PDA

View Full Version : The Newsroom - Tea Party is the American Taliban

QuickZ06
08-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Saw this floating around YouTube, wonder if they are doing a piece on us next week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGAvwSp86hY&feature=g-logo-xit

donnay
08-30-2012, 05:29 PM
There is something to be said about that. The Afghanistan Taliban has been ally, enemy, ally and enemy to the U.S. Government.

QuickZ06
08-30-2012, 05:31 PM
There is something to be said about that. The Afghanistan Taliban has been ally, enemy, ally and enemy to the U.S. Government.

Exactly what I was thinkin mate.

QuickZ06
08-30-2012, 05:32 PM
I have only scene two clips of that show including this one, just wondering if anyone has actually watched it to see what they have been saying.

donnay
08-30-2012, 05:52 PM
I have only scene two clips of that show including this one, just wondering if anyone has actually watched it to see what they have been saying.

As far as entertainment goes, I think it is a great show. They take old news stories and work the series around it to tell a story. It has different type personalities that with each week, their character tells a story. Actually there is one where they were trying to get to do a Republican debate. Each news team was assigned a candidate to thoroughly learn the candidates stance and how they would lean given certain questions. They wanted a debate where all the candidates were asked, unscripted hardball questions. They set up a live mock debate for the chairman to view. The Republican chairman was so incensed by this type of format and freaked out and threatened them to do it his way or they would not be even considered to hold a debate. The newsroom top dogs wouldn't play ball and the Republican chairman left in a huff. To me that was the best one, yet.

ShaneEnochs
08-30-2012, 06:06 PM
As far as entertainment goes, I think it is a great show. They take old news stories and work the series around it to tell a story. It has different type personalities that with each week, their character tells a story. Actually there is one where they were trying to get to do a Republican debate. Each news team was assigned a candidate to thoroughly learn the candidates stance and how they would lean given certain questions. They wanted a debate where all the candidates were asked, unscripted hardball questions. They set up a live mock debate for the chairman to view. The Republican chairman was so incensed by this type of format and freaked out and threatened them to do it his way or they would not be even considered to hold a debate. The newsroom top dogs wouldn't play ball and the Republican chairman left in a huff. To me that was the best one, yet.

Have they talked about Ron?

kathy88
08-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Actually, he describes neo-cons really well in that piece. I haven't fact-checked it yet, but I was planning to. I enjoy the show, but I can see through the politics of it. Unfortunately, a lot of other viewers can't. Therefore, I think that even though I enjoy it, the show is harmful to our cause, because some poeple do equate tea party with RPers and they slam tea party consistently in the show, even though he is supposed to be a republican.

NIU Students for Liberty
08-30-2012, 06:11 PM

During the debate prep/research, one of the interns makes a jab at Paul saying that he hasn't read an email (if I'm remembering the scene correctly) and whatever was in it, he disavows it (obviously referring to the newsletters).

I like the show in terms of how it's written (typical Sorkin fast-paced dialogue) but it is incredibly leftist and so it turns me off at times.

AuH20
08-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Aaron Sorkin may need to get back his vicious drug habit so he doesn't bore us with his predictable projections of political insecurity because that's exactly what this "show" is. Small government advocates are consistently cast as backward, uneducated, unsophisticated and generally unfit for respiration. Did I leave out any unflattering adjectives???

Indy Vidual
08-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Rand still has close ties to the KY. Tea Party, so the clip doesn't look all that great to me.

1000-points-of-fright
08-30-2012, 06:18 PM

Yes, during the mock debate episode. Racist Newsletters. That show is a writing train wreck. Every single main character is an unlikeable, neurotic, self-important douche. It's totally predictable and Sorkin doesn't even have the balls to own his partisan views. He hides behind the character of Will who, we're reminded every 5 minutes, is a Republican.

And it's not just because I disagree with Sorkin's politics. I have a friend who totally agrees with Sorkin's politics and we have the exact same problems with this show.

NIU Students for Liberty
08-30-2012, 06:29 PM
Rand still has close ties to the KY. Tea Party, so the clip doesn't look all that great to me.

They bashed Rand earlier in the season for his opposition to CRA.

NIU Students for Liberty
08-30-2012, 06:35 PM
According to the plot of the show, the news show SHOULD be objectively exposing multiple angles but they bailed on that by the 2nd episode of the season while continuing to act as if they're different from the typical Fox/MSNBC evening broadcast.

Philhelm
08-30-2012, 06:48 PM
Aaron Sorkin may need to get back his vicious drug habit so he doesn't bore us with his predictable projections of political insecurity because that's exactly what this "show" is. Small government advocates are consistently cast as backward, uneducated, unsophisticated and generally unfit for respiration. Did I leave out any unflattering adjectives???

Poopy?

JSaindon
08-30-2012, 07:55 PM

There are liberal slants sometimes like the voter ID story down south. But overall they do a very good job at exposing the corruptness of the media. Such as the phone hacking. They also had a clip where they were going to try out a new debate format and were shot down after a mock debate by a member of one of the party establishment for being to "harsh" on the candidates for asking the tough questions. "The Newsroom" tries to report the real news, not the sound bytes that are edited for a certain bias, while at first struggling with ratings due to the 'fad' stories that mean nothing not being coverd (Casey Anthony for example). The slants made me irritated about 1/3rd of the time, so there is still some political bias going on.

Overall a pretty good show. Not 100% believable, but entertaining.

donnay
08-30-2012, 08:02 PM

In that particular show, I referenced above, yes, and they were using a black man to act like Ron Paul, and they went as far as bringing up the Newsletters, when that Republican chair freaked out.

They really went out and dogged Michelle Bachmann telling everyone that God was behind the wars.

oyarde
08-30-2012, 11:21 PM
Tea Party should sue for slander , easy win , they do not cut off peoples heads for music , dancing , dress little boys up like hookers and rape them because they are scared of pussy ....

Boss
08-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Beautifully written show, certainly with some pro-freedom undercurrents that any libertarian could get behind. If you take the show for entertainment and evaluate it based on TV production, its really good. But it misfires from time to time with some of its political insinuations.

Boss
08-30-2012, 11:40 PM
Tea Party should sue for slander , easy win , they do not cut off peoples heads for music , dancing , dress little boys up like hookers and rape them because they are scared of pussy ....

Yes, lets censor the show through the government's judicial branch. What could go wrong?

JorgeStevenson
08-31-2012, 12:05 AM
This is a genius way to propagandize the masses. Make a show about how the news they see on TV is bad, and then make the news on your TV show present things in the way you want them to understand it. It really is pretty clever.

COpatriot
08-31-2012, 12:08 AM
Been wanting to check this one out for a while. I'll probably run through the 1st season when I'm not so busy.

oyarde
08-31-2012, 12:09 AM
Yes, lets censor the show through the government's judicial branch. What could go wrong?LOL , LOL

donnay
08-31-2012, 09:45 AM
If you take anything away from this show, one thing that they definitely point out is how bad the corporate media; sensationalizes, lies and distorts the news to get an audience. It also delves into how the owners try and control the news and how some in the corporate levels they will resort to criminal actions like wire-tapping to keep a thumb on media crew so they can blackmail them.

The message is in plain view. I can say this from first-hand experience, so I know it is a great message.

matt0611
08-31-2012, 09:53 AM
This is a genius way to propagandize the masses. Make a show about how the news they see on TV is bad, and then make the news on your TV show present things in the way you want them to understand it. It really is pretty clever.

Haha yup, that's exactly what this show is doing. Its a propaganda show masked as a "clever" entertainment.

Its genius, the brainwashed progressives will eat crap like this stuff right up.

opal
08-31-2012, 05:10 PM
I got curious so sat down with hubby and watched 3 episodes of it last night.. 2 we did well with... mildly entertained - quick enough pace to not be bored to tears but then episode 3 came along. Hubby is a disabled vet.. this episode debuted Jane Fonda in the series.. even if it was a non speaking cameo apperance.. it sunk the rest of the series

TheTexan
08-31-2012, 05:24 PM
Every lie has a bit of truth to it... that's how lies work... mix in some liberal propaganda BS with the truth, and bam, sheep are nary the wiser

TheTexan
08-31-2012, 05:26 PM
I resent that "pathological hatred of the US government" comment by the way. There's nothing pathological about it.

But I guess it's ok, he wasn't referring to me. I'm an anarchist, not tea party. :)

PaulConventionWV
08-31-2012, 05:38 PM
Saw this floating around YouTube, wonder if they are doing a piece on us next week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGAvwSp86hY&feature=g-logo-xit

GAAAHHHHH I HATE THIS FUCKING SHOW!!! FUCK@!

PaulConventionWV
08-31-2012, 05:45 PM
Actually, he describes neo-cons really well in that piece. I haven't fact-checked it yet, but I was planning to. I enjoy the show, but I can see through the politics of it. Unfortunately, a lot of other viewers can't. Therefore, I think that even though I enjoy it, the show is harmful to our cause, because some poeple do equate tea party with RPers and they slam tea party consistently in the show, even though he is supposed to be a republican.

I don't care if they tell us we suck as long as they do it honestly. What they are doing now is propaganda. Oh yeah, the guy is getting "in the zone" and he's blowing people's minds with his hardcore truthiness, and that truth that he's telling just happens to be the entirety of the liberal agenda mixed with hatred of those who oppose big government. It's supposed to be some sort of awe-inspiring moment on TV when people get the truth shocked into them, but it's freaking propaganda. They're brainwashing us with their message of hating those who would dare to have different moral views than the almighty liberal agenda. It's dressed in tear-jerking inspirational TV moment and the guy is always so stone-faced it makes me fucking sick. If there's one thing I can't stand it's fucking propaganda dressed up as entertainment or even useful info because it's neither.

PaulConventionWV
08-31-2012, 05:57 PM
There are liberal slants sometimes like the voter ID story down south. But overall they do a very good job at exposing the corruptness of the media. Such as the phone hacking. They also had a clip where they were going to try out a new debate format and were shot down after a mock debate by a member of one of the party establishment for being to "harsh" on the candidates for asking the tough questions. "The Newsroom" tries to report the real news, not the sound bytes that are edited for a certain bias, while at first struggling with ratings due to the 'fad' stories that mean nothing not being coverd (Casey Anthony for example). The slants made me irritated about 1/3rd of the time, so there is still some political bias going on.

Overall a pretty good show. Not 100% believable, but entertaining.

Liberal slants sometimes??? That's the understatement of the century. They're not exposing a fucking thing. They ARE the corruptness of the media in the form of propaganda posed as entertainment.

People think they can tell the difference between reality and fake, but not when it comes to this. When it's cast as entertainment, we eat that shit up because we're fucking dumb and gullible to let these people inspire us into thinking like little liberal shadows of our favorite shows.

Whenever we don't know what's true, we tend to believe what we see in entertainment. No wonder it's the biggest medium for propaganda these days. Sorkin is the fucking devil with horns. GRRR!!!

PaulConventionWV
08-31-2012, 06:01 PM
Beautifully written show, certainly with some pro-freedom undercurrents that any libertarian could get behind. If you take the show for entertainment and evaluate it based on TV production, its really good. But it misfires from time to time with some of its political insinuations.

Pro-freedom? Oh, no, my friend. Not one iota. No, not at all. Freedom is not even in the corners of their minds. Freedom is the antithesis of the message they are delivering in that show. Entertainment? Oh, yeah, but entertainment is quite effective at brainwashing people. That's what they're after, not freedom. Don't fool yourself for a moment into thinking this has anything to do with liberty or less government. It's quite the opposite.

PaulConventionWV
08-31-2012, 06:01 PM

Exactly, that's what I'm saying. You'll never catch me dead in front of that show sucking in their BS. I am so infuriated by it I can barely think straight.

tttppp
08-31-2012, 06:44 PM

I've watched every episode. It is biased, however I don't think it ever claimed to be unbiased. This just seems to be a show about a Newsroom and doesn't try to do many things differently than your average news. The one thing that does annoy me is their view on economics. They have their expert on economics played by Olivia Munn. They do seem to promot a bunch of nonsense economic policies through her. I think its insulting for them to claim she is expert when she onviously knows nothing about economics. But then again, most of the real news programs have stupid economic experts too.

I think a much worse show was the West Wing, which tried to convince people that the president actually did something, when in fact he wasn't doing anything. The people I talked to about this show actually thought Martin Sheen played a great president.

opal
08-31-2012, 06:45 PM
I watch television shows differently that most folks I guess. I view this with the same eyes as I'd watch 3rd rock from the sun or The West Wing, or Sliders even.. something to take my mind off reality.

tttppp
08-31-2012, 06:49 PM
I watch television shows differently that most folks I guess. I view this with the same eyes as I'd watch 3rd rock from the sun or The West Wing, or Sliders even.. something to take my mind off reality.

I couldn't stand the West Wing. Mostly because people actually though Sheen was playing a great president, when in fact all his staff did was sit around waiting for things to happen, and in the mean time debating politics.

donnay
08-31-2012, 07:02 PM
I don't care if they tell us we suck as long as they do it honestly. What they are doing now is propaganda. Oh yeah, the guy is getting "in the zone" and he's blowing people's minds with his hardcore truthiness, and that truth that he's telling just happens to be the entirety of the liberal agenda mixed with hatred of those who oppose big government. It's supposed to be some sort of awe-inspiring moment on TV when people get the truth shocked into them, but it's freaking propaganda. They're brainwashing us with their message of hating those who would dare to have different moral views than the almighty liberal agenda. It's dressed in tear-jerking inspirational TV moment and the guy is always so stone-faced it makes me fucking sick. If there's one thing I can't stand it's fucking propaganda dressed up as entertainment or even useful info because it's neither.

Then you better just turn off your television programming-- period. I happen to agree the Tea Party has been co-opted/hijacked by the neocons and there are a lot of hateful people running around under the banner of the Tea Party. Even Ron Paul distanced himself with much of it when he started this campaign.

The co-opted Tea Party are the ones yelling the loudest to go after Iran for the sake of Israel. Their hatred for brown people is astounding and truly uncalled for. Do you think Dr. Paul would want to be associated with any of these people who do nothing more than advocate more unconstitutional endless wars?

jasonxe
08-31-2012, 07:30 PM
When they talk about Ron, it's about his newsletter. There rebuttals are of little substance within a 10 second clip. They actually have a keynasian economist Oliva Munn pretending to be a fiscal conservative. If you take the liberal agenda out of it, it is entertaining.

idiom
08-31-2012, 07:36 PM
Its a great show. The propaganda is a lot more blatant than the west wing. In the west Wing the left ideologues got schooled by actual conservatives on a pretty regular basis.

Technically its accurate. Its probably even politically accurate. It is possible news rooms across America discussed Ron Paul in just hat way, no idea what they were on about.

tttppp
08-31-2012, 07:45 PM
When they talk about Ron, it's about his newsletter. There rebuttals are of little substance within a 10 second clip. They actually have a keynasian economist Oliva Munn pretending to be a fiscal conservative. If you take the liberal agenda out of it, it is entertaining.

I have a question, in real life, what company would pay an economist like Olivia Munn's character $4 million?

idiom
08-31-2012, 07:56 PM
A really good PhD in economics? Half of Wall Street.

The Geniuses who went to Wall Street instead of Nasa and designed CDS and CDS^2, paid *big* bucks.

AuH20
08-31-2012, 07:59 PM
Then you better just turn off your television programming-- period. I happen to agree the Tea Party has been co-opted/hijacked by the neocons and there are a lot of hateful people running around under the banner of the Tea Party. Even Ron Paul distanced himself with much of it when he started this campaign.

The co-opted Tea Party are the ones yelling the loudest to go after Iran for the sake of Israel. Their hatred for brown people is astounding and truly uncalled for. Do you think Dr. Paul would want to be associated with any of these people who do nothing more than advocate more unconstitutional endless wars?

You're painting with a very broad brush. Secondly, you throw around this one-sided hate angle like there wasn't a specific incident that incited all of this bad blood. Americans altogether woke up one morning and suddenly decided to hate Muslims. It isn't that simple. And no many of these people weren't even born when Kermit Roosevelt was tip-toeing around Tehran.

My own personal opinion is that we should leave those particular people alone on the account that they are experiencing a severe identity crisis which comes with a 6th century mentality and a penchant for being the longterm doormat for imperial powers. Kinda like the borderline homicidal neighbor down the street who you'd rather not socialize with. Eventually, they are going to mature but right now you leave them alone. Americans shouldn't necessarily hate them as easy as that can be, but for obvious reasons, they should be leery of the more radical factions.

NewRightLibertarian
08-31-2012, 08:01 PM
This is the worst show on TV.

tttppp
08-31-2012, 08:04 PM
A really good PhD in economics? Half of Wall Street.

The Geniuses who went to Wall Street instead of Nasa and designed CDS and CDS^2, paid *big* bucks.

I should have also majored in economics. I loved economics.

But who pays that much money for a communist/solcialist economist? Why would you pay that much for someone who doesn't understand economics? Getting a PhD doesn't mean you understand it.

VoluntaryAmerican
08-31-2012, 08:43 PM
I was 99% positive that this show was revisionist and propoganda in nature when I saw the commercials. I never watched an episode yet for that very reason.

I'll stick with Boardwalk Empire.

anaconda
08-31-2012, 09:19 PM

They were having a mock debate a couple of episodes back and asked the stand in for Ron about the newsletters.