PDA

View Full Version : NJ Delegate conference call

Stacey S
11-18-2007, 10:25 PM
Our meet up had a call last week. Here's the breakdown.

April 7th is the deadline to have your delegate petition submitted.

June 3rd is the election for delegates

There are 52 delegates for GOP in NJ
13 congressional districts(each one picks 3) and needs 100 signatures
1 state delegate
2 national delegates
Plus 10 at large delegates that need 250 signatures.

The delegates will go the the RP Convention Sept 1-4th and vote for the Nomimee. We are bound toe vote for the first 3 ballots, brokered convention? This part is sketchy for me.

vinwal
11-19-2007, 06:21 AM
"We are bound toe vote for the first 3 ballots, brokered convention?"

I hate to sound dumb,but what does that mean?

Mark Rushmore
11-25-2007, 06:46 PM
"We are bound toe vote for the first 3 ballots, brokered convention?"

I hate to sound dumb,but what does that mean?

When the delegates arrive at the National Convention, [up to] the first three times there is voting on the nominee - the delegates are 'bound' to vote for the person who won the primary in NJ. If the first vote sweeps someone in then of course there are no second and third votes - but if things were gridlocked and there were several inconclusive votes - after the third vote the delegates are 'unbound' and can vote whatever they like.

That is how I read it. Now what is more important is that if you break your pledge and vote for someone else - the worst thing that can happen is you are banned from the Republican Party. Now I'm certainly not suggesting anyone should go breaking their pledges, but if a quick tally showed Giuliani or someone to be only a few votes away - it isn't out of the question that Rudy loyalist delegates might break theirs. For that reason alone it is best to have RP supporters as delegates.

Anyways, due to the potential for a very fractured convention coming out of this splintered pack - the chance of it going to multiple votes increases - and the question of whom the delegates would vote for individually becomes more of an issue.

The above is simply how I understand things to be. If I'm wrong please correct me.

KevinF
11-29-2007, 08:36 PM
I believe you are correct.

I also agree that since this convention will be so fractured, we really need to get as many RP-supporting delegate there as possible. I'm totally willing to run and pay my travel or to help someone else run in NJ for delegate. We need to start getting organized immediately after Super Tuesday and get the petitions going for as many RP-leaning delegates as possible. In advance, we all need to start attending GOP meetings in our local communities and counties.

- Kevin F.

T206
11-29-2007, 08:57 PM
Kind of an off-beat question, but would I be able to donate some frequent flier miles to someone if they needed help funding their trip?

KevinF
11-29-2007, 09:21 PM
Depends on the airline. I think some of them allow you to give other members of the program miles as a gift. Otherwise, I think they will allow you to purchase a flight for someone else using your miles.

T206
12-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Depends on the airline. I think some of them allow you to give other members of the program miles as a gift. Otherwise, I think they will allow you to purchase a flight for someone else using your miles.

Interesting, mine are with Continental so Ill go research on their site. In the mean time if anyone legitimately will need them to help in the effort let me know. I dont have a TON of miles, but I wanted to be able to contribute in some way, and for now this is one of my only options.

Mark Rushmore
12-02-2007, 10:00 AM
Since it seems like you can run slates of 3 delegates together and only have to collect 100 signatures for the entire slate (rather than 300 if everyone goes it alone) - it would make sense to form 3-person teams for each congressional district so we can get started nice and early... the sooner you get them in, the more chance the local party might accept it and not run Rudy fans against you on the line.

So let's keep track of who is in what district:

I'm 5th.

crazyfacedjenkins
12-04-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm in the 1st district

bitchinskidmarks
12-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Are the dates the OP posted correct?
I found conflicting info which puts any attempt I make as being a delegate as being too late.

http://www.dfalink.com/uploads/files/665472c0fb943a47/2008DelegateDistricts.pdf

Or am I misunderstanding the process?

JosephTheLibertarian
12-06-2007, 11:58 PM
who wants to help me become a delegate?

Mark Rushmore
12-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Are the dates the OP posted correct?
I found conflicting info which puts any attempt I make as being a delegate as being too late.

http://www.dfalink.com/uploads/files/665472c0fb943a47/2008DelegateDistricts.pdf

Or am I misunderstanding the process?

That particular document regards Democrats.

JDouglasFisher
12-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Hey Mark, looks like you and I are on the same slate for the 5th district of New Jersey..

Need one more...

Joe.

Fiorentino
01-04-2008, 01:41 PM
I will be applying for a delegate under District 1.

gerryb
01-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Is there any organization in place yet to get all RP delegates on the ballot?

It would be huge to have 52 RP delegates, even if someone else takes the state, those delegates would be loyal to vote Ron Paul once they are unbound, not who got the popular vote.