PDA

View Full Version : SC-Cop shows up at wrong house to serve papers, shoots, kills tethered family dog.

Anti Federalist
09-01-2012, 04:34 PM
So, let's get this straight...

Cop shows up uninvited and unannounced to serve papers on some guy who doesn't live at the home, trespasses, walks past "Beware of Dog" sign and shoots the tethered dog, because, you know, the collar might have come off and he might have gotten bit.

And nothing happens to him.

He was in plain clothes.

If some guy in street clothes walked up on my property, uninvited and unknown, pulled out a sidearm and shot my dog, I'd have blasted him.

And imagine what would happen next.:mad:

Sheriff defends deputy who responded to wrong house, killed tethered dog

August 30, 2012

http://www.examiner.com/article/sheriff-defends-deputy-who-responded-to-wrong-house-killed-tethered-dog

The Spartanburg County Sheriff's Office announced Thursday that it would not be pursuing disciplinary action against a deputy who fatally shot a tethered dog earlier this week.

Richard Woodruff was inside his Spartanburg, S.C. home Monday morning when he heard barking followed by a gunshot. The man rushed outside to check on his 8-year-old shepherd mix, Diamond, who had been playing out front while tethered to the porch railing.

"I ran outside and I see this guy standing over my dog holding a gun," Woodruff told Channel 7 news. "'I said, 'Why did you shoot my dog?' And his response to me was, 'Sir, she tried to bite me.' I said, 'She tried to bite you? She can't go any further to get you!'"

According to Woodruff, the dog was at the limit of her tether and could not advance any further when she was shot by plain-clothed deputy Eric Boutin. "All he had to do was take a couple of steps back and she could not have bitten him," Woodruff said in the Channel 7 interview.

Woodruff also pointed out the "Beware of Dog" sign attached to an oak tree on his lawn. The man states that the deputy parked his car in front of the sign and then walked right past it.

Following Diamond's shooting, Woodruff learned that the deputy had come to the property to serve child support papers on a man who did not live there. As a matter of fact, Woodruff says that he has lived in the home for five years and has no idea who the man is.

Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright has expressed remorse over the incident, but states that Deputy Boutin will not be punished for the shooting of Diamond. Wright justified the shooting by saying that there was a chance the tether could have slipped off which would have resulted in Boutin being bitten.

Diamond's bereaved owner is not satisfied with the department's response and does not believe that his tethered 35 pound dog posed a serious risk to the deputy. He plans on pursuing legal action against the department.

DGambler
09-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Seriously, what's up with all the police shooting dog story's lately? Has this always happened and people are just now taking notice? Or is it something more nefarious?

CaptUSA
09-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright has expressed remorse over the incident, but states that Deputy Boutin will not be punished for the shooting of Diamond. Wright justified the shooting by saying that there was a chance the tether could have slipped off which would have resulted in Boutin being bitten.
How long until we hear something like, "I'm sorry I shot your husband, ma'am, but there was a chance he would have gotten up off the couch and hit me with that lamp."?

truelies
09-01-2012, 04:43 PM
And imagine what would happen next.:mad:

You would have needed the help of a friend with rural acres and a backhoe.

tod evans
09-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Get a rope.

Anti Federalist
09-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Seriously, what's up with all the police shooting dog story's lately? Has this always happened and people are just now taking notice? Or is it something more nefarious?

For the past three years, I have been using one simple search term in Google news: "Police shoot family dog".

I think they are getting more common, and more blatant.

But then again, I'm a blowhard and a coward, so it could just be me rabble rousing.

Make your own judgement.

Origanalist
09-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Let me piss you off a little more;

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/67/0e/1346381039_5859_diamond.jpg

looks vicious no?

youngbuck
09-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Cop's dog is considered an officer, citizen's dog should be considered a citizen. The cop should be dealt with as a murderer.

youngbuck
09-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Let me piss you off a little more;

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/67/0e/1346381039_5859_diamond.jpg

looks vicious no?

Wow... you have got to be kidding me.

Anti Federalist
09-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Cop's dog is considered an officer, citizen's dog should be considered a citizen. The cop should be dealt with as a murderer.

You're funny, Mundane.

Origanalist
09-01-2012, 05:00 PM
Wow... you have got to be kidding me.

Nope, from the link.............

Iptay
09-01-2012, 05:04 PM
This is from my beloved state. *sighs*

presence
You're funny, Mundane.

On the subject of mundane... these "cop shoots dog" threads are getting so mundane I have to double take whether I read "this one" or not....

"tethered" is the word that set today's apart.

presence

Travlyr
Won't be long before the cowards start shooting attack cats.

presence
09-01-2012, 05:07 PM
You would have needed the help of a friend with rural acres and a backhoe.

*glances out window at dynahoe in the pasture*

Anti Federalist
09-01-2012, 07:10 PM
On the subject of mundane... these "cop shoots dog" threads are getting so mundane I have to double take whether I read "this one" or not....

"tethered" is the word that set today's apart.

presence

I try to make the headlines reflect as accurately I as can what happened.

Helps me to keep them straight as well.

Anti Federalist
09-01-2012, 07:16 PM
In response to reps and comments, yes, I have rural acres and a backhoe too. :mad:

pcosmar
09-01-2012, 07:17 PM
I try to make the headlines reflect as accurately I as can what happened.

Helps me to keep them straight as well.

Where is our "if the dog was on a leash" apologist?

Oh well,, knocking down one argument at a time.

:(

pcosmar
09-01-2012, 07:18 PM
In response to reps and comments, yes, I have rural acres and a backhoe too. :mad:

No backhoe of my own..

I do have a pond.

Anti Federalist
09-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Where is our "if the dog was on a leash" apologist?

Oh well,, knocking down one argument at a time.

:(

Rael?

Banned.

I'm sure there are others.

thehungarian
09-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Won't be long before the cowards start shooting attack cats.

Yikes. No lie, not five minutes ago I got off the phone with a friend and we were joking about the local MEG Unit tapping our phones and raiding my house and shooting my vicious cat.

I think what upsets me most about these stories is that the offending officer is rarely, if ever, punished. They pull out all the stops to excuse and justify the officer's reckless behavior.

Anti Federalist
09-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Yikes. No lie, not five minutes ago I got off the phone with a friend and we were joking about the local MEG Unit tapping our phones and raiding my house and shooting my vicious cat.

I think what upsets me most about these stories is that the offending officer is rarely, if ever, punished. They pull out all the stops to excuse and justify the officer's reckless behavior.

Circular.

Force.

Continuum.

cubical
09-01-2012, 08:37 PM
So when the guy sues the county and wins, the taxpayers foot the bill for this guys stupidity and he just goes to work the next morning?

Anti Federalist
09-01-2012, 08:56 PM
So when the guy sues the county and wins, the taxpayers foot the bill for this guys stupidity and he just goes to work the next morning?

Ummm, yup.

Philhelm
09-02-2012, 08:56 AM
The dog should have been inside the house, and not on the King's Lawn.

The Officer's job is stressful, having to interact with people like you and me, so mistakes are to be expected.

The Officer is sorry.

The Officer did not see the tether and was forced to make a judgment call, adhering absolutely to Officer safety protocol.

The canine failed to obey Officer commands and the Officer was forced to use escalation of force in order to gain compliance.

The Resident should have paid the child support of the Citizen for whom the Warrant was written.

Anti Federalist
09-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Dead dog bounce.