PDA

View Full Version : I don't put much stock in MSN stories, but this one caught my attention:

nobody's_hero
09-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Full story:

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/04/13656880-first-thoughts-the-enthusiasm-gap?lite

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- If there's a theme to tonight's speaking lineup here at the first day of the Democratic convention, it's a nod to all the important voting and demographic blocs of the Obama coalition. Women? You have First Lady Michelle Obama, HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, and Lilly Ledbetter. Latinos? Keynote speaker Julian Castro and Rep. Xavier Becerra. African Americans? The first lady and Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx. Why is tonight's coalition night so important for Democrats? Because they are facing an enthusiasm gap -- at least compared to 2008 -- with these voting blocs. In the Aug. 2012 NBC/WSJ poll, just 52% of voters under 35 and only 49% of Latinos expressed high interest in the upcoming election, which was down about 20 points for both groups at this same point in ’08. That said, almost all voting segments in the poll -- Democrats and Republicans alike -- aren’t as interested as they were in 2008.

I'm taking it with a "grain of salt," as they say, but I don't think there's much of a future for either the DNC or the RNC.

LibertyEagle
09-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Full story:

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/04/13656880-first-thoughts-the-enthusiasm-gap?lite

I'm taking it with a "grain of salt," as they say, but I don't think there's much of a future for either the DNC or the RNC.

Maybe, but those who vote will keep voting for them as long as they are the only ones talked about on TV, and the only ones in televised debates.

CaptUSA
09-04-2012, 11:08 AM
I think the PTB like low interest just fine. If it were up to them, they'd like it if nobody voted. It would make it so much easier to do what they are going to do anyway. And with low interest, it makes it a hell of alot easier for the incumbents to get re-elected. When interest is high, the costs of rigging things goes up.

I don't know anyone who didn't vote for Obama in 2008 that is planning on voting for him now. The good news for him is that I know lots of people who don't care who wins and may not even cast a vote.

tangent4ronpaul
09-04-2012, 11:47 AM
This is really sounding like a perfect storm!

If only Paul would jump back in for a third party run...

-t