PDA

View Full Version : My Take on the Eastwood Speech

CaptUSA
08-31-2012, 08:15 AM
Pretty freaking' smart!

It may have looked like a rambling old man spouting off, but there was some deep planning involved there.

1. Obama in an empty seat - symbolizing that you can project anything you want onto him. He doesn't really exist except for what people want him to be.
2. When "Obama" did have things to say, they were nasty. "Don't question me... go f**k yourself..."
3. The mussed up hair (reminiscent of Doc from Back to the Future) was a character. The senile old man that just couldn't understand all this complex stuff - just wants it to be simple.
4. "Oprah was crying" - people had such high hopes for you, but you haven't done squat.
5. "Whatever interest you have in getting people back to work, it's not strong enough" saying it's only to get elected - not to really help people.

Then he hit OUR issues!
6. Closing Gitmo - You promised to do that, but didnt. And you gave us the phony excuse of pretending to try terrorists in downtown NYC. When people freaked, it made it easier to keep it open. And why not? We spent so much money on it? But Clint is calling him on the BS! And at the GOP convention!
7. "Good that you didn't like Iraq, but you thought Afghanistan was ok?! Maybe ask the Russians how that was going to turn out." And in front of the GOP! He got them to cheer for it! Just like Ron Paul got SC to cheer for legalizing heroin!
8. Biden's a moron!
9. "Attorneys shouldn't be President. They're always bifurcating." He's saying the President likes arguing too much and likes to divide people on two sides and pitting those sides against each other. - brilliant!
10. Step aside and let someone do the job that can do it - instead of some hypocrite who wants the perks like flying around and people thinking he's important.
11. We OWN this country. They work for us!
12. Then he does something pretty cool... He gets it away from politics by recognizing that every few years politicians from every party just try to get your votes. They come and pander, make promise, and lie. But when it gets down to it, it's not about them, it's about us. And when someone's not doing their job, we have to fire them.

The whole thing was like a show for simple people - the low-info voter. Eastwood is incredibly smart. His direction, and even his acting, demonstrate this. He put on a performance! Some people may have thought he was out of his mind, but he was perfect! He got the message out that the President is worthless and still got the Republicans a couple of times with back-handed slaps. And they laughed about it!

This was absolutely the BEST part of the entire convention.

Lucille
08-31-2012, 08:18 AM
Ron liked it! http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?388287-Ron-Paul-Recants-The-GOP-Just-Says-No-To-Keynesians&p=4618365&viewfull=1#post4618365

Travlyr
08-31-2012, 08:37 AM
I agree. Clint Eastwood gave a brilliant speech.

I thought I would go ahead and add the new "Tampa Treason" meme to this thread too.

http://s18.postimage.org/6dfhmbl55/eastwood_chair2.jpg

Kodaddy
08-31-2012, 08:56 AM
9) "Attorneys shouldn't be presidents"
Doesn't Romney have a law degree from Harvard? Nice, Clint!

wgadget
08-31-2012, 08:57 AM
Pretty freaking' smart!

It may have looked like a rambling old man spouting off, but there was some deep planning involved there.

1. Obama in an empty seat - symbolizing that you can project anything you want onto him. He doesn't really exist except for what people want him to be.
2. When "Obama" did have things to say, they were nasty. "Don't question me... go f**k yourself..."
3. The mussed up hair (reminiscent of Doc from Back to the Future) was a character. The senile old man that just couldn't understand all this complex stuff - just wants it to be simple.
4. "Oprah was crying" - people had such high hopes for you, but you haven't done squat.
5. "Whatever interest you have in getting people back to work, it's not strong enough" saying it's only to get elected - not to really help people.

Then he hit OUR issues!
6. Closing Gitmo - You promised to do that, but didnt. And you gave us the phony excuse of pretending to try terrorists in downtown NYC. When people freaked, it made it easier to keep it open. And why not? We spent so much money on it? But Clint is calling him on the BS! And at the GOP convention!
7. "Good that you didn't like Iraq, but you thought Afghanistan was ok?! Maybe ask the Russians how that was going to turn out." And in front of the GOP! He got them to cheer for it! Just like Ron Paul got SC to cheer for legalizing heroin!
8. Biden's a moron!
9. "Attorneys shouldn't be President. They're always bifurcating." He's saying the President likes arguing too much and likes to divide people on two sides and pitting those sides against each other. - brilliant!
10. Step aside and let someone do the job that can do it - instead of some hypocrite who wants the perks like flying around and people thinking he's important.
11. We OWN this country. They work for us!
12. Then he does something pretty cool... He gets it away from politics by recognizing that every few years politicians from every party just try to get your votes. They come and pander, make promise, and lie. But when it gets down to it, it's not about them, it's about us. And when someone's not doing their job, we have to fire them.

The whole thing was like a show for simple people - the low-info voter. Eastwood is incredibly smart. His direction, and even his acting, demonstrate this. He put on a performance! Some people may have thought he was out of his mind, but he was perfect! He got the message out that the President is worthless and still got the Republicans a couple of times with back-handed slaps. And they laughed about it!

This was absolutely the BEST part of the entire convention.

And it was completely ad lib...I wonder how he managed to get past the Mitt screeners? I hear there were some nervous security guards. LOL

wgadget
08-31-2012, 09:00 AM
He never really came out and said MITT ROMNEY FOR PRESIDENT, either.

mz10
08-31-2012, 09:01 AM
I wonder how he managed to get past the Mitt screeners?

Maybe there was a script and he just ignored it. That would be a very Clint Eastwood thing to do.

donnay
08-31-2012, 09:02 AM
Don't forget he made it a point to say you don't have to vote for the "nice guy" (How Mitt is portrait) either.

Yes, I thought is was very brilliant on his part indeed. Appeal to the simpleton.

donnay
08-31-2012, 09:05 AM
9) "Attorneys shouldn't be presidents"
Doesn't Romney have a law degree from Harvard? Nice, Clint!

Yes he does, but it was said he never used it.

Lucille
08-31-2012, 09:16 AM
Go, Clint!
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/119579.html

Why is everyone, including the Romuluns, dissing Clint Eastwood this morning? First, because his segment was the only interesting moment during the entire Republican convention.
[...]
This was the only non-warmongering foreign policy comment in Tampa, and, worse, one that mentioned the otherwise banned word, Afghanistan. It even garnered some cheers from that mostly bloodthirsty crowd. Oh, and he mentioned another dread word, Libertarian.

More at the link

Todd
08-31-2012, 09:20 AM
Problem is he attributes all the solutions to these points as Romney.

georgiaboy
08-31-2012, 10:01 AM
I liked it. He kept it real. Very Ron Paulish, I'd add. And to that point, on purpose, I like to think.

I can see how it would be jolting to folks, however, after all the days and nights of teleprompter verbatim reads and shiny polished delivery.

Also, let's face it, Clint in real life, off script, is different than his "man of few but powerful words" on screen personas a la Josey Wales and the High Plains Drifter.

CaptUSA
08-31-2012, 10:22 AM
Problem is he attributes all the solutions to these points as Romney.Really?! I didn't catch that. He did say something like let's hope they can do better, and maybe we should try a businessman. But it was more of an anti-Obama/anti-politics performance piece. Not even a speech.

LibertyEagle
08-31-2012, 10:34 AM
Don't forget he made it a point to say you don't have to vote for the "nice guy" (How Mitt is portrait) either.

Yes, I thought is was very brilliant on his part indeed. Appeal to the simpleton.

Yeah, I LOVED that part. :D

Todd
08-31-2012, 10:36 AM
Really?! I didn't catch that. He did say something like let's hope they can do better, and maybe we should try a businessman. But it was more of an anti-Obama/anti-politics performance piece. Not even a speech.

I think you are correct.

ZENemy
08-31-2012, 10:44 AM
LOL

What does Clint know? How does he have any political credibility? I don't get why I would ask him anything about the world, politics or life in general, cause he been in a movies, has money, he knows something about my life?

This country is SICK when a HOLLYWOOD actor makes a speech and NOT a 30 year congressmen with REAL answers.

GeorgiaAvenger
08-31-2012, 11:02 AM
It was awesome when he said bring the troops home tomorrow. That was a Ron Paul talking point.

Yeah, these people are supporting the GOP candidates. That is because they see them as better than Obama, which they are, the question is how much.

They should have got Chuck Norris to speak too. He is well aware of the nwo.

CaptUSA
08-31-2012, 11:11 AM
It was awesome when he said bring the troops home tomorrow. That was a Ron Paul talking point.Good point... He said:

"You gave that target date, and I think Mr. Romney asked the only sensible question, you know, he says, “Why are you giving the date out now? Why don’t you just bring them home tomorrow morning?”
But I don't remember Romney ever saying that... I think it was Ron Paul. Can anybody find where Romney ever suggested such a thing?! Maybe this was Clint telling us Ron Paul was the only sensible one.

*ETA...What Romney said on Feb 2nd: “Why in the world do you go to the people that you’re fighting with and tell them the date you’re pulling out your troops? It makes absolutely no sense.” I don't see the "bring them home tomorrow" reference

Aratus
08-31-2012, 11:54 AM
There is an irony to this. A poster at InTrade found a news story that said Clint Eastwood was a last minute replacement.
They had reshuffled around speakers ostensively because of the chaos created by Isaac, but if the 10 minute gap was to
be handed to Dr. Ron Paul where the good doctor was supposed to get on board the bandwagon, thanks Mister Eastwood!

CaptainAmerica
08-31-2012, 11:59 AM
If (thats a big if) Romney wins, lets see what Clint has to say about him years from now. Other than his endorsement of Romney,it was a good speech

Aratus
08-31-2012, 12:04 PM
flat out, it looks like doctor ron paul refused to be right before marco rubio and backing the ticket to the hundred percentile but he could have...!

i thought that when i listened to clint eastwood i was hearing echoes of george carlin's nightclub act or even a bit of lenny bruce's merciless wit!

CaptUSA
08-31-2012, 06:45 PM
Incredible. I turned on the cable news tonight (yeah, I know, I must be a masochist...;)) and nobody seems to get it. They viewed a genius at work and their little minds couldn't comprehend. But you know what? They are all talking about it. More people will see it than would have saw it had he just given a regular rah rah speech.

And his messaging was crystal clear. Observers will pick up on the messaging even if they're distracted by the delivery. Thanks, Clint!

Revolution9
09-01-2012, 12:58 PM
LOL

What does Clint know? How does he have any political credibility?

Clint was Mayor of Carmel..and what does an 82 year old man know that you don't. One hell of alot junior. Respect your elders for their life wisdom.

Rev9