PDA

View Full Version : IA-Cop shoots family dog in back yard.

Anti Federalist
08-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Pitbull's Owners Speak Out After Officer Shoots Dog In Face

http://www.kcautv.com/story/19390241/pitbulls-owners-speak-out-after-local-officer-shoots-dog-in-faace

By: Jessica Cihacek

jcihacek@kcautv.com

Lyle Simpson and his family are the owners of two pitbulls. One, a nine-year-old, by the name of Mary Jane.

On Sunday afternoon, that dog was shot in the face by an Onawa police officer who was investigating a possible vandalism at the home next door.

Simpson says, "Blood was just pouring out of her, I come out and said, 'What are you doing??' And he said that she attacked."

Gary Addy, Onawa's Police Chief, says, "The officer felt that he was in danger of being attacked by these two dogs that were acting very aggressively and he did what he felt he had to do."

Officer Joe Farrens says he shot the dog when it ran into the street. But Simpson says his son was just feet away from the shooting and says it happened much differently.

So does one woman who witnessed everything from across the street.

Nicole Dicks, an eyewitness, says, "It was almost like he was charging the dog like he was trying to get the dog to respond, because the dog was totally fine, I mean, like I said, he was at the corner of the yard. He shot the dog in the yard."

But even if the dog was in the yard, by law, it could still be considered self defense. That's because according to Onawa city code, pet owners must have full control of their pets at all time.

Chief Addy explains, "Either chained up, penned up or in the house."

Otherwise, they're considered "at large." Mary Jane was neither chained up or penned. Simpson has been warned about this city ordinance. About two months ago he received a citation for having Mary Jane "at large," which Simpson says he fully intends on fighting.

He adds, "I don't have nothing against anybody personally, but the policy stinks."

phill4paul
08-27-2012, 09:21 PM
About two months ago he received a citation for having Mary Jane "at large," which Simpson says he fully intends on fighting.

Makes me wonder if there was an actual 'possible vandalism' reported.

aGameOfThrones
08-28-2012, 04:08 AM
But even if the dog was in the yard, by law, it could still be considered self defense. That's because according to Onawa city code, pet owners must have full control of their pets at all time.

You can't even be in your own home without being shoot at, sheesh. I'll bet he thought it was a dangerous bag of marijuana(Mary Jane)with legs.

aGameOfThrones
08-28-2012, 04:08 AM

You can't even be in your own home without being shoot at, sheesh. I'll bet he thought it was a dangerous bag of marijuana(Mary Jane)with legs.