PDA

View Full Version : There's no dichotomy here!

Suzu
08-31-2012, 02:51 PM
No one has to "leave the GOP" to support Gary Johnson (http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/) for one election. I say we go full-steam ahead with GJ and forget about writing in Ron Paul. Those votes won't count anyway. Sorry if you don't like it, but that's the way it is!

You know who Ron Paul is going to endorse. He has all but said it already. So what the heck are you waiting for?? Send GJ some bux for his campaign (http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/). We've got catching up to do!!

No1butPaul
08-31-2012, 02:52 PM
No one has to "leave the GOP" to support Gary Johnson (http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/) for one election. I say we go full-steam ahead with GJ and forget about writing in Ron Paul. Those votes won't count anyway. Sorry if you don't like it, but that's the way it is!

You know who Ron Paul is going to endorse. He has all but said it already. So what the heck are you waiting for?? Send GJ some bux for his campaign (http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/). We've got catching up to do!!

Hopefully he will make it official on September 4th when he has his "announcement" on Leno.

sailingaway
08-31-2012, 02:54 PM
The difference between the number who vote and the number who vote for a named candidate is a number that exists and we can spread just as much as a third party candidate number. I don't want to vote for GJ, he isn't my candidate and doesn't appeal to me. If he does you, great, vote for him, but I think write ins can be tracked as 'no confidence votes' just by doing some subtraction.

Lovecraftian4Paul
08-31-2012, 03:07 PM
Exactly. I'm happy to support Bills for Senate here in MN, along with a local liberty candidate for state House, but I will probably vote for Johnson at the top.

2013-2015 is a good time to roll back into the GOP takeover process. Well, assuming the Romney/Ryan hypnotism has worn off after they lose. The apathetic can't be bothered to show up to Caucuses and party elections during the off election years. Seems like it's all about the numbers and our GOTV.

jmdrake
08-31-2012, 03:13 PM
The difference between the number who vote and the number who vote for a named candidate is a number that exists and we can spread just as much as a third party candidate number. I don't want to vote for GJ, he isn't my candidate and doesn't appeal to me. If he does you, great, vote for him, but I think write ins can be tracked as 'no confidence votes' just by doing some subtraction.

Yeah...you keep saying that and ignoring where people point out obvious holes in that argument. But let's assume everything goes your way math wise. Let's assume that nobody votes for Robomney writes in or skips candidates further down the ballot. Let's say you get your "magic number". And then what? Well tell it to each other so that we can back slap ourselves? Ralph Naders 2000 numbers were spread by the media. The idea that he denied Gore the presidency itself became a story. Hey, you can't stomach Gary Johnson or Virgil Goode, I understand. But to pretend the right in Ron campaign has any strategic is a farce IMO.

jllundqu
08-31-2012, 03:19 PM
Really, SailingAway.... 54,131 posts? Whatever will you do when Ron retires?? ;)

sailingaway
08-31-2012, 03:19 PM
Yeah...you keep saying that and ignoring where people point out obvious holes in that argument. But let's assume everything goes your way math wise. Let's assume that nobody votes for Robomney writes in or skips candidates further down the ballot. Let's say you get your "magic number". And then what? Well tell it to each other so that we can back slap ourselves? Ralph Naders 2000 numbers were spread by the media. The idea that he denied Gore the presidency itself became a story. Hey, you can't stomach Gary Johnson or Virgil Goode, I understand. But to pretend the right in Ron campaign has any strategic is a farce IMO.

I disagree with the argument the other way which just keeps being repeated over and over. IMHO it doesn't get any more persuasive with repetition.

jmdrake
08-31-2012, 03:25 PM
I disagree with the argument the other way which just keeps being repeated over and over. IMHO it doesn't get any more persuasive with repetition.

Well the proof is in the historic evidence. I know that people have made a big deal over a third party candidate beating the difference between the two candidates. Your historical evidence of anyone taking note of the difference between the overall vote and the presidential vote is........? Also how do you make a convincing case that all of the votes that weren't cast for president would have gone to Paul? It's pretty obvious that anyone who votes for Gary Johnson or Virgil Goode would have voted for Ron Paul. But each presidential cycle Mikey Mouse and Goofy get write in votes.

porchdog
08-31-2012, 03:25 PM
who would talk about it, fox LOL, but a possible viable 3rd party option, what a contribution to liberty we could achieve, this is how I intend to utilize my vote and ask that you all join me.

Suzu
08-31-2012, 03:54 PM
If you're still unconvinced, read this:
http://www.dailypaul.com/252471/quantify-the-movement-the-case-for-gary-johnson

Respect38
08-31-2012, 04:23 PM

Except, because most states wouldn't count a Ron Paul vote, that number is going to have to literally be a blind guess. See the official 2008 results, and less than 10 states keep a count for Ron Paul. The majority of states didn't, and won't this year.

If we are successful in pushing Gary Johnson further in the media, then people might actually pay attention to Gary Johnson's "number". But it's not an automatic thing. We have to get people (Ron Paul people in particular) into it NOW so that we can actually get that name where it will be paid attention to in November.

Plus, I don't really understand why Gary Johnson doesn't appeal to you. Not because he doesn't have any questionable areas, but because he's given YOU several opportunities to question him to his face, in the comfort of your home. In both of the video sessions that he's done, he's answered questions, not just text, but from the voice of the questioner, which, to me, should mean so much more to everyone. Do you guys know about that? If you did, did you take advantage of it? Well, if not, I feel it's everyone's fault for him holding these controversial feelings or controversial reasons for typical libertarian things.

08-31-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm voting GJ and will stay registered GOP.

Indy Vidual
08-31-2012, 04:50 PM

GJ into the debates would be a net gain, even though he's not perfect.
Please donate today.

sailingaway
08-31-2012, 04:56 PM
Except, because most states wouldn't count a Ron Paul vote, that number is going to have to literally be a blind guess. See the official 2008 results, and less than 10 states keep a count for Ron Paul. The majority of states didn't, and won't this year.

If we are successful in pushing Gary Johnson further in the media, then people might actually pay attention to Gary Johnson's "number". But it's not an automatic thing. We have to get people (Ron Paul people in particular) into it NOW so that we can actually get that name where it will be paid attention to in November.

Plus, I don't really understand why Gary Johnson doesn't appeal to you. Not because he doesn't have any questionable areas, but because he's given YOU several opportunities to question him to his face, in the comfort of your home. In both of the video sessions that he's done, he's answered questions, not just text, but from the voice of the questioner, which, to me, should mean so much more to everyone. Do you guys know about that? If you did, did you take advantage of it? Well, if not, I feel it's everyone's fault for him holding these controversial feelings or controversial reasons for typical libertarian things.

I'm fine with a result that says 'none of the above' although in CA I can probably get Ron as a certified write in choice.

CUnknown
08-31-2012, 06:03 PM
No one -has- to leave the GOP, but it's the right thing to do! Let their old, corrupt cheating party die.

CPUd
08-31-2012, 06:17 PM
I get that manipulating the undervote is a strategy a lot of you don't understand. It is more complicated than just "everybody go vote GJ". I've tried to explain it several times, but maybe this video will do a better job at helping some of you understand the motivation behind it :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXKGiEiVtIc

John F Kennedy III
08-31-2012, 06:34 PM
Really, SailingAway.... 54,131 posts? Whatever will you do when Ron retires?? ;)

Reach 100,000 posts before Ron runs in 2016?

John F Kennedy III
08-31-2012, 06:35 PM
I'm fine with a result that says 'none of the above' although in CA I can probably get Ron as a certified write in choice.

Do it please. I know I made a thread about it but I have no idea how to do it.

I would love to see how many write in votes he can get here in Cali :)

Suzu
08-31-2012, 09:40 PM
No one -has- to leave the GOP, but it's the right thing to do!It's what they wish we would do.

Let their old, corrupt cheating party die.It's old, corrupt, cheating members who WILL die. Let's wait them out. Maybe we can give a bunch of them heart attacks and brain explosions by getting a massive turnout of Gary Johnson voters!

Dark_Horse_Rider
08-31-2012, 09:44 PM

and the vision in the lake ? ;)

sailingaway
08-31-2012, 09:46 PM
Do it please. I know I made a thread about it but I have no idea how to do it.

I would love to see how many write in votes he can get here in Cali :)

A dozen or so of us have to file as electors, file notorized paperwork, by October something. That's pretty much it.

CPUd
08-31-2012, 09:49 PM
A dozen or so of us have to file as electors, file notorized paperwork, by October something. That's pretty much it.

Would you be campaigning for yourself, or does it say "Ron Paul (electors)" on the ballot?

John F Kennedy III
08-31-2012, 11:39 PM

Thanks. I would do it but I doubt I will still be in Cali then. I'm sure we can find 12 people :)

Suzu
09-01-2012, 01:46 PM
and the vision in the lake ? ;)Visions, premonitions and such are future projections of the outcome of a then-current course. They only come to pass if conditions continue developing along the same lines.

erowe1
09-01-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm pretty sure he's not going to endorse GJ.
If he does, just let him do that in his own time. It's not like it makes a difference if someone here decides whom to vote for now rather than in November.