www.independentpoliticalreport.com/2012/09/wayne-root-leaves-libertarian-party-leadership-will-seek-us-senate-seat/

Wayne Root leaves Libertarian Party leadership, will seek US Senate seat
September 6th, 2012 · 55 Comments

To My LNC and Libertarian Party Friends,

I have spent the last 60 days thinking about my political future. I have consulted with many friends and political experts I trust. I have listened to my wife and my family’s wishes. And I have come to an important decision — perhaps among the most important of my life.

Read the rest at the link.

Pisces
09-06-2012, 01:22 PM
What state? I'm skimmed through his letter and saw mentions of Nevada but he never came right out, that I could see, and said which state he will be running in.

Never mind, I read through more carefully and saw that it will be Nevada. He's too late for 2012 so he must be planning on 2016 against Harry Reid. Of course, he'll have to win the primary first.

farreri
09-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Turncoat

erowe1
09-06-2012, 01:23 PM
What state? I'm skimmed through his letter and saw mentions of Nevada but he never came right out, that I could see, and said which state he will be running in.

I assume Nevada. But I also noticed that his statement wasn't very specific about exactly what he planned to do, or where or when.

brandon
09-06-2012, 01:24 PM
I read that whole boring thing and I'm still not sure what whose senate seat he is seeking or when he will run. Here's hoping he doesn't gain any traction.

edit: you guys beat me to it.

angelatc
09-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Heh. The Libertarians don't seem heartbroken.

Brian4Liberty
09-06-2012, 01:26 PM
How many stars should we give him? ;)

brandon
09-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Two stars, and that's being generous.

Pisces
09-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Turncoat

This is why I don't think he'll do well. Ron Paul supporters won't trust him and mainline Republicans will hold his Libertarian Party background against him. Of course, he's got 3 years to try and overcome this. I guess this explains all the Fox editorials he's been writing lately.

Brian4Liberty
09-06-2012, 01:29 PM
The timing of this announcement is interesting.

supermario21
09-06-2012, 01:30 PM
This is not being a turncoat. Wayne Allyn Root will be famous in 4 years for being the man to unseat Harry Reid. He really should have run in 2010. Libertarians are very popular in Nevada, and like he said, he isn't changing any policy positions, just moving his battle into a different arena. For him, it's one he can win, and I am happy he is doing this well in advance of a run. Hopefully this move sparks more libertarians to get involved in Republican politics, and build their campaigns so we can take up the fight on a nationwide basis in government positions, rather than flounder in the irrelevant 4-5% of polls as member of the LP.

farreri
09-06-2012, 01:38 PM
If you are a Republican or a Democrat, you're part of the problem. That's my new motto.

pcosmar
09-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Turncoat

:confused:

How so? Seems from other stuff I had read that he was never a Libertarian to start with..
Just another War loving Zionist.

farreri
09-06-2012, 01:41 PM
:confused:

How so? Seems from other stuff I had read that he was never a Libertarian to start with..
Just another War loving Zionist.
So he was a wolf in sheep's clothing being the LP VP nod? Doesn't surprise me. Good riddance then.

erowe1
09-06-2012, 01:43 PM
So he was a wolf in sheep's clothing being the LP VP nod? Doesn't surprise me. Good riddance then.

Is the LP sheep's clothing? Barr was the top of the ticket. Root fit right in.

That said, I'd probably like to see him in the Senate.

Bruehound
09-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Dondero was a huge fan of WAR. Need I say more?

farreri
09-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Is the LP sheep's clothing? Barr was the top of the ticket. Root fit right in.
Yeah I'm so starting to regret my vote for them, but I justify it as not voting for them, but for the Libertarian Party. At least that's how I justify it so I can sleep at night.

erowe1
09-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Dondero was a huge fan of WAR. Need I say more?

Ouch. You win.

trey4sports
09-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Whatever. Hope he does well. Probably still better than Sharon Angle and the other douche's running in the GOP.

NoOneButPaul
09-06-2012, 01:51 PM
If you are a Republican or a Democrat, you're part of the problem. That's my new motto.

Libertarians aren't even the largest 3rd party in Nevada- perhaps the most libertarian state.

That should tell you something about the legitimacy and seriousness of actually being apart of the LP- they can't even hold their own state among 3rd parties.

Of course he's going to play it smart and run as a Republican, this is how we drive the NeoCons out... not by standing on the sidelines in a party that can't even carry it's own state among 3rd parties.

pcosmar
09-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Yeah I'm so starting to regret my vote for them, but I justify it as not voting for them, but for the Libertarian Party. At least that's how I justify it so I can sleep at night.

This is why I don't belong to any party, nor do I vote party lines.

awhile back, everybody and their brother were claiming to be "libertarian".
Friggin' Glen Beck claimed to be a libertarian.

Hell,, I don't generally call myself a libertarian,, though I fit the definition better than some.
All this Party bullshit just muddies the water.

sailingaway
09-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Well, of course he did.

http://www.unitedliberty.org/articles/11150-wayne-root-leaves-libertarian-party-backs-romney

I can't imagine our folks in Nevada falling for him, though.

sailingaway
09-06-2012, 01:55 PM
You beat me. I have to think our NV Ron Paul supporters know who Root is and won't fall for him. He's a neoconservative. Neolibertarian? Whatever.

AJ Antimony
09-06-2012, 01:58 PM
What's interesting in this letter is that Root doesn't actually talk much about running for office. It sounds like he's more interested in helping the GOP in general. He talks about "winning elections" and "electing candidates" more than he does about his own ambitions.

pcosmar
09-06-2012, 01:59 PM
You beat me. I have to think our NV Ron Paul supporters know who Root is and won't fall for him. He's a neoconservative. Neolibertarian? Whatever.

Opportunist/Political Hack.

Truth in advertising.

Anti Federalist
09-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Wayne Allyn Root Quits Libertarian Party

Posted by Eric Garris on September 6, 2012 11:17 AM

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/120255.html

Good news!

Former Libertarian Party (LP) vice-presidential candidate Wayne Allyn Root has announced he is leaving the LP and resigning his positions with the Libertarian National Committee and Libertarian National Campaign Committee.

Root says he will be running for US Senate as a Republican in the future.

Root has been controversial for his strong support of US wars and belligerent foreign policy. For the last 5 years, Root has been the figurehead for pro-intervention LP members. He had been running for the 2012 LP presidential nomination since 2008 but pulled out earlier this year when it became clear he had little chance of winning.

Since withdrawing his candidacy, Root has spoken about the importance of supporting Mitt Romney for President.

Root has proved to be a major embarrassment for the LP by making a number of pro-war and anti-liberty pronouncements. But many desperate LP leaders have been hesitant to remove him from party leadership positions, pursuing an "open tent" strategy to include non- and pseudo-libertarians.

Bastiat's The Law
09-06-2012, 02:01 PM
This guy strikes me as a power-hungry opportunist. Will not support him in ANY capacity.

kathy88
09-06-2012, 02:06 PM
This is not being a turncoat. Wayne Allyn Root will be famous in 4 years for being the man to unseat Harry Reid. He really should have run in 2010. Libertarians are very popular in Nevada, and like he Ysaid, he isn't changing any policy positions, just moving his battle into a different arena. For him, it's one he can win, and I am happy he is doing this well in advance of a run. Hopefully this move sparks more libertarians to get involved in Republican politics, and build their campaigns so we can take up the fight on a nationwide basis in government positions, rather than flounder in the irrelevant 4-5% of polls as member of the LP.this reinforcing to the mundanes that a third party will NEVER be a viable option. Check. I think it's a dick move myself. And don't go all "Ron did it" on me, these are different and desperate times. Stop feeding the two headed monster.

Brian4Liberty
09-06-2012, 02:19 PM

People like Barr, WAR and even GJ, should not take the votes that they get as Libertarians personally. Really. People are voting for the Libertarian Party and the values that represents. Those candidates are simply placeholders.

supermario21
09-06-2012, 02:30 PM
this reinforcing to the mundanes that a third party will NEVER be a viable option. Check. I think it's a dick move myself. And don't go all "Ron did it" on me, these are different and desperate times. Stop feeding the two headed monster.

Stop feeding the two headed monster? Our government is set up in a way that really can only have 2 viable political parties. How many libertarians have been elected to Congress as members of the Libertarian Party again?? Like one of the earlier posters mentioned, the LP isn't even the 3rd largest party in Nevada. I'm for whatever method gets our message out the quickest and most effective. Languishing in irrelevancy where these forums and dailypaul are the only places where liberty is relevant is not going to do the movement any good.

Austrian Econ Disciple
09-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Well I guess WAR is back where he belongs in the WAR Party. Har Har.

qh4dotcom
09-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Isn't it too late to Root to run in 2016? The economic collapse should have arrived by then.

sailingaway
09-06-2012, 03:19 PM
this reinforcing to the mundanes that a third party will NEVER be a viable option. Check. I think it's a dick move myself. And don't go all "Ron did it" on me, these are different and desperate times. Stop feeding the two headed monster.

WAR is awful, he could poison people on the idea of electing libertarian leaning Republicans. He is the George Bush of the libertarian party.

LibertyEagle
09-06-2012, 03:36 PM
WAR is awful, he could poison people on the idea of electing libertarian leaning Republicans. He is the George Bush of the libertarian party.

Yeah, I never could see any redeeming qualities.

nbruno322
09-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Good lord maybe I just didn't know Root was such a neocon....In case you dont know he ran as the Libertarian VP in 2008 after reading his there is no way I would vote for him or any ticket with him and his interventionist foreign policy. What a shame...

Why Obama has abandoned Israel and Jews should abandon Obama
By Wayne Allyn Root
Published September 04, 2012

Mitt Romney had an interesting, controversial, and completely ignored line during his speech at the Republican National Convention. Mitt said “Obama has thrown Israel under the bus.” Mitt knew something the rest of us didn’t. The story is shocking- as much for the betrayal of one of our strongest allies- as for the timing.

President Obama has gone rogue. As I’ve said for 3 and a half years, the president is no friend of Israel. But I thought his betrayal would be timed for sometime after the election- perhaps on a quiet Thanksgiving or Christmas holiday weekend. The fact he has openly thrown Israel under the bus BEFORE the election is a disturbing sign for Jews (and for all Americans who support the right of our longtime friend and ally Israel to exist). Can you imagine what Obama is capable of after the Presidential election -- if he never again has to answer to Jewish voters?

On Thursday, August 30, Time magazine disclosed that U.S. Joint Chiefs Chairman, General Martin Dempsey, told reporters in London, “I don’t want to be complicit” if Israel chooses to conduct a military strike on Iran’s nuclear facilities. No top general would ever say anything like that without orders from the White House. Those are clearly Obama’s words, not Dempsey’s.

Even louder than the words are the actions of the Obama administration. Time reports that a joint US-Israeli war games exercise was postponed several months ago to show Obama’s displeasure over Israel’s plans to strike Iran’s nuclear facilities. After being re-scheduled for this fall it has suddenly been scaled back,drastically.
[pullquote]
Time reports that “well-placed sources” in both countries have confirmed that the Obama administration has slashed more than two-thirds the number of U.S. troops participating; decided not to send crews to operate Patriot anti-missile systems; and will either cut in half or entirely eliminate the Ballistic Missile Defense warships involved in the exercise.

A senior Israeli official told Time the message the Obama administration is sending is “We don’t trust you.” I would contend the Israeli official is being very diplomatic. The real message is much more brutal: “Good luck Israel. You are on your own.”

Everyone in the Obama administration is aware that an attack by Israel on Iran requires the latest "bunker buster" bombs provided only by the U.S. military. Israel also knows that a pre-emptive strike on Iran (to save itself from the holocaust promised by Iran as soon as it has nuclear capabilities), will result in retaliation from both Iran and Hezbollah. With 40,000+ missiles aimed at Israel from nearby Lebanon, Israel needs not only missile shields, but also military help from the U.S. to protect her civilian population and her very survival.

Even worse, the X-band radar system in the Israeli desert aimed at Iran and linked to Israel’s anti-missile systems, to warn Israel of incoming missiles, is manned by and controlled by U.S. military personnel. Without cooperation from the U.S. military, Israel is literally “flying blind.” The ability to save Israeli civilian lives and shoot down incoming missiles is in the hands of Barack Obama. And his message is clear, “We don't have your back."

Given the cold shoulder Obama has given Israel since his inauguration, it is not a major shock that he is the first US president to refuse to help Israel defend her citizens and national security. What is a major shock is his showing in no uncertain terms his bias against Israel’s right to defend herself BEFORE the election.

The question is “Why?”
Obviously, first is Obama’s true radical nature -- he really is no friend of Israel.
Second, Obama had no choice, but to abandon Israel now. As I've predicted publicly for months now, Israel is assured of no help after the election (if Obama is reelected and no longer has to face Jewish voters ever again). Therefore Israel's best option is to order the attack before the US election, when Obama’s distaste for Israel may be overcome by his desperate need for Jewish votes and Jewish donors to remain in power. -- Netanayu undoubtedly told Obama that he has reached the same decision.

Boxed into a corner, Obama is now doing all in his power to stop the air strike now, stalling it until after the election. And of course, we all know Obama loves to please Russian President Putin. Rumors from sources in both Washington and Moscow report that Putin has asked Obama to handcuff Israel. We all heard Obama tell the Russians “Sit tight and give me space, this is my last election. After my election I have more flexibility.” Unfortunately, it’s now clear one of those "flexible items" is to abandon Israel.

As a Jew and a lifelong supporter of Israel, I would ask my fellow Jews to think long and hard at the voting booth on November 6. Perhaps it is time to consider whether the historic voting patterns of Jews on behalf of the Democratic Party are in the best interests of the Jewish people? Is a vote for Obama, a vote condemning Israel to become a sitting duck in the name of political correctness? Even more importantly, is voting for Obama over social issues, or a woman’s right to choose, worth risking another another Holocaust?

My conclusion: It’s time for Jews to abandon Obama, the same way Obama has abandoned Israel.

httx://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/09/04/why-obama-has-abandoned-israel-and-jews-should-abandon-obama/

GeorgiaAvenger
09-06-2012, 06:39 PM
I'm not a huge fan, but I suspect he would be better than most.

low preference guy
09-06-2012, 06:41 PM
for me, Sharron Angle >>>>>>>>>>>> W.A.R.

HOLLYWOOD
09-06-2012, 07:31 PM
WAYNE ROOT must need power, money, & fame... He'll sell out to TPTB, he got a taste of NEOCON on FOX, so he's ready.

Root is an embarrassment #GOP may be starting early to dilute the vote again... Corrupt Clark county vs the rest of Nevada.

sailingaway
09-06-2012, 07:54 PM

same here, and not because I'm keen on her, particulary

The Dude
09-06-2012, 08:12 PM
He'll probably be a better Senator than most. As far as I'm concerned I think he'd be a great replacement over Reid.

erowe1
09-06-2012, 08:25 PM

Interesting. Why is that?

sailingaway
09-06-2012, 08:29 PM
He'll probably be a better Senator than most. As far as I'm concerned I think he'd be a great replacement over Reid.

He makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

RonPaulFanInGA
09-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Heh. The Libertarians don't seem heartbroken.

They should, their party membership just declined 1.388% with this announcement.

Bastiat's The Law
09-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Before you can get to specific policy differences you have to be able to trust the person. I don't trust Root. He just makes me feel dirty every time I hear him speak or read something he wrote. He's garbage.

FrankRep
09-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Turncoat
Ron Paul is a Republican.

The Dude
09-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Before you can get to specific policy differences you have to be able to trust the person. I don't trust Root. He just makes me feel dirty every time I hear him speak or read something he wrote. He's garbage.

Do you trust Harry Reid? Sure, Root is sleazy and I certainly won't be donating to his campaign, but if he unseats Harry Reid, isn't that a gain, however small for liberty? I certainly don't think Root is a hardcore neocon like McCain or Lieberman.
http://www.rootforamerica.com/Issues.html

Shotdown1027
09-06-2012, 09:59 PM
They should, their party membership just declined 1.388% with this announcement.

Um, how do you figure?

Wayne leaving was good for all parties involved.

cindy25
09-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Ron Paul ran as the Libertarian candidate for president in 1988, and then for congress again as a Republican

the party does not matter, its just a vehicle. I am just afraid Root is by his recent statements becoming neo-con

jkob
09-06-2012, 11:15 PM
Jeez, him leaving the LP makes them just that more attractive. He had been saying he was going to run for president as a Libertarian for a while so I guess he gave that up.

Peace&Freedom
09-06-2012, 11:25 PM
The LP's experiment with taking in politicians with an apparent neo-con history like WAR and Barr was premised on the idea that the party was open to accepting people who were evolving into consistent Libertarians. In the short run, it was felt we could benefit reputation wise from attracting 'serious' people who had experience getting elected to high office (Barr), or had other gifts (Root has a Prof. Harold Hill or Bill Clinton-like 'spellbinder' speaking style, especially when experienced in person).

Longer term, they were expected to complete their evolution over to our mindset. Alas, neither ever fulfilled that 'Damascus Road' promise. But it's not as if the LP turned down such people from even trying, which no doubt would have brought the LP criticism in the other direction, as a party that was hyper-exclusionary and unable to give potentially major converts a chance.

QWDC
09-06-2012, 11:31 PM
I hope a real liberty candidate soundly beats him in the 2016 senate primary. Does Nevada have any liberty talent? Since RP supporters control the GOP I'd say so.

Feeding the Abscess
09-07-2012, 12:28 AM
This is why I don't belong to any party, nor do I vote party lines.

awhile back, everybody and their brother were claiming to be "libertarian".
Friggin' Glen Beck claimed to be a libertarian.

Hell,, I don't generally call myself a libertarian,, though I fit the definition better than some.
All this Party bullshit just muddies the water.

Sean Hannity claimed to be a libertarian, as did Bill O'Reilly. I'm not kidding.

Raudsarw
09-07-2012, 04:54 AM
I absolutely loathe Root. He has no understanding of liberty at all. He is pro-business, not pro-liberty. Unprincipled hack.

KingNothing
09-07-2012, 05:01 AM
Opportunist/Political Hack.

Truth in advertising.

This announcement certainly does explain some of the absurd, hacky, Republican-pandering, nonsense he's put out lately.

WAR is a complete zilch to me. If he wins, which he won't, he'll have a chance to change my opinion, which he won't.

KingNothing
09-07-2012, 05:03 AM
Sean Hannity claimed to be a libertarian, as did Bill O'Reilly. I'm not kidding.

Yep. They always say they're "libertarians" and "conservatives" which is odd because they almost always fall right in line with a Republican party that is in nearly every instance extremely un-libertarian and un-conservative.

Brian4Liberty
09-07-2012, 10:43 AM
I absolutely loathe Root. He has no understanding of liberty at all. He is pro-business, not pro-liberty. Unprincipled hack.

Yep. They always say they're "libertarians" and "conservatives" which is odd because they almost always fall right in line with a Republican party that is in nearly every instance extremely un-libertarian and un-conservative.

Hannity, O'Reilly, WAR... Is there a sub-type of libertarian called "Gordon Gekko libertarians"?

trey4sports
09-07-2012, 11:09 AM
W.A.R. is unique in the sense that he is pretty hawkish on foreign policy (on par with McCain and Bush) but yet he is much better on domestic policy.

Bastiat's The Law
09-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Do you trust Harry Reid? Sure, Root is sleazy and I certainly won't be donating to his campaign, but if he unseats Harry Reid, isn't that a gain, however small for liberty? I certainly don't think Root is a hardcore neocon like McCain or Lieberman.
http://www.rootforamerica.com/Issues.html
Not really. I prefer my enemies out in the open then I can see them coming for me. Root seems the type that would stab you when you turn your back. Plus he would damage our "liberty brand".