PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to field a party question?

opal
09-03-2012, 10:16 AM
I grew up in a very political family. Mom was the conservative party chairman (woman) and did a few terms as the treasurer for our county.. dad was the regional chairman - 9 counties. I was doorbell ringing as a young teenager for Jim Buckley (RIP) and doing a lot of the booth sitting at local county fairs and such.

When Carter got elected.. I guess between being a little older.. wanting to rebel against the parents and such, I got away from politics - until Ron Paul.

Can someone tell me what the heck happened to the Conservative Party??? I just did a search for it and found nothing.. in 3 pages of results.

Working Poor
09-03-2012, 10:24 AM
IMO when Goldwater got shot down for president when he ran against Johnson Bush and Cheney slipped in and for ever changed the republican party

opal
09-03-2012, 10:37 AM
My dad campaigned for Goldwater.. the guy is six foot seven.. during the Kennedy motorcade in Schenectady NY, he got on his hands and knees (in his work suit) and put a Goldwater bumpersticker on the tail car in the motorcade

yep.. gotta love old politics

erowe1
09-03-2012, 10:41 AM
I grew up in a very political family. Mom was the conservative party chairman (woman) and did a few terms as the treasurer for our county.. dad was the regional chairman - 9 counties. I was doorbell ringing as a young teenager for Jim Buckley (RIP) and doing a lot of the booth sitting at local county fairs and such.

When Carter got elected.. I guess between being a little older.. wanting to rebel against the parents and such, I got away from politics - until Ron Paul.

Can someone tell me what the heck happened to the Conservative Party??? I just did a search for it and found nothing.. in 3 pages of results.

Weren't they pretty much always confined to New York?

And aren't they still there?

A couple years ago there was the big news congressional race where Hoffman ran with the Conservative Party and almost won and the Republican dropped out and endorsed the Democrat.

opal
09-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Well that would explain it.. just a NY party :)

we moved south when I was 17

thanks for the info.. it was starting to make me twitch

Shotdown1027
09-03-2012, 03:47 PM
"Can someone tell me what the heck happened to the Conservative Party??? I just did a search for it and found nothing.. in 3 pages of results. "

I can help. We post about the Conservative Party occasionally at IPR (http://www.independentpoliticalreport.com). If you go there and search for "Conservative Party", you'll get a few hits.

The party is confined to New York, as another poster said. Its success is almost entirely tied to the GOP these days, but James Buckley won his election to the US Senate solely on their line. Someone mentioned Doug Hoffman, too, who ran a Conservative Party campaign and placed a close second. Mostly, though, Conservative Party candidates are fusion-nominated by the GOP too. This means there name appears on the ballot twice and their vote totals are added up.

oyarde
09-03-2012, 04:07 PM
That would be what Shawn Hannity would be reg.'ed at , New York , is correct , I think.

oyarde
09-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Looks , like , 148k , or 1 percent of the states total.

Shotdown1027
09-03-2012, 10:13 PM
oyarde--they swing a lot more weight than that, though. No Republican has been elected to statewide office without a Conservative Party ballot line.

angelatc
09-03-2012, 10:15 PM

Google Irving Kristol.

oyarde
09-03-2012, 10:34 PM
oyarde--they swing a lot more weight than that, though. No Republican has been elected to statewide office without a Conservative Party ballot line. I am sure they do have more wt. than that , because I have known a few years ago and am highly aware that they were active and donors , and I am sure they all vote ? , avg reg voters , nationwide , about 40%.