PDA

View Full Version : My weekend at the gun show

LarryWhite
11-18-2007, 11:08 PM
Started off Friday night with 1 table, response was so good we paid for a second table Saturday, by Sunday we had three tables. DVD was playing on a small TV.

Gave out about 75 DVD's, bunch of bumper stickers and slim jims on all topics, and signed up about 10 delegates. Educated 20 people about the online voting fiasco we have here in WV.

Converted 4 Democrats who are now switching parties.

Told everyone that knew who Paul was about the USAToday ad Wednesday.

1 vendor next to us took some slim jims and DVD's to put on his table at future gun shows, he goes to all of them around here.

Sold about 6 signs, and 2 tshirts. Several people took more than 1 DVD or slim jim to hand out to their friends/family.

Only supporters of other campaings were 2 Tancredo supporters, who said Paul was their second choice.

Met 1 Fred Thompson supporter. He stops and looks over the table, I ask if he likes paul, he says he's partial to Thompson. I say 'Thompson's a good candidate. He has the 2nd best gun rights record of all of them"

Long pause as he stares at me.

"2nd best?" He asks.

"Yeah, he had some anti gun votes after Columbine, most of the country was wanting some sort of control. Of all the candidates, only Ron stood up for gun rights during that sensitive time"

He now has a DVD and bumper sticker.

A good 10 people had seen the Liberty $$ story, a few had heard about the money bomb.

Another at least 10 people openly mocked Guiliani and Romney.

Gave out slim jim and DVD packets to 2 people, 1 is taking them to a gun club he belongs to, another is going to pay for his own booth at a future festival.

NewEnd
11-18-2007, 11:10 PM
awesome

American
11-18-2007, 11:12 PM
Thats great, I just missed a gun show here in my town I really wanted to get in there but it was to late.

This was a great day it sounds like....fantastic work!!!

newmedia4ron
11-18-2007, 11:12 PM
Hat tip

We all need to to do this.

angrydragon
11-18-2007, 11:13 PM
Nice, thanks for the story.

TechnoGuyRob
11-18-2007, 11:14 PM
Wow, you've really been working it. :) Awesome, thanks.

ThomasJ
11-18-2007, 11:17 PM
I really wonder who those Rudy supporters are. I have never personally meet someone who said they supported him for Pres. I meet a fair amount of people and I talk to alot of them about politics.

Interesting that he is "So Electable" suppousedly

LarryWhite
11-18-2007, 11:22 PM
I wondered if I'd get any pro war 'kill all the arabs' people, but there wasn't any, or if they were they didn't say it to me. The quotes from the president of the Gun Owners of America on the slim jims helped a lot.

By the way, hat tip to ronapuldvd.com. We had disk 2 playing, and it is incredible. The first video is excellent, sets up all his positions in detail without being too long. It definitely was the perfect video to start with.

Also Militant came down Sunday and helped out, forgot to mention he was there. We have some hardcore supporters in WV, we're just all 2 hours from each other.

Zydeco
11-18-2007, 11:23 PM
Well-played, sir

LarryWhite
11-18-2007, 11:26 PM
I really wonder who those Rudy supporters are. I have never personally meet someone who said they supported him for Pres. I meet a fair amount of people and I talk to alot of them about politics.

Interesting that he is "So Electable" suppousedly

Same here, I've done tables at a flea market, fall festival, and now a gun show, and have yet to meet 1 Guiliani supporter.

Guiliani goes have about 25 delegates signed up here in WV, it's mostly executive commitee people. We have 15, Thompson has the most with around 35, and Romney has 30.

Most of the delegates signed up in WV are uncommitted. We'll probably be doing a mailing to them in December.

me3
11-18-2007, 11:26 PM
Fantastic job. If you do this again, try to collect names and contact info of interested individuals and pass it on to HQ. They will add these folks to their mailing lists.

texasbelle
11-18-2007, 11:27 PM
Thats awesome. I am ordering the gun owners slim jims and taking to shops around here. If you look at my user name you know I am in the prime area for this type of message.

LarryWhite
11-18-2007, 11:34 PM
Fantastic job. If you do this again, try to collect names and contact info of interested individuals and pass it on to HQ. They will add these folks to their mailing lists.

I did forget one thing, 1 guy told me he received a flier in the mail from the campaign, and one of the local water carriers is griping about it on his blog. It's neat to go out doing stuff on our own and find out the campaign is actually doing something in this state. We've been operating under the assumption they wouldn't have time or resources for us.

me3
11-18-2007, 11:40 PM
I did forget one thing, 1 guy told me he received a flier in the mail from the campaign, and one of the local water carriers is griping about it on his blog. It's neat to go out doing stuff on our own and find out the campaign is actually doing something in this state. We've been operating under the assumption they wouldn't have time or resources for us.
That's great. There are a lot of lists and information available.

If you can supply HQ with info from interested parties, they are working to setup a system to make sure people make it to the primaries, and are not just aware of and favorable to Dr. Paul because of course, it's the votes that count.

Grandson of Liberty
11-18-2007, 11:43 PM
this is how we win.

LarryWhite
11-18-2007, 11:49 PM
Here's a couple pictures from Sunday:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21034712@N06/?saved=1

Ethek
11-18-2007, 11:58 PM
What video DVD did you show? Is there a place to download it?

Cindy
11-18-2007, 11:59 PM
Great work, great story! Thanks for posting it!

LarryWhite
11-19-2007, 12:02 AM
What video DVD did you show? Is there a place to download it?

You can buy them cheap at ronpauldvd.com. They come with color printing on the DVD and a clear plastic sleeve. Very professional.

Austin
11-19-2007, 12:14 AM
That was very inspiring to read. Keep up the good work.

I will be going to my local gun stores in the coming days.

samtechlan
11-19-2007, 12:38 AM
Great work. As a gun owner myself I know that folks concerned about the 2nd Amendment are a very important constituency.

alien
11-19-2007, 12:45 AM
Great work!

RonPaulStreetTeam
11-19-2007, 12:45 AM
Nice!
sounds like you had a very efficient day!

firebirdnation
11-19-2007, 12:49 AM
Excellent, folks such as yourself are what make the Ron Paul Revolution the force it is. Great work!!

Bertrand
11-19-2007, 12:56 AM
I've met a coupe Giuliani supporters. Not many though. Most of them just see it as the pragmatic choice and have no real allegiance to him.

LinuxUser269
11-19-2007, 01:01 AM
way to go West Virgina.

Check out freedom rally in Clearwater Florida

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=38744

FreedomProsperityPeace
11-19-2007, 08:07 AM
Awesome job, Mr. White!

Kapt Nemo
11-19-2007, 08:12 AM
Excellent work!!! wish I could have made it to the gun show this past weekend, but after Lloyd Carr and Chad Henne rolled over and let OSU trounce them... I didn't feel like doing much else... Did give out 15 dvd's and a few info cards through out the weekend though!!!

Spirit of '76
11-19-2007, 12:03 PM
Great stuff, Larry.

Folks, Larry has worked very hard for Ron here in WV. He really deserves our thanks.

More info, please.

seapilot
11-19-2007, 12:14 PM
A true Gun owner who supports the 2nd amendment would never never vote for Rudy or Romney. Just update them on thier past stance and you can get them instantly interested in Ron Paul. Many republicans will vote for someone just on this issue.

LarryWhite
11-19-2007, 01:01 PM
The slim jim was the 'Gun Owners for Ron Paul' and it had a postcard you could mail back indicating if you wanted to help the campaign with volunteering, letter writing, or tell 10 friends about him, that kind of thing.

Don Suber at the Dailymail received one and has a post on his blog about it. Molly from Parkersburg said her parents received one too. They might be going thru the lists of gun permit owners and doing a mass mailing, not sure.

Suber's a big water carrier for the Bush Admin and big on the whole kill all the arabs before they kill us deal. It's killing him that we're doing so well. I think he's a Fred guy.

Spirit of '76
11-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Ah, I try not to read Surber, since he's just a total neocon shill, and isn't even half as smart as he thinks he is.

Just took a look at his hit-piece, though, and I see it's the usual lame crap:

http://blogs.dailymail.com/donsurber/2007/11/17/ron-paul-im-sane/#more-2337

You can (politely) email Mr. Surber at donsurber@yahoo.com

MsDoodahs
11-19-2007, 01:17 PM
For those who would like to do something similar, use the following link:

http://www.gunshows-usa.com/

Click on your state, it will show you what gun shows are upcoming in your area.

(I'm doing a separate post with this link, too.)

:)

Spirit of '76
11-19-2007, 01:41 PM
http://www.gunshows-usa.com/

Click on your state, it will show you what gun shows are upcoming in your area.

Thanks again for the link, MsDoodahs.

Larry, you interested in doing the one in Ripley this weekend?

BuddyRey
11-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Great success!!!

http://www.island-of-freedom.com/gashouse/borat.jpg

Primbs
11-19-2007, 02:17 PM
Gun Shows should be high value priority for recruiting voters, donors and delegates.

MadOdorMachine
11-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Great news. If RP doesn't get the Republican nomination, I'll be buying a gun (or two) before next year is over.

Ethek
11-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Looks like the Lexington Ky group will be trying to get a table for a 3 day Gun show. What materials did you come across that might be worth presenting?

LarryWhite
11-19-2007, 10:15 PM
The gun owners for Ron Paul slim jim is great, many people knew the people that are quoted on that slim jim. Immigration was big too.

What I did was print out the issue pages and xerox'ed them, and people took those too. Also had a copy of the USATODAY ad giving it out.

Eric21ND
11-20-2007, 02:11 AM
Here's a couple pictures from Sunday:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21034712@N06/?saved=1

Wow that is really amazing work there! What are all those articles you have printed out? We have a gun show coming up next month, got a table reserved. If you got any place I can get those print outs I'd appreciate it. :)

purplechoe
11-20-2007, 03:49 AM
Started off Friday night with 1 table, response was so good we paid for a second table Saturday, by Sunday we had three tables. DVD was playing on a small TV....

You're a great North American! Wait a minute, scratch that, wrong forum... :D

LarryWhite
11-20-2007, 06:55 AM
Wow that is really amazing work there! What are all those articles you have printed out? We have a gun show coming up next month, got a table reserved. If you got any place I can get those print outs I'd appreciate it. :)

I copied each 'issue' page from the ronpaul2008 website and pasted it into Word, made a Headline in bold and centered it, then typed in 'Learn more at ronpaul2008.com' across the bottom of each page. Then just print and copy at your liesure.

Start copying the issue page right below the picture of Ron, it pastes into Word perfectly.

Paul4Prez
11-25-2007, 03:29 PM
Our Meetup group was at the Crossroads of the West gun show in Costa Mesa, California this weekend (in Orange County.) We also were at an earlier gun show in the same location in August. The difference this time was incredible.

A lot more people knew who Ron Paul was today, and many said they would be voting for him, and some had already given money. I met one gentleman who said he had given the max donation back in March. Some still thought he was a long shot, but were impressed when we informed them of his success in fundraising and in motivating grassroots volunteers. (I pointed out that Ron Paul had a dozen volunteers at the show, but no one else did.)

Some still thought he was an independent, though, and many were non-voters. A few thanked me just for being there and volunteering. Those who were learning about Ron Paul for the first time seemed impressed.

Only one person mentioned that they were supporting another candidate -- Hillary Clinton. (The lady's husband said he was still trying to change her mind.) No Romney supporters. (One guy told me a Mitt Romney joke, which I can't really repeat here.) No Giuliani supporters. No Thompson supporters. No Huckabee supporters. No McCain supporters. Most people seemed to be either undecided, or oblivious to politics.

Things are looking up, but time is running out. Keep spreading the word.