PDA

View Full Version : Unlikely allies unite for Paul's quixotic '08 bid

0zzy
11-19-2007, 12:34 AM
http://washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071119/NATION/111190062/1001

By Stephen Dinan - PHILADELPHIA — They are crusty Iowa farmers enticed by doing away with the income tax, libertarian-minded college students in heavy-metal band T-shirts, antiwar Republicans looking for a champion, and folks worried about the Federal Reserve Board and paper money.

They say they are the disaffected in politics, and this year they are finding a political home with Ron Paul, the congressman from Texas who is shaking up the Republican presidential contest with phenomenal fundraising and the potential to convert that into enough votes to be a spoiler come January.

Pretty decent.

Sematary
11-19-2007, 12:36 AM
Pretty soon he's going to have enough money that he won't be the "spoiler" any more, unless you're talking about spoiling the entire field by having him come in first. :)

JosephTheLibertarian
11-19-2007, 12:37 AM
Why would they be "unlikely allies"? that just doesn't make any sense.

Ron Paul Fan
11-19-2007, 12:39 AM
We need more crusty Iowa farmers enticed by doing away with the income tax! The Iowa Caucus can be ours if we can pool them together with all the college students in AC/DC T-Shirts, the antiwar Republicans look for a champion of the Constitution, and folks justly worried about the Federal Reserve and printing money out of thin air! Ron Paul will shake up the contest and convert enough votes to be a WINNER in January! You are so right Mr. Cornfield! December 16th will be a historic day and the start of a movement!!!!!!

goRPaul
11-19-2007, 12:42 AM
Libertarian-minded students in heavy metal band T-shirts

I've been stereotyped.

Qiu
11-19-2007, 12:45 AM
potential to convert that into enough votes to be a spoiler come January.
What's with all this spoiler business? Spoiler for who? Is there some candidate out there who is so similar to Paul that we'd ruin his chances? I don't understand why the press keeps calling Paul a spoiler. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

JosephTheLibertarian
11-19-2007, 12:46 AM
I think it'd be a spoiled economy if anyone BUT Ron Paul wins.

0zzy
11-19-2007, 12:47 AM
What's with all this spoiler business? Spoiler for who? Is there some candidate out there who is so similar to Paul that we'd ruin his chances? I don't understand why the press keeps calling Paul a spoiler. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

rofl I thought the same thing.

"Yep, he's really going to spoil those other anti-war Republicans who oppose the Federal Reserve and believe in small government! ...wait."

Ron Paul Fan
11-19-2007, 12:47 AM
It means he's going to spoil the race by WINNING!!!

mavtek
11-19-2007, 12:48 AM
I like the last sentence, that's for sure!

Spirit of '76
11-19-2007, 01:36 AM
We need more crusty Iowa farmers enticed by doing away with the income tax!

My thought exactly. :D

Who's he calling "quixotic", anyway? :cool:

Voice
11-19-2007, 01:49 AM
Thats their word for "eccentric." They use it to make him sound less Republican.

Spirit of '76
11-19-2007, 01:53 AM
Thats their word for "eccentric." They use it to make him sound less Republican.

They use it to make it sound like he can't win.

Wonder how they like their crow prepared...

me3
11-19-2007, 02:03 AM
I've been stereotyped.
So long as you listen to your AC/DC in stereo, the stereotype holds true. :D

My thought exactly. :D

Who's he calling "quixotic", anyway? :cool:
I am getting a little tired of the Don Quixote references in the media. :rolleyes:

Corydoras
11-19-2007, 02:48 AM
There are so many articles that paint the grassroots as completely off the wall, and in comparison this article was friendly-- I'm happy with it.

But yeah, that "quixotic" thing has got to go. Better than "long-shot," but not as good as "maverick."

MozoVote
11-19-2007, 07:09 AM
I like that article. The writer was skeptical, but not smarmy and snide as we've seen so often.

davidhperry
11-19-2007, 07:42 AM

I think calling RP a "spoiler" indicates the natural progression of the campaign. The press actually lags public opinion because they only report on things that they think people want to watch/read. That's why less press attention doesn't bother me as much as others since media coverage is a lagging indictor of where the public is really at. (I still want more media attention though.)

The media is getting warmed up to Dr. Paul and coming to grips with him. As you remember, he received no coverage in the early days. After a few of the debates, he was sort of a novelty, an interesting "human interest story" to tell. With the good fundraising numbers, he's know been promoted to being a "spoiler." As we raise even more money, the media with then realize how much support he really has. That point probably won't come until the Tea Party numbers come in or if he continues to gain in the polls. It might not even come until he surprises everyone with how well he does in the early primaries.

RPatTheBeach
11-19-2007, 07:50 AM
Maybe I'm out of the loop... but can someone explain to me what a "crusty farmer" is?

RTsquared
11-19-2007, 09:02 AM
I actually don't mind the term 'quixotic'.

1) You'd be surprised how many people don't know the origin of the term, nor what it means. I consider my wife to be pretty doggone intelligent, and when I mentioned 'tilting at windmills' to her the other day, she looked at me befuddled.

2) Call me crazy, but I'd much rather vote my conscience (regardless of the consequences) than vote for the lesser of two evils. I guess that makes me quixotic in my own way.

quickmike
11-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Why would they be "unlikely allies"? that just doesn't make any sense.

I guess they dont see "crusty farmers" and college students with Korn T-shirts as typical allies. The farmer probably says to himself "Ah, the kid likes corn!!! Too bad he cant spell it right."

Welcome to Ron Paul.

Spirit of '76
11-19-2007, 11:57 AM
I guess they dont see "crusty farmers" and college students with Korn T-shirts as typical allies. The farmer probably says to himself "Ah, the kid likes corn!!! Too bad he cant spell it right."

Welcome to Ron Paul.

lol

constituent
11-19-2007, 12:00 PM

Hurricane Bruiser
11-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Great article IMO and front page on the website in large font.