PDA

View Full Version : 7-year veteran of the Des Moines Police Department dies in hot car.

aGameOfThrones
08-31-2012, 08:27 PM
Officials in Iowa are investigating the cause of death of a police dog that was left in a patrol car on a hot Wednesday afternoon.

The Labrador retriever, named Harley, was a 7-year veteran of the Des Moines Police Department, NBC station WHO reported.

Officials were unsure whether the car's air conditioning was on, if any windows were rolled down or how long the yellow lab was in the car,*The Des Moines Register reported.

The incident occurred Wednesday afternoon, according to CBS station KCCI. Des Moines' recorded high temperature Wednesday was 95 degrees,*according to The Weather Channel.

Police say Harley was paired with Officer Brian Mathis on the department's vice and narcotics unit.

"What we know is that when he came back to the car, his partner of seven years had died," Des Moines Police Sgt. Chris Scott told the Register.

Officials said Mathis had no history of handling the dog poorly, according to the Register, and Des Moines police have eight other K-9s.

"[Harley's] investigations have taken a lot of drugs off the streets," Scott told CBS station KCCI. "Harley was not a stranger to anybody down here. We lost a fellow officer who just happened to be a dog."
Scott said officials were determining whether criminal charges would be filed, WHO reported.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/31/13594511-iowa-police-dog-dies-after-being-left-in-des-moines-patrol-car?lite

angelatc
08-31-2012, 08:33 PM
Well, I believe that since the PD considers their canines to be humans, he needs to be charged with manslaughter. Same as if I left my baby in my car.

Icymudpuppy
08-31-2012, 08:35 PM
Well, I believe that since the PD considers their canines to be humans, he needs to be charged with manslaughter. Same as if I left my baby in my car.

No doubt. If one of us had killed a police dog, we'd be getting charged with murder.

youngbuck
08-31-2012, 08:58 PM

100%

oyarde
08-31-2012, 09:17 PM
I think it uncivil that they have and use attack dogs ,and abuse people and the animals , so effing good riddance .

Zippyjuan
08-31-2012, 09:26 PM
Labrador retrievers are attack dogs?

Icymudpuppy
08-31-2012, 09:30 PM
Labrador retrievers are attack dogs?

Not usually. They are primarily used as drug sniffers. Which makes sense that
Police say Harley was paired with Officer Brian Mathis on the department's vice and narcotics unit.

puppetmaster
08-31-2012, 09:46 PM
This does not happen if the drug war was non existent

XNavyNuke
08-31-2012, 09:47 PM
No doubt. If one of us had killed a police dog, we'd be getting charged with murder.

Bingo! +1 Rep. If a mere peasant takes the life of one of the king's men (or animal in this case), its a capital offense.

XNN

oyarde
08-31-2012, 11:00 PM
Labrador retrievers are attack dogs? Mine never were , they retrieved my dinner , but, I am not looking for weed or to brutalize and incarcerate people who have done no harm ,good riddance , hope nobody gives them another...

oyarde
08-31-2012, 11:23 PM
If all police dogs were put down , I am good with that , if they never get more . I love dogs , those are not dogs , they are the animal world version of something sinister , made so by the evil people who do it.