PDA

View Full Version : Bloomberg Loses His Cool After Reporter Questions Officers’ Actions In Shooting

Marenco
08-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Bloomberg Loses His Cool After Reporter Questions Officers’ Actions In Shooting

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Mayor Michael Bloomberg vehemently defended the actions of the police officers who responded to the shooting near the Empire State Building last week.

The mayor exploded in anger after a reporter asked him what he thought of the officers opening fire on 58-year-old Jeffrey Johnson Friday morning on a Midtown street, injuring nine bystanders who got caught in the crossfire.

“Let me ask you this Miss, if somebody pointed a gun at you and you had a gun in your pocket, what would you do? I think that answers the question,” Bloomberg said Tuesday at an unrelated news conference in the Bronx.

Johnson encountered the officers moments after he allegedly shot and killed his former co-worker, 41-year-old Steven Ercolino, outside Hazan Imports on West 33rd Street.

The two officers fired a total of 16 rounds at Johnson after he pulled out a gun and pointed it at the officers, police said.

“The guy turned and pointed his gun at the two police officers and you can really ask that question after that?” Bloomberg asked the reporter.

The mayor added that it’s unfortunate nine bystanders were injured, but insists the officers “acted more than appropriately.”

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly confirmed on Saturday that all nine bystanders were hit by police officers’ bullets. Six of the nine were hit by bullet fragments, while the other three were hit directly by bullets. However, none of the injuries were life-threatening.

Kelly also said the officers, who remain on desk duty as the investigation continues, took “appropriate action.”

Meanwhile, Johnson’s mother told The New York Times that the officers were justified in shooting her son.

“I don’t blame police in New York for shooting my son because he killed somebody, but for me, he hasn’t changed. He’s still the kindhearted, caring person who loved all kinds of animals and I’m sure he loved us,” she told the paper. “You know a mother always tries to look for the best in you.”

She also told the Times that she believes her son pointed the weapon at the officers “to make sure that they would shoot him and he would die.”

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08/28/bloomberg-loses-his-cool-after-reporter-questions-officers-actions-in-shooting-near-empire-state-building/#.UD4CwSZTrpk.email

James Madison
08-29-2012, 07:16 PM
[QUOTE=Marenco;4614012]Bloomberg Loses His Cool After Reporter Questions Officers’ Actions In Shooting

“Let me ask you this Miss, if somebody pointed a gun at you and you had a gun in your pocket, what would you do? I think that answers the question,” Bloomberg said Tuesday at an unrelated news conference in the Bronx.

I wouldn't be able to do anything since your anti-gun laws prevent me from defending myself. I guess I'd just sit there and take it; let the criminals do whatever they want with me. Or I could carry a gun anyways, but go to jail on felony gun-possession charges. Some choice.

The two officers fired a total of 16 rounds at Johnson after he pulled out a gun and pointed it at the officers, police said.

“The guy turned and pointed his gun at the two police officers and you can really ask that question after that?” Bloomberg asked the reporter.

Doesn't look like they "fired a total of 16 rounds at Johnson". Maybe in the general direction of...or possibly near him. Judging by the locations of Johnson and the officers, there is no excuse for not hitting the target with every round. I know most cops are crappy shots but jeez. I was a better shot when I was 10. To miss that badly demonstrates a lack of marksmanship training and should barr them from future service.

Anti Federalist
08-29-2012, 07:18 PM

Ummm, not open fire indiscriminately into a crowd of people, you flaccid, diarrhea leaking, hairless, asshole, you.

If I did what those cops did, as a CCW holder, I'd be in fucking jail.

Fuck you Bloomberg.

Anti Federalist
08-29-2012, 07:20 PM
Meanwhile, Johnson’s mother told The New York Times that the officers were justified in shooting her son.

“I don’t blame police in New York for shooting my son because he killed somebody, but for me, he hasn’t changed. He’s still the kindhearted, caring person who loved all kinds of animals and I’m sure he loved us,” she told the paper. “You know a mother always tries to look for the best in you

There's that weird NY/NJ "Cop - Mundane" Stockholm syndrome again.

Brian4Liberty
08-29-2012, 07:21 PM
Accidentally hitting bystanders is often an excuse for banning average people from carrying guns. It appears that argument works just as well, if not better, for disarming the Police.

Pericles
08-29-2012, 09:44 PM
I'd buy a T-shirt with a target on the fromt and back to help out the NYPD. That is what I would do.:D

pcosmar
08-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Bloomberg Loses His Cool

He had a "Cool"??

I'd buy a T-shirt with a target on the fromt and back to help out the NYPD. That is what I would do.:D

That should keep you safe. /piss poor shots

acptulsa
09-13-2012, 10:24 AM
'Never a day passes in New York, without some innocent bystander being shot. You just stand around this town long enough, and be innocent, and somebody is going to shoot you. One day there was four shot. That's the best shooting ever done in this town (glad things have improved in ninety years?). Hard to find four innocent people in New York, even if you don't stop to shoot them. That's why a policeman never had to aim here; he just shoots up a street anywhere. No matter who he hits--it's the right one.'--Will Rogers
--

Henry Rogue
09-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Placing a target on yourself may guaranty a miss if the shooter is LE.

Anti Federalist
09-13-2012, 11:11 AM
--

Originally Posted by acptulsa
'Never a day passes in New York, without some innocent bystander being shot. You just stand around this town long enough, and be innocent, and somebody is going to shoot you. One day there was four shot. That's the best shooting ever done in this town (glad things have improved in ninety years?). Hard to find four innocent people in New York, even if you don't stop to shoot them. That's why a policeman never had to aim here; he just shoots up a street anywhere. No matter who he hits--it's the right one.'--Will Rogers

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to acptulsa again.

Pericles
09-13-2012, 02:15 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to acptulsa again.

That ^