PDA

View Full Version : Thrid Party/Indy Hype Thread (Jay Leno)

1stAmendguy
09-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Paraphrasing Ron Paul in the debates: "I don't plan on running third party but I haven't ruled anything out. I don't believe in absolutes."

So you're telling me there is a chance Ron Paul?!?! :)

Look I just got home from work and have no plans for tonight. With all the rumors flying about Ron Paul considering a LP/Indy run and announcing it on Leno the suspense is killing me. Call me a wishful thinker all you want but the likelihood that Ron won't do it is not going to stop me from holding out hope that he will. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way tonight.

So, I've created a thread for us "wishful thinkers" :p to just have some fun in tonight. All of you are welcome. Let's build the enthusiasm about the possibility and speculate about its implications if anything just for shear enjoyment. Post your positive thoughts about the chance of this becoming a reality and what will become of it. All of you who want to enlighten us about the slim chance of this happening, we understand. Just don't troll us and crash our party tonight, there is the official thread for that.:toady:

Wouldn't it be epic if this happened?

Who's with me?

Third Party/Indy FTW!!!

Okie RP fan
09-04-2012, 04:56 PM
I have one question for everybody who has been speculating and hoping for a third party announcement:

Why would they hold a "thank you, and farewell" rally in Tampa with republiCAN plastered everywhere?

Serious question deserves serious presentation, :cool:

sailingaway
09-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Unless the LP offered him the top of the ticket -- which a recent editorial makes it sounds like didn't happen, I can't see why he'd be in a position to announce this quickly from when he was asked last week.

I wish I saw a practical way he could be enticed without the top of the LP ticket, but I can see where he'd want to make sure there was a real goal involved, and he would need at least a shot at enough ballot access to make the debates. I don't know if the ballots CP doesn't have are ones WE could get, in the time remaining, to get to that number, but in any event, I haven't heard ANY rumors about CP changing the lineup, only Gary implying LP might change their rules to get Ron as VP, which wouldn't be worth it.

But if I'm wrong, I'll be delighted to be wrong.

sailingaway
09-04-2012, 05:01 PM
I have one question for everybody who has been speculating and hoping for a third party announcement:

Why would they hold a "thank you, and farewell" rally in Tampa with republiCAN plastered everywhere?

Serious question deserves serious presentation, :cool:

Because they were still hoping for fair treatment by RNC at that point?

rp08orbust
09-04-2012, 05:04 PM
If the LP ticket were to become Johnson-Paul, what would happen if Johnson were to later step down?

While I'm not enthusiastic about Johnson-Paul, it could be a stepping stone to Paul at the top of the ticket, couldn't it?

tangent4ronpaul
09-04-2012, 05:05 PM
A ReasonTV correspondent tweeted earlier that it was confirmed no announcement tonight.

The latest from Evan Cutler from Alaska...

"I have it on high authority with the Libertarian Campaign that they are open to Dr. Paul as VP, and will poll their state organizers, leaders and executive committee to make sure there is agreement, should Dr. Paul accept our plea"

-t

Okie RP fan
09-04-2012, 05:05 PM

Really? Did we and the campaign honestly believe it'd be given to us? All of the signs were there that the convention was going to be a power grab.

I have some ocean front property in Arizona I'd like to sell to any of you who honestly believed for one second that the RNC was going to show us any favor.

jmdrake
09-04-2012, 05:06 PM

Yeah. That was before they got manhandled by the TSA trying to leave Tampa. I'd love it if Ron Paul announced a third party run and listed this as one of the reasons why. Sadly I don't think it will happen. :(

tangent4ronpaul
09-04-2012, 05:06 PM
If the LP ticket were to become Johnson-Paul, what would happen if Johnson were to later step down?

While I'm not enthusiastic about Johnson-Paul, it could be a stepping stone to Paul at the top of the ticket, couldn't it?

Yes. That is the only way to get Paul the prez slot. If GJ stepped down now, his VP would become the Prez candidate.

-t

sailingaway
09-04-2012, 05:07 PM

No, because if Ron accepted that what incentive for Gary to step down? And it wouldn't make debates because when they poll Johnson against Obama and Romney, Johnson pulls 1%.

It just isn't worth it, and would be a demotion for Ron with no goal in sight.

sailingaway
09-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Really? Did we and the campaign honestly believe it'd be given to us? All of the signs were there that the convention was going to be a power grab.

I have some ocean front property in Arizona I'd like to sell to any of you who honestly believed for one second that the RNC was going to show us any favor.

I think the campaign wrongly was hoping if they were good boys and played the game, they'd be rewarded. Then Ron put up 6 states and the RNC changed the rules to require 8 states to be in nomination, and PRETENDED a voice vote carried that sure didn't sound as if it had, to do so.

Okie RP fan
09-04-2012, 05:11 PM
I think the campaign wrongly was hoping if they were good boys and played the game, they'd be rewarded. Then Ron put up 6 states and the RNC changed the rules to require 8 states to be in nomination, and PRETENDED a voice vote carried that sure didn't sound as if it had, to do so.

Well, I suppose I could understand that explanation. But, it isn't in Ron's nature to turn around and announce a third party run, in my opinion.

NoOneButPaul
09-04-2012, 05:14 PM

It was pretty clear by that point that the treatment would not be fair...

It's a great point that Okie makes.

RickyJ
09-04-2012, 05:15 PM
I think the campaign wrongly was hoping if they were good boys and played the game, they'd be rewarded. Then Ron put up 6 states and they changed the rules, and PRETENDED a voice vote carried that sure didn't sound as if it had, to do so.

Yeah, Ron seemed thoroughly disgusted with them as seen in his comment to the reporter asking him about the GOP and him saying with passion in his voice, "It's not MY party" and then saying for the most part parties are irrelevant. That to me is a big sign that Ron Paul is more than a little mad at the GOP and maybe, just maybe, might be willing to run on a third party ticket. I don't know if this has anything to do with the way his delegates were treated at the GOP, but Ron Paul did not even stay to hear his son give a speech at the RNC Tuesday. That was surprising.

jene277
09-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Since this is just for fun and wishful thinkers, here is my scenario:

Ron is given the top spot on the LP ticket and polls high enough to get into the debates. He then awakens enough Americans that he wins the Presidency and the LP becomes a viable party in future elections. This in turn gives us a new place to focus our energy and a platform for all liberty minded candidates, making the GOP a totally dead party! It's a win-win for us, for Ron, for Rand, Amash, etc.....but especially for the country and the world!

I know that is exactly what is going to happen in some alternate universe out there. :)

rp08orbust
09-04-2012, 05:17 PM
It was pretty clear by that point that the treatment would not be fair...

It's a great point that Okie makes.

Ron Paul had to be pretty pissed off to not even stick around to hear his son's speech.

NoOneButPaul
09-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Also, i'm almost positive the tonight show has filmed already. If Ron was going to announce a 3rd party run someone from the crowd would have tweeted it by now and it would be trending all over the internet.

He's not running 3rd party because he wants us to stay in the GOP.

sailingaway
09-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Well, I suppose I could understand that explanation. But, it isn't in Ron's nature to turn around and announce a third party run, in my opinion.

I don't think nature has to do with it, he thinks he has a duty to spread information. But I'm not saying he's going to, as it turns out the LP was NOT chomping at the bit to offer him the top slot it seems less and less likely. Supposedly GJ had said he'd step aside etc etc. Barring that it would be tough to make it constructive.

I was just saying Ron had plenty of reason to get pissed SINCE then. Also I am 99.9% certain no one vetted RepubliCAN by him.

sailingaway
09-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Also, i'm almost positive the tonight show has filmed already. If Ron was going to announce a 3rd party run someone from the crowd would have tweeted it by now and it would be trending all over the internet.

He's not running 3rd party because he wants us to stay in the GOP.

I don't think he'd announce it there if he were. I think he was just going on to discuss the RNC. He was denied a speech. When he was denied a debate in 2007, Leno had him on.

RickyJ
09-04-2012, 05:22 PM

He had no plans to endorse anyone in 2008, but Bob Barr not attending his third party press conference like he said he would, and his constant pestering finally pushed him over the edge to make an endorsement and that was Chuck Baldwin.

After seeing what the GOP has done to him regarding the rule changes at the last minute and now what they are trying to do in Maine, I think that might be just enough to push him over the edge to run third party.

Kodaddy
09-04-2012, 05:26 PM
It's nice to have such a once-in-a-lifetime, honorable statesman of integrity to wake us up and lead us to the idea of liberty in our lifetime. But, we have been shown the way and now must take the training wheels off and ride on our own. Sure, it's easier to follow than to lead, but no one said this would be easy. Do the man the honor of taking the reins from his hands and leading the way for those not quite awoken to the cause of freedom.