PDA

View Full Version : Texas delegates planning floor mutiny over RNC rules changes

Neil Desmond
08-27-2012, 06:33 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/texas-delegates-planning-floor-mutiny-over-rnc-rules-225837647.html

Aratus
08-27-2012, 06:35 PM
we may be 20 hours away from a rootin' tootin' classic 1800s brouhaha donnybrook of a convention

Pauls' Revere
08-27-2012, 06:36 PM
TAMPA--On Monday morning, at a meeting of more than 100 Texan delegates and alternates at the Saddlebrook Resort 20 miles north of Tampa, one topic got the crowd more fired up than any other. Delegate Melinda Fredricks read aloud a letter condemning recent changes to the national Republican party's rules that would allow the GOP presidential candidate to veto and replace state delegates.

"Our delegates are in shock that such an amendment even would be presented before the Rules Committee much less passed into rule," Fredricks said. "Please know from the Texas delegation standpoint that the only way a floor fight can be avoided is for this rule to be stricken."

At that point, the entire Texas delegation stood up and applauded.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/texas-delegates-planning-floor-mutiny-over-rnc-rules-225837647.html

Texans don't necessarily want to have an ugly floor fight on the same day the party officially nominates Mitt Romney. But they're willing to do it if their concerns about the rule aren't satisfied. The changes, which Mitt Romney's top lawyer put forward last week and Gov. Haley Barbour along with some other Romney supporters have embraced, are seen by opponents as intended to significantly weaken the power of grassroots politics and insurgent candidates such as Ron Paul. Many against the move worry that it would give national candidates the power to replace delegates--often grassroots party faithfuls--with big-time donors or friends.

I hope they do it! Screw the GOP!

parocks
08-27-2012, 06:38 PM
our delegates should be paying attention to this.

FSP-Rebel
08-27-2012, 06:41 PM
our delegates should be paying attention to this.
Ya, outside of doing what they can for Ron, this should top the priority list.

Lucille
08-27-2012, 06:43 PM
I pray they kill those changes. If not tomorrow, then WE will, and soon.

Romney is such a petty little tyrant. I just can't believe that the GOP is willing to throw so much away for the Massachusetts progressive Mandate Mitt RomneyCare. I dislike that man more with every passing day.

Aratus
08-27-2012, 06:44 PM
the W's inherited army of hacks is only barely tolerating baystater mitt as they await jeb's wry wit

tod evans
08-27-2012, 06:47 PM
I hope this upsets the apple cart...

Number19
08-27-2012, 07:03 PM
As was pointed out, the RP faction represents only a small percentage of the total Texas delegate count. But two years ago the grassroots took control of the Texas party from the establishment and I'm rightly pleased to see them standing up and threatening a floor fight over this issue.

MozoVote
08-27-2012, 07:11 PM
Even the "establishment" Republicans should be having a "Hey, wait a minute..." reaction to these rules. Romney is only "this cycle's nominee". If this is such a good idea, why wasn't it done 100 years ago? Shouldn't the establishment people who have built the party over the last 20,30,40 years care that the delegates can be upended by a presidential nominee? Who runs the party, anyway!?!?

This makes the GOP seem more like Mexico's PRI or Russia's party of Putin.

rockandrollsouls
08-27-2012, 07:19 PM
In light of Romney losing ground in NC, and Florida, and trying to royally screw the other delegates at the GOP, I'd love to see them unite and throw Ron into nomination. That would be something spectacular.

tangent4ronpaul
08-27-2012, 07:29 PM
It's dawning on me that Romney and the GOP may have just given us the presidential nomination...

hmmm...

:D

-t

Smitty
08-27-2012, 07:32 PM
With any luck, the GOP thugs will only use fire hoses on them and not bring in the German Shepherds,...

Lucille
08-27-2012, 07:33 PM
They compromised.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?387552-Rule-Change-Compromise&p=4606175

tangent4ronpaul
08-27-2012, 07:34 PM
On national TV - oh, that would be priceless!

-t

MikeStanart
08-27-2012, 07:56 PM
My contacts tell me that Texas is unanimous behind crushing this rule. Other states need to join in. Make other delegates aware of this ASAP.

wgadget
08-27-2012, 07:59 PM
The story about the Paul people wanting to raise hell at the convention was on the 9:30pm news on my local radio station, WSB in Atlanta.

rockandrollsouls
08-27-2012, 08:23 PM

Are they unanimous behind crushing a Romney nomination as well?

My contacts tell me that Texas is unanimous behind crushing this rule. Other states need to join in. Make other delegates aware of this ASAP.

truthspeaker
08-27-2012, 08:39 PM

Are they unanimous behind crushing a Romney nomination as well?

Just read an article from the Houston Chron. http://blog.chron.com/txpotomac/2012/08/texans-join-uprising-against-rnc-rules-change/

<<Paul’s allies were taking advantage of a one-day delay of convention events spurred by tropical storm Isaac to drum up support.
Texas Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson said the decision to push the rules change “to get rid of rogue delegates” is only revving up Paul’s supporters and undoing gains from Romney’s decision to tap Paul Ryan to be vice president.

“I have yet to encounter anyone who thinks this is a good idea,” he said.

“If you wanted to motivate your base, you did that when you chose Paul Ryan as vice president,” Patterson said, but now conservative delegates are angry.

“You undo it when you try to ramrod this through,” he said. “This is something Hugo Chavez would do.”

******, an alternate delegate from *******, Texas, who now backs Romney, said he was “really concerned about this takeover of the rules” and said it could backfire on Romney and Republican leadership.

“It concerns me that (some rules committee members are) just falling in line with what Romney wants,” he added. “We ought to stand on our base principles. What he’s doing is forcing those of us who are for him to vote with the Ron Paul people.”

Party leaders from other states opposing the change warned delegates that the proposal would allow GOP insiders to hand-select delegates and reward top donors, instead of allowing the seats to be filled by rank-and-file members.>>

truthspeaker
08-27-2012, 08:40 PM
pray for our delegate's safety and good communication folks! Please!

MozoVote
08-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Haha, a mainstream article with quotes from delegates, comparing the RNC to King George and Hugo Chavez :toady:

Aratus
08-27-2012, 08:44 PM
someone wanted to bring back the hoary old patronage system that was tariff era
and dominating the GOP in the late 1800s where each state is broken down into
counties or city neighborhoods and a party boss hands out favors quicker than
you can opine on the life of thomas nast and his legendary political cartoons.

tangent4ronpaul
08-27-2012, 08:52 PM
... What he’s doing is forcing those of us who are for him to vote with the Ron Paul people.”

Party leaders from other states opposing the change warned delegates that the proposal would allow GOP insiders to hand-select delegates and reward top donors, instead of allowing the seats to be filled by rank-and-file members.>>

WHOOOO HOOO!!!!

STRAP ON THOSE GOLF SHOES AND TAP DANCE ON YOUR DICK ROMNEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-t

Carlybee
08-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Every state should do the same if they don't want a game changing possibly irreversable precedent to take place.

LibertyEagle
08-27-2012, 09:51 PM
Now is the time to cause a ruckus. This cannot be allowed to pass.

Lucille
08-27-2012, 09:54 PM
<<Paul’s allies were taking advantage of a one-day delay of convention events spurred by tropical storm Isaac to drum up support.
Texas Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson said the decision to push the rules change “to get rid of rogue delegates” is only revving up Paul’s supporters...

http://www.ronpaulabilene.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cache/770a4_HEeD7.jpg

tangent4ronpaul
08-27-2012, 09:55 PM
MUTINY! - PLEASE MUTINY!

-t

WhistlinDave
08-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Regarding the article in the OP, am I the only one who is getting sick and tired of these recent news articles that say "insurgent candidates like Ron Paul" ???

They are trying to subliminally equate Ron Paul with a terrorist... Never before in the past have I seen a GRASSROOTS candidate referred to as an "insurgent."

Am I wrong here? Can anybody think of any examples from primaries in the past where someone was called an "insurgent"??

ShaneEnochs
08-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Holy shit, could this be the perfect storm?

DamianTV
08-28-2012, 01:57 AM
The Fox now rules the Hen House.

Ender
08-28-2012, 02:05 AM
Regarding the article in the OP, am I the only one who is getting sick and tired of these recent news articles that say "insurgent candidates like Ron Paul" ???

They are trying to subliminally equate Ron Paul with a terrorist... Never before in the past have I seen a GRASSROOTS candidate referred to as an "insurgent."

Am I wrong here? Can anybody think of any examples from primaries in the past where someone was called an "insurgent"??

It's been like that since the 2008 elections when Beck referred to RP supporters as terrorists because of the first successful "moneybomb". The whole "wacky/evil/bad/weird/cranky/unelectable RP and his supporters" attitudes from others sprang from that and has never stopped.

I've often wondered how much Beck was paid for that.

jbauer
08-28-2012, 09:53 AM
wow I can't for some reason get all the responses to open on yahoo but its quite clear that this isn't going to fly.

acptulsa
08-28-2012, 09:56 AM
Texas finally seems to be rallying around their own. Took them long enough. They usually don't take five years to back up another Texan.

Keep doing it right and we might just let you win the Red River Shootout this year. Oh, wait--will there be a Red River Shootout this year?