PDA

View Full Version : Grade Rand Paul's RNC Speech

Rocco
08-29-2012, 06:12 PM
How do you think he did? Did he convince more GOP voters to take a look at a possible 2016 run, and the liberty movement as a result of that?

No1butPaul
08-29-2012, 06:24 PM
meh

Sematary
08-29-2012, 06:26 PM
vid?

NY-Dano
08-29-2012, 06:32 PM
transcript:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/80398.html

CaptUSA
08-29-2012, 06:34 PM
B+ I thought.

I received a couple phone calls afterwards from typical FoxNews watchers telling me that they really liked Rand. I liked how he referenced specific history.

I really like how he understood the real problem with Obama's "you didn't build that". Everyone else in the GOP seems to think he was talking about building businesses, but the truth is that he was talking about roads and other infrastructure. Only Rand showed how without businesses, roads and infrastructure wouldn't exist. So in effect, Obama's understanding of how America works was entirely screwed up.

twomp
08-29-2012, 06:34 PM
I think it was just your typical We are TEAM RED and we ARE better than TEAM BLUE speech.

anewvoice
08-29-2012, 06:36 PM
safe

XNavyNuke
08-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Don't know if he convinced the RINOs and Neocons that make up the "GOP voters", but he certainly plugged individual exceptionalness and liberty. We can expect no one else at the convention to give those more than lip service.

XNN

Dr.3D
08-29-2012, 06:44 PM
I like how he sold the idea that some military spending is wasted and could be cut.

08-29-2012, 06:53 PM
Smart. Give speeches like that but keep voting like his dad.

Sematary
08-29-2012, 06:54 PM
I think it was just your typical We are TEAM RED and we ARE better than TEAM BLUE speech.

^this

LibertyEagle
08-29-2012, 06:55 PM
He is chipping away at them. I give him a B.

Brian4Liberty
08-29-2012, 06:57 PM
A little too tame for Ron Paul supporters, a little too extreme for neo-conservatives, might be just right for generic Tea Party/GOP people.

kill the banks
08-29-2012, 07:00 PM
he pounded the constitution values ... once before another Paul the constitution was just a piece of paper ... well not bad ... playing politics is an art and he is v good at it ... inside his head are our values but first you have to be electable ~ so A

July
08-29-2012, 07:23 PM
A+ for delivery, B for content.

I liked that he worked in the Reagan story and the bit about transforming the coldness austerity into the warmth of prosperity. He told that story at one of his earlier speeches (CPAC?), and I remembered liking it a lot then.

I thought he did great.

Shane Harris
08-29-2012, 07:45 PM
He's a fantastic speaker, and the only Republican I ever hear talking about both sides cutting sacred cows. I love that he worked in cutting defense and I love that he worked in his father. I also love that he worked in not sacrificing liberty for a fleeting promise of security. He was subtle about his libertarian positions, and they got applause. Ironically those same people probably applauded John McCain preaching the exact opposite. (fear)

tttppp
08-29-2012, 07:46 PM
It seemed like a lot of fluff. And who cares whether Obamacare is constitutional? All I care is that the next president will get rid of it, and replace it with a better market solution. Rand wasted too much time bashing the president, and did make some good points, but what would have helped his cause is presented his vision for the future. Successful people don't waste all their time blaming the last person in charge like Obama is doing.

mz10
08-29-2012, 07:48 PM
Given the fact that he had to play to the crowd, I give him an A. He actually put way more foreign policy stuff in than I expected him to.

economics102
08-29-2012, 07:56 PM
It was an impressive speech for the mainstream GOP'ers. But as someone else said, it's hard for people like us to get excited about it. He is a great speaker though, and he is proving to be very talented at walking that thin line of politics. Whether that approach is wise or not, only the future will tell, but no doubt he is quite good at it.

brandon
08-29-2012, 07:58 PM
D. Incredibly dull and boring, I couldn't even pay attention to it. Maybe it got better towards the end, but I couldn't make it eve halfway through. Anytime someone talks about "Obamacare" I instantly zone out.

DGambler
08-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Solid B given where he was and the audience. Go back and watch closely after he "endorsed" Romney.... Very hard swallow.

RPforPrez.
08-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Very good. Except that he had to mention Romney. Kinda put a damper on things.
My dad, who is a typical foxnews person, immediately started sayinhg how good he thought the speech was.

QWDC
08-29-2012, 08:26 PM
It was OK, but it seemed kinda dry to me, not a lot of emotion from Rand or the audience. I'm sure he was limited on what he could work with though, but he usually churns out better speeches. Also, where was the GOP unity stuff he said he would touch on? Censored perhaps?

matt0611
08-29-2012, 08:34 PM
D. Incredibly dull and boring, I couldn't even pay attention to it. Maybe it got better towards the end, but I couldn't make it eve halfway through. Anytime someone talks about "Obamacare" I instantly zone out.

Why? I thought Rand was spot on Obamcare and miles better than any other republicans.

People like Mitch McConnell and other establishment types are timid and think that whenever the supreme court speaks they are like God.

I'm glad Rand hammered home that Obamacare is STILL unconstitutional no matter how the SCOTUS rules.

RonPaulFanInGA
08-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Anytime someone talks about "Obamacare" I instantly zone out.

One would figure the outrageous issue of the federal government forcing people to buy health insurance would inspire a little more passion from any liberty-loving American.

It's sad that weed sparks more bluster from some here.

Dr.3D
08-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Why? I thought Rand was spot on Obamcare and miles better than any other republicans.

People like Mitch McConnell and other establishment types are timid and think that whenever the supreme court speaks they are like God.

I'm glad Rand hammered home that Obamacare is STILL unconstitutional no matter how the SCOTUS rules.
Yep, just because they call it a tax, that doesn't make it constitutional. What's next, they demand we buy a new car every year or we will be "taxed" for a new one?

Barrex
08-30-2012, 03:41 PM
He is smart guy:
Constantly mentioning minorities (people by name) in his consticuency... smart political move.

Galileo Galilei
08-30-2012, 08:12 PM
A+

Southerner
08-31-2012, 10:45 AM
Nearly 30% of people HERE, voted "C or worse"????

oy veh. As the old man says "Some peoples kids" & "Stone Cold!"

Matt Collins
08-31-2012, 12:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMhecMQkU9M&feature=em-share_video_user

July
08-31-2012, 01:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMhecMQkU9M&feature=em-share_video_user

Cool video.
Ron did the same thing to Rand on Sunday in his speech, only indirectly calling him a senator from Kentucky, lol. That's kind of funny.

Sounds like that woman was at least opening up to the possibility that there might be waste in our military spending. That's a start. Probably the best way to ease into the topic.