PDA

View Full Version : My take on the RNC -- nobody could ever explain why the rule change was needed

NCGOPer_for_Paul
09-03-2012, 05:03 PM
This was my first national RNC. I've been watching these things since I was 9 years old (1980), and to be honest, outside of a few speeches, and the ramrodding of rules changes that do nothing to grow the party, there was very little that was memorable about this convention. Where were the witty chants? Where was the love for the nominee? Don't think I've ever seen such lukewarm acceptance of a GOP nominee EVER. Only reason Thursday night was even close to being a rousing reception for Romney was because in a show of "unity", most Ron Paul and Rick Santorum delegates gave their credentials to Romney alternates and GUESTS.

Unfortunately, due to the weather forecasts, I decided to skip the Ron Paul events on Sunday. I wasn't sure if my wife (guest) could have eaten, or kept safe at Whiskey Joe's if the rain and wind came. I'm upset I wasn't able to go. We did attend the RNC welcome event. We had a damn good time, and something even more shocking. After having some good conversations with people, I let them know I was a Ron Paul delegate. It was like I had three heads...kind of like, how can a 20 year vet of GOP politics support that guy? But, through talking, it was pretty obvious that we AGREED on abouy 85-90% of the issues. EVEN FOREIGN POLICY! One couple was from St. Charles County, MO and witnessed the "riot". They agreed that the cops we way out of control. They know Brent Stafford, and actually said to me, if more Ron Paul supporters were like you and your wife and Brent, he's get a lot further. Basically, the "hate" toward Ron Paul isn't at Ron, it's at "20 something crazies who bark at normal folks and think they can take everything over without paying their dues." Didn't want to fight that, as I felt I avdanced the cause with at least getting some people to think rationally about Ron's positions. After about 3 hours and way too many free drinks, we just sat back and enjoyed Rodney Atkins.

On Monday, that's when we (delegation) found out about the rules changes. It appeared as if we were united in opposition...until a sham of a meeting in the afternoon where our state chairman acted in a way that was unbecoming of a chairman and a former Congressman. An hour long debate ensued where Morton Blackwell (A CONSERVATIVE ICON) was treated like a common peon, and neither of our representative to the rules committee could tell anyone why the rules changes were a good idea...yet NC voted against the minority report something like 33-9. Yes, not all of our duly elected delegates attended the convention. Even our State Senator (my rep) who was on the rules committee could not give a good reason for the rules change, but because it doesn't really affect North Carolina, he had no problem with it. I called him naive, and while it may not affect NC, it has a profound effect on the way the PARTY selects candidates. He agreed that it COULD change, but then agreed to disagree about the impact.

On Tuesday, we all know what happened there, and I won't rehash that display of Soviet government. I stayed on the floor all day Tuesday. Have to confess, I like Chris Christie, and thought he delivered a pretty good speech. Others were generally forgetful.

On Wednesday, started on the floor for Ron's video and Rand's speech. I went to our alternates and pled with someone to take my spot on the floor. NOBODY WANTED TO. Went up to the third level and watched some with my wife up there. Walked around a little, talked to other Ron Paulers, the media, and some other people. By 10, I said the hell with it and went back down to a half-empty floor to be sickened by Condi Rice. Floor started to fill up, but many neo-cons were UPSET that they were filling the floor with guests and media! I did like Paul Ryan's speech as he at least paid some lip service to the debt and spending issues. Some ass from the BBC tried to get me to say something negative about the speech, but I refused.

Thursday, I gave my credential to my District Chairman. My wife was bumped from Guest to Alternate and we sat in the Alternate section. I happened to think Clint Eastwood delivered the best performance of the convention. Rubio was decent. Romney, nothing inspiring.

All in all, I had a better time meeting people from around the country. Minnesota, you guys were fun to hang out with!

Have to say the bus transportation SUCKED. We did not get to as many parties as we should have. Again, just part of the whole damper that was put on the event.

I will say though, that many in the party are receptive to Paul's message...it just seems like leadership has people hostile towards Paul, but they don't even know why. I HOPE I changed some hearts and minds this past week.

Ken Nelson,
North Carolina At-Large Delegate

wgadget
09-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Wow, interesting write-up! Thanks for posting.