PDA

View Full Version : NE-Deaf child must change his sign language name because it resembles a gun.

Anti Federalist
08-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Grand Island Preschooler Asked to Change the Sign for His Name in School

http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/Grand-Island-Preschooler-Forbidden-Sign-Language-for-His-Own-Name-167394325.html#.UDv3-z1PhKg.facebook

Hunter Spanjer says his name with a certain special hand gesture, but at just three and a half years old, he may have to change it.

"He's deaf, and his name sign, they say, is a violation of their weapons policy," explained Hunter's father, Brian Spanjer.

Grand Island's "Weapons in Schools" Board Policy 8470 forbids "any instrument...that looks like a weapon," But a three year-old's hands?

"Anybody that I have talked to thinks this is absolutely ridiculous. This is not threatening in any way," said Hunter's grandmother Janet Logue.

"It's a symbol. It's an actual sign, a registered sign, through S.E.E.," Brian Spanjer said.

S.E.E. stands for Signing Exact English, Hunter's sign language. Hunter's name gesture is modified with crossed-fingers to show it is uniquely his own.

"We are working with the parents to come to the best solution we can for the child," said Jack Sheard, Grand Island Public Schools spokesperson.

That's just about all GIPS officials will say for now.

Meantime, Hunter's parents say that by Monday, lawyers from the National Association of the Deaf are likely to weigh in for Hunter's right to sign his own name.

Despite whatever rules and regulations may exist, some Grand Islanders we spoke with said they don't think it's right to make a three year-old change the way he says his name.

"It's his name. It's not like he's going to bring a gun to school when he's three years old," commented Dana Schwieger.

"I find it very difficult to believe that the sign language that shows his name resembles a gun in any way would even enter a child's mind," Grand Island resident Fredda Bartenbach reflected.

But for now, that's a discussion between the Spanjers and Grand Island Public Schools officials.

Anti Federalist
08-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Normally, most people would make some remark about how "insane" such a thing is.

Nothing really insane about it.

Random, heavy handed enforcement of millions of obscure, unknowable and ridiculous rules, edicts, laws, codes and policies, meted out by an endless parade of petty "officials", is the hallmark of a police state.

DamianTV
08-28-2012, 03:45 PM
If he is required to change it from some sort of Gun to something else, I think it should be changed to be the Middle Finger.

--- edit ---

If they are going to implement heavy handed authoritarian bullshit like this, why dont they require anyone that even has the word "Gun" in their Name or Title to forcibly change that too? Like someone named "Gun"derson, or "Gun"nery Sgt.?

Philhelm
08-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Who the F makes these kind of complaints? I mean really, what the hell?

DamianTV
08-28-2012, 04:06 PM

Stupid people. The biggest problem with stupid people is they are so stupid that they cant even tell that they are stupid. Now, if it was possible to teach stupid people to keep their fucking mouths shut and not impose their stupid ideas on others, that would be a solution.

ZENemy
08-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Reality TV has taught everybody to be concerned about what everybody else is doing no matter how inane.

robert9712000
08-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Theres noway id give them 2 minutes of my time.Id just tell them your a moron and if you wanna act like a idiot and remove my child ,ill sue you for discrimination.

Tod
08-28-2012, 04:45 PM
I'm kind of surprised that there haven't been people who have legally changed their name to something like:

Ihavabomb N. Mybag

Bombu 2. Pieces

etc.

Try flying with a name like that!

Kylie
08-28-2012, 05:15 PM
You have got to be kidding.

NO.

And when they demand it be changed...HELL NO.

PaulConventionWV
08-28-2012, 05:29 PM
If he is required to change it from some sort of Gun to something else, I think it should be changed to be the Middle Finger.

--- edit ---

If they are going to implement heavy handed authoritarian bullshit like this, why dont they require anyone that even has the word "Gun" in their Name or Title to forcibly change that too? Like someone named "Gun"derson, or "Gun"nery Sgt.?

There are also kids named Gunnar. It's so offensive, my ears are bleeding just from saying it out loud. The Virgin Mary weeps...

mad cow
08-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Well,it might seem a little ridiculous now,but in a few years when he is six or seven,he could be robbing liquor stores with that name.

heavenlyboy34
08-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Self-righteous moral busybodies.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.C. S. Lewis (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/quotes/C._S._Lewis/)

youngbuck
08-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Zero Tolerance. Suck it up.

/s

TheTexan
08-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Stupid people. The biggest problem with stupid people is they are so stupid that they cant even tell that they are stupid. Now, if it was possible to teach stupid people to keep their fucking mouths shut and not impose their stupid ideas on others, that would be a solution.

Stupid people wouldn't be so stupid if all the stupid people before them didn't interject so much stupidity into their lives.

Because of that, each generation is more stupid than the generation before them. It's like a rolling snowball of stupidity.

Of course, stupidity costs money. It takes a lot of time and effort and resources to be so fucking stupid. So eventually our country will hit "stupidity bankruptcy" and reset. Hopefully this happens during the next economic collapse, because I'm really tired of their shit.

presence
08-28-2012, 06:02 PM
I think it should be changed to be the Middle Finger.

http://middlefinger.podbean.com/mf/web/kifdr/middlefingerkid2.jpg

xkrazy201x
08-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Normally, most people would make some remark about how "insane" such a thing is.

Nothing really insane about it.

Random, heavy handed enforcement of millions of obscure, unknowable and ridiculous rules, edicts, laws, codes and policies, meted out by an endless parade of petty "officials", is the hallmark of a police state.

Well said.

Lucille
08-28-2012, 06:31 PM
I saw this on twitter and thought it had to be from The Onion.

amy31416
08-28-2012, 09:44 PM
More asinine bullshit. What a surprise.

jclay2
08-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Sad, most average american's would agree with the handling of the situation. When I told my coworker (who is extremely angry at guns with the recent media highlighted shootings) that 9/11 victims were shot by the NYPD and that there never was a gun fight, he said that the police were doing their job. I nearly keeled over. It wasn't until I asked him how the media would treat it if a vigilante had shot 9 innocents in the process of killing 1 criminal that he started to see some sense.

susano
08-29-2012, 10:18 AM
Self-righteous moral busybodies.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.C. S. Lewis (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/quotes/C._S._Lewis/)

And, CS Lewis would not equivocate in saying exactly what power it is that controls these petty and dangerous creeps.

Am I the only one, when hearing these maddening stories, whose mind goes to stuff like culling the gene pool? Anyone who would do what they're trying to do this little boy is a worthless waste of skin and cannot be fixed.

Root
08-29-2012, 10:35 AM
I was going to post this story yesterday, but I didn't want it to get lost with all the RNC crap. Anyway, the school district backed down.

http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/School-District-Says-Deaf-Student-Not-Required-to-Change-Name-167784235.html

youngbuck
08-29-2012, 12:49 PM
And, CS Lewis would not equivocate in saying exactly what power it is that controls these petty and dangerous creeps.

Am I the only one, when hearing these maddening stories, whose mind goes to stuff like culling the gene pool? Anyone who would do what they're trying to do this little boy is a worthless waste of skin and cannot be fixed.

I find myself thinking that same at times. They're just maggots - truly a lower form of life.

Lucille
08-29-2012, 01:10 PM
I was going to post this story yesterday, but I didn't want it to get lost with all the RNC crap. Anyway, the school district backed down.

http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/School-District-Says-Deaf-Student-Not-Required-to-Change-Name-167784235.html

That's mighty f'n big of 'em!

They said they've been receiving hundreds of angry calls and emails, even death threats.

LOL...

The ACLU is getting involved in the case.

A letter from the organization to the school calls it a question of a students' form of chosen speech.

It reads, "A parent's choice of name for his child is one of the most personal aspects of the parent-child relationship and the district cannot step into the middle of that constitutionally protected relationship."

Nice to see the ACLU finally defend guns. ;)

Before he started homeschooling, my youngest was scolded in 4th for "holding his hand like a gun." He was just walking across the room and had his hand that way for whatever reason. The barrel was even pointed at the floor. I laughed in the "teachers'" faces when they told me about his prohibited hand gun-slinging ways. They couldn't even play Star Wars during recess b/c of the lightsabers they were pretending to hold. (Bunch of female chauvinists, them, and I told them so when we left the school. I told them they should just turn it into Montessori School for Girls and stop pretending they understand, or even like, boys.)

phill4paul
08-29-2012, 01:23 PM
(Bunch of female chauvinists, them, and I told them so when we left the school. I told them they should just turn it into Montessori School for Girls and stop pretending they like, or even understand, boys.)

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Lucille again.

As for a name change I suggest: THX-1138.

Barrex
08-29-2012, 01:27 PM
Well this made front page in Croatia on one of top 2 websites.

Stupid.

Kylie
08-29-2012, 10:35 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Lucille again.

As for a name change I suggest: THX-1138.

Got it covered. :)

DamianTV
08-30-2012, 03:21 AM
Wanna know how stupid people are?

Survey Reveals a Majority Believe "the Cloud" Is Affected by Weather
http://idle.slashdot.org/story/12/08/29/2215244/survey-reveals-a-majority-believe-the-cloud-is-affected-by-weather