PDA

View Full Version : Is there any last hope of an independent run?

brendan.orourke
08-28-2012, 08:21 PM
I hope!

sailingaway
08-28-2012, 08:24 PM
I don't know, but if he wanted it he could sign for something like $39 million in matching funds... and he has us...

jbauer
08-28-2012, 08:25 PM
no

wgadget
08-28-2012, 08:26 PM
Why not?

acptulsa
08-28-2012, 08:26 PM
Me too. Sore loser laws or no.

To date Ron Paul has been reluctant to bite the Republican Party as hard as it deserves as he was still tied to it. But now he's retiring, so what's left to lose? I say that if they try to make Rand pay for the sins of his father, this might just piss some more of their own rank and file off--making sons pay for what their father did is so unAmerican that it might get their noses out of joint no matter how many Fox News employees say it's the thing to do.

The Dude
08-28-2012, 08:27 PM
No, but he should at the very least do what he did in 2008 and endorse third party candidates if not an outright endorsement of Johnson. He spoke out against the coming facism in America with Romney, why isn't he endorsing Johnson then?

Indy Vidual
08-28-2012, 08:29 PM
No.
Scary Johnson is the least of 3 evils, and he is on the ballot.

kill the banks
WWlll... financial collapse and pending civil war might do it ... no!

NoOneButPaul
Won't happen and it won't happen for good reason.

He recognizes it would be the movement's suicide or he would have done it already.

I saw someone suggest he'll run on the LP ticket in 2016 as a way to force the GOP to treat his son right.

If he does run 3rd party that's the way to do it... either they'd pick Rand or they'd be guaranteed to lose.

Aratus
08-28-2012, 08:50 PM
an educational front or back or side porch internet campaign in 2016...

acptulsa
08-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Dear Dr. Paul:

Yes, I will vote for Gary Johnson if that's what it comes down to. I'll recommend him. I'll campaign for him. I'll do my best.

But you know what? I think even he would tell you that your name recognition would make you a far, far more effective LP candidate. You're retiring, so who cares if you piss the GOP off--especially after today? And not being from Galveston, I've only had the chance to vote for you three times so far.

Run!

wgadget
08-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Ron said in his speech the other night that if he were available to the Dems and Indies in the primaries, he would have done even better. I can't say how many comments I've read where people say they'd vote for him if he went Indie.

Agorism
08-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Run Ron run!

wgadget
08-28-2012, 09:27 PM
And it's not like the damn GOP hasn't disenfranchised his voters...

Yeah, Libertarian would be great. What does Gary think?

acptulsa
08-28-2012, 09:30 PM
And it's not like the damn GOP hasn't disenfranchised his voters...

Yeah, Libertarian would be great. What does Gary think?

If I remember correctly, he told the LP that he would gladly accept their nomination on the one condition that Ron Paul doesn't wind up wanting it.

If I remember correctly.

tangent4ronpaul
08-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Run, Ron, Run!

-t

AdamT
08-28-2012, 10:54 PM
None.

Aratus
08-28-2012, 10:55 PM
is this hypothetical possibility now more real?

susano
08-28-2012, 11:07 PM
I find this question to be magical thinking, at best, and downright delusional at worst. Hell no he isn't going to run third party. He chose to run as a Republican, Gary Johnson is the LP candidate, and that's that. And, an indie run opportunity has LONG since past. Any suggestion of a 2016 run is just insane.

acptulsa
08-28-2012, 11:09 PM
I find this question to be magical thinking, at best, and downright delusional at worst. Hell no he isn't going to run third party. He chose to run as a Republican, Gary Johnson is the LP candidate, and that's that. And, an indie run opportunity has LONG since past. Any suggestion of a 2016 run is just insane.

He didn't rule it out, Johnson didn't rule it out, it's the party, not the man, on most state ballots at this stage, and no one was talking about 2016 but you.

That would actually be that at this date.

Razmear
08-28-2012, 11:11 PM
Best case scenario is Johnson for this election. Johnson would give Ron any position in government he wished, and having Ron as Secretary of State would be just as good to me as him being on the top of the ticket.

acptulsa
08-28-2012, 11:12 PM
Best case scenario is Johnson for this election. Johnson would give Ron any position in government he wished, and having Ron as Secretary of State would be just as good to me as him being on the top of the ticket.

I agree. But I actually think the most likely scenario would be a Johnson/Paul ticket. Which I would most deliriously happily support.

Razmear
08-28-2012, 11:16 PM
I agree. But I actually think the most likely scenario would be a Johnson/Paul ticket. Which I would most deliriously happily support.
Two problems with that, firstly the Libertarian convention already happened, too late to change the ticket, and secondly VP is a semi-useless position in government nowadays. Having Ron front and center as the Secretary of State, dealing with foreign policy would be a perfect job for him. We'd be importing Persian carpets from Iran within months and the global threat level would drop instantly.

Justinfrom1776
No.
Scary Johnson is the least of 3 evils, and he is on the ballot.

If Paul were to run independent, it would behoove Gary Johnson to drop out and endorse Ron and Gary can try again in 2016 with the respect of all of us.

TheGrinch
Highly doubtful, as Dr. Paul is unlikely to feel that it's worth the risk to potentially undo the progress made towards taking over leadership in the Republican party (and yes, there has been some real progress, to where I don't see him throwing a hail-mary that could really backfire). Also, if I understand correctly, he would also need to get Johnson to step aside as VP...

But obviously I don't think there's a person here who wouldn't stand with him if he was up for trying. I just wouldn't hold my breath on it, and hopefully everyone should respect it if he says no, as there would be plenty of reasons why not.

We can handle them trying to blame this election on us, but I'm not sure it would be as easy to defend a 3rd party run after running for the republican nomination (though of course we could still handle it either way, as spectacles do actually have a way of bringing to public light the underlying issues, in this case the cheating)....

But this was a calculated decision Ron had to make a long time ago, and I don't know about you, but I still think this has created as much attention as an indy run could have, all while making life tough for a bunch of establishment dicks and making them have their corruption be more transparent. That along with the growing number of representatives and senators and delegations to carry it on and work towards a majority needed to stop them, all makes it really tough to say that it was the wrong decision.

sailingaway
08-28-2012, 11:33 PM
I'd love it. Barring that, I'd love Aratus's idea.

George Dance
08-28-2012, 11:37 PM
Because, just like endorsing Romney, it would negate everything Ron Paul has stood for in the past 17 years. He's made his commitment: stay in the Republican Party and try to change it -- and, like every commitment he's made, he's not going to break it.

George Dance
08-28-2012, 11:39 PM
He might endorse Johnson (though I doubt it). He endorsed Chuck Baldwin in 2008.

sailingaway
08-28-2012, 11:39 PM
I'd be insulted on Ron's behalf, so I'd rather it be independent than LP in that case. and if he did go for matching funds that would simply be ludicrous. even without it, he'd be bringing the money, media (such as we'd get) and supporters.

sailingaway
08-28-2012, 11:40 PM
He might endorse Johnson (though I doubt it). He endorsed Chuck Baldwin in 2008.

I kinda don't think he's going to endorse anyone.

susano
08-29-2012, 12:03 AM
He didn't rule it out, Johnson didn't rule it out, it's the party, not the man, on most state ballots at this stage, and no one was talking about 2016 but you.

That would actually be that at this date.

Post #9:

He recognizes it would be the movement's suicide or he would have done it already.

I saw someone suggest he'll run on the LP ticket in 2016 as a way to force the GOP to treat his son right.

If he does run 3rd party that's the way to do it... either they'd pick Rand or they'd be guaranteed to lose.

PAY ATTENTION

As for the rest, it's NOT happening. I swear to God, I have never witnessed such pie in the sky dreaming as I see around here. It's like a bunch of you are completely disconnected from reality.

tangent4ronpaul
08-29-2012, 12:14 AM
I kinda don't think he's going to endorse anyone.

Paul should seriously consider endorsing someone that could run the country better than Obama or Romney!

http://www.bsckids.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Ernie.jpg

-t

RickyJ
08-29-2012, 12:18 AM
After what Romney and the GOP pulled today, yeah, I think Ron Paul might just go for it and run third party, but if he does, he needs to do so without Benton.

RickyJ
08-29-2012, 12:24 AM

After the last few days, I think so. Ron Paul even showed up at the convention today. I am sure he will be there tomorrow too to hear his son speak. Romney is a fool to change the rules to stop the man from speaking, a damn fool!

wgadget
08-29-2012, 05:25 AM
Anyone got the text of Ron's 2008 endorsement press conference? I believe he was endorsing third party candidates as a whole in order to make them more viable.

I can think of no better candidate than Ron Paul in this cycle to further that reality.

NACBA
08-29-2012, 05:27 AM
Let's Do It

LibertyEagle
08-29-2012, 05:32 AM
I don't know, but if he wanted it he could sign for something like $39 million in matching funds... and he has us...

???

If you know Ron Paul, you should know that he would never accept matching funds from the government. Never.

opal
08-29-2012, 05:34 AM
question from the cheap seats please... I've seen reference to *sore loser laws* can someone explain what those are to me please?

Sujan
08-29-2012, 05:48 AM
This year is Ron last year of his political career, the man is 77. There is a tiny chance of an independent run but that’s it.
Where are the funds? They got 2 million left, but that’s not nearly enough. Besides, as an independent he won’t get into the debates, so that’s pretty pointless. All the media attention is focused on Romney and Obama.

I hope he will be a symbolic leader of the movement in his retirement…..

matt0611
08-29-2012, 06:48 AM
Post #9:

PAY ATTENTION

As for the rest, it's NOT happening. I swear to God, I have never witnessed such pie in the sky dreaming as I see around here. It's like a bunch of you are completely disconnected from reality.

This.

Not gonna happen. You all need to move on. We have lost this election.

rockandrollsouls
08-29-2012, 06:54 AM
This. Plus sore loser laws.

I don't think he'll run on the LP ticket again. The groundwork has been laid. Amash, Rand, Bills...we're getting a lot of numbers. Plus, Gary is on the ballot and he likes Gary.

I think he's going to let the movement take over and his personal vote will probably be for Gary. Just my 2 cents.

July
08-29-2012, 06:56 AM
For Ron personally, no I don't think so. I think he has signaled is ready to retire, and wants to work outside formal politics, probably in some educational capacity.

But Romney is doing a bang up job of angering and dividing the GOP, and we are no longer the only marginalized group. If this keeps up, there just may be a serious push for a conservative/libertarian independent run by someone, in the near future.

erowe1
08-29-2012, 06:59 AM
If he were going to do that, he would have started a long time ago. There was no conceivable reason to wait until now. Ergo, he's not going to do it.

tangent4ronpaul
08-29-2012, 07:14 AM
//

VanBummel
08-29-2012, 07:23 AM
I'd like to see Ron found his own party, just so our people can be in one place and not have to join the Republican party... If I tell people I'm a Republican they will assume I'm a gay-stoning, Israel-worshiping, Middle-East-bombing Romney lover. I honestly think the GOP may be beyond saving. :(