PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul as Treasury Secretary - change anything?

agaiziunas
09-02-2012, 06:04 AM
Oh what fun things he could do as Treasury Secretary.... just dreaming for a bit.. I'd much prefer Ron Paul on a 3rd party run for POTUS and in the debates, but if nothing else were to pan out, imagine what he could potentially accomplish in this cabinet spot:

NO NEW MONEY OUT OF THIN AIR
- Refuse to sign (or have his signature applied to) Federal Reserve Notes unless an equal amount is being destroyed (replacing damaged notes)
- Refuse to sell treasuries to the Federal Reserve, effectively ending debt monetization and its ability to fix interest rates

REVOLUTIONIZE THE TAX SYSTEM
- Refuse to collect or enforce income tax (now that VAT is part of the GOP platform, as income tax replacement)

RE-INTRODUCE THE PUBLIC TO SOUND MONEY
- Re-introducing silver coins in smaller denominations and more appropriate face value
- Re-introducing gold coins in smaller denominations and more appropriate face value

So a fun, hypothetical question -- would you vote for Romney or Johnson if either one of them were to name Ron Paul as their future Secretary of the Treasury?

kathy88
09-02-2012, 07:05 AM
I'd rather see him get Bernanke's job so he could eliminate it :) Talk about putting your money where your mouth is.

agaiziunas
09-02-2012, 07:14 AM
I'd rather see him get Bernanke's job so he could eliminate it :) Talk about putting your money where your mouth is.

Agreed.. but I believe the Fed Reserve chairman can only be selected from those currently serving/sitting in the Board of Governors.... either one would still require a Senate approval (simple majority) so I wouldn't let a "promise" of a cabinet post sway MY vote (could always be a fake promise... nominate, but then GOP establishment would say NO, weasel their way out of the promise that way..)

But one can dream :-) I'm still holding out for a 3rd party run though.

acptulsa
09-02-2012, 07:18 AM
The better Rmoney's promises sound, the less I believe them.

Seems like I was laughing at a bunch of people four years ago for believing a candiate who said something about peace in our time. Sure enough, no peace, no attendant prosperity. No, I don't think I'm going to become the same brand of sucker and fool I was jeering at before...

Would Rmoney really stab us in the back that way? Judging from the knives we already have in our backs, well, I'd have to say oh hell yes.

09-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Convention is over Ron didn't endorse Romney and isn't going to. There is no promise of any position on the table.

Origanalist
09-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Would Rmoney really stab us in the back that way? Judging from the knives we already have in our backs, well, I'd have to say oh hell yes.

This.

affa
09-02-2012, 10:00 AM
No. Romney can not get my vote.