PDA

View Full Version : Amish beard cutting a federal offence?

tod evans
08-28-2012, 06:08 AM
Geeze! Our tax dollars at work.....

Wonder how much this publicity stunt is costing?

Hate crimes trial against Amish begins.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/27/justice/amish-beard-cutting-trial/index.html?hpt=ju_c1

(CNN) -- Federal prosecutors are expected to argue that an Amish sect leader, accused of orchestrating beard-cutting attacks against fellow Amish men, was operating a cult out of his family compound in rural Ohio.
The sect leader, Samuel Mullet Sr., is one of 16 Amish men and women charged with federal hate crimes in the beard-cutting attacks last year. The trial began Monday with jury selection in federal court in Cleveland. Mullet and several of his sons, who were arrested in December, are among those on trial.
To the Amish, a beard is a significant symbol of faith and manhood.
Prosecutors have said the accused men and women, all members of Mullet's breakaway Amish sect, planned and carried out the attacks "on their perceived religious enemies" under Mullet's orders. CNN has sought a response from Mullet's attorney, Edward Bryan. Bryan has disputed the prosecution's characterization of his client, according to The Cleveland Plain Dealer.
Previously on CNN.com: 3 Amish men accused of cutting hair, beards of others
"They're trying to create this perception he's something he's not," Bryan told the newspaper. "He's not a wacky cult leader. He's a decent, hardworking, caring man."
According to witnesses cited in a federal affidavit, Mullet "forced extreme punishments" on anyone in his community who defied him, "including forcing members to sleep for days at a time in a chicken coop on his property." In addition, the affidavit alleges that, as the bishop of an Amish clan in Bergholz, Ohio, Mullet had "acts of sexual intimacy" with married women as part of "counseling" to "cleanse them of the devil."
If convicted, the defendants face a maximum penalty of life in prison, according to CNN affiliate WOIO-TV in Cleveland.
Usually, the Amish resolve disputes without involving law enforcement, but concerns that Mullet is operating a cult on his compound prompted some Amish members to report the beard-cutting incidents to police last fall.

From left, Daniel Mullet, Johnny Mullet, Lester Mullet, Eli Miller and Levi Miller are among those on trial.
Amish man Myron Miller was held down by men armed with scissors and battery-powered clippers who cut off a chunk of his beard, according to a police report. Arlene Miller said she and her husband decided to report the cutting to police in hopes of preventing other people from being hurt, including Mullet's followers, who "need help," she told CNN.
"There's a lot of lives being messed up down there. There's a lot of people being abused and brainwashed," Arlene Miller said.
The Millers said fear of reprisal attacks prompted them and other Amish residents in rural eastern Ohio to lock their doors at night -- something unheard of in Amish communities.
Mullet's sect is made up primarily of his relatives living on and around an 800-acre compound in a remote valley outside Bergholz, according to Jefferson County Sheriff Fred Abdalla.
Prosecutors have said Mullet "exerted control over the Bergholz community by taking the wives of other men into his home, and by overseeing various means of disciplining community members, including corporal punishment."
Those accusations could play a key part in the trial against Mullet and his co-defendants. Last week, a federal judge ruled that witnesses can testify about Mullet's alleged sexual activities at his compound in Bergholz, according to The Plain Dealer.
Group allegedly tied to Amish attacks Crime wave in Amish country Amish sect leader must pay for attorney
When reports of the beard-cutting attacks first surfaced last fall, they uncovered an ongoing split between Mullet's sect and the larger Amish community in and around Bergholz, many of whom believe that Mullet is creating rules and punishments that do not fit with the broader Amish belief system.
Aden Troyer said he was once part of the Mullet family compound. He married Mullet's daughter, Wilma, and the couple had two daughters. Concerned about the way Mullet was "ruling" his followers, Troyer said he started making arrangements to move his wife and children out of the group.
Not long after, Troyer said, Mullet began interfering with their marriage. Troyer said Mullet would ask women, including his wife, "about their sexual relationships with their husbands."
"That's very atypical behavior for Amish to do that," Troyer said. "It's unheard of."
He said, "In the Amish community, no one has jurisdiction over what goes on between a husband and wife. He's the only guy and only leader that I know of that ever has gotten into an Amish couple's married life."
Troyer divorced and left the sect in 2007 with full custody of his two daughters.
When CNN traveled to Mullet's compound last fall before his arrest, Mullet denied he was running a cult. When asked about allegations that he orchestrated the beard-cutting attacks, he responded, "Beard-cutting is a crime, is it?"
Asked about the accusation that he split up his daughter's marriage to Troyer, Mullet responded, "Maybe you should ask the people whose beards were cut about the marriages they've split up."
He refused to elaborate.
Abdalla, the sheriff, told CNN last fall that he fears the situation could come to a dramatic demise.
"If I were to get a call right now telling me, 'Sheriff, they're all dead in the community out there,' it wouldn't surprise me,' " he said.

fisharmor
08-28-2012, 06:24 AM
Everyone knows Mullets and beards don't go together.

tod evans
08-28-2012, 06:26 AM
Everyone knows Mullets and beards don't go together.

Neither do Amish and feds.....

moostraks
08-28-2012, 08:25 AM
“Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear.” Albert Camus
It is similar in my opnion to the strongarm tactics Romney and the RNC have taken with Paul supporters. They aren't going to persuade the Amish through this method that they are anything other than brutes with a badge.

Anti Federalist
02-09-2013, 03:35 PM
15 years in prison.

Basically a life sentence.

But cops will skate when they kill people.

Ah well, government has had its horns out for the Amish for years now.

Catch the government mouthpiece spin as well.

Samuel Mullet Sr., ringleader of Amish beard-cutting attacks, sentenced to 15 years in prison

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57568426-504083/samuel-mullet-sr-ringleader-of-amish-beard-cutting-attacks-sentenced-to-15-years-in-prison/

Anti Federalist
02-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Bearding the Amish in Their Dens

Posted by Becky Akers on February 9, 2013 09:36 AM

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/132091.html#more-132091

It takes an especially vicious bully to beat up on the Amish, hard-working pacifists who have proved over the centuries that they will not fight back no matter how violent or senseless their persecutors.

How tragic but characteristic, then, that Our Rulers have sentenced Samuel Mullet, Sr, a 67-year-old Amish man, to 15 years in prison (draconian as that is, the prosecutor had demanded life). They will incarcerate some of his friends and family, too, most of them younger with children, though for lesser sentences.

What heinous crime did these farmers, woodworkers, mothers and fathers commit? They cut beards and hair. Yes. Off other Amish.

No, the barbers had no licenses. But that doesn’t seem to be the problem here. Mr. Mullet and his followers contended that their victims had violated Amish strictures, so the tonsure was by way of punishment on unwilling culprits. The Feds inflate that to a "hate crime."

Like me you’re probably questioning just how much force Mr. Mullet, committed to beliefs that eschew physical compulsion, brought against friends and neighbors who disagreed with him. Folks, by the way, who can renounce their religion or move to another Amish community if they dislike their current one. And whose beards and hair grew back, as Mr. Mullet’s grandson observed.

That’s why you, I, and Mr. Sensible Grandson do not sponge off the taxpayers as prosecutors or judges. These smug and arrogant thugs are jailing 16 people for years, depriving children of their parents and devastating a community, while eviscerating the First Amendment. All in a day’s “work” for Leviathan.

Said tyrants can congratulate themselves, too, as their efforts add America to the list of nations that have tormented the Amish throughout history. I laughed as a child when I read of the ridiculously harmless points of Amish doctrine European dictators cited as an excuse to prey on these innocents. Thanks to Judge Dan Aaron Polster and federal prosecutor Bridget Brennan in Cleveland, Ohio for adding us to this shameful list.

Even the Roman Empire, with its crucifixions, gladiatorial “games,” and enmity to freedom, tried to avoid interfering in religious controversies. Pontius Pilate hoped to return Jesus Christ to the high priests and Sanhedrin when he realized their charges against an innocent Man arose from just such a squabble.

Ditto for Governor Felix and “King” Agrippa a few decades later, when Paul stood before them with the Sanhedrin once again clamoring for blood. Nero was emperor then, yet even his horrific regime hesitated to interfere in religious disputes.

Just how much more tyrannical can America grow?

tod evans
02-09-2013, 03:40 PM
Insane!

Occam's Banana
02-09-2013, 03:46 PM
I feel so much safer now ...

sailingaway
02-09-2013, 03:51 PM
I commented on another thread on this. Hate crimes are thought crimes and outrageous. However assault and battery is assault and battery in both criminal law and tort and one's expression of faith being injured could go both to damages and punitive damages. The feds belong nowhere in there.

Henry Rogue
02-09-2013, 03:55 PM
15 years in prison.

Basically a life sentence.

But cops will skate when they kill people.

Ah well, government has had its horns out for the Amish for years now.

Catch the government mouthpiece spin as well.

Samuel Mullet Sr., ringleader of Amish beard-cutting attacks, sentenced to 15 years in prison

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57568426-504083/samuel-mullet-sr-ringleader-of-amish-beard-cutting-attacks-sentenced-to-15-years-in-prison/
Jeez, 15 years, not exactly an eye for an eye. If a guy shaved my beard off I'd be pissed, especially a guy with a shacky hand and a straight razor. How about they just let me punch him in the mouth, my beard will grow back. Guys get along better after they duke it out anyway.

sailingaway
02-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Yeah, 15 years is bad. It goes to the hate crime bit which is a VERY bad precedent.

MelissaWV
02-09-2013, 03:59 PM
But isn't the Government throwing an Amish man in prison?

sailingaway
02-09-2013, 04:00 PM

Yeah, but he was the attacker. I don't remember the details but there were arguments with a faction or something. But you are right that is doesn't seem to be just hate of Amish here. However the attack immediately went to displays of faith to destroy them.

Hate crime as a concept is incredibly immoral, however.

heavenlyboy34
02-09-2013, 04:02 PM
Every time I think they can't sink any lower, the regime surprises me by sinking lower. I guess it's about time the Quakers got Protected And Served too, eh? WTF? :mad:

Dr.3D
02-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Yeah, sounds to me like it's just an excuse to throw someone they don't like in prison.

oyarde
02-10-2013, 12:45 AM
I have read about this several times and I still find it bizzare. Who the hell would sleep in that guys chicken house ?

oyarde
02-10-2013, 12:46 AM
I have been around alot of Amish , Menonites in a couple of states, I never knew any to be crazy ....

LibForestPaul
02-10-2013, 08:03 AM
15 years X 30,000 year incaceration costs = 450,000 tax dollars

$200 hr flat fee for lawyer criminal case. Judge, prosecutors, officers, court officers, court clerks, 3 wks -federal docket
10 men * 3 wks * 40hrs = 1200 * 200 = 24k

* 10 verdicts = $$$$