PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Malkin email phone list to lobby for RNC minority report for rules

sailingaway
08-27-2012, 07:58 PM
http://michellemalkin.com/2012/08/27/floor-fight-grass-roots-activists-battle-attempt-to-rig-gop-convention-delegate-rules/

It is grass roots against elite, or the old Reagan / Rockefeller divide.

I tweeted this to her: @michellemalkin RNC Rules is the old Reagan v Rockefeller Republican divide, TAKE CLOSE LOOK at WHO is on WHICH side!! #tcot #teaparty #RNC

It is about time other conservatives smelled the roses and figured out who is and who is not conservative. The divide on the rules, states rights so the PEOPLE control v. national, top down control, is a perfect metaphor.

Monotaur
08-27-2012, 08:00 PM
One of our CO Paul delegates is sending around something similar (I haven't read your entire article yet, but guessing):

http://www.nagr.org/statepartyhhq.aspx

Lucille
08-27-2012, 08:13 PM
From the comments:

On August 27th, 2012 at 3:29 pm, MacEamonn said:
Sarah Palin warned the Republican Establishment over the weekend that if they don’t stop their pelosi a Third Party is in their future and the Republican Party will go the way of the Whigs. Apparently the Establishment is either too stupid to understand or they don’t care.
Palin Hints at Formation of Third Party (http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Sarah-Palin-third-party/2012/08/26/id/449786)

angelatc
08-27-2012, 09:08 PM
That article is updated - it now says they've struck a deal.

sailingaway
08-27-2012, 09:09 PM
That article is updated - it now says they've struck a deal.

thanks, I was hearing that but I hadn't checked the article.

Lucille
08-28-2012, 09:07 AM
More updates:

==>Read Mark Levin weighing in against the RNC Power Grab:

Damn it, defeat this RINO power grab!
http://www.buzzfeed.com/zekejmiller/romney-rules-changes-could-spark-gop-convention-fl

Conservatives of all stripes, especially Tea Party activists, this is an attempt to destroy your ability to influence the presidential and vice presidential nomination process in the Republican Party. It is an attempt to eviscerate the input of state parties. It is a brazen assault on the grassroots. And it is sleazy to the core.

If I didn't know better, I'd think Obama was behind it. Instead, Romney's operatives are orchestrating it.

Update: 10:53pm Eastern…So here’s the upshot. As you read above in Drew’s summary, grass-roots activists revolted over Rule 15 (the delegate selection provision to be renumbered Rule 16) and Rule 12 (the power grab that would allow the RNC to make executive convention rule changes and rewrite the rules between conventions without any input/consultation with grass-roots, delegates, or state leadership on hand).

As long as the proposed Rule 12 remains in place, this “deal” or “compromise” must be a no-go. Don’t back down, activists!

A source tells me the situation on the ground and in delegate meetings right now is “tense” and “dynamic.” It’s a very healthy alternative to stale, apathetic, passive, and static.

I am also hearing complaints of heavy-handed legal maneuvering involving the brave dissenters.

Watch it with those brass knuckles, GOP brass.

This is a showdown worth having — the flexing of Tea Party/grass-roots muscle is a reminder that the rank-and-file are a force never to be taken for granted.
Update: 11:53pm Eastern Sarah Palin weighs in while campaigning on the road in Arizona. From her Facebook page:

We have to remember that this election is not just about replacing the party in power. It’s about who and what we replace it with. Grassroots conservatives know this. Without the energy and wisdom of the grassroots, the GOP would not have had the historic 2010 electoral victories. That’s why the controversial rule change being debated at the RNC convention right now is so very disappointing. It’s a direct attack on grassroots activists by the GOP establishment, and it must be rejected.

And one last update from stalwart foot soldier on the ground, Drew McKissick, who e-mails tonight:

Just as an update, it’s been a busy evening as you’ve probably gathered. It looks like there’s an acceptable compromise on the table on rule 15/16, but nothing yet on them pulling back the new “rule 12″, which lets the RNC change the rules between conventions.

They try to sell this to people with the idea that it is a high bar (75%), but a few things:

1) As longtime conservative activist and RNC committeeman from VA Morton Blackwell points out, this is no safeguard, because the chairman generally gets whatever the chairman wants. No disrespect intended to Priebus in that, but who knows who the next chairman may be. He points out that the chair always has lots of favors to give away.

2) The RNC has never had this power before (with the minor exception limited to the fixing of the primary calendar issue in 2008 in order to coordinate w/various state governments and Democrats). Rule making authority has ALWAYS been with the convention…and it remains set for 4 years…so ALL campaigns or potential campaigns konw what the rules will be. If the RNC has this authority, it will soon become a battleground for various presidential contenders looking to monkey with the rules to give themselves a leg up over the competition.

3) If this is so necesary for some specific purpose, why not limit it to that purpose? Kind of makes you wonder…

Bottom line, everyone I’ve talked to so far is holding fast on objecting to Rule 12 and supportive of a minority report…as well as having the states necessary to require a roll call vote on it if necessary.

All that needs to happen to turn this off is for them to agree to pull this rule back at the same time they move the compromise on Rule 15/16. Then we can all go have a beer can celebrate and then start focusing on fighting Democrats.

Please encourage people to continue to contact Rules Committee members and party leaders and keep the pressure on opposing Rule 12.

Update 9am MT 8/28: Erick Erickson writes this morning:

At 2:00 p.m. today in Tampa, the Republican National Committee, led by Team Romney, is moving to shut down conservative grassroots activists. I’ve been on the phone with several individuals involved in the fight who tell me that the fight is not over, it is only just starting.

Specifically, the media is reporting that the rules fight is over because Team Romney is abandoning Ben Ginsberg’s effort to allow candidates to control delegates. Under an initial proposal, delegates would, in effect, be chosen by the presumed nominee’s campaign and not based on votes in the states and delegate selection processes in the states.

That issue appears resolved, but several people I’ve spoken to make clear that Team Romney and the RNC establishment are using that compromise as a red herring to distract from two major rules change proposals that would decimate Republican grassroots and prevent upstart political campaigns.

The first rule to be proposed is one that would give the Republican National Committee the power to change rules between conventions with a three-quarters vote of the RNC. One source tells me, “With a Republican President, of course this is doable. Everybody will roll over if a President Romney asks them too. They’ll be able to get Ben Ginsberg’s proposal next year.”

In other words, if Team Romney prevails in this rules change, they don’t have to worry about Ben Ginsberg not getting his way today on the delegate changes. They’ll be able to do it later when the press and grassroots are not watching.

Take note of this reporting from Shane Wright and Jim Hoft at FreedomWorks:

The ramifications for grassroots activist and state GOP’s are vast. This rule change would allow a candidate to select his or her own delegates, essentially the nominee would get to choose those who nominate him instead of the states. This proposed rule change is starting to sound more like an Obama executive order.

Tom Washington, who is speaking on his own accord but serves as the Assistant Treasurer for the Republican Party of Texas, told us, “If Romney, or any other candidate can select their own delegates the entire convention process will have been hijacked and eliminate the grassroots influence.”

Another source, Cathie Adams, the former chair of the Republican Party of Texas, told us that this could be destined to floor fight. Adams added, “We want the freedom to elect our own delegates. It’s motivated by the grassroots influence.”Adams also said Romney’s attorney may be working to influence members of the rules committee.

The RNC is trying to pass an amendment to RNC Rule 12 that would allow the RNC Committee to amend the rules. In the future, if the grassroots is able to influence the convention process and RNC leadership is displeased, they will have a contingency plan where they can reconvene and with a three-fourths majority to rewrite the rules without the influence of any state party, grassroots organization or delegate.

Please Act Now–

georgiaboy
08-28-2012, 09:13 AM
now it's a party

sailingaway
08-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Lucille's updates are super important as is the fact that spontaneous order is occurring as we and the other conservatives all see our own best interests in the same way. Which is to say, why are those idiots voting for Romney?

==>Read Mark Levin weighing in against the RNC Power Grab:

Damn it, defeat this RINO power grab!
http://www.buzzfeed.com/zekejmiller/...-convention-fl

Conservatives of all stripes, especially Tea Party activists, this is an attempt to destroy your ability to influence the presidential and vice presidential nomination process in the Republican Party. It is an attempt to eviscerate the input of state parties. It is a brazen assault on the grassroots. And it is sleazy to the core.

If I didn't know better, I'd think Obama was behind it. Instead, Romney's operatives are orchestrating it.
Update: 10:53pm Eastern…So here’s the upshot. As you read above in Drew’s summary, grass-roots activists revolted over Rule 15 (the delegate selection provision to be renumbered Rule 16) and Rule 12 (the power grab that would allow the RNC to make executive convention rule changes and rewrite the rules between conventions without any input/consultation with grass-roots, delegates, or state leadership on hand).

As long as the proposed Rule 12 remains in place, this “deal” or “compromise” must be a no-go. Don’t back down, activists!

A source tells me the situation on the ground and in delegate meetings right now is “tense” and “dynamic.” It’s a very healthy alternative to stale, apathetic, passive, and static.

I am also hearing complaints of heavy-handed legal maneuvering involving the brave dissenters.

Watch it with those brass knuckles, GOP brass.

This is a showdown worth having — the flexing of Tea Party/grass-roots muscle is a reminder that the rank-and-file are a force never to be taken for granted.
Update: 11:53pm Eastern Sarah Palin weighs in while campaigning on the road in Arizona. From her Facebook page:

We have to remember that this election is not just about replacing the party in power. It’s about who and what we replace it with. Grassroots conservatives know this. Without the energy and wisdom of the grassroots, the GOP would not have had the historic 2010 electoral victories. That’s why the controversial rule change being debated at the RNC convention right now is so very disappointing. It’s a direct attack on grassroots activists by the GOP establishment, and it must be rejected.
And one last update from stalwart foot soldier on the ground, Drew McKissick, who e-mails tonight:

Just as an update, it’s been a busy evening as you’ve probably gathered. It looks like there’s an acceptable compromise on the table on rule 15/16, but nothing yet on them pulling back the new “rule 12″, which lets the RNC change the rules between conventions.

They try to sell this to people with the idea that it is a high bar (75%), but a few things:

1) As longtime conservative activist and RNC committeeman from VA Morton Blackwell points out, this is no safeguard, because the chairman generally gets whatever the chairman wants. No disrespect intended to Priebus in that, but who knows who the next chairman may be. He points out that the chair always has lots of favors to give away.

2) The RNC has never had this power before (with the minor exception limited to the fixing of the primary calendar issue in 2008 in order to coordinate w/various state governments and Democrats). Rule making authority has ALWAYS been with the convention…and it remains set for 4 years…so ALL campaigns or potential campaigns konw what the rules will be. If the RNC has this authority, it will soon become a battleground for various presidential contenders looking to monkey with the rules to give themselves a leg up over the competition.

3) If this is so necesary for some specific purpose, why not limit it to that purpose? Kind of makes you wonder…

Bottom line, everyone I’ve talked to so far is holding fast on objecting to Rule 12 and supportive of a minority report…as well as having the states necessary to require a roll call vote on it if necessary.

All that needs to happen to turn this off is for them to agree to pull this rule back at the same time they move the compromise on Rule 15/16. Then we can all go have a beer can celebrate and then start focusing on fighting Democrats.

Please encourage people to continue to contact Rules Committee members and party leaders and keep the pressure on opposing Rule 12.
Update 9am MT 8/28: Erick Erickson writes this morning:

At 2:00 p.m. today in Tampa, the Republican National Committee, led by Team Romney, is moving to shut down conservative grassroots activists. I’ve been on the phone with several individuals involved in the fight who tell me that the fight is not over, it is only just starting.

Specifically, the media is reporting that the rules fight is over because Team Romney is abandoning Ben Ginsberg’s effort to allow candidates to control delegates. Under an initial proposal, delegates would, in effect, be chosen by the presumed nominee’s campaign and not based on votes in the states and delegate selection processes in the states.

That issue appears resolved, but several people I’ve spoken to make clear that Team Romney and the RNC establishment are using that compromise as a red herring to distract from two major rules change proposals that would decimate Republican grassroots and prevent upstart political campaigns.

The first rule to be proposed is one that would give the Republican National Committee the power to change rules between conventions with a three-quarters vote of the RNC. One source tells me, “With a Republican President, of course this is doable. Everybody will roll over if a President Romney asks them too. They’ll be able to get Ben Ginsberg’s proposal next year.”

In other words, if Team Romney prevails in this rules change, they don’t have to worry about Ben Ginsberg not getting his way today on the delegate changes. They’ll be able to do it later when the press and grassroots are not watching.
Take note of this reporting from Shane Wright and Jim Hoft at FreedomWorks:

The ramifications for grassroots activist and state GOP’s are vast. This rule change would allow a candidate to select his or her own delegates, essentially the nominee would get to choose those who nominate him instead of the states. This proposed rule change is starting to sound more like an Obama executive order.

Tom Washington, who is speaking on his own accord but serves as the Assistant Treasurer for the Republican Party of Texas, told us, “If Romney, or any other candidate can select their own delegates the entire convention process will have been hijacked and eliminate the grassroots influence.”

Another source, Cathie Adams, the former chair of the Republican Party of Texas, told us that this could be destined to floor fight. Adams added, “We want the freedom to elect our own delegates. It’s motivated by the grassroots influence.”Adams also said Romney’s attorney may be working to influence members of the rules committee.

The RNC is trying to pass an amendment to RNC Rule 12 that would allow the RNC Committee to amend the rules. In the future, if the grassroots is able to influence the convention process and RNC leadership is displeased, they will have a contingency plan where they can reconvene and with a three-fourths majority to rewrite the rules without the influence of any state party, grassroots organization or delegate.

Please Act Now–

ClydeCoulter
08-28-2012, 10:19 AM
I get "Page Not Found" at that link, sailingaway.

wgadget
08-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Haha..Erickson is even reporting on it? Good for him.

sailingaway
08-28-2012, 10:24 AM
I get "Page Not Found" at that link, sailingaway.
did you look through Lucille's? I did a copy and past from hers and the link may have been truncated.

ClydeCoulter
08-28-2012, 10:25 AM
did you look through Lucille's? I did a copy and past from hers and the link may have been truncated.

I'll repost it here: http://www.buzzfeed.com/zekejmiller/romney-rules-changes-could-spark-gop-convention-fl (works)

Lucille
08-28-2012, 10:30 AM
More:

RNC power grab showdown 2pm
[...]
Update: And the latest from Freedomworks….

Basically, this so-called “compromise” on delegate selection in Rule 15 means nothing as long as Rule 12 allows the RNC to change the rules without oversight. Rule 12 would enable an RNC chairman to enact almost any rules change he or she desired, centralizing control of the party and removing the input of grassroots activists. This is an insider, establishment shell game at its worst.

Please call your state’s Rules Committee delegates here and ask that they oppose the “compromise” on Rule 15, oppose the changes to Rule 12, and support the full Minority Reports on the Rules.

Thank you.

More:

According to www.preservetheparty.com, a website started this week by delegates to help raise awareness on this issue, proposed rule 12 reads: “The Republican National Committee may, by three-fourths (3/4) vote of its entire membership, amend Rule Nos. 1-11 and 13-25. Any such amendment shall be considered by the Republican National Committee only if it was passed by a majority vote of the Standing Committee on Rules after having been submitted in writing at least ten (10) days in advance of its consideration by the Republican National Committee and shall take effect thirty (30) days after adoption. No such amendment shall be adopted after September 30, 2014.

The language of rule 12 makes the compromise on Rule 16, which would essentially allow a candidate to hire and fire delegates as they see fit, a farce, the RNC can simply go back and rewrite the rules once the convention is over.

I spoke with Jeremy Blosser, a Texas delegate, who is furious over the compromise because it does not address proposed rule 12.

“Some are answering that Rule 12 has checks and balances, but far too much is being made of these. There’s no “emergency changes only” requirement, and it’s clear from the debate offered in the committee that the intention is to not restrict it to emergency changes but to allow consideration of substantive and controversial changes that the candidates prevent being discussed during the convention media cycle. There’s no ratification requirement such as requiring a number of State Executive Committees to ratify, or the next national convention to ratify. There’s no attempt to preserve the strength of the individual states.”

If this rule stands it will operate as a contingency plan for the RNC, should Grassroots organizations gain more influence than RNC leadership is comfortable with. This must be stopped.

The vote is happening today. Please call your state’s Rules Committee delegates here and voice your opposition to the “compromise” on Rule 15, as well as to the changes to Rule 12, and support the full Minority Reports on the Rules.

Lucille
08-28-2012, 10:46 AM
More

Rush weighs in; purge underway?

Update 12:23pm Eastern Rush Limbaugh weighed in this afternoon: “The establishment GOP wants to kick conservatives out of the party.”

Update: Freedomworks’ Michael Duncan reports a purge may now be underway:

just got off the phone with a concerned Florida activist, Laura Noble, who informed me that both of Florida’s Rules Committee members, Peter Feaman and Kathleen King, have been removed from the Rules committee and replaced with Romney-appointed delegates.

Clearly anticipating a grassroots backlash against the “compromise” on Rule 15 and the changes on Rule 12 has caused the Romney camp to preemptively replace delegates to ensure they have support on the Rules Committee.

It’s enough to make your blood boil. Please call your state’s Rules Committee delegates here and ask that they oppose the “compromise” on Rule 15, oppose the changes to Rule 12, and support the full Minority Reports on the Rules.

Lucille
08-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Welcome to our world, Tea Partiers.

Lucille
08-28-2012, 01:44 PM
More

Rules Cmte votes 78-14 for deal; dissidents gather sigs for floor fight

Update 2:50pm Eastern…The Rules Committee just voted 78-14 to accept the Romney-approved deal on Rules 15(16) and 12. There is now an effort to gather enough signatures to force a floor vote on the minority report. 25 percent of committee members are needed.
Apparently, the Virginia delegation was stuck on a bus and didn’t make it in time for the vote.
Update 3:34pm Eastern Dissidents have until 3:47pm Eastern to gather enough signatures to force the floor vote, according to right-leaning Examiner’s Tim Carney, who is on scene. Left-leaning BuzzFeed’s Zeke Miller, also on scene, says it appears dissidents have gathered enough signatures for minority report on Rule 12, but not yet on Rule 15(16).

Lucille
08-28-2012, 02:43 PM
They pretended none of it existed. The Stalinists won.

"Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything."
--Joseph Stalin

Update: 4:34pm Eastern Well, that was…something else. First, Maine delegates were replaced with Romney people. Then, rules chairman John Sununu and GOP Speaker of the House John Boehner stood on stage at the RNC to rule on the compromise rules report. No minority report was mentioned. When asked for yeas and nays on the report, the room seemed equally divided. Boehner forged ahead and approved the report over loud boos and calls of “point of order” from activists on the floor.
No vote on the minority report.
FW’s Dean Clancy observes: “If @SpeakerBoehner had been wielding the Speaker’s gavel instead of the GOP convention gavel, he wouldn’t have gotten away with that trick.”
And the show went on…GOP Rep. Marsha Blackburn just declared that “this has been a great exercise in grass-roots” and that GOP stands for “Great Opportunity Party.”

Lucille
08-30-2012, 05:29 PM
RNC power grab: the aftermath
http://michellemalkin.com/2012/08/29/rnc-power-grab-the-aftermath/

There were several inspiring speeches delivered at last night’s Republican National Convention. Talk of “unity” filled the air. Many GOP leaders praised the “grass-roots.” But behind the scenes, the RNC power grab has exacerbated distrust between a diverse group of rank-and-file activists and party bosses.

I have no patience for the Republican party-bots telling these front-line soldiers to shut up in the name of unity — and to hide “in-fighting” because the Left will publicize it. It should be publicized. Conservative activists and Tea Party members have worked their asses off within the system, doing the groundwork of righting the wayward GOP ship from the inside. These are the door-knockers, sign-makers, phone-bankers, and message-spreaders who fueled the Tea Party revolution and who enabled the 2010 GOP midterm victories. They fought for and earned their place at the table.

I also have no patience for the sideline-sitters who gripe that rules fights are booooooring and meaningless. The Tea Party conservative activists are doing what an effective movement is supposed to be: They’ve moved on from protests and rallies to the nuts and bolts of party politics. These battles matter, because exercising grass-roots muscles makes them stronger.

Finally, I have no patience for the addled critics who think we are unable to multi-task. Yes, you can criticize bad GOP maneuvers AND maintain the fight against Obama and the progressives at the same time! It’s easy if you try.

Below, I’m reprinting the after-action report from veteran conservative blogger and South Carolina GOP activist Drew McKissick, who first alerted me to the battle earlier this week.

The bottom line: Get organized, get loud, and stay vigilant. No matter who ends up in the White House in January, no matter what letter follows the names of the people in power in Washington, the grass-roots conservative movement must be prepared to stand its ground. Forewarned is forearmed.

"I insisted on having almost dictatorial powers."
--Mitt Romney (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?388191-Mitt-Romney-quot-I-insisted-on-having-almost-dictatorial-powers.-quot)

And he still does.