PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question:can Romney resign from a candidacy and just outright offer it to Ron Paul?

Akus
08-31-2012, 01:37 PM
I know that won't happen, but I'm talking strictly in theory, would it violate any RNC election rules?

nobody's_hero
08-31-2012, 01:39 PM
I don't think he's done crashing and burning yet. At this point, I have to entertain the possibility that Romney was paid to take the fall, rather than the establishment risking Ron Paul winning. Not ready to allow that, the GOP RNC did things so *obvious* (the teleprompter, for instance) in twisting this convention out of shape that there is no way he could win in November.

And you know better than to ask about the rules. :p

tsai3904
08-31-2012, 01:49 PM
From the RNC rules:

RULE NO. 9
Filling Vacancies in Nominations

(a) The Republican National Committee is hereby authorized and empowered to fill any and all vacancies which may occur by reason of death, declination, or otherwise of the Republican candidate for President of the United States or the Republican candidate for Vice President of the United States, as nominated by the national convention, or the Republican National Committee may reconvene the national convention for the purpose of filling any such vacancies.

(b) In voting under this rule, the Republican National Committee members representing any state shall be entitled to cast the same number of votes as said state was entitled to cast at the national convention.

(c) In the event that the members of the Republican National Committee from any state shall not be in agreement in the casting of votes hereunder, the votes of such state shall be divided equally, including fractional votes, among the members of the Republican National Committee present or voting by proxy.

(d) No candidate shall be chosen to fill any such vacancy except upon receiving a majority of the votes entitled to be cast in the election.